JoJo Gomez, Choreographer, Accuses Daniil Gleikhengauz of Stealing Her Work

Tinami Amori

Oh for god's sake...Zhenya has nothing to do with Daniel stealing choreo. I realize facts make no difference to a mentally ill lunatic, but do the mods even care about this constant thread hijacking? By the way, I guess his programs are free to anyone who wants them now. Just copy whatever you like, no attribution is required. Why do we even need other choreographers? Just recycle everything.
Zhenya, when she learned that Zagitova is skating to "Bad Guy", posted that "oh, it's her favorite music and she said so before Zagitova took it". The way she phrased it, sounded like "regret" and "oh, well.... i don't get to use it".

Given her crazy fans, she knew it would ralley them up against Zagitova. They IMMEDIATELY after her post started attacking Gleikh's and Zag's accounts..... and did not stop this whole time. They researched all there is about "Bad Guy" looking for "issues" and watched Alina's every move like a hawk (posting shit about this programme when earlier only small clips came out).

They found two issues:
  • Zagitova looks bulky in the costume, and started spreading info "Zagitova is fat and clumsy".
  • and sent a message to JoJo "that Zagitova is using the choreo".

How the heck do you think JoJo would find out that "some girl" is skating in a show across the ocean, with 3 performances which did not go on TV until last night? This Zag's video came out only yesterday, and JoJo happened to find out in 12 hours, by this morning?

Willin

And she never saw the Billie Eilish video either? :watch:
Lol

The funniest part of this whole thing by far is that Billie Eilish/the director of the Bad Guy video were also accused of plagiarism because the music video copied a fashion magazine spread shot-for-shot in parts. The jokes that could be made here... Bad Guy inspires plagiarism apparently.

So many skaters have programs inspired off So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing With The Stars routines.

Although I’ve noticed that plenty of those dancers/choreographers work regularly with skaters. I wonder if they contact the choreographer first before creating the skating programs?
For lower level programs, certainly not - the choreographers would probably never see them. For Senior international level programs, I know some skaters contact choreographers, but not all.

I would assume in this case it's harder - it's easy for SYTYCD and DWTS choreographers to work with skaters in the US, and the big US/Canadian coaches are usually pretty open to trying new things choreography-wise and using a variety of inspiration. Location of course helps - these choreographers may not have the money to travel, and if they do they're probably far too busy with doing dance choreography to go international. But I think the bigger thing is that coaches like Eteri aren't exactly open about trying new styles and new choreographers. Even if Jojo Gomez offered to choreograph this piece in the first place I'd bet Daniil would still have a heavy hand in it as well.

The real surprise in this story is that Billie Eilish has a choreographer. So much for her being a rebellious indie artist making up her own stuff in her bedroom at home :lol:
I mean, she is the daughter of two entertainment industry parents, went to a dance studio in a town/neighborhood where a lot of hollywood workers/producers/minor celebrities live (that one would assume has produced pro dancers), has plenty of neighbors in hollywood business, is mildly talented, and is really pretty/cute. If she didn't become famous I'd be surprised. She's practically the perfect person for industry types to manufacture into fame.

Finsta

Zhenya, when she learned that Zagitova is skating to "Bad Guy", posted that "oh, it's her favorite music and she said so before Zagitova took it". The way she phrased it, sounded like "regret" and "oh, well.... i don't get to use it".

Given her crazy fans, she knew it would ralley them up against Zagitova. They IMMEDIATELY after her post started attacking Gleikh's and Zag's accounts..... and did not stop this whole time. They researched all there is about "Bad Guy" looking for "issues" and watched Alina's every move like a hawk (posting shit about this programme when earlier only small clips came out).

They found two issues:
  • Zagitova looks bulky in the costume, and started spreading info "Zagitova is fat and clumsy".
  • and sent a message to JoJo "that Zagitova is using the choreo".

How the heck do you think JoJo would find out that "some girl" is skating in a show across the ocean, with 3 performances which did not go on TV until last night? This Zag's video came out only yesterday, and JoJo happened to find out in 12 hours, by this morning?

