Kaetlyn Osmond retires from competition

chantilly

Think it’s for the best. She left on a high note.
And I think she’d really struggle in this next quad technically.

Tinami Amori

I would not mind seeing Piaf programme once again, but other than that, best of luck to her in her next steps.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Uggg she has been one of my (if not the) most favorite Lady of the past 5-7 years...

I was expecting it but she brought the excitement for me.....

Powerful jumps, expressive, couldnt take eyes off her...

I knew it was coming but was holding out (for a gay hero) lol

best of luck! Wish we coulda gotten one more cycle... but Ill pick up the pieces!

Oh Dear,I hope Caro aint next :( Then what do I do?

aml78

She was a very special talent. This isn’t at all surprising (especially since her fall tour commitment was essentially a retirement announcement) but it doesn’t make my heart hurt any less. I will miss her mature, laid back, presence and her strong athletic skating. She really was a breath of fresh air. I’m happy to see her go out on a high note and wish her nothing but the best in the future.

Rock2

I think the key point in her statement is surpassing her competitive goals. When you do that, I have to think it's hard to find the motivation to keep going if you don't have an insatiable desire for more.

I seem to remember Jennifer Robinson appearing in quite a number of skating shows after she retired. With KO's resume by comparison, I think her agents will find a lot for her to do in appearances and endorsements. Lots to look forward to, I think.

honey

Not surprised, but still taking a moment to think about a fantastic career! I was an uber from the first time I saw her as a senior at nationals and it was great to see it all come together for her in 2018. Especially considering that for so long it looked like the injuries might be too much to overcome, despite her talent.

:40beers: to a great competitive career, KO! I hope she has a great pro career ahead of her :)

coppertop1

All the best to her. :) She gave me one of the nicest surprises at worlds last year. Last flight, ok she's got the bronze......she might have the silver..........oh holy shit she's got the gold. :biggrinbo

I don't think anyone saw that coming. Kaetlyn was the epitome of a clutch skater. She always peaked at the big events when it mattered most.
I think the key point in her statement is surpassing her competitive goals. When you do that, I have to think it's hard to find the motivation to keep going if you don't have an insatiable desire for more.

I seem to remember Jennifer Robinson appearing in quite a number of skating shows after she retired. With KO's resume by comparison, I think her agents will find a lot for her to do in appearances and endorsements. Lots to look forward to, I think.

I agree. Similar to Jeff Buttle. Go out on a high note. I'm sure she'll be in lots of tours. She's a natural performer.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And I think she’d really struggle in this next quad technically.

Osmond's technical talent was always far superior than most of her contemporaries. In Osmond's career, the issue for her often had more to do with nerves and confidence. And later in her career, she had to battle back from injuries. In what has turned out to be her final season, Osmond should have been considered just as much in the running for the 2018 Olympic gold medal in singles as either of the top-touted Russian ladies! But as we know, the political terrain, rep status and buzz factor has been dictated in Russian ladies' favor ever since the 2014 Olympics. That's not putting down the talent of the Russian jumping phenoms, it's just a sad fact that their PCS are too often over-inflated.

OTOH, Osmond is not only a talented jumper, she's also an expressive and entertaining skater who was blossoming into a true artist. Alas, without a professional tour, and with a scarcity of shows, there won't be as much opportunity for fans to see Osmond continue to grow as a performer. And that's a huge loss. :( I'm thinking of skaters like Biellmann, Sato, Yamaguchi, et al, who had the chance to further develop and hone their skills in the heydey of more substantial pro and show opportunities.

Of course, in part, Osmond needed to be much more aggressive competitively when the 2017 -2018 season kicked off. While she managed to medal on the GP, she never really made a strong case in the early part of the season that she was going to be reliably consistent, against Zagitova in particular. It's to Osmond's credit that she took advantage of landing in third place in the sp at 2018 Olympics, by coming on strong in the fp to maintain her third place position. I could see how much being in third after the sp boosted Osmond's confidence to stay in medal contention and grab that bronze in singles.

So, like a few other Canadian skaters, Osmond has a full complement of Olympic medals: 2014 Team silver, 2018 Team gold, and bronze in ladies singles (ETA: In addition to her 2018 World gold medal, which was thrilling to witness, in what we now know was the cap-off to her career; Black Swan was great for her, and I can only hope she explores that program further in exhibition). Osmond had nothing more to prove, but she still had a lot more left to give. The sport as currently constituted just doesn't allow skaters to fully blossom. Not these days with teenybopper phenoms quadrupling and triple-axeling their way into the history books stats, but never into our hearts or our fond memories, at least not into mine. And that's for sure.

Congratulations and best wishes to Kaetlyn Osmond! Thanks for the memories! :encore:

Last edited:

Flora

I remember looking up Kaetlyn when she was coming up with Gracie Gold. They competed at quite a few competitions together (circa 2012) and I always thought Gold had the upper edge (e.g. packaging, jumps, spins, etc.). No way I would've thought back then that Kaetlyn would be a world champion or Olympic medalist but I'm so glad she persevered (especially with all her injuries). She deserves all her success and has inspired a new generation of skaters in Canada. By all accounts, she's an awesome role model and a great person. Her powerful and big skating will be missed! However, I can understand at 23 why she's ready to move on. She has accomplished A LOT and we were lucky to have her.

coppertop1

All these retirements in Canadian skating remind me of 1994 when Kurt, Isabelle/Lloyd and Josee all went pro. I look forward to the new talent coming up but some skaters you just hate to say goodbye to.

I remember looking up Kaetlyn when she was coming up with Gracie Gold. They competed at quite a few competitions together (circa 2012) and I always thought Gold had the upper edge (e.g. packaging, jumps, spins, etc.). No way I would've thought back then that Kaetlyn would be a world champion or Olympic medalist but I'm so glad she persevered (especially with all her injuries). She deserves all her success and has inspired a new generation of skaters in Canada. By all accounts, she's an awesome role model and a great person. Her powerful and big skating will be missed! However, I can understand at 23 why she's ready to move on. She has accomplished A LOT and we were lucky to have her.

Figure skating can be so unpredictable. Who would have thought after Sochi that Lipnitskaya, Edmunds, Sotnikova and Gold wouldn't be at the next Olympics?

I knew Kaetlyn could accomplish great things but I think she exceeded our expectations and hers.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well, I had to just sit down with the surprise of it all.

I really, really like Kaetlyn, and I think it is so selfish of her.....now I won't be able to enjoy her competing.

Really, though, glad she is retiring. She deserves a life!

Finsta

The skater that handed Zagitova her only loss that year. Glad she will go out on a high

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information