Japanese figure skating 2021-22 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Japan have to be the overwhelming favorites now to win the Bronze in the team event now that they have a quality Pairs teams to go along with their strong singles skaters.
Not really. My current projections have them earning 6 points in the pairs SP for the team event - they won't beat any team Russia or China puts on the ice in the TE, and their SP from ACI is lower than K/F's SP from the John Nicks Challenge last weekend. We haven't seen M-T/M yet but nothing from J/R this weekend indicates that M-T/M won't be Canada's #1 going into Beijing. Even if they did manage to finish ahead of both M-T/M and K/F (not out of the realm of possibility), they still have a major weakness in dance that is hard to overcome. Right now, P/G have a really strong RD that is going to put them in either 1st or 2nd; even if K/K earn the Beijing spot over Kana/Dai, they are probably looking at 8th in the RD at best. That is a deficit of 6 points right there to make up. Then you have to figure that Canada's lady will be either Schizas or Ruiter - and they're both more than likely to finish ahead of the women from China, Italy, Germany, and the 10th team that qualifies. I just don't see how Canada loses enough points across women, men and pairs to get Japan into a position where they can be considered the favorite to win bronze.

mikeko

Not really. My current projections have them earning 6 points in the pairs SP for the team event - they won't beat any team Russia or China puts on the ice in the TE, and their SP from ACI is lower than K/F's SP from the John Nicks Challenge last weekend. We haven't seen M-T/M yet but nothing from J/R this weekend indicates that M-T/M won't be Canada's #1 going into Beijing. Even if they did manage to finish ahead of both M-T/M and K/F (not out of the realm of possibility), they still have a major weakness in dance that is hard to overcome. Right now, P/G have a really strong RD that is going to put them in either 1st or 2nd; even if K/K earn the Beijing spot over Kana/Dai, they are probably looking at 8th in the RD at best. That is a deficit of 6 points right there to make up. Then you have to figure that Canada's lady will be either Schizas or Ruiter - and they're both more than likely to finish ahead of the women from China, Italy, Germany, and the 10th team that qualifies. I just don't see how Canada loses enough points across women, men and pairs to get Japan into a position where they can be considered the favorite to win bronze.
We'll probably see at NHK Trophy. Kana/Dai have been improving so fast this year.

J

Jeschke

How are olympic spots determined this season?
Sorry if I missed post (and sorry for being too lazy to scroll all the way back)

ostile17

At a board meeting held today in Tokyo, JSF decided to send some athletes to CS competitions.

Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi are entered at the CS Warsaw Cup (November 18-21, Warsaw, Poland). They will go there right after having competed at the NHK Trophy the previous weekend (November 12-14).

Together with their participation in the Eastern Japan Championships (October 28-31) it will be their third competition in just three weeks.🙀

Let's all pray for Dai's old and battered knees, please!

Other JSF entries:

CS Warsaw Cup (November 18-21)

Sota Yamamoto
Koshiro Shimada
Mai Mihara
Yuhana Yokoi
Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi

(Subs: Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda, Sena Miyake, Mana Kawabe, Tomoe Kawabata)

CS Cup of Austria (November 11-14)

Sena Miyake
Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
Mana Kawabe
Wakaba Higuchi
Tomoe Kawabata

(Subs: Sota Yamamoto, Yuhana Yokoi)

Already announced:

CS Asian Open Trophy

Yuma Kagiyama Shun Sato (Substitutes: Kao Miura, Sena Miyake) Women: Rika Kihira, Kaori Sakamoto (Substitutes: Mana Kawabe, Mai Mihara) Ice dance: Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto

Last edited:

Fairuza

Protocol
TES 42.79 + PCS 26.08 = TSS 68.87

They got a very good score with PD level 4. I also understand why their PCS is so low.
I wonder whether the music selection fits the urban/street dance rhythm theme, though.
No idea. I guess the judges have got no idea either what street dances should look like.
The FD is here. They finished second with the score of over 170

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Japan Open will be a domestic event again this year:
Japan Open (domestic edition) is this coming weekend! Have any details been announced, e.g., names of competitors, schedule, news on a livestream?

Frau Muller

Japan Open (domestic edition) is this coming weekend! Have any details been announced, e.g., names of competitors, schedule, news on a livestream?

Just kicking this up. Will Japan Open 2021 be streamed? Is there a link? Names of competitors...who’ll be on each of the two teams? Many of us fans will appreciate this information. 💐

cohkaix

No streaming available! For the first time JO won't be shown on TV!
Tickets will be sold for a streaming!
Actually, one of the streaming access site is with 'Zaiko', and the live broadcasting by Zaiko should be viewable overseas (outside Japan). I used to watch Mao Asada's Thanks Tour using Zaiko, and it worked fine for me.

Here's the link to how you can purchase the ticket: https://l-tike.zaiko.io/e/jocoi2021

There's a 3-day pass which costs 5000Y, and it covers both the JO and CaOI (2 days). If you want to buy the ticket separately, it's 2000Y for each event.

