Julia Lipnitskaya announces retirement

vexlak

I'm glad she's getting treatment but it's so sad how normalized a lot of this disordered eating is in this sport. I really do think both the ISU and individual federations need to tackle this issue head-on and consult with real nutritionists about what sort of eating should be encouraged in this sport. So many young people are so dependent on authority figures who should know better and they are usually the ones applauding and encouraging harmful lifestyles.

Unfortunately ISU contributes to the problem. Girls compete in ladies category and they are good until they hit the magic natural change. As soon as they turn to actual ladies they have problems. Added inches on their bodies also add psychological pressure to perform which leads to mental illness. We do not have to go far to see which other current "ladies" will shine bright for short time. Julia is a victim and it should be considered a crime to ruin someone life like that. I wish her good life from here on. Karma will take care of the rest...

Last edited:

Willin

^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that one of the reasons that they raised the age limit? That is, pre-puberty girls have a much easier time rotating jumps due to less body fat and a body shape that makes it easier to rotate (ie. no curves). I think we're seeing this right now - some of the young ladies skaters at the Junior level are able to do quads or pop off 3-3's like it's nothing, and then lose that ability after they go through puberty. Unfortunately, anorexia help alleviate those issues associated with going through puberty, which certainly makes it an attractive option (less body fat = less weight & less curves = better jumping, poor nutrition = delayed puberty).

I've wondered if it would help to raise the minimum age for Senior ladies to 18 by September 1st (month of the first big Senior International competition most seasons)? Or maybe they can promote programs like some of the older US and Canadian ladies do to minimize body fat that emphasize a healthy diet through nutrition coaching.

vexlak

^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that one of the reasons that they raised the age limit? That is, pre-puberty girls have a much easier time rotating jumps due to less body fat and a body shape that makes it easier to rotate (ie. no curves). I think we're seeing this right now - some of the young ladies skaters at the Junior level are able to do quads or pop off 3-3's like it's nothing, and then lose that ability after they go through puberty. Unfortunately, anorexia help alleviate those issues associated with going through puberty, which certainly makes it an attractive option (less body fat = less weight & less curves = better jumping, poor nutrition = delayed puberty).

I've wondered if it would help to raise the minimum age for Senior ladies to 18 by September 1st (month of the first big Senior International competition most seasons)? Or maybe they can promote programs like some of the older US and Canadian ladies do to minimize body fat that emphasize a healthy diet through nutrition coaching.

I am not aware of raised age limit. As of know we still applaud girls easily beating ladies.

nimi

I am not aware of raised age limit.
Few years ago, skaters who were not age eligible for worlds/olys/etc could compete in the GP, but not anymore.

Most (all?) of those skaters were female singles skaters, of course. Like Yulia.

Kateri

void beast
I'm heartbroken, but it's been clear for some time things weren't right, and the absolute priority is her health and happiness. Even in her short career, she became one of my favourite skaters, and I was so hoping I'd get to see her continue to mature artistically. I'd love to see her in shows someday, but above all, I hope she can heal and move on with her life in whatever way is best for her.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Not sure if this link was posted....

Figure skater Yulia Lipnitskaya retires at 19 after battling anorexia
Russian Olympic champ informed officials of retirement after 3 months of treatment

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/olympics...mp-yulia-lipnitskaya-retires-age-19-1.4265306

But this part made me sad....

Lipnitskaya struggled to accept anything other than victory, once leaving the arena rather than attending a medal ceremony when she came second at a Grand Prix competition.

vexlak

Few years ago, skaters who were not age eligible for worlds/olys/etc could compete in the GP, but not anymore.

Most (all?) of those skaters were female singles skaters, of course. Like Yulia.

It's still happening now.
For example:

GP France > ZAGITOVA DOB 18.05.2002
GP China > ZAGITOVA DOB 18.05.2002
GP Japan > TSURSKAYA DOB 11.07.2001
GP USA > TSURSKAYA DOB 11.07.2001

Both "girls" never competed on senior level. Guess who the coach is.

Stephanie

oleada

It's still happening now.
For example:

GP France > ZAGITOVA DOB 18.05.2002
GP China > ZAGITOVA DOB 18.05.2002
GP Japan > TSURSKAYA DOB 11.07.2001
GP USA > TSURSKAYA DOB 11.07.2001

Both "girls" never competed on senior level. Guess who the coach is.

Both of those skaters are eligible for senior competitions, as they will be 15 prior to July 1. So I'm not sure what that has got to do with anything.

vexlak

Both of those skaters are eligible for senior competitions, as they will be 15 prior to July 1. So I'm not sure what that has got to do with anything.

Please read my previous post. Pre-puberty girls should not be competing in Senior ladies category.

