Japanese figure skating 2021-22 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Is sending Mai likely, though? JSF has already announced the Worlds team and it includes Mana Kawabe.

I find the whole situation extremely unfair for Mai :(.

The positive side: If Mai had been named to the Olympics team, she wouldn’t have been at Four Cs, where she won.

gotoschool

Is sending Mai likely, though? JSF has already announced the Worlds team and it includes Mana Kawabe.

I have to say that as extreme as the bias is in scoring for a certain group of skaters and even though I do enjoy Mana's performances, the greatest injustice this season to me is the JSF' s stubborn and unjust insistence to stiff Mai, their second highest scoring skater internationally, from attending either the Olympics or Worlds based on what appear to me biased and razor thin margins at Nationals especially since she had just recovered from such a debilitating illness and since it deprives a wider audience from witnessing such supreme artistry and buttery smooth skating.

cohkaix

Mai is listed as the 1st alternate to the WC. In this case, unless for some special reasons Mana will WD, there will be no reason for JSF to replace Mana.

I'm wondering if Mana had been peaking at a wrong time. But hopefully she can recover somehow for WC.

Dobre

My sense is that Mana has always had wonky technique on her non-axel jumps, and that she's made good strides this season; but when the nerves get going full-bore, athletes tend to fall back on old habits. And there is no scenario in which that is more likely to happen than an Olympic Games. She will benefit from the experience at Worlds and could well have a redemptive skate there, though I wish they were sending Mai.

Marco

They shouldn't have placed Mana ahead of Mai at Nationals nor named her to the team over Mai. The JPN Fed got what they deserved for allowing politics to play out. Mana's jumps have always been more inconsistent (and with wonkier technique) than Mai's so what happened in Beijing wasn't unexpected at all.

Not that they care though, Wakaba and Kaori will likely be the medal prospects at Worlds and retain the 3rd spot anyways.

If anything, I hope the Olympics will open the judges' eyes on Wakaba and allow Wakaba to earn the PCS she truly deserves at Worlds.

YukiNieve

Spun Silver

Japan Post will issue the commemorative stamp collections of figure skaters who participated in the team event for Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics!

There are stamp collections for individual skaters who got medals (Shoma, Yuma, Kaori), too.
Kaori must have had another breakdown to see this. It's wonderful! She and the rest will be all over Japan!

On My Own

Wow, I was looking at the Olympic men's protocols again, and am saddened to see that the judges resorted to the "foolishness" of thinking that Kagiyama's jumps aren't all +5 quality, despite his sheer capability of doing so, including on his unclear edge 3Lz, better than a lutz taking off a proper outside edge. I hope next season, they can clean up their act with this, because IMO, his jump scoring more than anything else made the entire Olympics a farce. We all know they're extremely high too (Newton is wrong), and his twisted upper body forced vault leading to an effortful air position is in fact "effortless".

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Is that in reference to any particular conversation? I feel like I missed something. :huh:

robinhood

Wow, I was looking at the Olympic men's protocols again, and am saddened to see that the judges resorted to the "foolishness" of thinking that Kagiyama's jumps aren't all +5 quality, despite his sheer capability of doing so, including on his unclear edge 3Lz, better than a lutz taking off a proper outside edge. I hope next season, they can clean up their act with this, because IMO, his jump scoring more than anything else made the entire Olympics a farce. We all know they're extremely high too (Newton is wrong), and his twisted upper body forced vault leading to an effortful air position is in fact "effortless".
:confused::confused::confused:
Kagiyama didn't attempt any Lutzes in his Olympics programs.

skatfan

I don’t understand anything that you’ve written or the point we are to take from it.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Marco

The odds of JPN ladies medalling or even winning the world championsips just went way up with RUS out. Wakaba skated so well at the last post Olympic Worlds - let's see if this trend can continue. And obviously Kaori. Just a bit sad that Mai and Rika are not going to Worlds to capitalize on this.

With the uncertainty of Nathan competing at the world championships (I know he said he would, but he has been SO busy with appearances lately), Yuma and Shoma have a very good shot at the title. In any event, even Nathan had one pop at the Olympics - Yuma was still VERY close to him score wise. If both skated and both skated clean, the result might be closer than we think. And I would never count out Shoma.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The odds of JPN ladies medalling or even winning the world championsips just went way up with RUS out. Wakaba skated so well at the last post Olympic Worlds - let's see if this trend can continue. And obviously Kaori. Just a bit sad that Mai and Rika are not going to Worlds to capitalize on this.

With the uncertainty of Nathan competing at the world championships (I know he said he would, but he has been SO busy with appearances lately), Yuma and Shoma have a very good shot at the title. In any event, even Nathan had one pop at the Olympics - Yuma was still VERY close to him score wise. If both skated and both skated clean, the result might be closer than we think. And I would never count out Shoma.
Yuma was not close to Nathan scorewise. He lost by 22 points - https://results.isu.org/events/owg2022_Men.htm - and that was with a popped 3f from Nathan. Both Yuma and Shoma are going to have to skate better and cleaner and hope for an even more imperfect Nathan if they want to win, assuming Nathan shows.

Kaori and Wakaba are in a great position to win or medal.

