Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So Meghan never became a UK citizen?

:lol: There are lengthy residency requirements involved. Yes, Meghan was going through the process, but it takes a number of years to obtain UK citizenship, which also requires living there primarily for a period of time. That appears to be something which isn't going to happen at this point. No loss either, btw. Who would want to become citizen of a country that harbors in some quarters such rabid, racist attitudes and press coverage toward them! I'm not talking about the lovely down-to-earth people in Britain who kindly supported Meghan and Harry, and who enthusiastically came out to greet them during community visits and at their memorable wedding.

Many royal observers and people in general are seemingly very interested in everything about Meghan and Harry, while at the same time believing the negative, fabricated lies of the British media which often are sadly perpetuated and/or speculated upon in the mainstream U.S. media. I always filter and look further to find more straightforward, viable sources.

All the detailed wondering about what visa Harry might be on is amusing to me. I mean I used to work in immigration law, but I don't think it warrants as much interest or scrutiny as the topic is receiving. ;) There are many people who are British citizens who live in the U.S. for lengthy periods of time on certain visas related to why they are here. Some of them eventually become U.S. citizens, including a number of actors. I don't think Harry would ever give up British citizenship, nor do I see him becoming a dual citizen, but we'll see what the future holds. When Archie turns 18, he may end up holding dual citizenship, or else he may decide to choose. That's also in the future.

It's cool that M&H visited the bakery which is part of a local community charity in L.A. They responsibly wore masks, and helped out with other volunteers in preparing baked goods.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Zoom. I get quite a few requests to attend public speaking engagements over zoom.

Yep, as I said earlier. Zoom is the current reality for many groups, organizations, and families. There are so many figure skating Zoom chats taking place now, which has been great to see in view of the absence of live, competitive skating.

Another positive thing I've heard is that SmartWorks (Meghan's patronage) has been working closely with the women of Luminary Bakery (a social enterprise launched in London to assist homeless, struggling, abused and down-on-their-luck females in becoming employed and rehabilitating their lives). Meghan championed Luminary Bakery and brought attention to their enterprise in the pages of British Vogue during her guest editorship last year.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ We don't know anything about their arrangements in this regard @kittyjake, except for the report that M&H signed with the Harry Walker agency apparently for the purposes of pursuing speaking engagements at some point. After reading the report, as usual, speculation ensued as to when, why, how, and whatever for, followed by opportunity to find humor. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I can't wait till the Omid Scobie book comes out to disprove all the OTT speculation and pre-empting of what might be in it by the British media in cahoots with palace factions. The latest silly narrative is that palace aides 'are worried William will be presented in a bad light.' Hmmm, say what? :p How preposterous is such a worry if in fact Wills has always been on his best behavior and harmlessly benevolent toward his brother and sister-in-law. :duh:

First of all, the book is not being written by M&H. Second of all, Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand are monarchists and journalists who are likely not going to get specific about possible questionable behavior by individual members of the royal firm. I feel Omid's book will be about its subjects solely. In mentioning the royal firm, probably the most which might be said is that Harry's family were not supportive in standing with him & Meghan against relentless abuse by the British tabloids.

The royal firm operates in many mysterious ways, so the book recently announced by Robert Lacey (a veteran, retired royal reporter) about William and Harry 'the battling brothers,' is surely going to be an additional buffer intended to explain the firm's version of what went wrong. And thus, to minimize any possible p.r. image damage to the firm and to William. After all, William is the monarchy's future, and no matter his true character and behavior behind-the-scenes, he must be protected at all costs, at least to a beneficial degree that preserves status quo for the firm. Lacey's book is scheduled for release in November.

I agree with the view that the firm itself isn't overly worried about Omid's book (debuting in August), but they are interested in pre-empting any possible revelations of what they know actually happened, so they aren't sitting back on their thumbs waiting. They are throwing lots of p.r. 'clean-up' out there to see what might stick. :lol: The sandbagging, pre-empting and gaslighting against the Sussexes is pretty blatant, and it's especially obvious to those royal observers who haven't been burying their heads in the sand regarding the current royal soap opera.

