Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't really understand why starrynight felt the need to negatively comment on the underlying reasons for the name. Is she Piers Morgan in disguise? Every happy thread has a wet blanket. Why am I surprised?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
H&M have not had any publicly acknowledged beef with the Queen, and he is widely said to love her, regardless of any decisions he's made about his place as a Royal that she might have reason not to be :cheer2: about, or issues he's had with other family members. Tying the name choice to reconciliation is a logical stretch.

VGThuy

Here's another theory I just read on the trashy NYPost, the choice of name is very "rude" to the Queen according to a royal biographer because it was a nickname bestowed on The Queen by her late husband (Harry's grandfather) and to name their child that is demeaning to both of them. At least according to Angela Levin on Good Morning Britain. Even though the nickname went way back to when she was a child and too young to pronounce Elizabeth correctly and thus became a nickname that both her parents and grandparents adopted. Since Harry and Megan are either awful or scheming people (but are apparently bad at it), maybe they meant to diss the Queen after all. ;)

I put "royal biographers" who participate in shows like Good Morning Britain and the like and who get quoted in the NYPost on the same level as people who get paid to write listicles and bad takes on Buzzfeed or who spend all their time making awards predictions for film/tv in that I can't believe someone can make a real living by doing of that.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to the Sun, which cites Business Insider on this,

Queen Elizabeth is known as Her Majesty to the public and as Lilibet to her close family.

She was nicknamed Lilibet as a child because she could not pronounce her own name, according to Business Insider.

The article goes on to add,
Her late husband Prince Philip would also refer to her as such, and when he passed, Queen Elizabeth left him a handwritten note on his coffin signed Lilibet.
which could be where shoddy or deliberate sh!t stirring in the Post/Good Morning Britain is extrapolated from.

Husky

Yes, the Queen is very fond of Harry. Age made her mild, towards her sister and Diana (whom she picked as a breeding hen) she was kind of cruel. I wonder what will happen when Charles becomes King. He seemed to be annoyed by the Oprah interview. Is he out for revenge and what could he do in worst case?

Husky

Here's another theory I just read on the trashy NYPost, the choice of name is very "rude" to the Queen according to a royal biographer because it was a nickname bestowed on The Queen by her late husband (Harry's grandfather) and to name their child that is demeaning to both of them. At least according to Angela Levin on Good Morning Britain. Even though the nickname went way back to when she was a child and too young to pronounce Elizabeth correctly and thus became a nickname that both her parents and grandparents adopted. Since Harry and Megan are either awful or scheming people (but are apparently bad at it), maybe they meant to diss the Queen after all. ;)
The interview is on Youtube:
I doubt that they know much. It's just personal opinion and bias. The queen loves Harry.

skategal

Bunny mama

I put "royal biographers" who participate in shows like Good Morning Britain and the like and who get quoted in the NYPost on the same level as people who get paid to write listicles and bad takes on Buzzfeed or who spend all their time making awards predictions for film/tv in that I can't believe someone can make a real living by doing of that.
Doesn’t the Queen have to approve of the name before they could use it?

In any case, I’m sure they would have run it past her first to get her approval even if not mandated.

She’s probably thrilled to have a great grandchild named with a first name specifically for her just as Charles was thrilled when Charlotte was named for him.

MsZem

I see the sea
Lili is an adorable name, but in my head, I’m thinking “Betty”. Or, Betti. Lol…
I am on the record as liking the name very much, but what I associate with it is the trashiest of miniseries, Lace - in which Lili (Phoebe Cates) got to deliver one of the most memorable lines in TV history. Obviously Lili Mountbatten-Windsor will never have to go to such extremes!

Is she going to be Lady Lili? As the daughter of a Duke she is entitled to it, but by the same logic Archie should be Lord Archie.

Betty would be better simply because of the Archie comics connection.
This is exactly why it would/should never have happened :D

VGThuy

Doesn’t the Queen have to approve of the name before they could use it?

