Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
New season thread ahead of the initial Grand Prix assignments being announced tomorrow!

Many thanks to @rosewood for the latest updates posted in the previous thread!

JSF has updated their Team Japan list for the 2019-20 season (original list was dated April 25) as of June 19, 2019: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2019/2019FS190619.pdf

'Special'
Men: Shoma Uno [S1], Daisuke Takahashi [S2], Keiji Tanaka [S3], Yuzuru Hanyu [W2]
Ladies: Kaori Sakamoto [S1], Rika Kihira [S2], Satoko Miyahara [S3], Mai Mihara [S4], Wakaba Higuchi [S5]

'A'
Men: Kazuki Tomono [S4], Koshiro Shimada [S5/J3], Yuma Kagiyama [S6/J5], Tatsuya Tsuboi [S7/J1], Yuto Kishina [S8/J4], Shun Sato [S12/J2]
Ladies: Mako Yamashita [S6], Yuhana Yokoi [S7/J1], Ayaka Hosoda [S8], Yuna Shiraiwa [S9], Nana Araki [S13/J2], Tomoe Kawabata [S10/J3]

'B'
Men: Sota Yamamoto [S9], Taichiro Yamakuma [S10], Shu Nakamura [S11], Sena Miyake [S17/J6], Mitsuki Sumoto [J7], Kao Miura [J8]
Ladies: Akari Matsubara [S11], Rinka Watanabe [S18/J4], Yuna Aoki [S14/J5], Wakana Naganawa [S12/J6], Moa Iwano [J7], Rino Matsuike [J8], (these 3 added following 6/15 JGP test skate ->) Rion Sumiyoshi [J9], Mana Kawabe, Azusa Tanaka [N7]

'Pairs A'
Riku Miura / Shoya Ichihashi

'Ice Dance A'
Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto

'Synchronized B'
Jingu Ice Messengers
*I didn't know Kawabe [ladies' B] well. Heard she landed 3A during this off-season's Colorado camp. Here is a video of her skating: Mana Kawabe 190205
Azusa Tanaka Free Skating at Inter-Junior High, Feb 5 2019
She is a prospect from Mie Hamada team.
JSF announced today that this year's Japan Nationals will be held in Tokyo, at the Yoyogi National Stadium. The dates are December 19-22.
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/06/19/kiji/20190619s00079000227000c.html
This article says this year's Japan Nationals will be held at Yoyogi National Stadium No.1 Gymnasium in Tokyo on December 19-22 (as ostile17 posted above). It also says Mana Kawabe, Rion Sumiyoshi and Azusa Tanaka were selected to be sent to JGP as well as were added to 'B athletes' on team Japan.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190619-00000067-dal-spo
Jr Nats, Nov 15-17, Shinyokohama Skate Center, Kanagawa
East Japan Sectionals, Oct 24-27, Kazakoshi Park Ice Arena, Nagano
West Japan Sectionals, Nov 1-4, Shiga Prefectural Ice Arena, Shiga

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

2019-2020 selection criteria for international competitions

2020 Worlds (Men/Ladies; 3 spots, Pairs/Ice dance; 1 spot)
(1) Singles (Men/Ladies)
1. Nationals winner
2. The 2nd skater will be selected from skaters who meet either of the criteria below.
a) Nationals 2nd & 3rd
b) GPF top 2 finishers among Japanese skaters
c) Top 3 among Japanese skaters on ISU's WS when Nats finished
3. The 3rd skater will be selected from skaters who meet either of the criteria below.
a) Skaters who meet 2.a)-c) but not selected
b) Top 3 among Japanese skaters on ISU's season's WR when Nats finished
c) Top 3 among Japanese skaters on ISU's SB when Nats finished
*Skaters are required to participate in Nats which is the final selection meeting for Worlds. (This requirement does not apply to substitutes.) That said, if the skater placed the 3rd or higher at Worlds in the past, and if the reason is unavoidable such as injuries, there will be a case that the skater can be selected in a comprehensive way by taking it into considerations that the skater's results prior to the injury, for example, are good enough to meet the criteria above. The perspectives of how the skater's condition at Worlds can be taken into the considerations.
(2) Pairs/Ice dance
Skaters will be selected from teams who meet either of the criteria below.
a) Nationals winner
b) Top 3 among Japanese teams on ISU's WS when Nats finished
c) Top 3 among Japanese skaters on ISU's season's WR when Nats finished
d) Top 3 among Japanese skaters on ISU's SB when Nats finished
*Skaters are required to participate in Nats which is the final selection meeting for Worlds.

