Japanese figure skating 2021-22 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Japan is sending 5 skaters to Coupe du Printemps in Luxembourg (March 18-20) - link to the competition thread in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2022-coupe-du-printemps-march-18-20-luxembourg.109503/

Senior Men:
Kazuki TOMONO JPN (S5 at Nationals)
Tatsuya TSUBOI JPN (J2/S9; assigned to Jr. Worlds)

Senior Women:
Rion SUMIYOSHI JPN (S8; Jr. Worlds)
Rinka WATANABE JPN (S6; Jr. Worlds)

Ami NAKAI JPN (J7/S27) is listed in Junior Women.
I was thrilled to read that we would be seeing Kazuki again!

Sylvia

TBD
Large (7.3) earthquake just reported near Fukushima. Tsunami alert issued. :( Reports that power is cut to parts of Tokyo.
Thread I’ve started in OTBT:

In addition to sending skaters to this week’s Coupe du Printemps in Luxembourg (see my post #331 above), JSF is sending a team to Egna Spring Trophy:
ETA: This will be Mao Shimada’s international debut! :) (she’s 12 and has landed clean quad toes in domestic competitions this season).

Last edited:

Jonas

I'm gonna bet on a Japanese sweep of the men's podium in Montpelier!! Feeling really bold today, so why not?!?!

Your thoughts...

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Thread I’ve started in OTBT:

In addition to sending skaters to this week’s Coupe du Printemps in Luxembourg (see my post #331 above), JSF is sending a team to Egna Spring Trophy:
ETA: This will be Mao Shimada’s international debut! :) (she’s 12 and has landed clean quad toes in domestic competitions this season).
Kataise representing Japan internationally :cheer2: I'll be so happy if this means JSF have also seen and recognised his talent and have pencilled him in as one of next season's loadbearing junior men.

Also very happy to see Tanaka in the junior women's field.

Enchanted

Fantasy on ice show has revealed some of the skaters on the show. The headliners will be Buttle, Fernandez, Lambiel, Weir and Oda. Arakawa will also skate.

:shuffle: This lineup is like something you might have thought after the 2010 olympics but in 2022…?

gotoschool

Congratulations to Kaori on winning Worlds. I really sympathize with Wakaba and Mana and hope they come back strong next season, but now the full realization of the JSF's corrupt and cruel decision to eliminate Mai from World and the Olympics in complete contradiction to the international scoring averages is obvious both in terms of its great injustice to Mai and the way in which it endangered Japan's three places at next year's Worlds. If the Russian skaters had been present, with these current placements Japan would not have reached the magic number 13 and they would have lost their three places for 2023 Worlds. In my opinion, this is not a reflection on the efforts of Wakaba and Mana but instead on the JSF which has gotten away with what often appear to be attempts to sabotage its team and skaters on numerous occasions.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just saw this post on IG from Satoko Miyahara -

Hello everyone!

As it is my birthday, I decided to announce an important report.

Since last Nationals, I had been thinking a lot about my career.

I dedicated all of my power and mentality (especially this year) through figure skating. Last year I ended competing at Nationals with huge fulfillment. Therefore I decided to retire from competing.

I have no regrets. And, I have a lot of dreams for my next step.

I would like to appreciate to my family, coaches, friends, federation, sponsors, fans and everyone who supported me. I cannot fully express my appreciations.

Thank you very much.

Oh,,, but please stay tuned!!

I will do my best to develop my new stage.

End of an era from our Tiny Empress!

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
:(:wuzrobbed

I love her skating so much. One of my all-time favourite skaters, and some of my all-time favourite programs. I’ll miss her ethereal and regal skating so damn much…

All the best to the exquisite Satoko Miyahara

Allskate

It's sad that Satoko is not going to be competing anymore. She is such a beautiful skater but just can't compete jump-wise with all the other talented Japanese skaters. I wonder what this "next stage" will be.