In any case, I’m sure they would have run it past her first to get her approval even if not mandated.

She’s probably thrilled to have a great grandchild named with a first name specifically for her just as Charles was thrilled when Charlotte was named for him.
Levin theorized that they told her they were going to name the baby after her but didn't inform her that the name would be "Lilibet". How she came to that conclusion, I have no idea.

Parsley Sage

I am on the record as liking the name very much, but what I associate with it is the trashiest of miniseries, Lace - in which Lili (Phoebe Cates) got to deliver one of the most memorable lines in TV history. Obviously Lili Mountbatten-Windsor will never have to go to such extremes!

Is she going to be Lady Lili? As the daughter of a Duke she is entitled to it, but by the same logic Archie should be Lord Archie.

This is exactly why it would/should never have happened :D
If she was to be Lady Lili, I think it would have been included in the birth announcement. Archie is entitled to use Harry's secondary title "Earl of Dumbarton"

MsZem

I see the sea
If she was to be Lady Lili, I think it would have been included in the birth announcement. Archie is entitled to use Harry's secondary title "Earl of Dumbarton"
I've always been iffy on that because that's Harry's Scottish title that he's supposed to use there rather than a regular secondary title. But at the very least he should be Lord Archie and not Master Archie.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Kind of old-school on this, but IMO if they wanted to honour the Queen, it would have been more respectful to name the baby Elizabeth rather than a private nickname, and then refer to her as "Lili". I know that everyone and their dog knows that Lilibet is the Queen's nickname, but it seems more like a private family thing.

Lacey

Kind of old-school on this, but IMO if they wanted to honour the Queen, it would have been more respectful to name the baby Elizabeth rather than a private nickname, and then refer to her as "Lili". I know that everyone and their dog knows that Lilibet is the Queen's nickname, but it seems more like a private family thing.

Think I agree with you here, it might have been better to use Elizabeth Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, with the nickname "Lili" that they could have announced stood for Lilibet. (And perhaps could have included Meghan's mother's name, is it Doria?)

And Archie could have had a real name rather than Archie, which is fine as a nickname, something like Archer (or another choice) Harrison Mountbatten Windsor, known as Archie.

I did think they were supposed to consult the royals when they were royal, but, I guess they can do whatever now that they have declared their independence.

I do not think Harry was ever mad or upset with the queen, just the others, so this is not a kiss and makeup name. I think he truly has always loved and respected her and wanted to honor his grandmother.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Think I agree with you here, Elizabeth Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, with the nickname "Lili" would have been better. (And perhaps could have included Meghan's mother's name.)

And Archie should have had a real name rather than Archie, which is fine as a nickname, something like Archer Harrison Mountbatten Windsor, known as Archie.
If M&H had wanted Elizabeth then I think they would have chosen it. And if they had wanted something other than Archie then they would have chosen that too. Baby's names are not up to debate unless it's something horrible like Adolph or something cutesy that will ensure the kid will be bullied & even then it's still the parents' choice. I don't understand this discussion. It's a done deal.

skategal

Bunny mama
And then she would have had two-thirds of Charlotte's name and they would have been raked over the coals for that. :lol:
Exactly!

it would have been a huge uproar that they used Elizabeth as a first name and William and Kate didn’t use it as a first name but did as a second name.

They would have been seen as saying their daughter is as good as the monarch.

I think Lili (Lilibet) is much more appropriate, private family name.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If M&H had wanted Elizabeth then I think they would have chosen it. And if they had wanted something other than Archie then they would have chosen that too. Baby's names are not up to debate unless it's something horrible like Adolph or something cutesy that will ensure the kid will be bullied & even then it's still the parents' choice. I don't understand this discussion. It's a done deal.

I know it's the parents' choice. But that doesn't mean we can't comment on it. IMO they could have made a different choice.

MsZem

I see the sea
And then she would have had two-thirds of Charlotte's name and they would have been raked over the coals for that. :lol:
Copycats!

