Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

airgelaal

I don't think calling out public actions is "aggressively condemning" or comparable to The Inquisition. The coaches at IAM see Nik in person every day and can express their support to him face to face. Publicly endorsing his denial (which effectively says the accuser is lying/wrong) goes beyond simply supporting him, it's making a statement.

This is an org that has publicly stated their commitment to ethics/conduct/no tolerance for abuse. IMO, calling out a statement that could be seen as contradictory is fair game. No one is spying on them behind closed doors, we're talking about what they have made public.
Then this is hypocrisy. In private you can support anyone, but publicly only the “victim”.
Don't get me wrong, I support victims and I'm glad they find the courage to speak up. But I'm not sure that such public censorship improves the situation.

Debbie S

Then this is hypocrisy. In private you can support anyone, but publicly only the “victim”.
Don't get me wrong, I support victims and I'm glad they find the courage to speak up. But I'm not sure that such public censorship improves the situation.
Nowhere in my post did I say they needed to make a statement to support the victim. What they should do is stay out of it publicly and wait for the investigation to be completed (and cooperate, if needed, with said investigation).

canbelto

Do I understand correctly that if someone is accused of something, then he should be treated like a leper? Even if it's family and friends?
I probably lived my life in vain if there is no one next to me who always believes in me no matter what. And it won’t matter whether I’m a “criminal” or a “victim”.

Well, scientifically, the vast majority of SA accusations are true. So if there is an accusation, odds are it is true. That's just fact. So if someone is accused of SA, most likely that person is guilty, so people are withing their rights to act accordingly.

airgelaal

Nowhere in my post did I say they needed to make a statement to support the victim. What they should do is stay out of it publicly and wait for the investigation to be completed (and cooperate, if needed, with said investigation).
But why? I know a lot of celebrities who maintain an excellent image in this way. Although in reality they are disgusting people who completely disrespect women. Wouldn't it be better to let them like such posts?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But why? I know a lot of celebrities who maintain an excellent image in this way. Although in reality they are disgusting people who completely disrespect women. Wouldn't it be better to let them like such posts?

A celebrity commenting on someone's social media post - someone they may not have any day to day interaction with - is very different from someone in charge of running a facility where people may be in regular contact with the accused.

leilaofpaper

In terms of liking a post revealing implications - if someone like a pro-Russian post on the war in Ukraine, I will assume they support Russia's actions. (Didn't a Ukrainian figure skater get dropped from the Ukrainian team for doing so? The one who was at the last Olympics) If someone likes Andrew Tate's tweets, that (to me) has implications that they agree with at least some of his messaging, and is a red flag to me.

So I agree that IAM's best course of action was not to like any of it, and wait for the results of the accusation. Especially if they have no idea who the accuser is. Imagine if it was one of their former students, and what it would feel like for that person.

canbelto

In terms of liking a post revealing implications - if someone like a pro-Russian post on the war in Ukraine, I will assume they support Russia's actions. (Didn't a Ukrainian figure skater get dropped from the Ukrainian team for doing so? The one who was at the last Olympics) If someone likes Andrew Tate's tweets, that (to me) has implications that they agree with at least some of his messaging, and is a red flag to me.

So I agree that IAM's best course of action was not to like any of it, and wait for the results of the accusation. Especially if they have no idea who the accuser is. Imagine if it was one of their former students, and what it would feel like for that person.

And during the start of the Russian-Ukraine war, there were people keeping tabs on who liked some posts by Plushenko or Polunin. So if that was okay then, it's okay now.

VGThuy

But aren’t you calling for people to censor themselves when they want to react to another person’s public display of support?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
People are entitled to "like" someone's comments. However, they should be ready to defend their like.

When someone is the face of an organization (likr M-F and IAM), PR 101 says no public like or dislike. Especially on social media. Especially if an investigation is involved.

puglover

As I understand it, there is nothing preventing them from skating. The main point of the post was to announce that out of respect for their fellow athletes they were voluntarily withdrawing. Had they chosen to skate, IAM would have been in a much more difficult position so maybe they are just showing their agreement with this decision.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As I understand it, there is nothing preventing them from skating. The main point of the post was to announce that out of respect for their fellow athletes they were voluntarily withdrawing. Had they chosen to skate, IAM would have been in a much more difficult position so maybe they are just showing their agreement with this decision.

Except that Nic's post, which they liked, stated that the allegations were false.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Well, scientifically, the vast majority of SA accusations are true. So if there is an accusation, odds are it is true. That's just fact. So if someone is accused of SA, most likely that person is guilty, so people are withing their rights to act accordingly.

Absolutely false and ridiculous. You cannot use statistics to draw conclusions about an individual case. This is covered in day one of introductory statistics.

leilaofpaper

Absolutely false and ridiculous. You cannot use statistics to draw conclusions about an individual case. This is covered in day one of introductory statistics.
You cannot use it to say with certainty that someone is guilty, that I agree with. You can't use a statistic to throw someone into jail with no trial. But you can use it to infer that there is a high chance that the accusation is true. No one is saying we know what happened with a hundred percent surety. What we are saying is given the information that exists, and the very low incidence of false reports, we are choosing to believe the accuser at this stage.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
What we are saying is given the information that exists, and the very low incidence of false reports, we are choosing to believe the accuser at this stage.

And what others are saying is that, given the presumption of innocence that exists under the law and the evidence that 2-10% of reports of sexual assault are estimated to be false, we are opposed to imposing punishment without due process. I am not sure why this opinion does not warrant the same respect.