I think someone’s has really lost her mind. These constant crazy posts of the same rumors and internet postings seem borderline psychotic to me. I like skaters. I don’t obsessively hate on any of them. I’m scared for Medvedeva that someone goes to this extreme every day posting over and over all these conspiracy theories. I hope her camp can be alerted.

CaliSteve

JoJo Gomez has accused Daniil Gleikhengauz of stealing her choreography for Bad Guy and using it for Alina's exhibition program:

Oops...

Tinami Amori

I think someone’s has really lost her mind. These constant crazy posts of the same rumors and internet postings seem borderline psychotic to me. I like skaters. I don’t obsessively hate on any of them. I’m scared for Medvedeva that someone goes to this extreme every day posting over and over all these conspiracy theories. I hope her camp can be alerted.
"Rumors" have links to Medvedeva's posts about "using her music" and "hate and threats" immediately after on Zagitova and Gleikh's accounts. You want the link to Med's posts about "Bad Guy"? i have them...

By "her camp" i hope you mean "Zagitova", because she is the one who is getting physical threats and actions against her this whole year from Medvedeva's camp...... Just because she keeps winning from Medvedeva, and doing nothing wrong, or saying anything.... She just skates..

Oops what? Should i send to Michael Jackson's family estate manager ALL the programmes with "moon-walks", Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller choreography pieces used by skaters in their programmes?

babayaga

I bet Daniil must have just watched the music video on his own and mimicked the entire opening to show the moves to his muse. :saint:
Daniil already wrote that he showed the video to Alina. He is still the one responsible for this mess. Gomez already wrote something to Alina directly, probably threatening to sue or something. Daniil is such an idiot. There is about 15 seconds of her stupid choreo that he has taken, and the whole thing would actually look better without it. I also don't think he was trying to pretend it was his, he copied the opening moves so precisely that it was an obvious tribute to Gomez's work. It just didn't occur to him to give her explicit credit. :wall:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I mean, she is the daughter of two entertainment industry parents, went to a dance studio in a town/neighborhood where a lot of hollywood workers/producers/minor celebrities live (that one would assume has produced pro dancers), has plenty of neighbors in hollywood business, is mildly talented, and is really pretty/cute. If she didn't become famous I'd be surprised. She's practically the perfect person for industry types to manufacture into fame.

Oh, I know. It's her having this industry background and connections while portraying this "rebel indie slacker girl who randomly became famous" persona that I find so hilarious.

starrynight

I wonder at what point do choreographic moves from iconic video clips become fair game for tributes? I’ve seen skating programs to Lady Gaga songs where lots of Gaga style moves have been included as clear tributes.

But I suppose it’s a bit different when it’s a famous video clip as opposed to choreography by a dancer.

Tavi

I wonder at what point do choreographic moves from iconic video clips become fair game for tributes? I’ve seen skating programs to Lady Gaga songs where lots of Gaga style moves have been included as clear tributes.

In the US copyright and fair use are very fact specific, so there’s no simple answer. But using isolated moves is very different than outright copying whole chunks of a program choreographed by someone else, without first obtaining permission.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
This choreographer already said (in one of her comments) that she didn't copyright it so she has no recourse besides just posting about it.

starrynight

My next big question is how a song that just consists of mumbling down a microphone has become such a big hit... That's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

But then sometimes I listen back to the 90's/early 2000s pop that was popular when I was at school and some of it was horrifically bad. LOL But I guess because we were young and you could only listen to what was on the radio we didn't know any better.

But if this has been whipped up into a frenzy in a targeted fandom war, I think this is all a bit unkind and mean spirited. No matter what went down with the choreography, that has nothing to do with a 16 year old Zagitova, who I'm sure just accepted what Daniil gave to her. The extent to which people will go to be mean to skaters blows me away some times. It's awful for everyone involved.

I just saw this on On Ice Perspective's channel:

Seems like there's a lot of inspiration from Jo Jo's choreography going on there too, but it's not as literal an interpretation.