William and Catherine are kind of obligated to choose more traditional names, but the rest of QE's grandchildren clearly chose whatever names they liked.

VGThuy

I always found it weird when strangers commented on other parents' choice of names for their children. Even during the whole Apple Martin thing. It's a really personal decision. It's like how would you like it if people criticized your personal family choices (that don't ultimately harm the children).

ballettmaus

I didn't. :shuffle:

I had the same reaction, though, when I just learned that; Lilibet seems kind of private. But maybe they talked to the Queen about it and I do love Lili.

So, we can't discuss it and have an opinion on it? Much of what we talk about here or in other topics are done deals but we still talk about it.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm glad to see a few more people venturing the opinion that they aren't really fans of Lilibet. I was hesitant yesterday (thank you @starrynight for being the first!) lest people think I was being negative just for the sake of negativity. It just feels a bit too cutesy and coined/fashioned into a forename for my taste (and my friends circle has snarked on some baby names of non-celebrities we know in the past for similar reasons, lol). Lili is pretty enough to stand on its own.

But, it is nice that she has arrived safely and is healthy! The family should enjoy this time together. Hopefully the pan-demic situation will lighten enough within the next few weeks/months and they'll be able to travel to the UK to introduce her great-grandmother and the rest of Harry's family. I bet Charlotte will be all over a new baby in the family (though she does have Lucas and August in closer proximity and hopefully they've had a chance to meet already - not sure what the lockdown rules are still in the UK).

canbelto

I think Lili is pretty. Lillibet does sort of sound like your great grandmother's nickname (which it is lol), but then again Archie Harrison is really old fashioned too.

If you looked at their names, Lillibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor and Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor sound older than "Meghan Markle" and "Harry Windsor."

ballettmaus

I think Lili is pretty. Lillibet does sort of sound like your great grandmother's nickname (which it is lol), but then again Archie Harrison is really old fashioned too.
I'm a Madam Secretary fan and they had a scene when they were talking about the proposal and the husband had used a skywriter who had a missed a few letters and instead of Elizabeth, they wrote Elibet. So, that was my very first association. :lol:
I wonder how many times someone will write Lilibeth instead of Lilibet. (And that's just an observation from someone whose name gets spelled wrong all the time even by people who've known me for years. I'm used to it but I wouldn't be surprised if Lili becomes someone who'll automatically spell her name right after giving it).

Compared to their brothers, I think both girls (Charlotte and Lili) definitely got the better end of the deal. I'd even say Lili got the best one because I find Lili just so pretty. It's a beautiful flower and I think that the name reflects that.

canbelto

I'm a Madam Secretary fan and they had a scene when they were talking about the proposal and the husband had used a skywriter who had a missed a few letters and instead of Elizabeth, they wrote Elibet. So, that was my very first association. :lol:
I wonder how many times someone will write Lilibeth instead of Lilibet. (And that's just an observation from someone whose name gets spelled wrong all the time even by people who've known me for years. I'm used to it but I wouldn't be surprised if Lili becomes someone who'll automatically spell her name right after giving it).

Compared to their brothers, I think both girls (Charlotte and Lili) definitely got the better end of the deal. I'd even say Lili got the best one because I find Lili just so pretty. It's a beautiful flower and I think that the name reflects that.

I don't know how many people are called "Lilibeth" nowadays either. I often get "Dwyane Wade" wrong so ...

And I agree, royal boy names are often very stuffy. George, Louis and Archie are all stuffy. Lottie and Lili are all nice nicknames too.

clairecloutier

Kids' first names these days are all over the place. You still hear traditional names, but there are also many, many unusual names. In that sense, Lilibet and Archie don't really register as too odd or unusual to my ears. And, giving kids what would once have been nicknames as regular birth names is also fairly common.

I've always thought that the Queen's "Lilibet" nickname was adorable. I would be curious to know if they talked to her about the choice beforehand or surprised her with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information