Julia Lipnitskaya announces retirement

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
It's been obvious for a very long time now that this was coming. But it's no less sad when it finally happens.

I think Tatiana Tarasova sums it up best: "Yulia is a star. Some stars shine for a long time, while others will shine too bright and burn out. She lit up everything. I want to wish her a wonderful life, which she deserves, for she is a very good, very smart girl and very kind."

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Gotta love the Russian press. In the morning Piseev was quoted saying `Lipnitskaya should stop screwing around with her fans and the federation and announce the retirement', a couple of hours later there is a comment from her mother, from Tarasova, Averbukh, Gorshkov and am waiting for the other journalists to pick the phone numbers they have in their phones and dial. Expecting a comment from Vasiliev of how he could make her a successful pair skater, but instead she chose to become anorexic, from Staviiskii that her programmes were utter shite, from Tutberidze with `who am I? I'm just a modest worker' and Kovtun with `Yo! My homie Lipi!'. Oh, and please please please, Ivana Komova, can she please comment?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It's been obvious for a very long time that this coming. But it's no less sad when it finally happens.

I think Tatiana Tarasova sums it up best: "Yulia is a star. Some stars shine for a long time, while others will shine too bright and burn out. She lit up everything. I want to wish her a wonderful life, which she deserves, for she is a very good, very smart girl and very kind."

That was a lovely thing to say.

Carolla5501

:(:rolleyes: Sometimes I really don't understand some posters here. Some of them are eager to attack somebody.:kickass: I have a simply question. I don't think I should know everything. But we know many things about the skaters rumours, dates, etc. here. Yulia Lipnitskaya is a star she receives more media attentions as many others....

WHY? You seem to think that she is obligated to tell you stuff or that her "friends" are obligated to gossip about her so you would "know"???? Your questions come across as if you think there was some expectation of your being 'in the know"

Ka3sha

@Ka3sha, can you edit in/add @Jot the Dot Dot's link to the English version of the article http://tass.com/sport/962308 to to your original post in this thread? Thanks!

ETA that Julia apparently has not yet officially informed the federation of her retirement:
Sure!

Well, that's Gorshkov's usual reaction - he reacts like this every time: the Fed hasn't received any official documents yet, I don't know anything, we will need time and etc.
It was the same with I/K's split, Plushy retirements/comebacks, coaches changes and :barrel

Yehudi

AITA
:(:rolleyes: Sometimes I really don't understand some posters here. Some of them are eager to attack somebody.:kickass: I have a simply question. I don't think I should know everything. But we know many things about the skaters rumours, dates, etc. here. Yulia Lipnitskaya is a star she receives more media attentions as many others....

And nobody knew Angelina Jolie, arguably the biggest and most divisive tabloid personality in the world, got a double mastectomy until she wrote a lengthy article about it. Sometimes, even the biggest gossip mongers will leave someone alone to deal with a difficult issue.

lala

WHY? You seem to think that she is obligated to tell you stuff or that her "friends" are obligated to gossip about her so you would "know"???? Your questions come across as if you think there was some expectation of your being 'in the know"

Oh, I didn't think anything, dear..especially those words what you wrote. Calm down the frustrated persons aren't happy.

barbarafan

I'm glad she's getting treatment but it's so sad how normalized a lot of this disordered eating is in this sport. I really do think both the ISU and individual federations need to tackle this issue head-on and consult with real nutritionists about what sort of eating should be encouraged in this sport. So many young people are so dependent on authority figures who should know better and they are usually the ones applauding and encouraging harmful lifestyles.

Is it the coaches that drive these girls to damage themselves for results...If so, something should be done about that.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think Tatiana Tarasova sums it up best: "Yulia is a star. Some stars shine for a long time, while others will shine too bright and burn out. She lit up everything.
George Balanchine used to say that ballerinas were like flowers: some bloomed early and died out quickly, some bloomed late and lasted, etc.

I'm glad she lit into the person who commented about her current weight. It has even more meaning now.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Julia should be very proud of her accomplishments even though she had a relatively short FS career- Olympic gold, world silver, Junior world gold, European champ (?), and the joy she brought to viewers. I hope she will be happy with whatever she decides to do in the future.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Last edited:

poths

1st. I'd like to celebrate her unforgettable skating and talent that was given the perfect chance to shine, in Sochi. Those programs and performances will always be remembered - one of the few athletes to transcend the sport

2nd. I hope that she can overcome her physical and mental health problems. I also hope that the sport (and fans) can learn from her story. She was a successful athlete with a child's body but children have to grow. I can only imagine the pressure she was put under and the comments she had to listen to as her weight increased and the jumps became harder. It's a sport, the child comes first. Obviously. Coaches and (some) fans would do well to remember that!

Best of Luck, Julia. You were and always will be, a star!

FSfan107

I am hoping Julia is on the road to being healthy again. I struggled with Anorexia myself but I can only imagine how tough it must have been for Julia as a top level figure skater. My best wishes go out to her and she was an amazing skater to watch.

MsZem

I see the sea
Julia comes across in interviews as thoughtful and level-headed. I'm glad she's taking care of herself and making the best choices for her own well-being. Her skating career may have been short, but she has a lot to be proud of. I hope the same will be true of whatever she chooses to pursue in the future.

lala

More opinions in Russian media. Only the titles: ( google translate)

Ilya Averbukh: "The latest results influenced the decision of Yulia Lipnitskaya to finish her career"

Valentin Piseev: "Yulia Lipnitskaya's career would not have ended so early if she had believed in trainer Eteri Tutberidze"

Eteri Tutberidze: "Sport is a short period of life. Lipnitskaya could leave much sooner and live peacefully " -hmmmm

Tatiana Tarasova: "We were three years without Lipnitskaya and nothing was lost because of her departure"

Alexei Yagudin: "Lipnitskaya, in fact, completed her career more than two years ago" - he is talking about the Russian FS too much despite the fact he isn't interested in it.. he himself said it

Alexei Mishin: "Lipnitskaya opened the" window to Europe "for Russian women's skating" -very smart Mr Mishin

Maria Butyrskaya: "Lipnitskaya's decision to switch from Tutberidze to Urmanov was correct"

Maxim Kovtun - about leaving the sport Lipnitskaya: "It's always sad when talented sportsmen finish their careers"

Lipnitskaya refused to comment on the completion of his career - I'm wishing for you health and peace, Yulia!

Last edited:

Willin

I wish Lipnitskaya the very best! I hope she can live a happy and normal life now.

It's very sad to hear that she had anorexia. I think it's way to common in many sports for both men and women. I hope her revealing her struggle with it will help other skaters get help.

Interesting how harsh some of the quotes from the headlines are. I guess it's a cultural difference or sensationalism from the papers, but in the US when an athlete announces their retirement we tend to praise the athlete far more than he/she probably deserves as opposed to criticizing them.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Boy, I loved that kid and hoped against hope she would be back.

I thought she looked (as in body shape) healthy in the unitard in her last competition. It is sad, but true that when those sprites turn into women, they may not be able to rotate those fabulous jumps.

Anorexia is as much about control as it is about body image. Eating is one of the few things that a person has control over. Which is why one never wants to make food an battle ground with kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information