Sylvia

TBD
2021-22 Novice A and Junior champion Mao Shimada (turned 13 last October) finally made her international debut at Egna Spring Trophy in Italy and easily won the Adv. Novice Girls gold medal (107.75 in FS, 160.68 total) with an impressive combination of power & grace. The FS jumps she landed today were: 3Aqb (8.00 bv -1.07 goe = 7.93), 3Lzb+3T (= 12.67), 3F, 3Lo, 2Ab+3T+2T, 3Lz (no quads allowed at this level internationally) - link to her video captured from the livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vSp7UQ-jmI
Edited to add that the same YT account also has her Adv. Novice SP (3Fb, 2Ab, 3Lz+2T; scored 52.93): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8VzdPJmhr8

From October 2021:
Mao Shimada, 12, (also Kinoshita Academy where Mie Hamada coaches) landed a clean 4T (9.5 BV + 1.90 GOE = 11.40 points), along with 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3Lo, 2A+3T+2T & 3Lz in her Novice A free skate (scored an impressive 120.83):
Mao Shimada's Oct. 2021 Regional FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8owbXJibY

Last edited:

ostile17

After working on the project for new unique blades (one single piece of metal) Takahiko Kozuka
is now working on a brand new concept for boots that will help the skaters to skate more comfortably and longer by reducing the burden on the his/her/ body.

Today, he went to Stars on Ice in Tokyo to take measurements of a certain athlete's feet... Daisuke Takahashi. Nice to see them together again after quite a long time.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m still in awe of Tatsuya Tsuboi’s bronze-medal winning FS at Jr Worlds, to Rachmaninov Preludes! This is in the running for my top-10 list of fave programs this season. Now this is why I love figure skating…not to bop around in a chair listening to rappers!!!

SkateFanBerlin

I’m still in awe of Tatsuya Tsuboi’s bronze-medal winning FS at Jr Worlds, to Rachmaninov Preludes! This is in the running for my top-10 list of fave programs this season. Now this is why I love figure skating…not to bop around in a chair listening to rappers!!!

He used some other middle section. The Gminor prelude has a lovely middle section, but he didn't use it. I wonder why.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting here and in the 2022 Junior Worlds subforum (Free Dance thread) in Kiss & Cry:

Cathy Reed's proud coach post about her pupils Nao Kida/Masaya Morita: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcjZHVVpSJZ/
It’s been 7 years since I’ve retired from competition, and in just one year I taught an ice dance team and took them to their first Junior World Championships placing 12th. I couldn’t be more proud of Nao and Masaya.
Without Chris by my side, I knew it would be challenging, but I had the support from Kinoshita Academy, the help from their lift coach Chad Westgate @slimch28 and also the faith and trust from both Nao and Masaya. And of course the support from all my fans❣️ Thank you so much❤️
I know Chris is always with me, guiding me every step of the way❤️ so I will continue to do my best for Japanese Ice Dance. They have a promising future😉🎌💃🏻🎶✨
Cathy's blog post in Japanese has YT videos of Kida/Morita's Junior Worlds programs embedded: https://ameblo.jp/reed-icedance-blog/entry-12738387332.html

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Per this article, the JSF announced their national team list today (Senior/Junior National Results listed after skater's name): https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2022/04/21/kiji/20220421s00079000259000c.html

"Special" Level:
Men - Yuzuru Hanyu S1, Shoma Uno S2, Yuma Kagiyama S3, Kazuki Tomono S5, Kao Miura S4, Tatsuya Tsuboi S9 (JWC2)
Women - Kaori Sakamoto S1, Wakaba Higuchi S2, Mana Kawabe S3, Mai Mihara S4
Pairs - Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara n/a (WC2)

Level A:
Men - Sena Miyake S6, Shun Sato S7, Sota Yamamoto S8, Nozomu Yoshioka S20/J29
Women - Rinka Watanabe S6, Rino Matsuike S7, Rion Sumiyoshi S8/J15, Mao Shimada J12, Mone Chiba S11/J21
Ice Dance - Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto S1, Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahshi S2

Level B:
Men - Koshiro Shimada S10, Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda S12, Takeru Kataise S14/J5, Kosho Oshima S16/J2, Shunsuke Nakamura S25/J20, Ryoga Morimoto J27
Women - Hana Yoshida S9/J28, Ayumi Shibayama S10/J11, Yuhana Yokoi S12, Azusa Tanaka S18/J19, Ami Nakai S27/J22, Ikura Kushida J8
Ice Dance - Nao Kida/Masaya Morita J1
Synchro - Jingu Ice Messengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information