Carolla5501

He was holding a bag of ice on his leg in that ridiculous sofa backstage at the Olympics. Poor guy. I hope he takes his time on the recovery.
I really don’t feel that sorry for him. He made these decisions he’s the one to put all the focus on we’re going to landing a quad axel. this is what it’s done to him.

He’s the one who decided not to have a coach And I firmly think that decision was because a good coach would have not agreed to this insanity of the quad axle that was tearing up your ankle

barbk

I really don’t feel that sorry for him. He made these decisions he’s the one to put all the focus on we’re going to landing a quad axel. this is what it’s done to him.

He’s the one who decided not to have a coach And I firmly think that decision was because a good coach would have not agreed to this insanity of the quad axle that was tearing up your ankle
It does seem that the quad axel is Hanyu's Moby Dick.

Allskate

Brian Boitano and Scott Hamilton said the same thing before the men's competition - that no coach would have Hanyu doing the quad axel, particularly because he was not landing it in practice. I watched Hanyu during practice in Beijing on the Peackock practice camera. He did a bunch of quad axel attempts. Not only did he not stand up on any of them, he did not come close to fully rotating them.

Yes, it was Hanyu's decision, but I do feel bad for him. I found it sad that Hanyu was so bent on doing the quad axel when he wasn't even close to landing one in practice and had a history of ankle problems. It's like he thought he did not have any value as a skater unless he could either win another gold or do the quad axel. I think he's wrong. His exhibition program was gorgeous.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes, it was Hanyu's decision, but I do feel bad for him. I found it sad that Hanyu was so bent on doing the quad axel when he wasn't even close to landing one in practice and had a history of ankle problems. It's like he thought he did not have any value as a skater unless he could either win another gold or do the quad axel. I think he's wrong. His exhibition program was gorgeous.
His competition attempt was quite good considering the practices. He has two Olympic gold medals already and seems to be driven on the quad Axel alone, which is his choice. I don't think he was all that concerned with winning a third gold and if the 4A race is what's keeping (or kept) him in this Olympic cycle, then it's on him. Everyone has different motivations.

liv

Like Patrick Chan said, (I'm paraphrasing), after having made that sp mistake, and having won 2 OGMs, what motivation would winning a bronze have? Might as well throw 4A in there. I wish it had been a story book ending, but he already got that in 2018 after the injury.

As for Worlds, it will be exciting. A Japanese lady could very well win now... it will be interesting to see who can rise, or be hungry enough to win... or will someone unexpected take the title... knowing the Russians won't be there presents opportunities, expectations and pressures that weren't there before. Let's see what happens.

And Worlds pairs... what happens with pairs? The J team could get close there now too.

KaoriFan

I enjoyed Kaori's fast speed and flow and Wakaba's fabulous triple axel and impressive commitment to really go for all her elements, but I am heartbroken for Mana. I sincerely hope she is able to make it back and become even better.

I couldn't agree more! Kaori and Waka were amazing at Olympics, we can always keep our fingers crossed that medals will be different one day, but I too hope Mana will have another chance at Olympics. That's the only thing missing. She looked physically ill after her skate, and totally dejected barely able to wave her Hinomaru later in the stands. The one thing I will be wishing for most is that Mana can get back to Olympics again. IF she does, I know she will have two amazing skates!

Sylvia

TBD
JSF has published links to their 2022 Olympics/Worlds/4CC/ Junior Worlds assignments here: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=132

2022 World Championships https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/world_2022.pdf
Men: Hanyu, Uno, Kagiyama
Women: Sakamoto, Higuchi, Kawabe
Pair: Miura/Kihara
Ice Dance: Muramoto/Takahashi

Men's alternates: Kao Miura, Kazuki Tomono, Sena Miyake
Women's alternates: Mai Mihara, Satoko Miyahara, Rino Matsuike
Ice Dance alternate: Komatsubara/Koleto

2022 World Junior Championships https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/wjfsc_2022.pdf
Men: Kao Miura (J1/S4), Shun Sato (S7), *Tatsuya Tsuboi (J2/S9)
Women: *Rinka Watanabe (S6), Rion Sumiyoshi (J2/S8)
Dance: *Nao Kida/Masaya Morita (J1)
*all got their respective TES minimums at Bavarian Open

Men's alternates: Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda (S12), Nozomu Yoshioka (J3/S20)
Women's alternates: Rino Matsuike (S7), *Hana Yoshida (J4/S9) - needs minimums
JSF republished their ISU Championships assignments dated March 7 - as of March 6, Ice Messengers to Synchro Worlds, April 7-9, in Hamilton, ON, Canada: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=132

Their 2022 Worlds & Junior Worlds assignments are unchanged as of 12/26/21 (listed in quoted part above with the only Worlds change being Kao Miura replacing the injured Hanyu).

Sylvia

TBD
Ayumi Takanami and Shingo Nishiyama — 3rd in Senior ice dance at Nationals — have split :( according to their respective Instagram stories - a translated version was tweeted here: https://twitter.com/inthelopodcast/status/1501736663235633155

ETA that Nishiyama has since clarified his earlier tweet - “I will not quit the ice dance competition. I'm sorry if there is a misunderstanding.
Ice dancing has enriched my skating life. Toronto taught me the challenge.
Please keep an eye on my efforts.”
: https://twitter.com/shinnnnn_gooo/status/1501775570991927302

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information