Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judy

The police is not Harry's private security force. As Ant noted, credible threats can be shared with police, and private security can handle day-to-day stuff.

Harry can bring his family for a low-profile visit to see his father and grandmother. Unless he is so freaked out about security that he doesn't believe he and his family would be safe on private, well-secured royal properties. In which case, what would police protection add?

Some of the coverage specifically refers to photographers allegedly chasing Harry' car during his visit for the unveiling of Diana's statue as part of the reason for the request (see here). That's normal paparazzi stuff and has nothing to do with who he married.

William seems to have a much healthier approach to media coverage of his family, and they appear to be doing well with how much exposure the kids get. I don't think Harry's antagonistic approach is doing him any favors.
They get world wide death threats. William has full security and lives behind the palace walls so a little different.

MsZem

I see the sea
They get world wide death threats. William has full security and lives behind the palace walls so a little different.
By this logic, Harry can easily visit his family in the UK as they all live behind palace walls with security and he, Meghan and the kids would be just as safe.

The Cambridge children do go outside sometimes, and they are not hounded by paparazzi when they do so. I think @MLIS is correct that Harry is conflating annoyances with actual risk, very likely because of how he's dealt with the trauma of losing his mother.

canbelto

I would venture to say that the majority of private people don't have constant death threats or a very real risk of harm. It seems to me that police are needed in this case. And Harry is not a private person no matter what his family strips from him. @canbelto's point about Anne's & Andrew's kids don't apply here. First of all their kids aren't helpless babies & as far as I know they aren't being threatened. And when they were young I don't remember them being chased by paparazzi or having a million cameras shoved in their faces. It was a different time.

As for nothing stopping him from taking his family to the UK, he has made it very clear what's stopping him. It's also clear that the Queen & his own father don't want him there for the Queen's jubilee.
What? Harry has been back to see his family. Also in real life ppl have credible threats from exes and stalkers all thw time and police do nothing.

antmanb

Absolutely if he's here to visit his family and stay with them then the usual royal protection that is used wherever he is would be in play so he would be safe, it would simply be getting to and from places which, again if he's travelling with other members of the royal family he would be under royal protection, and if he's travelling just with his family, i don't understand why private security can't be used.

Barbara Manatee

It's also clear that the Queen & his own father don't want him there for the Queen's jubilee.
If that is true, could you blame them? Harry is making his living from taking potshots at the royal family. Case in point, announcing this lawsuit seems designed to get him publicity and put his grandmother and father in a no win situation. If they intervene with the police, they're abusing their power. If they don't, they don't care about their grandchildren.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I mean, I don't know any of these people personally, but clearly the security is a huge issue for Harry and Meghan and having their police protection removed is high on their list of grievances. I am absolutely willing to believe that there have been credible threats against them, the people who hate Meghan REALLY hate her, there are a lot of crazies out there, and they have young children to protect. My personal theory is that it is all also tied up in Harry's trauma about losing his mom the way he did, and if she had had police protection instead of the al Fayeds' private security she probably wouldn't have been allowed to get in that car with a drunk driver that night. How much is paranoia shaped by past trauma and how much is legitimate security issues? I don't know. I believe him that he doesn't feel he and his family are safe, and that is tragic and must be very scary. But it makes it hard to judge what the actual threat level is, if he conflates photographers taking his picture with security threats.
Playing Monday morning therapist role here, I absolutely think this is all tied to the trauma of his mother's tragic death.

Here are my random thoughts.

al Fayed was a person of color. IIRC, at the time that Diana was involved with him there was a lot of criticism of the Princess being involved with him (whether or not it was becoming of a former member of the BRF to be involved with someone of another "culture").

Diana left the BRF by divorce (we can argue who was responsible for what but that's immaterial).

Diana died by the hounding of the paparazzi.

So, in my armchair therapist role (which everyone knows is dangerous), Harry in his trauma vision is seeing this situation play out.

Meghan is a POC, if anyone said anything about their relationship, he could possibly perceive that as prejudice. I'm not saying there might be truth in that statement, but it could be magnified.

Harry and Meghan wanted to not do things as traditional BRF dictates. Therefore seemingly wanting to divorce themselves.

Any paparazzi however it is done is seen as a tremendous threat to Harry and his family's lives.

Additionally I don't think any child can hear rumors (all of his life) that he is not the child of his father and not feel somewhat inferior to his siblings. Add the fact that William is truly the favored child by birthright of the BRF. There is going to be magnified jealousy. You know-William gets everything I get tablescraps.

Even if none of the above really is part of reasons, children perceive traumatic events differently.

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I truly think Harry does believe this but the reality is she died at the hands of a drunk driver. He needs a lot more therapy and help to get to that realisation but he's not there yet. That's my armchair psychology on Harry.
Oh I agree 100%. Drunk driver, speeding. But I dont believe that's his perception.

I wonder if the boys were given therapy opportunities at the time of her death.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I wonder if the boys were given therapy opportunities at the time of her death.
That wouldn't fit the narrative, that they need to keep a stiff upper lip. It's clear Harry doesn't like the paparazzi but I don't think that's what he's afraid of if he takes his family to UK, at least that's not what he said. And they wouldn't be behind palace walls the whole time. The timing for the visit is the jubilee which is being held out in the public. A crazy with a long-range rifle could take out Meghan &/or any of his family very easily.

