Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
No one should emulate Andrew but Andrew isn’t going out their critizing the royal family or staffers.
No, he was hanging out with paedophiles which of course isn't as bad at all. :shuffle:
I am totally 😞 in Oprah. I thought she would have seen the propriety in aring this interview at this time.
And what time is this? :confused:

I have no real interest in Harry and Meghan, but the British media pile on them is something to behold.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Where did I say I have work woes? I don’t 😂. Also I don’t write a lot at my work.

The only scenario I am thinking of is when I have to call a contractor and ask to speak to a manager about why specific work hasn’t been done. I am pretty annoyed when it gets to that point.

I would actually rather not complain to a manager. Everyone at my work had issues with this group.
I still don't know what tumor realixe means. Confefe!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@puglover If things continue in the direction they seem to be going, magazines like Hello - who never say anything bad about anyone in their pages - are going to be in a real pickle. Especially if H&M succeed in getting the "victim" narrative to stick.

There will be readers who love the BRF and readers who love H&M. Those magazines can't serve both audiences, and behind the scenes, if they are seen as being more sympathetic to one side, they are going to lose PR, access to sources, photo rights, etc., from the other side.

The tabloids and other media who just make stuff up will be fine. The media who rely on uncritically worshipping royals will have a very difficult time.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Now I read Jessica Mulroney has come to Meghan's defence and added her two cents. Jessica, the woman who herself is accused of prejudice and lack of empathy, seems like someone I would tell "thanks but no thanks". Not that I hold Meghan accountable for those who stand up for her, just that taking it public you lose control of the narrative.

Not too long ago, Jessica gave an extensive interview about "the real story" (i.e. her version of what happened) in the spat she had with the other "influencer" that resulted in Jessica losing all her gigs. It was totally self-serving trash and made her look worse than she already did.

So I wouldn't put too much importance on Jessica expressing her opinions on H&M. Jessica is just really desperate for attention right now, and as the saying goes, any port in a storm.

puglover

Becca and the English language have a rather tenuous relationship ...
So now we are going to ridicule each other because we see this current micro-drama involving people none of us know at all differently?

I am a fair skinned, blonde, blue eyed woman. My own mother could have been a body double for the Queen - I am sure because our DNA has similar origins. I would never pretend I understand what it is like to be another race or walk in another shoes. One of my closest friends, our boys skated against each other decades ago, is the mother of a bi-racial son and daughter. She raised her children alone with no financial or emotional support. Her daughter, in particular, was tormented in her teenage years and called hurtful names I will not repeat. In an effort to help her my friend sought help from a mental health expert, sadly a pervert who took advantage of a troubled young girl.

I have a daughter who was born with physical and developmental disabilities. She has been the victim of lots of discrimination, had hurtful comments (retard, devil-spawn) thrown at her and we even had our house egged by her supposed friends. My friend and I have empathized with each other and cried for the pain the other mother suffered in seeing her child hurt so badly. The other day she told me I am the best friend she has ever had. Our pain has been different but none of it has been fair or easy. I have a loving husband who is there for my daughter and I, my friend is alone, so I try to be there for her.

I believe empathy is the key - one for another - to making the world a better place. Over and out!

canbelto

So now we are going to ridicule each other because we see this current micro-drama involving people none of us know at all differently?

I am a fair skinned, blonde, blue eyed woman. My own mother could have been a body double for the Queen - I am sure because our DNA has similar origins. I would never pretend I understand what it is like to be another race or walk in another shoes. One of my closest friends, our boys skated against each other decades ago, is the mother of a bi-racial son and daughter. She raised her children alone with no financial or emotional support. Her daughter, in particular, was tormented in her teenage years and called hurtful names I will not repeat. In an effort to help her my friend sought help from a mental health expert, sadly a pervert who took advantage of a troubled young girl.

I have a daughter who was born with physical and developmental disabilities. She has been the victim of lots of discrimination, had hurtful comments (retard, devil-spawn) thrown at her and we even had our house egged by her supposed friends. My friend and I have empathized with each other and cried for the pain the other mother suffered in seeing her child hurt so badly. The other day she told me I am the best friend she has ever had. Our pain has been different but none of it has been fair or easy. I have a loving husband who is there for my daughter and I, my friend is alone, so I try to be there for her.

I believe empathy is the key - one for another - to making the world a better place. Over and out!

That's a lovely story but not sure what it has to do with racist attacks against Meghan.

canbelto

Once again, you miss the point. She was talking about having more empathy as we don't know what people go through on a daily basis. Your fixation on race is rather worrisome.

Why is it worrisome? It's important that we're all aware of implicit bias we might have. Otherwise, George Floyd will keep repeating itself forever. This white fragility is what is "worrisome."

becca

I am typing on my phone without auto correct or spell check.

I am also typing extremely quickly.

This is suppose to be for fun and not for a work environment. I have also never retaliated or called other people names.

My work post was more of a me recognizing no one is perfect including myself and at times we could all be a little kinder.