Anything that the royal firm is seriously worried about (e.g., on the level of Prince Andrew's Epstein-related scandal), they simply ignore and try to sweep under the rug, not continually highlight. :p Methinks the book about the Sussexes is actually being used by the firm as fodder to continue pacifying the hungry media monsters, and as a shield to distract from the more serious Prince Andrew concerns. Has anyone noticed how ByLineInvestigates' serious revelations about KP-staff-related 'cash for Sussex leaks' uncovered via a whistleblower, have simply been ignored by mainstream media outlets. :judge:

The Lacey book will likely attempt to tie-up the Wales brothers' sibling rivalry drama and the Sussexes' departure in as neat and tidy a bow as can possibly be mustered. This, after everyone gets to see what's actually in Omid's book. Guffaw. What a royal mess, that ain't really even about Meghan and Harry, btw. :watch:

kittyjake5

aftershocks

Banned Member
Photos of Harry and Meghan volunteering at the Home Boy Industries in LA along with a nice
video piece from ET.

Thanks for sharing. The below video from Access Hollywood shows the founder of the Homeboy Industries program, Father Greg Boyle, discussing the visit by Meghan and Harry. It's a good listen. He said that Meghan utilized her Spanish-speaking skills, and that both M&H engaged in a down-to-earth, supportive way with the other volunteers.

As well, I don't know if anyone heard about it, but a terrible hate crime occurred to a young woman (18-year-old, Althea Bernstein) in Wisconsin. A local NAACP leader spoke to Meghan and Harry, and then Meghan spoke directly to Ms. Bernstein to offer support and comfort. Harry also joined in on the conversation briefly. Meghan asked for Ms. Bernstein's phone number to keep in touch. Meghan also promised to be supportive to the young people in that region. This exchange was tweeted by the NAACP leader. Meghan was quoted as saying: "My faith is greater than any fear in my heart. If there is anything you all need from me, I am here."

aftershocks

Banned Member
In other news:

Just wow. IMO, there's no upstanding reason for the rest of the British royals to feel in any way 'threatened' by the goals M&H have for their lives. If the British royals and the courtiers feel 'threatened' as they apparently do with all the machinations that are going on, then that says more about what the British royals have to hide, and it says more about the royal firm's peculiar insecurities than it does anything about Meghan and Harry and the good things they are doing in L.A. :duh:

In regard to Meghan and her attorneys having to file more court documents with the personal statements by Meghan, it is in response to the up-to-no-good Fail Online's nefarious attempts to aggressively and repeatedly demand more 'discovery' details that they can then use as fodder for more trash articles that give them clicks and money. The Fail Online is also attempting to bulldoze their way into making this case about something that it's not about. I don't see why the judge continues to allow the Daily Fail and the Fail Online to make these demands and then use the information to write provocative tittle tattle. A gag order should be placed on the Fail publishers!

As far as the trash royal reporters, UGH! They aren't fooling discerning people, many of whom are calling them out on Twitter.

ETA:
Tabloids, royal reporters, royal courtiers and any oppositional members of the British royal family should take heed of Meghan's words to the NAACP rep in Wisconsin: "My faith is greater than any fear in my heart..." The same obviously goes for Harry too. He was born to be a soldier.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
A new video released by the Queen's Commonwealth Trust, shows M&H in conversation with young leaders from around the Commonwealth:

The young people in this video are very impressive in their passion for social justice, as well as in expressing themselves about working for equality and for a better world.

The way Meghan speaks so articulately off the cuff is also quite impressive. Harry as well demonstrates a level of compassion and emotional intelligence very reminiscent of his mother. The Sussexes do seem determined to continue putting hard work, organizational skill, advocacy and fundraising toward important issues the world is facing in this crucial moment.

ITA with the way the participants brought out the importance of acknowledging pioneering movements of the past, as well as focusing on pushing forward in ways that foster communication and understanding. The analogy of a balled fist becoming an open hand is apt. But more people have to be willing to open their minds and their hearts before real change can happen. These young people's efforts are the 'drops in the ocean' that are so important to creating and sustaining a wave of action and new possibilities. Listening to them reminds me of John Kennedy's inauguration speech so long ago: "The torch has been passed to a new generation" of young global leaders.

