Ksenia Stolbova has a new partner?

Mad for Skating

The point is not the "next couple years." No one is winning an Olympic medal in the next couple years. Abachkina & Drozd could have the potential to bring home many medals over the course of a full career. Or . . . they could implode just like Abachkina & Thauron did quite often in major competition.

There's no way of knowing there.

I actually agree with DimaToe. But my guess is that there is no way Russia trades Stolbova because trading away an Olympic & World medalist would set a precedent the Russian Fed probably doesn't want to have to confront in the future. Theoretically, trading away Drozd seems more likely. But it's folly. There are not twenty more of him in Russian ice dance. It would, IMO, be like trading away Anissina. Very likely to come back and cost you big time.

Does Russia have the power to get both Novoselov & Abachkina? We may find out. Or we may never know.

Realistically, Stolbova COULD medal at the Olympics in 4 years, but ONLY if some things shift big time. Drozd definitely has talent, but I think it will take a while to come to fruition with him.

it sounds crazy to trade away your Olympic silver medalist, but I wouldn't put it past Russia.

Ideally Russia would be able to keep them both. But I don't want to be the one who has to fight Didier for them :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm thinking the figure skaters were used more to send a message to Russia. If they wanted to ensure Russia didn't get the gold, I think they would've targeted Zagitova, Medvedeva, or Tarasova/Morozov.
I don’t think targetting Medvedeva or Zagitova would work. Russia really believed that one of them will bring the gold medal. Taking that opportunity could lead to Russia not sending anyone as a protest. A bit like China cancelling ISU competitions now.

hanca

Values her privacy
Realistically, Stolbova COULD medal at the Olympics in 4 years, but ONLY if some things shift big time. Drozd definitely has talent, but I think it will take a while to come to fruition with him.

it sounds crazy to trade away your Olympic silver medalist, but I wouldn't put it past Russia.

Ideally Russia would be able to keep them both. But I don't want to be the one who has to fight Didier for them :lol:
I think Stolbova/Novoselov and Drozd with the french girl have roughly the same chance to suceed, each of them from a different reason.

Stolbova/Novoselov - what goes for them is that we all know the quality of Stolbova and we have seen it done by Savchenko (taking an average guy without much results and pushing him on her level). What goes against them is their age - they will have only one shot at the Olympics. Also, we know that Stolbova has the potential to be up there, but no one really knows about Novoselov’s potential. Does he really have what is needed? He hopefully has not reached his potential with Esbrat, but everyone has a limit on what they are capable. Is he capable to go up there?

Drozd - we know he has the talent, but will he manage to reach his potential? Having the talent is not enough if one never reaches his potential. There is plenty of skaters who never reach the top of their abilities. E.g. if Massott did not pair up with Savchenko, in four years he could retire as an average skater. Most Russian senior dancers in the last few years have shown their talent in the juniors and then never pushed it to the last bit to get to the top in seniors. His advantage is that he has time, but that stilll doesn’t guarantee that he will make it.

Eislauffan

Does Russia have the power to get both Novoselov & Abachkina? We may find out. Or we may never know.

Getting Angelique Abachkina is going to be more difficult for the Russian Fed than Novoselov, I think. I don't know if she was able to keep her Russian citizenship when she got her French citizenship. But even if she still has her Russian citizenship, she is now a French citizen and she has competed for France only. France can claim they invested in her career far more than they can for Novoselov.
Then I also believe that Angelique will prefer to continue to represent France as there is less competition. Russia might have not the top results in ice dance right now, but they have a lot of talented teams.