And there includes picking a part other peoples posts.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Yes, black life matters. But calling us names in here? It doesn't matter what color I am, I'm allowed to express my opinions in here. You're the one who won't give up this bone of contention. Yes, race may play a factor, but it is not always all about race. Sorry to pop your bubble.

canbelto

Yes, black life matters. But calling us names in here? It doesn't matter what color I am, I'm allowed to express my opinions in here. You're the one who won't give up this bone of contention. Yes, race may play a factor, but it is not always all about race. Sorry to pop your bubble.
If race "plays a factor" then it's 100% about race because race should not play a factor AT ALL. The level of vitriol directed at Meghan for:

1) wearing earrings that werent hers and could have been retrieved at any time from the Crown
and
2) sending out texts at 5 am

is out of control. You would think Meghan personally ran over the Queen's corgis.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
If race "plays a factor" then it's 100% about race because race should not play a factor AT ALL. The level of vitriol directed at Meghan for:

1) wearing earrings that werent hers and could have been retrieved at any time from the Crown
and
2) sending out texts at 5 am

is out of control. You would think Meghan personally ran over the Queen's corgis.
If she was white, you would still find a way to bring race into it

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I am typing on my phone without auto correct or spell check.

I am also typing extremely quickly.

This is suppose to be for fun and not for a work environment. I have also never retaliated or called other people names.

My work post was more of a me recognizing no one is perfect including myself and at times we could all be a little kinder.

And there includes picking a part other peoples posts.
I understand that. No one expects perfect spelling or grammar. I do expect sentences with nouns & verbs but that's just me. But when you have something that autocorrect mangles so badly that no one knows what you meant then it may be time for a little proofreading. Note: I said may, not should.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Huh? She's not white. So what does that have to do with anything. Do I say the attacks against Camila are racist? No, because she's white.
Wait. I'm so confused. I thought she was bi-racial. Does that not make her, in part, white? /sarcasm

You have an unhealthy obsession with viewing everything and everyone through the lens of race. To the point where you are calling other people in this thread names, putting words in their mouths, or flat out telling them that you know them better than they know themselves. A bunch of people with whom you have never met and know little about apart from your interactions with them on a figure skating fan forum. The level of ignorance, arrogance and offensiveness you regularly spew toward others who dare to disagree with your worldview is astounding.

Judy

I have no doubt racism exists and there has been some racism towards Meghan.

But every accusations isnt automatically due to racism.

And what I don’t like is how she treats family. Her father did a lot for paid for first wedding paid for fancy schools paid Should he have had paparazzi take photos of himself and then also talked in frustration maybe not.
But how is her giving this interview really any different.

We will have to see what interview says but if she doesn’
Now I read Jessica Mulroney has come to Meghan's defence and added her two cents. Jessica, the woman who herself is accused of prejudice and lack of empathy, seems like someone I would tell "thanks but no thanks". Not that I hold Meghan accountable for those who stand up for her, just that taking it public you lose control of the narrative.
Actually the National Post did a story about Jessica recently. I kinda have to agree that the other girl was - for whatever reason - responsible for what happened.

canbelto

Wait. I'm so confused. I thought she was bi-racial. Does that not make her, in part, white? /sarcasm

You have an unhealthy obsession with viewing everything and everyone through the lens of race. To the point where you are calling other people in this thread names, putting words in their mouths, or flat out telling them that you know them better than they know themselves. A bunch of people with whom you have never met and know little about apart from your interactions with them on a figure skating fan forum. The level of ignorance, arrogance and offensiveness you regularly spew toward others who dare to disagree with your worldview is astounding.

I will never be silent on issues of racial injustice. Stop trying to gaslight me as if caring about racial injustice is a bad thing. It's not. Race is still the first, last, and only thing people see about other people. I will never stop pointing this out to people unaware of their own prejudices.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Regarding the Jessica Mulroney article: Wow that’s quite scary. You would never have guessed that from what was originally in the press which it now seems was rather out of context. I’m quite sad she didn’t release that immediately - her family must have suffered a lot as well as her, and quite unnecessarily.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Regarding the Jessica Mulroney article: Wow that’s quite scary. You would never have guessed that from what was originally in the press which it now seems was rather out of context. I’m quite sad she didn’t release that immediately - her family must have suffered a lot as well as her, and quite unnecessarily.

Although to be fair (or unfair) the story is based on "here's the texts that Jessica showed me" and accepting those at face value. There is no way of knowing whether there were other interactions that weren't shared.

The writer is also a notorious right-wing hack who has said that universities have been taken over by leftists who hate free speech, that feminists are all nasty man-hating lesbians, that the First Nations in Canada were not treated as badly as they claim, etc. etc. etc. So I would take anything this writer produces around issues of race with an extremely large grain of salt.