2020 4CC (Men/Ladies/Pairs/Ice dance; 3 spots)
(1) Singles (Men/Ladies)
When Nats finished, skaters will be selected from skaters who meet either of the criteria below.
a) Nats top 10 finishers
b) Top 6 among Japanese teams on ISU's WS when Nats finished
c) Top 6 among Japanese skaters on ISU's season's WR when Nats finished
d) Top 6 among Japanese skaters on ISU's SB when Nats finished
*Skaters are required to participate in Nats which is the final selection meeting for 4CC. (This requirement does not apply to substitutes.) That said, if the skater placed the 3rd or higher at Worlds in the past, and if the reason is unavoidable such as injuries, there will be a case that the skater can be selected in a comprehensive way by taking it into considerations that the skater's results prior to the injury, for example, are good enough to meet the criteria above. The perspectives of how the skater's condition at Worlds can be taken into the considerations.
(2) Pairs/Ice dance
Judging based on the international competitive ability, skaters will be selected from teams who have the minimum scores that the fed's figure skating committee requires. (Skaters need to receive the scores in competitions that the figure skating committee specifies.)
*Skaters are required to participate in Nats which is the final selection meeting for 4CC.

2020 Junior Worlds (Men/Ladies; 2 spots, Pairs/Ice dance; 1 spot)
*The final decision is to be done in selection meeting at Nationals.
(1) Singles (Men/Ladies)
1. Jr Nationals winner
2. The second skater will be selected from Jr age eligible skaters who meet either of the criteria below as well as who is willing to participate in Jr Worlds.
a) 2nd & 3rd at Jr Nats
b) Skaters who skated at Jr GPF
c) Top 3 eligible skaters who skated at Nats
d) Top 3 among Japanese eligible skaters on ISU's season's WR when Nats fininshed
e) Top 3 among Japanese eligible skaters on ISU's SB when Nats finished
*Skaters are required to participate in Nats which is the final selection meeting for Jr Worlds. (This requirement does not apply to substitutes.) That said, if the skater placed the 3rd or higher at Jr Worlds in the past, and if the reason is unavoidable such as injuries, there will be a case that the skater can be selected in a comprehensive way by taking it into considerations that the skater's results prior to the injury, for example, are good enough to meet the criteria above. The perspectives of how the skater's condition at Jr Worlds can be taken into the considerations.
*To be in the pool for Jr Worlds, skaters are required to have done the required jump elements for Jr SP and have proven that the skaters have enough ability to skate in Jr field at any of Jr competition in the current season.
(2) Pairs/Ice dance
Judging based on the international competitive ability, skaters will be selected from teams who have the minimum scores that the fed's figure skating committee requires. (Skaters need to receive the scores in competitions that the figure skating committee specifies.)
*Skaters are required to participate in Jr Nats which is the final selection meeting for Jr Worlds.

2019 JGP
Men/Ladies/Pairs/Ice dance
Skaters will be selected based on the abilities to do required elements, performances, and international competitive abilities in the selection meeting to be held in June.

(rosewood's note: So complicated and long! There are some more criteria but I'm done here. Any corrections are welcome.)

Sylvia

TBD
This post is reserved for Japan's Grand Prix skater initial assignments.