Eislauffan

Observations:

yes, Morozov is the one working with them.
Novoselov and Stolbova appear to still be feeling this out. ... If competition is a year off there's no reason to rush all this, but maybe both are still in the exploratory phase of whether or not this is going to work out, and if so that could be why there's been no big announcements regarding them.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I am sure they are still in their trial period. Ksenia said that she won't say anything before September when asked to comment on the rumors. The Russian Federation will make only an announcement or report when and if they officially team up.

breathesgelatin

I am a big fan of Abachkina, so my words come from that perspective. My belief is that if she can find a partner to work with, she can easily rise to France #2 and start going to Worlds every year, etc. France will likely have 3 spots for at least the next quad (as long as P/C are not retiring which I don't think they will). I don't think the way forward for Abachkina would be as clear if she tries to go to Russia.

hanca

Values her privacy
I wonder what Lola Esbrat is doing now. Hey, Charlie Bilodeau does have a French name...
The rumour was that she was at the skating camp with Bidar. Well, they were not there together-together, but they were the only pair skaters who were there without a partner. Saying that, if Esbrat did not get anywhere by now, I don’t think she is the partner Bidar had in mind when he wanted to split up with Duskova. It would be quite downgrade for him, and she would have release issues. He could have kept Osipova then.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Stolbova/Novoselov - what goes for them is that we all know the quality of Stolbova and we have seen it done by Savchenko (taking an average guy without much results and pushing him on her level). What goes against them is their age - they will have only one shot at the Olympics. Also, we know that Stolbova has the potential to be up there, but no one really knows about Novoselov’s potential. Does he really have what is needed? He hopefully has not reached his potential with Esbrat, but everyone has a limit on what they are capable. Is he capable to go up there?

I get what you're saying, but Aliona is a once-in-a-lifetime skater (living legend status, for sure). Stolbova is fabulous and has some amazing qualities, but always struggled with injuries, lacks consistency, not to mention the mysterious doping issues. I realize Stolbova is very popular on FSU, but it's kind of preposterous to suggest she's close to the same league as Savchenko.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see this partnership (if it's happening) going anywhere. I'm so ready for the next generation of Russian pairs (Boikova/Kozlovskii, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Galiamov) to step up and make an impact on the senior level.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Without reading every post, does she have a new partner or not?

Sometimes you have to read every post, or at least browse carefully to pull out the most pertinent info. ;):lol:

From what I've been able to gather, Novoselov & Klimova Stolbova are currently working in New Jersey with Morosov, but it's still up-in-the air (re finalizing a partnership). And throwing Stolbova up-in-the-air high enough is what Novoselov apparently needs to work on. :COP: :D

There's even a post here describing how they are looking in training sessions. :watch:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

:lol: Thanks for catching that. I always did get them mixed up. :shuffle: ;)

Or dang it, here's another excuse: Klimova of Klimova/Ponomarenko always gets stuck in my mind when I think of Stolbova/Klimov. :p Somewhat similar to my former occasional confusion with James/Cipres names because James sounds like a first name and Morgan sounds like a last name. :duh:

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I get what you're saying, but Aliona is a once-in-a-lifetime skater (living legend status, for sure). Stolbova is fabulous and has some amazing qualities, but always struggled with injuries, lacks consistency, not to mention the mysterious doping issues. I realize Stolbova is very popular on FSU, but it's kind of preposterous to suggest she's close to the same league as Savchenko.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see this partnership (if it's happening) going anywhere. I'm so ready for the next generation of Russian pairs (Boikova/Kozlovskii, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Galiamov) to step up and make an impact on the senior level.
Personally I don’t think it will happen either. But I wouldn’t discount the possibility because it has been done. Russia now has about ten junior pairs that within two-three years will all move to seniors. Obviously not all of them will survive. Puberty, injuries, split ups... But those juniors seem to be stronger than they have ever been and even if only half of them survived, that is still five new pairs fighting for three spots for Europeans and worlds, in addition to Boikova/Kozlovski, Pavliuschenko/Khodykhin and Tarasova/Morozov. Looking at Tarasova/Morozov, it took them two years to get from decent juniors to the top, so it may not be that long when any of those pairs will fill the gap that was created by Stolbova/Klimov splitting up. I don’t think Stolbova/Novoselov will be able to beat them. (Well, some of them they will beat, but not the best of them. Not the pair that may follow Tarasova/Morozov’s rise up.)

