Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

barbarafan

Yes, she could. In fact, she's my bet. Timing is everything. She has the skills and the motivation and she'll hit the Os at just the right age with regard to growth spurts.
Advice: Never try to preprogram growth spurts....especially the ladies...We come programmed to always have them at the worst time.

barbarafan

Hmmmm....I do have to wonder why she waited to tell them if that's the case. One, I'd be annoyed if I were Team Eteri as well, and two) she has to start over with completely new programs. She couldn't even use last seasons. The test skates are in September and that doesn't leave her much time. Even if the international GP events are cancelled, Russia's internal competitions will be fierce and they may well use them for all skaters with regard to getting an invitation to Russian nationals instead of just those who don't get GP spots. This could be a problem for Medvedeva as well if she actually goes back to Canada. Interesting possibilities.
The plan for Med seems to be follow the ice. Brian has been working with Med through zoom throughout.As the world changed the plans were adjusted. As she had that destroyed skate she was not on world team so did her short program b4 Pandemic...She was booked for seminars in Mexico so went there , stopping on way back to Canada with Shae LYnne to do the free program. She returned to Canada& continued work there until rinks closed so she left early for comittments in Japan which ended up in cancelled event but she had ice to work. As soon as ice ok in Moscow she left, did her quarantine and continued...she has ppl helping her there (Tarasova)along with Brian on Zoom. TCC has only been partially open for 2 weeks and she would have to quarantine 2 weeks if she went there now so makes more sense to stay in her home with her family and friends and business until test skates done at least.

lala

That actually felt like a reason to prove Yana the RV was a smart purchase :)
Trusova's parents ended up driving her to Kislovodsk, while Konstantinova didn't even get to go to the camp.

Konstantinova is in Volkov team and she is not the member of the Russian team now thus she couldn't travel in 1 of June. That was allowed for the members of Russian team.

lala

I suspect it's all about him. He's been the primary force behind the younger skaters. Maybe he wants to advance his career and thinks it will be easier to do at Plushenko's rink. We'll see how that works. Other coaches have looked there and left in a short time. I don't think this is about Tutberidze or Plushenko although both have the ego and name. Plushenko doesn't have any skaters on the national team or funding until Sergei brought Trusova with him. What he has are his shows and the money he makes with his wife. Hot Sergei is the one to watch to see what happens.

We are going to know more informations about Sasha Trusova' switch on 04.08. The Match TV will broadcast the documentary.

bardtoob

Julia left like half a decade ago, then got treated for an eating disorder and moved on with her life in a major way.

Eteri mentioning Julia at all is Eteri's problem alone. Normally I would say Eteri "needs to get a grip" but probably "let it go" is more appropriate.

Once Julia put forward a requirement not to go out on the same ice with Zhenya ... Then Zhenya refused to skate with Alina ... And now from Alena we have received a whole list of girls non grata. That's where we parted with her ...

The girls change but the behavior remains the same.

I am going to assume it is the team that elicits the behavior from the girls because I don't think the evidence indicates the ice and facilities elicit the behavior.

In addition to my previous thoughts, I hope Kostornaia says nothing.

However, let's get real, Kostornaia is already 16. Since Kostornaia is apparently very bright, she probably already saw a pattern and made a reasonable prediction about where she would be by 2022 if she stayed.

Maybe Shcherbakova, also being 16, will be in a better place since she has something that resembles a 4Lz, although picking with a full blade could cause the technical panel to call it a Loop jump or unlisted jump.

However, my guess is that the 14 year olds with quads in Eteri's group will be her favorites by 2022, like Zagitova was by 2018.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Maybe she can get a deal with Anta shoes. They are a Chinese company, so that can't hurt assuming the next Winter Games remain in Beijing.

lauravvv

Obviously she could not tell Eteri until she was ready to walk out the door as Eteri is vicious and spiteful to those who leave. Alena is right to be classy and make no comment as it serves nothing to lower herself to the level of a shrieking fish wife. I don't see any flowers in their future but you never know.
Sorry to bring it up again, but I thought pretty much the same about Medvedeva. She could not tell Tutberidze and the coaching team about her decision to leave before she had made sure she had where to go to, that is, before she had ascertained that Orser would take her and that the the Russian Fed was okay with it. It was just rational thinking.

barbarafan

Sorry to bring it up again, but I thought pretty much the same about Medvedeva. She could not tell Tutberidze and the coaching team about her decision to leave before she had made sure she had where to go to, that is, before she had ascertained that Orser would take her and that the the Russian Fed was okay with it. It was just rational thinking.
Well she was injured and not ready to skate unless more healing done (unless she wanted to be further injured) and after being hold to stay home and make babies........as well body changing old technique would not have worked. Eteri wanted her to retire not come back to skate. Med thought she had much more to offer and found a coaching team who believed in her and would give her the time to heal properly then rebuild. She had seen Eteri performances before and worked it out with Russian federation who informed Eteri. Very adult and classy.

starrynight

I actually think Kostornaya must have iron nerves to stare down both Eteri and Daniil in a corridor and tell them this.

I think that she's the first to actually do this face to face.

What a champ. She is clearly self-motivated in her choices to have the courage to do this.

hanca

Values her privacy
So Eteri lost two potential world/Olympic medallist (Trusova and Kostornaia) in just One summer? Who would have thought?
And one potential future champion (Russian novice champion with a quad and triple axel, even though she is not age eligible for juniors this coming season yet).

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I actually think Kostornaya must have iron nerves to stare down both Eteri and Daniil in a corridor and tell them this.

Well, Serafima Sakhanovich did, but the circumstances were indeed different

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
So Eteri lost two potential world/Olympic medallist (Trusova and Kostornaia) in just One summer? Who would have thought?
One. She still has Scerbakova and Valieva. If Usacheva/Khromyh can master some quads Tutberidze did not lose a thing.

hanca

Values her privacy
One. She still has Scerbakova and Valieva. If Usacheva/Khromyh can master some quads Tutberidze did not lose a thing.
Even if either of them got a quad, would they be competitive with Trusova who will have the whole set of quads? And Tuktamysheva is apparently working on a quad too, to add to her triple axel.

hanca

Values her privacy
No, about the past. In the past all Tutberidze's winners were 15-16. By 2022 Kostornaya/Trusova will be older (so will Scherbakova)
True, but in the past not many ladies were doing triple axel and quads. As there are now skaters who have those jumps, to be sent to worlds/Olympics, Tutberidze’s girls will need them too. Which is fine for Scherbakova and Valieva, but I am not sure whether any other Tutberidze’s girls (those who will be 15-16 at 2022 for the Olympics) will have the same chance as Zagitova had at 2018. With quads and 3A becoming more common in Russian ladies, the age may not be as important consideration any more. If Trusova/Scherbakova keep their quads and Kostornaya and Tuktamysheva can add some quads to their 3A, they will be easily beating those 15-16 year old.

bardtoob

I can’t keep up. We need a flow chart of recent Russian coaching changes or somebody just write a damned book.

:mitchell: Cultural appropriation!!! The Americans changed coaches like this first!!! :soapbox:

What a champ. She is clearly self-motivated in her choices to have the courage to do this.

:respec:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information