ETA:
The Queen's Commonwealth Trust carries the Queen's name, but she is not directly involved with the organization. BP press office put out a statement confirming their awareness that the video would be released, with an explanation that QCT is a 'separate entity' from the monarchy. I'd previously checked and discovered that the QCT was formed in 2016, and Prince Harry was very involved in its creation. Most likely, the idea for the organization partly came about as a way of providing Harry with an important role in organizing and leading Commonwealth youth. The promise of having a role created for him at some point might have been instrumental in influencing Harry to not leave the monarchy when he was in his 20s enjoying a more 'normal' life in the military. Sir Christopher Geidt, who used to be the Queen's private secretary, is on the administrative staff of QCT, and I suspect he was instrumental in working with Harry to develop the organization.

Because QCT is a separate entity which is crucial to the ongoing health and future of the Commonwealth, that must be in large part why the roles of President and VP remain with Harry (a chief founder) and Meghan (his wife who significantly paid tribute to the Commonwealth in the design of her wedding veil). OTOH, the honorary title of Commonwealth Youth Ambassador was more like window dressing, and thus it seems as if it was easier to be dropped/ taken away, similar to the HRH titles which M&H still officially hold but won't use in their day-to-day lives.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cross-posting this positive tidbit from the Good News thread: :D

I came across the below Instagram post on a M&H Instagram fan account. I didn't see this at the time of the royal wedding, but that's when British-Jamaican musical artist (Labrinth) put together this fantastic piece -- taking the trumpet fanfare and creating a sweet R&B melody out of it, with cool lyrics to boot! It was re-posted on this fan account in tribute to M&H's second wedding anniversary:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAcGZZhFUzR/ (Fanfare 'Royal Wedding Song' by Labrinth)

Here's more from Labrinth on YouTube. He's very talented:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOkh9BH7IiY He explains how creating 'the royal wedding R&B song' happened
It's sweet when he gives a shout-out to his Grandma by playing the tune a second time. :cheer2:

I love the lyrics:

Beloved, I see you walking down the aisle.
My heart is stunned, I’m losing my mind. My mind.
Beloved, till the end of time.
Eternity got nothing, on you and I. And I.
My queen, My queen, you're all I need
Oh royalty, I’m playing for keeps

A few examples of Labrinth's other work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50VWOBi0VFs Jealous

aftershocks

Banned Member
Meghan, Michelle Obama, Priyanka Chopra, and Hillary Clinton will all be participating in the virtual Girl Up Leadership Summit 2020 to be held next week. Meghan is reportedly the keynote speaker:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Meghan's conversation with girls and women at the Girl Up Leadership Summit today:

Highlights:

Meghan said she's excited to see how young women today are "not only framing the debate, but [striving] to be in charge of the debate."

"Sometimes it's not obvious what to do and fear can paralyze us, and stop us from being brave and bold. But don't underestimate your ability to push through your fears...

"The hard part (and it's the hardest part for me) is to chase your convictions with action...

"Looking at the big picture can help us to see how far we have progressed..."

ETA:
I posted Hillary Clinton's message (from earlier today) and Michelle Obama's message from yesterday in the Hillary Clinton thread in Politically Incorrect. I believe Priyanka Chopra spoke today also, but I could be wrong. She might be speaking tomorrow or later in the week. I was surprised to find a lot on YouTube from Priyanka but not at this Leadership Summit, so possibly she hasn't spoken yet.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
This whole created drama surrounding the marriage and love story of Harry & Meghan, and the subsequent decision by Harry to step down and to remove his family from the royal firm's toxic dysfunction, is rather exhausting due to all the obfuscation and gaslighting by palace courtiers and by the British media. In addition, the uncalled for hate, racism and horrible, disgusting comments by trolls all over social media against Meghan & Harry (even in conjunction with shade about Diana), is appalling and scary. I stay away from most of it, but the continued gaslighting and twisting of narratives against the Sussexes by the British tabloids is OTT. Even Piers Morgan's WTF wife has weighed-in with scurrilous, dumbfounding commentary about Meghan. It seems to boil down to a kind of unrequited obsession and jealousy that really needs to stop.