aftershocks

Banned Member
The new crop of Russian pairs are interesting, but as you point out @hanca, it still remains to be seen which teams will survive the obstacles of puberty, potential splits, injuries, and other complications. I suppose passion, determination and never giving up tend to be the keys to success even more-so than blazing talent. I'm interested in seeing passionate connection on the ice happening with a technically and aesthetically proficient Russian pair. There have been so many possessing the latter talent but few the former.

hanca

Values her privacy
The new crop of Russian pairs are interesting, but as you point out @hanca, it still remains to be seen which teams will survive the obstacles of puberty, potential splits, injuries, and other complications. I suppose passion, determination and never giving up tend to be the keys to success even more-so than blazing talent. I'm interested in seeing passionate connection on the ice happening with a technically and aesthetically proficient Russian pair. There have been so many possessing the latter talent but few the former.
I think, based on probability, because it is so many of them, some will survive and for Europeans/worlds there are only three spots a country can use. I don’t remember when the last time Russia or any other country had so many decent juniors coming through. In the last roughly 15 years that I have been watching junior pairs, it was always maximum 2-3 pairs coming through. And those pairs even have the jumps (most of them).

libecha

Nor was Bruno average across the board. In a lot of areas, yes, but in terms of strength, twists, etc. he came to the partnership with standout skills already. I feel like some skaters (Bilodeau, etc.) are taking the wrong message from S/M. Their story is truly crazy and is kind of the exception that proves the rule.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think, based on probability, because it is so many of them, some will survive and for Europeans/worlds there are only three spots a country can use. I don’t remember when the last time Russia or any other country had so many decent juniors coming through. In the last roughly 15 years that I have been watching junior pairs, it was always maximum 2-3 pairs coming through. And those pairs even have the jumps (most of them).

I like B/K https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapaUXNSYLs Is Moskvina coaching or choreographing them, or doing both? They definitely can not go wrong with Moskvina in their corner. :) Boikova has nice lines and good technical ability, but I notice she has trouble with unsteadiness on jump landings occasionally.

P/K are very good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cvsuKo2gPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OftHtwZriQw

M/G are talented, but I'm less impressed with them overall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf8A5l4i7ms

I find Panfilova/Rylov very impressive. They must be the youngest of this new crop. They seem to be like a Russian version of Sui/Han: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NWPGypMHY The question is whether Panfilova might continue to grow taller, like what happened to the magical partnership of Davankova/Deputat. Later, the sexy partnership of Bazarova/ Deputat somehow never got off the ground. I'm not sure why. I really liked B/D and I was rooting for them.

Efimova/Korovin are a very dynamic pair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9psxo_i040s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpcQFTE8Ok Korovin looks like a slightly taller version of Deputat

What all of these younger Russian pairs have got over T/M and Z/E is a more visibly passionate connection and an ability to project. IOW, they are not boring expressively. I can definitely see any of B/K, P/K, P/R and E/K surpassing Z/E. The thing is that all of these younger teams need more seasoning (i.e., experience and maturity).

Another interesting thing about the newer generation of Russian pairs is how much they seem to incorporate North American/ Western qualities/inspiration with their Russian aesthetic. I think that's indicative of the increasing globalization of the sport. It's also likely due to the fact that a few key North American teams and choreographers have had significant influential success in pairs, along with the very impactful German influence of Savchenko/ Szolkowy/ Steuer (more recently Savchenko/Massot). Also the French team of James/Cipres, who gained success with an American coaching team and initially a British choreographer (former ice dancer), have had an impact the last couple of seasons on the pairs discipline. In fact, it is ice dance influence that is currently revolutionizing pairs choreography. Add to the influence factor the extraordinary success of Chinese pairs (who rely heavily upon Western choreography/music combined with the unique acrobatic strengths of Chinese culture; plus their selfless devotion to aceing the basics of figure skating technique has been revolutionary).

