Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Adding the alternates (known at this time): https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1208753558306185216

Worlds:
Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi, Satoko Miyahara [alternates: Kaori Sakamoto, Yuhana Yokoi]
Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu, Keiji Tanaka [alternates: Kazuki Tomono, Sota Yamamoto]
Rika Miura/Ryuichi Kihara (pairs)
Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto (dance)
World team photo: https://twitter.com/sn_figure/status/1208755260929593344

4CC:
Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi, Kaori Sakamoto [alternates: Yuhana Yokoi, Marin Honda]
Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu, Yuma Kagiyama [alternates: Kazuki Tomono, Sota Yamamoto]
Miura/Kihara
Komatsubara/Koleto

Junior Worlds:
Men: Yuma Kagiyama (also has YOG), Shun Sato [alternates: Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda-needs to get his minimums, Mitsuki Sumoto]
Ladies: Tomoe Kawabata, Mana Kawabe (also has YOG) [alternate: Shiika Yoshioka]
Ice Dance: Utana Yoshida/Shingo Nishiyama (also has YOG) [alternate: Ayumi Takanami/Yoshimitsu Ikeda]

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
^^^ Do you know the criteria for this award? Why Shiika Yoshioka over surprise bronze medalist Tomoe Kawabata?

He doesn't really need a 4CC title. I'd rather see Kazuki Tomono get a chance to end his season on a higher/better note.
I dunno the criteria for this award but I guess it was the third Nats for Tomoe and she was not actually a 'new face'?

As for Hanyu going to 4CC, it was Hanyu who wanted to go. He said so during the press conference.

ETA:
Hanyu said he might compete with Nathan there. Also Shoma he lost to here will go to 4CC. He'll fight with them with his full force. One of his goals at 4CC is to step forward to getting 4A in his arsenal. He needs an overwhelming weapon. There is only 1 point difference between 4A and 4Lz. People may say it's a better choice to do two 4Lz as a strategy. However, axel is the one trick that has been the most important element for him. He wants to land 4A no matter what. He wishes to make 4CC the competition where he can grow up, including landing 4A.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I dunno the criteria for this award but I guess it was the third Nats for Tomoe and she was not actually a 'new face'?
:duh: of course!
As for Hanyu going to 4CC, it was Hanyu who wanted to go. He said so during the press conference.
Thanks for the info!

THANK YOU, Mr. Daisuke Takahashi!

Shoma Uno's winning FS:

olympic

So, Kaori will miss Worlds. After seeing that Matrix LP, I was just really getting into her . :( Any speculation as to why she had an underwhelming season?

Sylvia

TBD
Yuma Kagiyama's 2nd place FS (bronze medal):

Yuzuru Hanyu's 3rd place FS (silver medal):

Sylvia

TBD
Lovely farewell skate from Rin Nitaya, Japan Nationals FS. Good pacing throughout the program, mature and heartfelt.
Thanks for posting the link to her 5th place FS here!

@rosewood kindly translated this article about retiring skaters in the Kiss & Cry section and I've copied out the part about Nitaya below:
Here is a nice article of skaters who have already announced that they plan to retire after this season finished.
Rin Nitaya (photo)
She had showed underwhelming performances since last year. Things didn't go well until this past summer. The turning point was Chubu Regional. She moved into high gear within a short term. Now she's in a good enough shape to show a desirable swan song. At Western Sectional she said she was in a good condition mentally. "I couldn't leave good results throughout last season. There was a time when I feared competitions as well as skating was no more fun to me. While, since I decided to retire after this season finished, I'm not being frustrated at all. And I started to enjoy my training again. I finally convinced myself that training at my pace works well to be back to my former self. It made me feel relaxed. Now I feel great in a good shape."
She doesn't have any particular future plan yet. "Working as a coach is included in my choices. But for now I want to leave this sport and learn from experiences out of this sport. I'll think about my future plan after that."
Nitaya's ISU bio (she's 22 and 7th place this year is her highest Nationals finish): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013451.htm

Another translated excerpt by rosewood:
Hiroaki Sato (photo)
"I want to be well prepared to show my performances at Nats as a culmination of my career. I want to try two 4Ts and a 4S." He also says he, secretly in his mind, aims at a podium at Nats. To do so he assumes he needs two 4Ts and a 4S. Although he wants to participate in national sports festival, he doesn't have enough team mates in his prefecture. That, Nats is very likely the last competition in his career.
(note: He is one of the victims of 3.11 disaster. He left his hometown to study in a university. He did his best to continue skating for years. He's graduating his university next March and he said he plans to be a coach after the graduation.)
Sato's 6th place Nationals SP (he finished 9th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckxoD727Io
His ISU bio (competed twice at NHK Trophy & 1 Jr. Worlds): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013830.htm

clairecloutier

Are there protocols for the men's free skate or video of Hanyu? I am just curious which jumps he landed and didn't land.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
It makes sense why Kawabata wasn’t assigned worlds, the scores in the ladies category were too close to really give her the benefit of the doubt when most of the Japanese top ladies have had an inconsistent season. In the men’s though,skipping over Kagiyama who has shown potential, over Tanaka who has been around since Hanyu has and never been top 10 at worlds is kind of strange to me.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I think Miyahara was lucky to make the team, I know she is popular and has good skating skills but her jumps seem really weak, IIRC some even felt she was fortunate to be placed 3rd last year. I hope she skates well at Worlds though and helps them keep 3 spots, and then I will shut up :lol:

Colonel Green

It makes sense why Kawabata wasn’t assigned worlds, the scores in the ladies category were too close to really give her the benefit of the doubt when most of the Japanese top ladies have had an inconsistent season.
I would say that the scores were close in part because Tomoe was undermarked, but in general I would agree that it’s understandable not to send her to Worlds. Tomoe has yet to have a good international event.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Kawabata doesn't have minimums in Sr field.

