Kavaguti / Smirnov have completed their careers and retired

Tinami Amori

Maybe some of the ten years has already gone by. Maybe she can live there without having full citizenship yet?

For her own benefit, reclaiming Japanese citizenship and re-entering Japanese tax system is to her advantage, as there is big difference between Japanese Retirement/Pension system and Russian, including quality of medical care.

http://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/english/nationalpension/nationalpension.html
http://www.pensionfundsonline.co.uk/content/country-profiles/russia/110

Kateri

void beast
I forgot - I always felt a weird kinship with her because she is almost exactly my age! Not sure there's anyone else still competing I can say that about! :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I first saw Yuko skate at the 2001 worlds, for Japan. Next I saw her skate at the US nationals in 2006 with an American partner. Finally she found Sasha and their partnership gave me hope, joy, and heartbreaks due to the injuries. I admired them sticking together despite the injuries and accomplishing a lot over the years. I wish they won an Olympic medal and a world but it was not meant to be. I wish them lots of luck in the future. They were one of the unluckiest pairs but they always fought through it all and earned my respect. My favorite programs of K&S are Claire de Lune and Manfred Symphony. Will think of more later. I can't help feeling sad that we won't see them competing again.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
:40beers:Farewell, K/S! Not the tidiest pair out there but certainly originals! I'll never forget the time when Yuko popped her shoulder & put the upper-arm back into the socket during one of their 2009/10 season routines. She wore the famous red "transition costume" when she yanked the top to reveal a heart. Thanks for the memories!

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I hope Yuko applies for reinstatement of her Japanese citizenship.
Does she want to get back Japanese citizenship? I am sure Japan will always have an important part in her heart, but at the same time, she has lived the majority of her adult life in Russia, studied uni there, built her life, and it is possible that her future career will be in Russia. She may have to look at the practical side, what is better for her future. If her career and her future life will be in Russia, it may be easier to remain Russian. If, on the other hand, she decides to move to Japan and put together proper Japanese pair school, it may be easier for her to get back Japanese citizenship.

S

SmallFairy

A bit OT but... @Ka3sha Can you tell me anything about the composer Leonid Levashkevich? Google didn't give much info, just videos, and I can't find him on Spotify either.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
:40beers:Farewell, K/S! I'll never forget the time when Yuko popped her shoulder & put the upper-arm back into the socket during one of their Olympics2010 routines. And the famous red "transition costume" when she yanked the top to reveal a heart. Thanks for the memories.

I'll never forget how relentlessly nasty you were about Yuko for so many years.

Oh and it was 2010 Europeans where she dislocated her shoulder, popped it back in and went on to win the title. :p

3T3T

It's very sad news, but unsurprising and being honest somewhat expected. I really grew to love them as a couple. I loved their Clare de Lune and February programmes. It was so disappointing to see them miss the Sochi Olympics but great to see them return the following season.

When I seen Mannfred for the first time at Skate America, I was blown away. It was amazing, the drama, the passion, everything about that programme was outstanding. I've lost time of the number of times I watched it. It was old school Russian skating, brilliant. For them to then win the Europeans after all they had been through capped off a perfect comeback.

When they announced a year later that their short was to Babs and Brian's 'I finally found someone', I was not impressed. But on seeing it, I loved it. It summed them and their career up. Again I've lost track of how many times I watched it.

I wish them the best of luck in their future careers and thank them for the many wonderful performances they gave us over the years. They will be missed.

easilydistracte

Geezette
Not a huge surprise, but I'd been hoping against hope that they'd be able to manage at least one more competitive season. It wouldn't have mattered much to me what the results would have been, just to be able to see them skate again, though it would have been delightful having them on the podium. I would have loved to have seen them skate to new, beautiful programs choreographed by Peter T. Their partnership with him was magical, I thought. My favorites were "The Swan" SP and, of course, Clare de Lune, February and Mannfred. (Always wished that they had competed their "Cats" SP.)

I wonder if Moskvina will retire now? She once called K&S her "life's work," if I remember correctly. I guess Vasiliev and Smirnov will carry on for her, once she does retire.

I'm still hoping that the Japan/Russia connection will result in a joint venture of sorts between St Petersburg and Japan to develop Japan's pairs skating program. Yuko can be the bridge :) .

Many, many thanks, Yuko and Sasha. May you have much success and happiness in the future!

Ka3sha

A bit OT but... @Ka3sha Can you tell me anything about the composer Leonid Levashkevich? Google didn't give much info, just videos, and I can't find him on Spotify either.
He's a modern composer from St Petersburg (originally from Belarus).
Here is his interview from 2014 (obviously in Russian)
Few works:
'Summer rain' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z5WvZktbSE
'Elegy' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC6eVou5eqY
'February' (performed by himself) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPoTCvt1ug

S

SmallFairy

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
Their style wasn't my taste, but I've always admired their work ethic, dedication to the quad throw, Yuko's sacrifice in relinquishing her Japanese citizenship, and her almost unheard of longevity in skating.

For comparison, Michelle Kwan is only 1 year 4 mos older than Yuko, and Yuko was born in the same year as Takeshi Honda...and yet she was being catapulted into quad throws well into her 30s. :respec:

caseyedwards

It's true that they were the hope of Russia from 2007-2010 and a strong team. Yuko passion has a lot to do with it. She kept Russia pairs afloat. Her passion for it is legendary. Needs HOF membership immediately with no dispute. She reset her shoulder in the middle of a skate. I mean come on. Everyone knows about euros 2010 free skate.

Amantide

I always had mixed feelings about them as I was never a fan of Yuko's skating, but a huge fan of her as an athlete. She exemplified the sheer determination and courage a pair woman has to have. She even gave up her national citizenship in order to compete which is no small thing. I'm so sorry they missed the Olympics in their home country due to injury after so many years of hard work. I was so proud of them for coming back and winning that 2nd European title. I know Smirnov has begun coaching and I hope both of them find happiness and success in whatever they do moving forward.

This. :40beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information