Winnipeg

Sad as the death was, her death was at least in part due to speeding, reckless driving, no seatbelts, drunk employee, etc.

If Harry still struggles with this, he should see a therapist.

wickedwitch

That wouldn't fit the narrative, that they need to keep a stiff upper lip. It's clear Harry doesn't like the paparazzi but I don't think that's what he's afraid of if he takes his family to UK, at least that's not what he said. And they wouldn't be behind palace walls the whole time. The timing for the visit is the jubilee which is being held out in the public. A crazy with a long-range rifle could take out Meghan &/or any of his family very easily.
Why wouldn't he be with his family during the public parts of the jubilee, and thus benefiting from their security?

Husky

if he's travelling with other members of the royal family he would be under royal protection, and if he's travelling just with his family, i don't understand why private security can't be used.
His private security is not allowed to carry firearms in UK. At least this is what DailyFail writes.

I can see the difference if you have security that can only react striking back in direct contact with an enemy or being allowed to threaten and wound someone who is a few meters away.

As for having protection through others, likely Charles, William, or the Queen: he would have to follow them like a lost puppy. (Or the other way round).

ballettmaus

I would venture to say that the majority of private people don't have constant death threats or a very real risk of harm.
There are always some crazed fans and I think it's gotten worse in today's charged society.

Harry is citing a "security incident" that occurred as he was leaving the Diana statue unveiling. Other sources (trustworthy?) are saying that photographers tried to take his picture as he was leaving which, while annoying (and triggering for him, clearly), is not a security threat. Having police protection instead of private security wouldn't have kept photographers from taking his picture leaving a public event.
I read the article and thought there were a few facts missing. Like, no one even tried to find out what said "security incident" was and how it happened. Was it because his private security wasn't allowed to go where police would be allowed to go, was it because they didn't have access to the information that police have access to, was it because there weren't enough of them?
What you're saying sounds like police protection would not have made a difference.

I have a general question: if someone of Harry's status goes to the police and shows them proof of a very active threat, would police then protect them or would they just investigate?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have a general question: if someone of Harry's status goes to the police and shows them proof of a very active threat, would police then protect them or would they just investigate?
Police do respond to credible threats in a number of ways including increasing patrols around the victim's residence. Though I have to say in cases of domestic abuse and stalking, what they do is often not very effective and/or it's very hard to get them to take the threats seriously to begin with.

wickedwitch

As for having protection through others, likely Charles, William, or the Queen: he would have to follow them like a lost puppy. (Or the other way round).
Yes, but if the issue at hand is whether or not he can safely attend the Queen's jubilee, I think the answer is yes (or at least as safely as William). So safety or lack there of should not be preventing him for returning for this specific event.

Police do respond to credible threats in a number of ways including increasing patrols around the victim's residence. Though I have to say in cases of domestic abuse and stalking, what they do is often not very effective and/or it's very hard to get them to take the threats seriously to begin with.
My guess is the British police might take things a bit more seriously coming from Harry. ;)

Husky

I honestly believe he is in danger. But not the paparazzi are the problem, rather people coming from social media. I found some weird people on YT and other social media who seem to gather in groups.

sk8pics

If Harry still struggles with this, he should see a therapist.
I think he is seeing a therapist. On a documentary on Apple TV+ (I forget the name of it) Harry was on an episode discussing some of the issues and EMDR, which is a therapy used to treat PTSD. He had a session on film.

No question in my armchair therapist mind that he has PTSD.

Yehudi

AITA
Um has anybody here actually encountered the paparazzi? These are not people casually taking pictures. I’ve had the misfortune of walking by groups of them as celebs have exited apartment buildings or retail spaces, and let me tell you celebs are not being hyperbolic when they compare the paps to vultures. It’s frightening enough when I’m just a bystander. I can only imagine dealing with it your whole life.

canbelto

I honestly believe he is in danger. But not the paparazzi are the problem, rather people coming from social media. I found some weird people on YT and other social media who seem to gather in groups.

I found an extremely troubled woman who seemed convinced that Harry fathered her four children and that only Meghan was standing in the way of her being "reunited" with Harry.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I find it hard to believe that security is the only reason Harry won't come back to the UK. They are always finding excuses not to come. Charles has invited them to join for some family time in February, which is an amazing offer. With the Queen being 95 and frail, Harry & Meghan needs to set aside their egos and let the Queen see their children.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Why wouldn't he be with his family during the public parts of the jubilee, and thus benefiting from their security?

I was wondering this too. And during off-duty time they could stay in the Royals' residence(s), which would also have security. Unless they are trying to combine work around their own businesses & charities with visiting the family, in which case I would guess they only get Royal security when they are with the Royals.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I find it hard to believe that security is the only reason Harry won't come back to the UK. They are always finding excuses not to come. Charles has invited them to join for some family time in February, which is an amazing offer. With the Queen being 95 and frail, Harry & Meghan needs to set aside their egos and let the Queen see their children.
How do you know she wants to see them? I think H & M would be satisfied with royal protection when out in public even if not with other royals but that hasn't been offered. That tells me she has written Harry & family off. In fact her actions for the last couple of years has said that.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
How do you know she wants to see them? I think H & M would be satisfied with royal protection when out in public even if not with other royals but that hasn't been offered. That tells me she has written Harry & family off. In fact her actions for the last couple of years has said that.
They haven't been uninvited yet to the Jubilee. As annoyed as the Queen is, they're still family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information