My new favorite game is to try and figure out how a thread can be turned into a Janny hate post before it happens. Because I've just accepted it's going to happen at this point.

I'm almost prepared to bet with the new Eteri juniors coming into seniors this year that there's going to be a changing of guard in terms of favourites. By contrast, a quick search of the forums will show you that not too long ago Medvedeva used to be the golden princess child who could do no wrong (unlike that evil, bad, bad Lipnitskaya). :D

Last edited:

TallyT

It's probably impossible to prove it illegal under the labyrinthine international copyright laws. Definitely unethical on the part of the skating choreographer and rather stupid to try and claim something as well-known as his creation.

Why Alina and Evgenia should be blamed for his actions is beyond me.

UGG

This is crazy for many reasons:
- This means that every Ballet and Opera company, Broadway production, and music video producers can complain about "skaters using parts of their choreo in their routines".

- Some of these moves are present in Billie Eilish original video, so it's hard to tell who copied what from whom. Skaters and stage dancers copy moves from music videos.

- JoJo Gomez also did a choreo to Ariana Grande's "7 rings" which Medvedeva is skating to in her show number. And the moves are similar.

... and the most disturbing issue, which many russians on their sites are talking about, is that JoJo Gomez has no idea who Zagitova is, and not following her shows in Japan (where she skated this routine only few times, and it has not been published until now).

But a group of Medvedeva fans (the same who have been posting a barrage of hate against Alina, and threats of physical harm and insults, on Alina's site), have formed a solid base to take Alina and Eteri's team down, and they watch Alina's every move, and try to cause as much harm as possible, very possible with help of Medvedeva's agent, given there are certain professional methods used. They are the ones who made sure that JoJo Gomez gets the video.

I will not post pages and pages of nasty threats which are sent to Alina on daily basis from Medvedeva fans (they are not hiding that they are), but quite few of them are criminal, like "throwing acid in her face", calling to do and wishing "to break her legs", and notes saying "i went to church today, to pray for you and Eteri to have misery for the rest of your life".

All this is just because Alina won Olympics from Medvedeva, and Medvedeva's fans can't stand it. They say so in their messages. I have copies of it all, but will not flood this message unless someone wants to see them.

Alina, on the other hand, has not taken this to the press or made any public complains.

❓❓❓❓❓❓❓

Fairuza

JoJo renewed her initial message under that insta post - now it says:
When my bad guy choreography gets stolen & broadcasted on national television🙄😂 @daniil_gleikhengauz I appreciate & am flattered by how inspired you were by my work - but please hire me & book my flight to JAPAN next time instead of steal.

This post is NOT directed towards Alina. I think she is extremely talented & beautiful. I would love to teach her my choreography & dance with her. But what her coach did was unacceptable & unprofessional. This is on the adult.

Tavi

This choreographer already said (in one of her comments) that she didn't copyright it so she has no recourse besides just posting about it.

I’m not going to go into a long winded discussion of how copyright works, but this is is absolutely, totally, completely, wrong.

Finsta

JoJo renewed her initial message under that insta post - now it says:
When my bad guy choreography gets stolen & broadcasted on national television🙄😂 @daniil_gleikhengauz I appreciate & am flattered by how inspired you were by my work - but please hire me & book my flight to JAPAN next time instead of steal.

This post is NOT directed towards Alina. I think she is extremely talented & beautiful. I would love to teach her my choreography & dance with her. But what her coach did was unacceptable & unprofessional. This is on the adult.

Glad the source herself posted she heard because it was televised. So much for all the ridiculous nonsense posted on this board about Medvedeva being responsible. I think someone on this board listing things as facts owes Medvedeva a huge apology. Medvedeva is still a young girl herself. The coach is to blame for his stealing. Not Medvedeva

CaliSteve

Oops what? Should i send to Michael Jackson's family estate manager ALL the programmes with "moon-walks", Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller choreography pieces used by skaters in their programmes?

Lighten Up!

There is a difference between mimicking Michael Jackson's iconic moves and copying a choreographer's body of work. But all that is a moot point because none of it was copyrighted so there is no legal recourse.