I am going to wait and actually read the book, Finding Freedom, by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand before making judgments on what has been excerpted in the British media. I will say that its rather revealing that this particular book, which apparently takes a fair-minded, middle-of-the-road approach (with at least two sources for everything), is being so heavily scrutinized and rebutted by the royal firm because it's seen as an attempt to straightforwardly tell more of M&H's side of the story. But M&H have already released a statement that they have not participated in the writing of the book, nor did they see any version of the manuscript prior to publication. They only gave the okay for their friends who had been asked, to freely speak with the authors. Meanwhile, all the other questionable books that have been quickly thrown together to make bucks, that relentlessly bash M&H, the royal firm appear to view with unremarkable calm.

Commentary that makes good points:

It's also quite telling that Katie Nicholl (known to be closely associated with KP) has stated in Vanity Fair, that royal sources are actually somewhat relieved because they recognize that the content and revelations in the Scobie/ Durand book, "could have been worse." It has been said that some details were removed prior to publication for legal reasons.

I think it's also worth noting that once again, Meghan and Harry did not write this book. Nor have Harry or Meghan ever responded to the vicious and ongoing gaslighting and defaming in the media (which in part emanates from the palaces), by throwing any member of either one of their toxic and dysfunctional families 'under the bus.'

As Meghan said in her recent 'Girl Up Summit' speech:
"Humanity desperately needs [our young people] to push us forcefully in a more inclusive, just and empathetic direction. And not only to frame the debate, but to be in charge of the debate... The status quo is easy to excuse and it's hard to break. But it will pull tightest right before snapping... I believe we are on the precipice of transformation. We can accelerate the pace of change ... Our online world has the power to support as much as it does to harm. But we are not meant to be breaking each other down. We are meant to be building each other up. So use your voices [supportively]... Even when it makes others uneasy, we have to speak up for ourselves and speak out for those struggling to be heard... Don't be afraid to do what you know is right, even when it's not popular, even when it's never been done before, even when it scares people, even when it scares you... Don't underestimate your ability to push through the fear..."

Last edited:

starrynight

I think the book is doing them much more harm than good. From the parts serialised in the papers it just makes them sound even worse, didn’t think that was possible but it really does :(

The excerpts just seem to be repeating/confirming tabloid stories about trifling tiffs. Lol like the kind of stuff that extremely wealthy people who have nothing better to do squabble about. Tiaras, shopping trips, bunches of flowers :violin:

Harry/Meghan have expressly denied involvement in the book. Whether that is true is another question. I saw on social media that one of the authors Durand is on the official ‘Sussex Squad’ cancel list so she must have done something to upset them.

The book just seems to indicate that if Harry and Meghan had lived together for a while in the UK before getting engaged then a lot of the culture clash and different points of view could have been worked though before everything was locked in.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Harry/Meghan have expressly denied involvement in the book. Whether that is true is another question.
They have denied direct involvement, leaving open the question of what other kind of involvement they may have had. I have read that they declined interviews with the authors, so they must have known about the project. They don't seem to have asked their friends or acquaintances to follow their example.

The book appears to make it more difficult for them not only to resume royal duties at the end of their year away from them, but also to get on with their intended alternative, running their own foundation. Who would contribute to a charity run by a couple of petty family castoffs?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Of course Meghan & Harry knew about the project. When their friends were approached for interviews, M&H are said to have given them the go ahead to talk with the authors, apparently after M&H had gained an understanding of the authors' overall intentions for the project. After that, M&H reportedly have had nothing to do with the writing of the book, because they probably feel the authors are at the least fair-minded and responsible in their reporting.

I've heard that it was Carolyn Durand who first contacted Omid Scobie with the idea to write a book about M&H, sometime in 2018 post the royal wedding. Durand obviously knew that Omid has a connection to Meghan via a mutual friend. Neither Durand nor Scobie could have known when they began the project what would happen in January 2020, while they were still in the process of writing and doing research. The thing about Omid is that he is a professional in how he conducts himself, no matter his insider Sussex sources, and despite all the recent pile-on character assassinations he's being targeted with by other royal reporters, which simply amounts to jealousy.