Sylvia

TBD
Another TASS article in English: http://tass.com/sport/962347

Russian Sports Minister Pavel Kolobkov is quoted as saying:
"Yulia Lipnitskaya is a great athlete, who will stay in the history of figure skating," Kolobkov said in an interview with TASS. "Her performance to the soundtrack from ā€˜Schindlerā€™s Listā€™ made an Olympic history."
"It is very sad that she decided to call it an end to her sports career so early, but I have no doubts that she will show herself more than once in other qualities and not in sports only," Kolobkov said. "It is possible that she will be able to start a career of a state official and we will be always waiting for her."
"She is a great athlete with a great personality no matter how young she is," the Russian sports minister said. "We will provide her with all necessary support."

SkateFanBerlin

^^

I've wondered if it would help to raise the minimum age for Senior ladies to 18 by September 1st (month of the first big Senior International competition most seasons)?
Arutyunyan talked about this two years ago. At the time because of the incomparability between 15 yo girls and 24 yo women. Maybe it's time to look at the health effects of pushing these children. (Talking not just about Lyp). I was watching a bit of the Bisbane JGP. These 13 yo girls with legs like match sticks pounding out the triples. What is the affect on a body still forming? And, the mental health of these youngsters subjected to grueling competition. Who is the advocate for these kids? If they were being routinely hurt working in a circus there would be a public outcry.

vexlak

Arutyunyan talked about this two years ago. At the time because of the incomparability between 15 yo girls and 24 yo women. Maybe it's time to look at the health effects of pushing these children. (Talking not just about Lyp). I was watching a bit of the Bisbane JGP. These 13 yo girls with legs like match sticks pounding out the triples. What is the affect on a body still forming? And, the mental health of these youngsters subjected to grueling competition. Who is the advocate for these kids? If they were being routinely hurt working in a circus there would be a public outcry.
:40beers:

hanca

Values her privacy
Please read my previous post. Pre-puberty girls should not be competing in Senior ladies category.
Tsurskaya is definitely not prepuberty, so not sure why you named her as an example. Also not sure how would you arrange that everyone who competes in seniors is post puberty. Some skaters go through puberty very late, for example Tursynbaeva. How high would you make the age limit to ensure that even skaters as Tursynbaeva are post puberty?

hanca

Values her privacy
Those 13 year old skaters skate in juniors. You surely are not suggesting to raise even juniors age?
I don't think limiting the number of triples in competition will improve the health of those juniors, because they will still be pushing the jumps at the practices because they know they would need them in seniors.

mollymgr

This is sad news. I hope she overcomes whatever is troubling her and finds her passion for skating or anything else she wants to pursue in the future.

bardtoob

There is no clear cut off, and never will be.

Alas, some time ago the years of extra training in compulsory figures gave ladies more than a chance over acrobats on ice when the competition format included figures.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
It is very sad that her career finishes like this, but she achieved so much within her short time. She should be proud of her achievements; most skaters won't achieve that in their lifetime. Hope she will get back to full health and find peace within herself.

clairecloutier

How high would you make the age limit to ensure that even skaters as Tursynbaeva are post puberty?

This is always the debate--where exactly the age limit should be. I think you set it at a point where most girls will have passed through puberty. There's always going to be outliers like Tursynbaeva, so you aim for most, not all. It is admittedly a tricky issue, though.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:( I could feel this was coming.

She'll always be an all-time favorite and nobody will ever have a layback spin as memorable as hers. What a showstopper move. :kickass: She created one of the most memorable moments in Sochi with her LP in the team event, and she's always been a lil' badass evil genius.

I wish her nothing but the best, lots of happiness, and hope she decides to come back to the sport at some point in the future (a spin coach, regular coach, choreographer, pairs skater, ice dancer, whatever works). :respec: :glamor:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I'll echo everyone else's sentiments here. I hope Lip is recovering as well as can be expected. She has her entire life and the entire world before her, and the sky is really the limit.

Her wildly successful 2013-2104 has gone down in the record books, and she gave us one of the most iconic programs of the past 20 years + an Olympic and European gold. :respec:

This is always the debate--where exactly the age limit should be. I think you set it at a point where most girls will have passed through puberty. There's always going to be outliers like Tursynbaeva, so you aim for most, not all. It is admittedly a tricky issue, though.

But at what cost? What happens when you have a bunch of 18 to 20 year olds competing for Olympic gold, but there are half a dozen 15 and 16 year olds who are clearly better but can't even compete in seniors for 2 more seasons? It's Asada in 2006 all over again, to an even greater degree.

I'd be curious to see if the average age of world medalists is trending up, down, or if there is no trend at all. Could be an interesting project (but not for me!) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information