So happy she did great at Nats. I love this big jumper as well as her SP is one of my fav programs this season. Wish she'll do well in Jr Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Criteria for selection to Worlds/4CC/Junior Worlds is linked in post #2: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...9-20-season-news-updates.105719/#post-5599273

ETA:

All Japan Medalist on Ice (post-Nationals gala) TV broadcast info:
Scheduled to be broadcast on Fuji TV nationwide (excluding some areas)
 Fuji Television: December 23, 24: 25 to 25: 25
 BS Fuji: December 29, 19:00 to 20: 55
Photos:

Last edited:

Marco

Is it me or is Japanese ladies as a whole a bit of a disappointment so far this season, Rika aside? Satoko is getting a lot of UR calls and Kaori is popping all over the place. Mai is injured and Wakaba is still inconsistent. And let's not even get into Marin. All the 2018 hopefuls are kinda becoming extremely underwhelming.

Here's hoping for a return to form for these wonderful ladies.

OK Nationals turned out exactly how I imagined it would, except Wakaba skating strongly was a pleasant surprise.

I don't know how close or consistent Rika's 4sal was in practice, but if Alena Kostornaia could hold off the quadsters with just 3axels, perhaps Rika should work harder on the second mark and on regaining her lutz than on the 4sal. I absolutely adore her programs too.

Happy for Wakaba - is she fully healthy now?

I am 'happy' that Satoko salvaged a 4th and a return to Worlds because those programs were wonderful, but the jumps are worrisome. More so than ever.

Kaori needs to work on her game. She always unravels after making one mistake. I feel "Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence" can be a wonderful vehicle for her.

Don't know what else to say about Marin.

I am also extremely glad about Shoma's 'comeback' - hopefully this will give him the confidence to fight through the rest of the season.

Yuma is skating nicely and is extremely promising, but bummer about Sota and Kazuki.

Tinami Amori

I would have a hard time choosing the 2nd and 3rd place for the world team. Kaori, Wakaba, Satoko... all had ups and downs in GP, Challengers and Nationals. Satoko did better than the other two at Challenger, GP events, and Nationals, en sum. Kaori did better at Challenger and GP events than Wakaba. But then Wakaba was 2nd at Nationals. This situation is hard to decide as far who can potentially place highest if skating their best. imo - Satoko is the weakest. But if using season's placements, the allocation for WC and 4CC is fair.

denise3lz

from Ayaka Hosoda Instagram
at KANKU Ice Arena opening ceremony and exhibition (Dec 25)

"Daisuke Takahashi cooks curry (2008)"
13 yo Ayaka appeared in video

all_empty

OK Nationals turned out exactly how I imagined it would, except Wakaba skating strongly was a pleasant surprise.

I don't know how close or consistent Rika's 4sal was in practice, but if Alena Kostornaia could hold off the quadsters with just 3axels, perhaps Rika should work harder on the second mark and on regaining her lutz than on the 4sal. I absolutely adore her programs too.

Happy for Wakaba - is she fully healthy now?

I am 'happy' that Satoko salvaged a 4th and a return to Worlds because those programs were wonderful, but the jumps are worrisome. More so than ever.

Kaori needs to work on her game. She always unravels after making one mistake. I feel "Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence" can be a wonderful vehicle for her.

Don't know what else to say about Marin.

I am also extremely glad about Shoma's 'comeback' - hopefully this will give him the confidence to fight through the rest of the season.

Yuma is skating nicely and is extremely promising, but bummer about Sota and Kazuki.

I think Wakaba will bring it at Worlds.

I'm sure she is motivated to go back (don't forget, silver in 2018). I'd love to see her bring back 3Lz+3Lo, but consistency is more important and if she can do a clean SP and FS I have no doubt she will be in the top 6.

Rika can push her TES up even more with the Lutz, but also some smart combo-ing.

3Lz
3A+2T
3F
3A
2A+1Lo+3S
3F+3T
3Lo

That's all the same jumps Kostornaia is doing (although Kostornaia backloads even more), without changing her jump layout too much (she essentially did this at the GPF; just switch out the first jump with a 3Lz).

Satoko's jumps look ... not great. And she cannot afford doubling. But she deservedly gets high PCS and the spins and steps are some of the best.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It does not seem from the reports of her injury on this forum that Rika bringing back the Lutz is very likely right now.

ETA: autocorrect is not your friend

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information