Karen-W

I will never be silent on issues of racial injustice. Stop trying to gaslight me as if caring about racial injustice is a bad thing. It's not. Race is still the first, last, and only thing people see about other people. I will never stop pointing this out to people unaware of their own prejudices.
It isn't gaslighting when I'm actually calling out your own behavior in this very discussion - but it is amusing how you consistently ignore or blow right on past those posts which have challenged your assertions.

It is clear that we are never going to agree. You continue to insist that race is the only thing that people see about other people even when so many others repeatedly tell you it is not.

Your last sentence was meant to be ironic, right?

Judy

I agree. I fully support Black Lives but certainly not blindly. I will never dislike someone just for their skin colour. If I don’t like you it would be for personality issues (would anyone like my white next door neighbour 🙏🙏🙏). But the same with any of us .. there’s bad and good ad people in between that.

I have NO idea why the girl targeted Mulroney. I don’t know Mulroney but yeah that just wasn’t right and it doesn’t sit well with me.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It's great that you are so passionate about it, but you're very wrong. Race is not the only determining factor that people use against others, and you really go overboard with making it a point to show that your view is the only one that matters. You know how many gay people have been called the f-word for simply just walking down the street and people don't like their flamboyance or clothing or lisps or whatever?

And I'm going to give a counter-example to this, too, that becomes problematic. Sometimes people are very eager to have their behaviors excused because of a certain trait. When I was working in the nightclub scene (gay bars typically), there would always be straight bartenders that would enforce rules equally to everyone - because at this point, who really knows who is gay or straight or curious or whatever, and more importantly, why should anyone care when it's in a gay bar?

But there would still be those annoying gay guys who would try to scam the system, push past people in line, say they weren't paying for the drink, whatever, and then get into shouting matches with the (straight) bartenders about how it's 'because (they) are gay' that they are getting that treatment. No, you're just not getting privileged treatment for your foolish behavior and then you're turning it into a victim thing. I saw it often. And of course those people would go to the other bartenders complaining about how so-and-so doesn't like gay people. I added this story because I feel this relates a bit to what you're trying to do.

In this case, of course some people are going to bring up Meghan's skin as a talking-down point. I've told the story several times on this board about my ex being dark-skinned Hispanic, and other Hispanics degrading him without even knowing the first thing about him simply because that skin color, to them, means he's poor and uneducated.

But some people just flat-out don't like anyone that gets such attention, or they don't like her because she pulled Harry out of the family, or because she's ruining his life, or because she married into that family with her past, or whatever. There's no difference from the Russian skating threads where posters pop in to just trash team Eteri or team Plushenko because they are obsessed with the other one.

And ETA here, but you were the one trying to tell everyone that the use of 'seasoned women' was sexist, degrading, micro-aggressive, and whatever else yet no one else seems to think that. Your opinion can be different, and you clearly see that it is, but it doesn't make it the law of the land. It also doesn't make everyone else racist and/or insensitive towards these issues.

I'd also love to hear about anything you do outside of FSU as far as fighting for racial justice.

Last edited:

canbelto

I'd also love to hear about anything you do outside of FSU as far as fighting for racial justice.
Uh been a science teacher for over 10 years and teach in one of the poorest congressional districts in the nation (Morrisiana). 99% of the students I teach are POC and immigrants. I've been dealing with @Karen-W 's all my life -- people that assume that if you're a POC from the Bronx, you must be a thug/criminal/drug-addict/welfare queen. I can smell racial prejudice a mile away.

You're not going to tell me that Meghan would cause this amount of pearl-clutching if she was a lily-white English rose.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
You're not going to tell me that Meghan would cause this amount of pearl-clutching if she was a lily-white English rose.
Uh, except that's not what you were arguing at all. You said it's the first, last, and only thing people see about others. This is simply not fact no matter how hard you try to push it.

You made a very closed-ended statement and you're simply wrong, even though you're rewording it now. And you ignore the other point I made about how a set of words triggered you and only you for zero reason.

And I also don't need anyone telling me how some people are. I saw it first-hand when people would question how I would ever be with someone 'like that' referring to my ex, without ever having said a word to either of us.

I can't stand that Miyahara can't rotate her jumps. I point it out often. It doesn't mean I'm doing it because she's Asian. It means that I like good technique and I also complained about Ashley Wagner for years and years with her rotation issues, and a multitude of other skaters from around the world. Yet because I choose to constantly point out Satoko's jumps being short, are you going to try to accuse me of being racist? Meghan is constantly in the spotlight. There are a lot of things about her that bother people.

Karen-W

Uh been a science teacher for over 10 years and teach in one of the poorest congressional districts in the nation (Morrisiana). 99% of the students I teach are POC and immigrants. I've been dealing with @Karen-W 's all my life -- people that assume that if you're a POC from the Bronx, you must be a thug/criminal/drug-addict/welfare queen. I can smell racial prejudice a mile away.

Wow. Honestly, just WOW.

You have a huge chip on your shoulder that is predisposing you to judge people whom you honestly know nothing about. You do yourself and the children you think you are educating no favors by remaining in your own, prejudicial bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information