Danill was not the first or will be the last to copy Jojo's (or anyone else) choreo work, it happens all the time. She just wanted credit. She eventually got it, and an apology.

It will all blow over.

zebraswan

There is also an obvious difference between an homage where everyone knows where the moves came from, and taking whole chunks of choreo without any credit. Yes, it happens, but if you are a professional choreographer yourself, you must know better. How would he like it if it happened to him? But he said sorry, so everything is fine? He's only sorry that he was called out on it. I don't think Daniil did it maliciously by any means...but I respect him a lot less now. It's just lazy, uninspired and not ok for someone in his position.

shine

Daniil already wrote that he showed the video to Alina. He is still the one responsible for this mess. Gomez already wrote something to Alina directly, probably threatening to sue or something. Daniil is such an idiot. There is about 15 seconds of her stupid choreo that he has taken, and the whole thing would actually look better without it. I also don't think he was trying to pretend it was his, he copied the opening moves so precisely that it was an obvious tribute to Gomez's work. It just didn't occur to him to give her explicit credit. :wall:
I honestly don’t really understand this whole argument that it’s all the choreographer’s fault and it has nothing to do with poor innocent Alina. Why? Is it because she’s only 17? But she’s 17 not 7. I’m pretty sure I was well aware of the concept of plagiarism by 17.

Tavi

Lighten Up!

There is a difference between mimicking Michael Jackson's iconic moves and copying a choreographer's body of work. But all that is a moot point because none of it was copyrighted so there is no legal recourse.

Danill was not the first or will be the last to copy Jojo's (or anyone else) choreo work, it happens all the time. She just wanted credit. She eventually got it, and an apology.

It will all blow over.

Look, you may be right that this will all blow over, but Im not sure why you others here keep repeating that her work wasn’t copyrighted and that she has no recourse, because it’s not true.

In the US, once you create an original dance work and fix it in a tangible medium - for example, by recording it on film or video - you have copyright in that work. You don’t need to file a copyright registration. You don’t need to post notice. Nothing.

ETA @shine, Alina is not legally or morally responsible for the acts of her choreographer.

CaliSteve

Look, you may be right that this will all blow over, but Im not sure why you others here keep repeating that her work wasn’t copyrighted and that she has no recourse, because it’s not true.

In the US, once you create an original dance work and fix it in a tangible medium - for example, by recording it on film or video - you have copyright in that work. You don’t need to file a copyright registration. You don’t need to post notice. Nothing.

ETA @shine, Alina is not legally or morally responsible for the acts of her choreographer.

My "no recourse' statement was directly from Jojo Gomez. She mentioned this in her Instagram story. Jojo also stated that her choreo gets copied alot.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Legally no. But she agreed to use the choreography. So unless Daniil lied to her about this being his original work, she’s responsible for the blame (whatever it is) to the same extent that her choreographer is.
Are you seriously holding a 17-year old to equal account as an adult? DG is a professional who should know better. I can't say the same about Zagitova.

Tavi

My "no recourse' statement was directly from Jojo Gomez. She mentioned this in her Instagram story. Jojo also stated that her choreo gets copied alot.

Given that her choreo gets copied a lot, it’s unfortunate that she’s apparently never been advised by a copyright lawyer and is unaware of her rights.

@shine, how do you know the question ever came up? Leaving that aside, copyright law is pretty complex and varies by jurisdiction. What’s okay and what’s not okay in one country or another is highly fact specific. I personally don’t think it’s right to criticize or blame a 17 year old skater for not understanding the law or for rejecting a program given to her by a trusted, adult choreographer.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I honestly don’t really understand this whole argument that it’s all the choreographer’s fault and it has nothing to do with poor innocent Alina. Why? Is it because she’s only 17? But she’s 17 not 7. I’m pretty sure I was well aware of the concept of plagiarism by 17.
:lol: clearly you haven't taught at the high school or college level and ever graded a paper, or been in a business meeting where a manager presented an employee idea as their own and thought nothing of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information