Sylvia

TBD
Jackie Wong's jump notes & results/FS scores from watching the livestream:

GIF of Wakaba Higuchi's impressive 3A: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1444170266079375360
GIF of Mana Kawabe's 3A (she recently was invited as an alternate to the Skate Canada GP): https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1444171856945233923

ETA:

2021 Japan Open results page: https://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2021-2022/japanopen/

Men's FS protocols: https://jsfresults.com/InterNational/2021-2022/japanopen/data0105.pdf
Shoma UNO 181.21
Shun SATO 179.32
Keiji TANAKA 163.93
Sota YAMAMOTO 156.13
Kazuki TOMONO 147.44
Sena MIYAKE 126.46

Women's FS protocols: https://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2021-2022/japanopen/data0205.pdf
Wakaba HIGUCHI 136.27
Rino MATSUIKE 135.12
Mana KAWABE 134.91
Kaori SAKAMOTO 133.26
Mai MIHARA 124.24
Satoko MIYAHARA 119.69

Last edited:

gotoschool

I particularly enjoyed Mana's, Rino's and Wakaba's Lp's at the Japan Open and congratulations to all for landing a triple axel, but Mana was my favorite and the superlowballing of her PCS especially with the highest tech score is scandalous and looks like they are playing the PCS placeholder card in an attempt to keep her lower in the team hierarchy. Anyway, scores are meaingless or mere gauges for massive manipulation when such fine performances are lowballed even more so at home.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm so happy to see the beautiful 3A from Higuchi. She remains my favorite of the current Japanese women and I hope she's able to get a bit of momentum back that she had in 2020 before Worlds was canceled.

As far as Miyahara- I guess it's nice that she is trying the Axel, but I wish she'd go back to the foundations with her other triples first.

I don't love Uno's Bolero. :slinkaway

Frau Muller

Watched most JO programs, plus Carnival on Ice, thanks to Epic Skating Live channel. I was quite impressed by Wakaba’s huuuuuge Ito-style 3-ax and the way that her Lion King program built. However, as a total skater (for elegance, line, musicality PLUS high tech, w/ 3-ax), I was most impressed by Rino Matsuike’s Moonlight Sonata LP! Wow, has she become quite the beauty in every sense! She almost beat Wakaba...about 2 points difference.

I totally agree that Uno’s Bolero LP is a real clunker. However his SP (to Bach...I think...or Vivaldi? Oboe tune),skated at today’s COI, is exquisite.

Rika, Yuzu & Yuma not at this event. We’ll have to wait a bit more to see their new programs in full.

Last edited:

Sonata

I had not been planning on watching JO, but I enjoyed watching the women so much. The skating skills and edge work were all top notch. It was like watching a competition from the 1990s with 2021 technical content. Wakaba's triple axel was so impressive and I love the way the music builds and doesn't have any jarring music cuts. I so look forward to following Matsuike's career, she is delightful to watch. The Moonlight Sonata is beautiful (omg those edges and jump landings) but I wish she had picked something that highlighted her spirited personality. She is so refreshing to watch.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Satoko tried a 3A! It was bound not to go great the first time out, I'm sure, but I love her for trying. Jackie thinks she might actually be able to pull it off one of these days, as the axel is one of her most "airy" jumps.

That attempt reminds me of the attempts Kristi Yamaguchi did for UpCloseandPersonal segment back in 1991. In other words, not even close, and Kristi had a gorgeous airy double axel.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Watched most JO programs, plus Carnival on Ice, thanks to Epic Skating Live channel. I was quite impressed by Wakaba’s huuuuuge Ito-style 3-ax and the way that her Lion King program built. However, as a total skater (for elegance, line, musicality PLUS high tech, w/ 3-ax), I was most impressed by Rino Matsuike’s Moonlight Sonata LP! Wow, has she become quite the beauty in every sense! She almost beat Wakaba...about 2 points difference.
Rino has beautiful long legs that Waka, Kaori don't have. All of the women were great in their own way. Is there any hope to make the Olympics if your name is not Rika, Kaori or Satoko?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Rino has beautiful long legs that Waka, Kaori don't have. All of the women were great in their own way. Is there any hope to make the Olympics if your name is not Rika, Kaori or Satoko?
If Satoko skates at Japanese Nats like she did at Worlds in March, then, yes, there is absolutely hope for many other Japanese women to make the Olympic team. And, frankly, neither Rika nor Kaori have the sort of Worlds record that guarantees them a spot on the Japanese Olympics team. I think the Japanese men's Olympics team is far more set than their women's team.

Frau Muller

If Satoko skates at Japanese Nats like she did at Worlds in March, then, yes, there is absolutely hope for many other Japanese women to make the Olympic team. And, frankly, neither Rika nor Kaori have the sort of Worlds record that guarantees them a spot on the Japanese Olympics team. I think the Japanese men's Olympics team is far more set than their women's team.
Let’s see what transpires in the Senior GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information