I think it pays to not believe a lot of the blather in the British tabloids which involves obfuscation, lies and attempts to twist narratives. As far as the content of the book, I don't think there are any substantially new revelations of earth-shattering proportions, and as indicated, a lot of explosive behind-the-scenes Windsor family drama (which even some members of the media are aware of) has been left out of the book. I'll wait to read the book before making definitive judgements about its content.

It's certainly par-for-the-course in many quarters to blame M&H for everything under the sun, and to project negativity upon them regardless of all the positive things they are doing and advocating for. The British tabloids have been slamming and bashing the Sussexes non-stop 24/7, even without the recent spate of negative books that have been coming out, some to counter what was feared would be in this clearly more well-researched and authoritative book. Both Durand and Scobie are considered to be fair-minded journalists and staunch royalists, albeit Durand is seen as more conservative, and Scobie is known to have insider Sussex connections.

I've also heard that no matter what has gone down, the Queen continues to have a caring relationship with her grandson Harry, and he with her. It is the 'grey men' of the palaces, and the KP fiefdom who have been the most uneasy about the Sussexes' popularity, which triggered many of the problems, which ostensibly might have been avoidable had there not been this immediate unfair and intense disregard for Meghan. Why not put up a 'united front' as the royal family? Why not welcome and positively accept and direct the Sussexes' popularity which is a natural occurrence, and not something 'instigated' by the Sussexes. All of the uncalled for negativity in the media (aided and abetted by palace sources), has done nothing but bring more attention to M&H, and has made them even more well known and popular (based on who they actually are, and on what they stand for). There is evidence that from the beginning, there were palace players aligned against Meghan. This, when after falling in love, she had given up her former life and committed to doing everything she could to fit in and to be supportive of her future husband, his relatives, his country, and the monarchy.

No matter who Harry married, there were bound to be problems due to the very nature of the antiquated monarchy, and its outdated attitudes toward women and married-ins, and because ever-accommodating Harry was never going to continue being the third-wheel spare. The royal institution being run by old-fashioned 'grey men' in their disconnected palace fiefdoms is not working. The power play overthrow by Andrew's and Charles' staffs of the Queen's private secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt, in 2017 (partly because he wanted to bring the palaces under one communications umbrella) was another huge misstep! It may turn out to be just as huge as the fusty old institution's inability to recognize and to capitalize upon the worldwide goodwill and positive attention that came to them when Harry met and married Meghan.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The book appears to make it more difficult for them not only to resume royal duties at the end of their year away from them, but also to get on with their intended alternative, running their own foundation. Who would contribute to a charity run by a couple of petty family castoffs?

LOL. Who said that M&H have any intention of or desire to 'resume royal duties?' From all the continuing stories in the tabloid media, apparently some rabid royal reporters and sentimental, out-of-touch royalists and needy photographers would like to see 'just Harry' return to the fold. But the media's ongoing onslaught against M&H is a funny way of trying to get them to return. I don't see it happening. Down the road, after a lot of water passes under the bridge, perhaps Charles might broker an occasional return by at least Harry to fulfill some public functions on a part-time basis, but that's a big if. Plus, Charles would have to grow a backbone and clean house of the worst, old-fashioned, interfering 'grey men,' in addition to centralizing royal firm operations and somehow managing to keep overly image-conscious, petty, temperamental Wills contained in a designated lane.

I'm not sure why you think that M&H are viewed in America or indeed in most of the Commonwealth countries as 'petty family castoffs.' :drama: Harry and Meghan are both thought of very highly by many countries, institutions, organizations, movers-and-shakers, regular people of all backgrounds, and most important of all, by people in positions of influence and power around the world. Seemingly, you are taking the ridiculous tabloid dross, the lies, and the unfounded, twisted tabloid narratives about M&H at face value.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
@aftershocks - if you read the book and feel that it does in fact make them look bad (as some others who have read it apparently do) - will you believe the book or think it is lies?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The book just seems to indicate that if Harry and Meghan had lived together for a while in the UK before getting engaged then a lot of the culture clash and different points of view could have been worked though before everything was locked in.