FWIW I believe the accuser, on balance, but I am not certain enough to impose irreparable harm on the accused.

ballettmaus

Why is the concept of free speech does not equal free from consequences so hard to understand? Of course, you can publicly support anyone you want. No one here is saying different. But just like everyone is free to support anyone they want, everyone is free to criticize anyone they want for said support and that is what is happening here.

sus2850

Are you all sure that Marie-France liked his instagram post? I do not see her name there.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Are you all sure that Marie-France liked his instagram post? I do not see her name there.

Yes she did. I think you can only see the latest likes on Laurence’s and Nikolaj’s posts - but if you follow Marie-France’s account (mf_dubreuil) you can see her like too. I just checked and her like is still there.

airgelaal

some skaters quietly removed their likes. Why? Obviously because they were contacted and explained that the fans were furious and it would be bad for their image. But many smart people did nothing and maintained their image of handsome princes. This is the hypocrisy. The real thoughts of the skaters are not important to anyone, the main thing is that everything is correct in public. What about their possible victims? Who will warn them?
The IAM's action is now a red flag for many. Is this bad for skaters?

P.S. Unfortunately, not everyone understands SA the same way. Many people do not believe that the victim is lying, but they support the accused simply because they do not consider what happened to be SA. We live in a world where there is no universal concept of "norm". Neither from the moral side, nor from the legal side. It's not fair, but that's the reality.

P.P.S. And it’s strange for me to read that here posts in support of a real war are compared with posts about possible crimes. Moreover, I have always been grateful to those skaters who were not afraid to show their disgusting faces, and did not hide behind silence with all the invented excuses about it.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
some skaters quietly removed their likes. Why? Obviously because they were contacted and explained that the fans were furious and it would be bad for their image.
We don't know that. Maybe they thought it over and changed their minds. Maybe they talked with friends or fellow skaters who said, "Hey, I've been in a similar situation to the victim, and it bothers me that you expressed support for the accused." Maybe it was something else. We can't know their reasons without their giving them.

nlloyd

P.S. Unfortunately, not everyone understands SA the same way. Many people do not believe that the victim is lying, but they support the accused simply because they do not consider what happened to be SA. We live in a world where there is no universal concept of "norm". Neither from the moral side, nor from the legal side. It's not fair, but that's the reality.
Sorry, I am not understanding this point. Are you saying that there are people who read the victim's very graphic account and didn't consider it to be sexual assault? To me her description is definitive of sexual assault.

BittyBug

Disgusted
You know people or of people who don't think that the actions so graphically described in the complaint don't constitute sexual assault? Wow.

airgelaal

Sorry, I am not understanding this point. Are you saying that there are people who read the victim's very graphic account and didn't consider it to be sexual assault? To me her description is definitive of sexual assault.
where did I write that it was about this specific case?

nlloyd

some skaters quietly removed their likes. Why? Obviously because they were contacted and explained that the fans were furious and it would be bad for their image. But many smart people did nothing and maintained their image of handsome princes. This is the hypocrisy. The real thoughts of the skaters are not important to anyone, the main thing is that everything is correct in public
I don't think that the silence of skaters indicates hypocrisy. To argue this is to assume skaters who have been silent believe the accused, and know for a fact that he is innocent, but aren't sharing their knowledge. There are many other possible reasons for their silence. Skaters may not know what to think, they may support the accuser, but want to wait for the results of the investigation before commenting, they may support the accused but be waiting for the results of the investigation. There are many possible reasons for their silence that do not reflect hypocrisy.

canbelto

Did you read the account? Nothing ambiguous about it. It was straight PIV rape.
I really hate all these disingenuous "but what if" posts. It seems as if when it comes to SA people are deliberately obtuse. The facts are:
1. Only 2-10% of accusations of SA are false.
2. SA is severely underreported
3. SA is severely underpunished
4. SA is notoriously difficult to prosecute because of the stigma against the accuser, and also because of jury prejudice
5. If this account is true, Nik raped a woman. He didn't drunkenly grope her (which is disgusting and illegal, but on a slightly different level). He raped her.

Desperado

I really wish we could have a separate thread where “he didn’t do it to me so he couldn’t possibly be guilty, innocent if I didn’t see it, won’t anyone think of the poor men, and what’s SA, anyways?” posts that make me want to vomit would go and we would be left with only news about cases and suspensions.

And don’t bother to tell me to mute posters or the thread, that I got it wrong and/or to go away, because that would be asking me to censor my thoughts which are a lot more valid than the BS I’m seeing here.

airgelaal

You know people or of people who don't think that the actions so graphically described in the complaint don't constitute sexual assault? Wow.
Actually, yes. I know a "victim" who happily told her friend that she slept with the guy of her dreams, and the friend wanted to go to the police with her because she considered what she was saying to be rape. I know everyone involved in the story and in fact I always thought that man was a scumbag, but even 20 years later I don’t know what to think. And at the time, this story became a revelation in my small inner circle. we started talking about what is ok and what is not ok. Many of the answers surprised me. But this story helped me build my personal boundaries differently and immediately speak up if something is not okay with me. Things that were obvious to me were not so obvious to others.

canbelto

Actually, yes. I know a "victim" who happily told her friend that she slept with the guy of her dreams, and the friend wanted to go to the police with her because she considered what she was saying to be rape. I know everyone involved in the story and in fact I always thought that man was a scumbag, but even 20 years later I don’t know what to think. And at the time, this story became a revelation in my small inner circle. we started talking about what is ok and what is not ok. Many of the answers surprised me. But this story helped me build my personal boundaries differently and immediately speak up if something is not okay with me. Things that were obvious to me were not so obvious to others.

Blame the victim. How old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information