Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs.berlin

Mai Mihara, who won the 2017 Four Continents title, said in a 2018 interview that "the diet is the hardest part" of being a skater.

Rumors swirl around Mai Mihara's poor health

"Mai Mihara, who has withdrawn from every event she was scheduled to compete in this season due to illness, was recently seen in a Coming of Age Day greeting posted on the Instagram page of her sponsor Sysmex last week.
Her weight is apparently shockingly low."

kittyjake5

Sheesh I never thought that Mai could be suffering from anorexia I just assumed it was the illness she had suffered before. I did see that
photo of her in the Kimono I believe she was celebrating a Birthday, and she was very, very thin.

Tinami Amori

Re Mai Mihara: what was the "incurable disease/illness" that Mihara was "diagnosed with in 2015"?

「しっかり戻すので、待っていてください」と言う三原。2015年の終わりに病気が判明してから、この難病とつきあいながら世界のトップスケーターに成長してきた19歳には「希望」と「目標」がしっかりとある。まずは体力をつけて、戦えるコンディションを整えてリンクに戻ってきてほしい。そして、今季もまたトレードマークの「舞依スマイル」を見せてもらいたいものだ。

Nice foto - https://www.instagram.com/p/B7YjFDxpY8B/

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Re Mai Mihara: what was the "incurable disease/illness" that Mihara was "diagnosed with in 2015"?

「しっかり戻すので、待っていてください」と言う三原。2015年の終わりに病気が判明してから、この難病とつきあいながら世界のトップスケーターに成長してきた19歳には「希望」と「目標」がしっかりとある。まずは体力をつけて、戦えるコンディションを整えてリンクに戻ってきてほしい。そして、今季もまたトレードマークの「舞依スマイル」を見せてもらいたいものだ。

Nice foto - https://www.instagram.com/p/B7YjFDxpY8B/
Jeez she looks like an old lady, her face is so thin 😢
Poor Mai...

DreamSkates

Very sad to hear. Yet another female figure skater losing their health and potentially life itself. Hopefully she is getting treatment and support.

cs.berlin

At the Nebelhorntrophy 2018 I was able to experience her, she was so enchanting ... in retrospect everything was an illusion once again and nobody noticed (let alone wanted to believe) a year before her silent hint. Unfortunately, things are as one has long suspected. The price is too high.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Mai Mihara, who won the 2017 Four Continents title, said in a 2018 interview that "the diet is the hardest part" of being a skater.

"Mai Mihara, who has withdrawn from every event she was scheduled to compete in this season due to illness, was recently seen in a Coming of Age Day greeting posted on the Instagram page of her sponsor Sysmex last week.

Great mystery has surrounded Mihara’s health for months now, with her being unable to train, and with fans and media being left to assume that it might be related to her previous battle with juvenile arthritis.

Multiple Japanese skating sources have told Ice Time that is not the case, however, and that Mihara appears to be battling the eating disorder anorexia.

Whether this is true or not, anorexia is a disorder that if not controlled can be deadly.
:HA!: to Gallagher for publishing an article with a title 'Rumors swirl', which can potentially push Mai to a harder side of this tough time, based on anonymous sources who said "Mihara appears to be blah".

kittyjake5

:HA!: to Gallagher for publishing an article with a title 'Rumors swirl', which can potentially push Mai to a harder side of this tough time, based on anonymous sources who said "Mihara appears to be blah".
Oh no “scoopless jack” wrote the article. I did not realize he was the author of the article. His source material is not always true.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

This Gallagher's article has been removed.

[Story removed] Rumors swirl around Mai Mihara's poor health
BY JACK GALLAGHER

The Japan Times has removed this story, which lacked editorial oversight and disrespected the privacy and dignity of figure skater Mai Mihara. We are conducting a further review into this matter.

:rolleyes:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Re-posting my translation of an interview with Coach Nakano (at IdF) who clarified that what Mai was battling with was not anorexia.