ITA that Novoseov/Stolbova will have to meld well and really bring it in order to keep pace with or try to stay ahead of the up-and-coming young Russian teams. At this point, the N/S team is apparently still working on exploring whether they can percolate together on all cylinders.

Last edited:

kirkbiggestfan

I saw a lot of untapped potential in Esbrat/Novoselov. They did not have great training conditions in Paris. Once James/Cipres left Paris and got to real pair training centers, they improved a lot. Andrei is an amazingly talented pair skater but he never developed his strength in Paris. His body is not where it should be at his age. Bruno Massot and Morgan Cipres also had subpar training conditions, but they put up the work in the weight room. If Andrei puts up the work in the next olympic cycle, he could be a great match for Stolbova.

oleada

Panfilova and Rylov are not going anywhere with her jumps and their current coaching team.

Mishina/Galyamov have only been together a year; she can jump and is past puberty; plus he’s very tall. I’d give them time to develop.

I think Kostiukovich is a star in the making, but she’s still quite tiny and her partner isn’t particularly tall. I’m not 100% sure they’re a match forever but I like them regardless.

Boikova/Kozlovski have great basics and extension; so I hope they can develop consistency. Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin had an amazing year last year and I hope they can keep it up.

Looking forward to Atakhanova/Volodin debuting in the JGP because they looked fabulous for a team that’s only been together a few months.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am not sure if I like Mishina/Galyamov yet. They seem to skate quite heavy. (I don’t mean that they are heavy weighwise, but they skate as if it is a hard work.) If they improve their basic skating, I will definitely like them because I like the elements, I just don’t like anything between the elements. But I can imagine them being successful as seniors.

Kostiukovich - I like her skating, but I wish her jumps were more consistent. Far too often she falls. When they are clean, they are great, but too frequent falls (like one of their JGP event) completely spoils the impression. I am not worried about her height because she is 15 now. Other skaters her age have already done their growing, so hopefully she is done too.

Reactions: Rob

Emerald66

I doubt Stolbov and new guy will be the next S/M. There will never be another as far as I'm concerned. I wonder where Fedor is in all of this? From the young Russian pairs I agree with hanca. I love Boikova and Kozlovskii and hope they'll make big strides in seniors. I like Panfilova and Rylov too but obviously need to work on the jumps. Everything else is perfect though. I haven't seen Mishina yet with her new partner but I'm glad she moved on and has found someone more positive.

Mad for Skating

I don’t think targetting Medvedeva or Zagitova would work. Russia really believed that one of them will bring the gold medal. Taking that opportunity could lead to Russia not sending anyone as a protest. A bit like China cancelling ISU competitions now.

Ohhh clever...yeah, I think we would've heard an outrage if they had banned one of the girls. pair skaters are always treated as second-class citizens...

Mad for Skating

I think Stolbova/Novoselov and Drozd with the french girl have roughly the same chance to suceed, each of them from a different reason.

Drozd - we know he has the talent, but will he manage to reach his potential? Having the talent is not enough if one never reaches his potential. There is plenty of skaters who never reach the top of their abilities. E.g. if Massott did not pair up with Savchenko, in four years he could retire as an average skater. Most Russian senior dancers in the last few years have shown their talent in the juniors and then never pushed it to the last bit to get to the top in seniors. His advantage is that he has time, but that stilll doesn’t guarantee that he will make it.

Good point, good point. I guess I never thought of that. It will be interesting to watch these two couples and compare their progress.

Mad for Skating

I do sadly understand the gap between Savchenko and Stolbova, and I try not to get too hopeful. I would sell my soul for Stolbova but I'm afraid her inconsistencies on side-by-sides might hold her back from the top. I really hope she can prove us wrong...let's start the prayer circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information