I thought they did live together before they got engaged. Maybe not for long, but I don't think he had proposed to her before she moved in. IIRC Meghan said that Harry proposed to her when she was cooking a chicken dinner in "their" kitchen.

starrynight

Meghan said that Harry proposed to her when she was cooking a chicken dinner in "their" kitchen.

I think this book actually says they got engaged two months earlier than that in Botswana. So I think that a priority was placed on speed.

Anyway the whole thing reads like a list of petty grievances of the top 0.00001% of extremely wealthy and privileged. I actually think Harry is so privileged he has no idea about the way the real world functions.

In this current time is the average person meant to care about a squabble about which priceless diamond tiara a Duchess got to wear? :violin:

This is a family that collects millions and millions of pounds in rent from the British public and also millions of pounds from the taxpayers.

All this ‘private income’ is still taken from the pockets of regular folk.

This article from The Guardian summed up the ridiculousness of it all perfectly:

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
aftershocks, is there anything that Harry and Meghan have done or are doing that you consider to have been a mistake? Even if only in hindsight? And I don't mean "they shouldn't have trusted eeeeeevil person X", but things that they have screwed up?

Harry dealt with a lot during his childhood and there's no doubt it still affects him; Meghan got some truly nasty press and had to give up quite a bit when she married. But they've also engendered a lot of good will and support, and this doesn't seem to be acknowledged much. And the list of grievances, as others have noted, comes across as petty. If Harry's issues with his brother stem from William suggesting that he take his time getting to know Meghan, that strikes me as perfectly reasonable advice from one sibling to another - especially given that they both know what it means to marry into the BRF and have the example of their parents who did marry quickly (albeit at a younger age). That's the main reason that's been consistently reported, and it doesn't paint William as petty, image conscious or temperamental (for someone who dislikes petty gossip you seem oddly inclined to believe anything said about William, whose childhood was no simpler than Harry's).

If Harry and Meghan are one day interested in returning to royal life, they'll have to initiate it and nobody needs to bend over for their benefit. The family can get along perfectly well with Charles/Camilla, the Cambridges, and Edward and Sophie as well as Anne as its main representatives. They can always give Beatrice and Eugenie more to do, and in the future the Cambridge kids as well.

This leaves Harry and Meghan plenty of room to live their lives as they see fit, whether it's in LA or in other parts of the world where they have charitable initiatives.

starrynight

I’m kind of amused/intrigued that Harry is still plugging Travelyst — I’m assured that the border closures and huge crashes the travel and tourism sectors are suffering due to closed borders is more than taking care of the environmental impact of travelling at the moment.

Im kind of expecting the Australian airline situation to eventually crash to the point where it will be too expensive to fly anywhere (when we are eventually allowed to actually get on planes).

MsZem

I see the sea
Has anyone read the book? Could they summarize a few points so we don't have to? :D
There's this:
And along those lines but with a different tone:

Vagabond

According to the book, it was known within the palace walls that Harry and Meghan wanted changes to their royal status and had sought discussions with the Queen prior to a six-week trip to Canada at the end of last year.

It says they made the final decision while in Canada and again sought a meeting with Harry’s grandmother, but were told she would not be available until the end of January 2020. The announcement, the authors claim, came on 8 January because the couple got wind that a story was due to break in the UK press.
This doesn't ring true to me. Even if Harry doesn't have direct access to the Queen (really?), his father surely does. And yet, the authors would lead us to believe that the Duke and Duchess didn't bother asking him for help.

The again, it's been quite some time since I rubbed shoulders with either the Queen or the Prince of Wales, so what do I know? :shuffle: ;)

ballettmaus

If Harry's issues with his brother stem from William suggesting that he take his time getting to know Meghan, that strikes me as perfectly reasonable advice from one sibling to another - especially given that they both know what it means to marry into the BRF and have the example of their parents who did marry quickly (albeit at a younger age). That's the main reason that's been consistently reported, and it doesn't paint William as petty, image conscious or temperamental

I think an argument can even be made that he was right. While this isn't specifically about getting to know Meghan, if they had taken it a little slower, they might have had a smoother exit à la Madeleine and her husband. It sounds like it would have been preferrable for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information