This article has a bit more detailed info about Mai's current status from Coach Nakano.
(my rough translation)
Coach Nakano(at IdF): When I left home [for IdF], she was still hospitalized. I can't say anything for sure at this point. I'll talk with her after I'm back in Japan. I heard she changed her medicines, too. I don't have any info about how it's working right now, though. That said, my impression is things are going in the right direction. Her current status is her body doesn't absorb nutrients. It does NOT mean anorexia. Lots of people are worrying about her being "thinner", but I can tell you she eats good amount of foods.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
This Gallagher's article has been removed.

[Story removed] Rumors swirl around Mai Mihara's poor health
BY JACK GALLAGHER

The Japan Times has removed this story, which lacked editorial oversight and disrespected the privacy and dignity of figure skater Mai Mihara. We are conducting a further review into this matter.

:rolleyes:

That article was really the lowest of the lows. The fact that someone wrote it, proofread it and an editor signed off on it is truly astounding.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Hanyu’s current ISU bio suggests he is going back to his Chopin SP and Seimei LP for 4CCs? :watch:

I must say, if he wants to go back to old programs, I wish he’d bring back his 2017 programs (Prince and Hope & Legacy). I’d much rather see those again than Round 4 of Chopin and Round 3 of Seimei.

I'm glad to hear he is changing it up. I like your choices even more, but to me ANY of his previous programs are better than his current free program! :drama: I'm OK with Otonal but I like Chopin and Prince (the BEST!) even better.

DreamSkates

I'm glad to hear he is changing it up. I like your choices even more, but to me ANY of his previous programs are better than his current free program! :drama: I'm OK with Otonal but I like Chopin and Prince (the BEST!) even better.
Why is a GOAT needing to use old programs.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Why is a GOAT needing to use old programs.

What you quoted from me was in response to another poster, so seems a bit out of context. I didn't not say "A GOAT needs to use old programs" or even "Yuzuru needs to use old programs." I was simply responding to the news that Yuzuru apparently IS planning to return to old programs.

DreamSkates

What you quoted from me was in response to another poster, so seems a bit out of context. I didn't not say "A GOAT needs to use old programs" or even "Yuzuru needs to use old programs." I was simply responding to the news that Yuzuru apparently IS planning to return to old programs.
I didn't quote you at all, just making a comment wondering why someone so accomplished would reuse old programs.

LeafOnTheWind

He must really like Seimei or at least feel really comfortable skating to it. I love watching Yuzuru skate but I wish he had more programs to watch. He's much too talented to keep recycling.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is it a matter of Hanyu running out of creative ideas, or wanting to return to old glories? Perhaps he feels he doesn't have enough mental and physical energy to explore new music and program directions, while also trying to stay healthy and focus on upping and perfecting technical content? I think it would help him to explore new creative directions. It would be nice if an interviewer asks him about his tendency to reuse old programs.

DreamSkates

Is it a matter of Hanyu running out of creative ideas, or wanting to return to old glories? Perhaps he feels he doesn't have enough mental and physical energy to explore new music and program directions, while also trying to stay healthy and focus on upping and perfecting technical content? I think it would help him to explore new creative directions. It would be nice if an interviewer asks him about his tendency to reuse old programs.
This would have been a good year to take off and fully recuperate. He could still train just not compete. Then he still would have a year before the Olympics and the year of the Olympics to put new programs together.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Dunno this is a Japanese skating news or not, but Evan Lysacek is to appear at a skating lesson for Ishidoriya elementary school students in Japan on the 17th February. He is invited by the US government to promote friendships between the two countries, and the skating lesson is held as a part of a PR event for 2020 Tokyo Olys/Paras as well.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Tomono's 4Lo and Kagiyama's 4S from yesterday's official practice for 4CC. Sounds they just attempted those quads during the practice, and they don't intend to do them in competitive programs at 4CC, tho.

ETA:
Rika's 4S, Wakaba's 3A and Kaori's 4T attemps during the practice.

DreamSkates

This would have been a good year to take off and fully recuperate. He could still train just not compete. Then he still would have a year before the Olympics and the year of the Olympics to put new programs together.
Well I have to say, I was wrong about Hanyu. It appears he had a slow start to the season. After watching his sp, wow. A Stellar effort in every way. He did not seem "spent" at the end.
Yes it was a recycled program but a joy to watch it skated so artfully and to perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information