Kathy Casey has passed away

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Surprised that no-one has posted anything yet. I only know about this because people are paying tribute on Facebook.

She was obviously a very well-respected coach and member of the skating community. Condolences to her family and friends.

maureenfarone

Surprised that no-one has posted anything yet. I only know about this because people are paying tribute on Facebook.

She was obviously a very well-respected coach and member of the skating community. Condolences to her family and friends.
I checked on line and there is no info on her death. I don't follow her on FB, but if true this is sad and condolences to her family and friends.

Aussie Willy

There have been quite a few coaches and skaters in Australia posting about her passing and paying tribute.

clairecloutier

Yes, I have seen some posts from American coaches/skating people this morning, as well. Very sorry to hear about this. :(

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Kathy also worked with a lot of Australian skaters such as Cheltzie Lee, Danielle & Stephen Carr, and Miriam Manzano.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Plusdinfo

Thank you for making us aware. The one time I made it to Colorado Springs (many years ago), my family and I popped into the Broadmoor to take a look around. I think it was Kathy who initiated a conversation, not me, as she flashed a huge smile and asked if I was a skater. Since I was a young male, she may have hoped I could join her stable or she may have hoped I was adding to the number of males skating in the U.S. Regardless, she was very warm and pleasant, and I was a bit surprised that this coach I had seen on national TV was just chatting with me like it was the most normal thing to do.

My condolences to any of you who were close to her.

B.Cooper

Some of the skaters that Kathy had worked with over the years.... Scott Davis, Lily Lee, Nicole Bobek,
Scott Hamilton, Rosalynn Sumners, Scott Williams, Steve Rice, Shelby Lyons, Sydne Vogel and Damon Allen.

A terrific blog from Polly Kolstad re: the 2010 Olympics and Kathy's legacy:

And, as her career as a coach was slowing down, she became an internet sensation bc of her holiday sweaters

She will be missed.

Sylvia

TBD
Professional Skaters Association has tweeted: https://twitter.com/ProfSk8rsAssoc/status/1174005294030102529
Link to their tribute on IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hRpujHyXP/
Also on their FB: https://www.facebook.com/ProfSk8rsAssoc/photos/a.137271976318639/2507800102599136/?type=3&theater
It is with great sadness that we hear of the passing of PSA Past President, Kathy Casey on September 16.
Kathy, a World & Olympic figure skating coach, was the 12th President of the Professional Figure Skating Association from 1989 – 1994.
A legend, extraordinary woman, loved and admired by so many around the world, she will be deeply missed 💔

PSA Awards presented to Kathy Casey.
*1999 Honorary Member and Lifetime Achievement Award, the highest recognition bestowed by the Association to a member who has given of themselves in time, effort, and dedicated service for many years to accomplish the goals of the PSA (now known as the Shulman Award for Lifetime Achievement)
*PSA Hall of Fame class of 2008. The highest award of recognition by the PSA, the Figure Skating Coaches Hall of Fame recognizes a lifetime of accomplishment in coaching. Through the success of their athletes and/or their profound contribution to the coaching profession these coaches have made a significant impact.
*2009 Sonja Henie Award, presented to a female, professional skater or coach who has brought recognition to the sport in a positive and favorable manner
*2018 F. Ritter Shumway Award, presented to a person in the skating world who has earned distinction for unending dedication and significant contribution to the world of figure skating.
She certainly contributed greatly to the sport of figure skating. :encore:RIP.

Last edited:

KBaker

Hello all,

Family friend of Kathy's here. Your comments and condolences have been wonderful to read. Some of you have been asking for more information. Kathy passed away on Monday evening peacefully in her sleep. It was a shock but not entirely unexpected. Her former student and friend (my mom) was at her bedside, and Kathy had visits from other friends that day too. She wasn't alone. Kathy's sister and friends will likely plan a service, but I don't have much information at this time.

Again, thank you for your warm words. This is a time of grieving for us, her family, and the great skating community she nurtured. Kathy touched many people and we'll remember her always.

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you so very much @KBaker for registering here to post! :) Here is a series of five tweets from someone I know who was moved to share some fond personal memories of Kathy Casey: https://twitter.com/ThreePatchCocoa/status/1174086524469698560

@Plusdinfo, thank you for sharing your anecdote. While I didn't know Kathy well myself, what you wrote rings true of the jovial, outgoing and engaging person she seemed to be toward everyone. For some reason, I recall a brief encounter with her while riding on the light rail system either to or from the Rose Garden arena (now Moda Center) in Portland, Oregon during 2005 U.S. Nationals. I don't remember what we chatted about but she was just so humorous, friendly and easy to talk to.

My sincere condolences to you, @KBaker, and all who were privileged to know her well.

ElleL

My home club hosted Midwestern sectionals almost 30 years ago. I think Kathy Casey had a skater in just about every event, which was a great testament to her success as a coach. She was very kind to the volunteers despite her hectic schedule, unlike many of the other coaches.

snoopysnake

Sad news to hear. She coached so many elite skaters and was such a constant presence in K'n'C on the US telecasts. RIP, Ms. Casey.

Aussie Willy

Hello all,

Family friend of Kathy's here. Your comments and condolences have been wonderful to read. Some of you have been asking for more information. Kathy passed away on Monday evening peacefully in her sleep. It was a shock but not entirely unexpected. Her former student and friend (my mom) was at her bedside, and Kathy had visits from other friends that day too. She wasn't alone. Kathy's sister and friends will likely plan a service, but I don't have much information at this time.

Again, thank you for your warm words. This is a time of grieving for us, her family, and the great skating community she nurtured. Kathy touched many people and we'll remember her always.
Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated. Glad that our messages can get to the people who were close to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information