ETA initial GP assignments as of June 20, 2019:

MEN (11 spots):
Yuzuru Hanyu (Skate Canada & NHK/Japan)
Shoma Uno (France & Russia)
Keiji Tanaka (Skate Canada & China)
Kazuki Tomono (Skate America & Russia)
Koshiro Shimada (Skate America) *debut
Sota Yamamoto (NHK)
NHK Trophy 3rd spot TBD

LADIES (17 spots):
Rika Kihira (Skate Canada & NHK)
Kaori Sakamoto (Skate America & France)
Satoko Miyahara (China & Russia)
Mai Mihara (Skate Canada & China)
Wakaba Higuchi (Skate America & France)
Yuna Shiraiwa (France & China)
Mako Yamashita (Skate America & NHK)
Yuhana Yokoi (Russia) *debut
Marin Honda (China)
NHK Trophy 3rd spot TBD

Ice Dance: Komatsubara/Koleto (China & NHK)
Pairs TBD for NHK Trophy

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
No Marin Honda ?
Link to the relevant discussion in the previous thread (ETA better link to posts beginning on April 25): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.103938/page-11#post-5578682

Link to read @rosewood's "rough translation" of an article about Daisuke Takahashi's current thoughts about the upcoming season: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.103938/page-13#post-5598598

Shoma Uno announced on June 3rd that he had decided to switch from his longtime coaches in Japan and he currently is attending Eteri Tutberidze's summer camp in Novogorsk - link to his GSD thread with news/photos/etc.: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ing-camp-–-tarasova-averbuch-comments.105691/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
New short programs skated in exhibition at "Fantasy on Ice" in Kobe:

Satoko Miyahara's Egyptian Disco themed SP (choreo. by Beoit Richaud): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfrV08z67fE
Link to read about Satoko's new programs in her blog, posted in the previous thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.103938/page-12#post-5590246

Rika Kihira's "Breakfast in Baghdad" SP (choreo. by Shae-Lynn Bourne): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA1KVvn3nKo

Marin Honda with younger sisters Miyu (left) and Sara backstage at the Prince Ice World show in Sapporo: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzCTBvDAaT8/

(Copying over from the previous thread) Marin debuted her La La Land FS (choreo. by Lori Nichol) in exhibition at Prince Ice World in Yokohama back in May: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHNfIqnZn0

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Copying my post from the Dreams on Ice thread. DOI will be (live) aired on June 30th.
New programs for competitions:

Nana Araki, new SP, Destino from The Princess Man, OST, (source)
Shun Sato, new SP, Arrivée des Camionneurs, (source)
Tomoe Kawabata, new SP, The Blue Danube, (source)
___
from other articles: *sources are linked as (photo)
Yuhana Yokoi, new SP, Kuroi Junin no Onna (=Ten Dark Women), OST (photo)
Kazuki Tomono, new FS, Moulin Rouge, (photo)
Kaori Sakamoto, new SP, No Roots, (photo), choreo by Bourne

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Rika Kinira announced her new FS. The Japanese article below says it's 'International Angel of Peace'.

She said she plans to do 4S as an opening jump as well as to do two 3As in her new FS. She wishes to be consistent from her first competition of 2019-2020 season.

ETA:
SBS 4S from Rika and Vince from TSL's IG.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Kaori Sakamoto skated her new SP to No Roots (choreographed by Bourne) in Dreams on Ice show today. This article below has three photos from DOI.

The article says Kaori plans to do a 3A in her new FS.
Kaori: "I didn't attempt any 3A in the past although I used to say I'll do. This year I won't be afraid of making mistakes on 3A challenges."

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
This article says Kihira uses an original music named 'International Angel of Peace' which gathers various religious musics for her new FS. The theme of the program is world peace. After skating in DOI she said "The theme is difficult. Every different thought comes to my mind when I skate every different scene in the program."
__

What's going on with Hamada's students this year? Kihira uses various religious musics for world peace. Miyahara uses Schindler's List, Bells of Moscow and Israeli anthem. They must be willing to get a job at UN after retirement. :saint: Now I need to know what music Shiraiwa chooses. ;)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Kana Muramoto was added to cast of Hyoen a while back, as well as she worked as an assistant instructor in Takahashi's skating lesson for kids today. I wonder if she's retiring?

ETA:
A vid of today's skating lesson.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
According to this, Kana wants to go into pairs?
Kana Muramoto was a singles skater through the 2013/14 season: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010982.htm

Her most recent IG post was on June 21: https://www.instagram.com/p/By9vLaqFVPQ/
Update - Finally I get to share some great news!🙋🏻‍♀️
I’ve been traveling all around, enjoying life and challenging/learning new things!
I have an amazing opportunity to participate in the ice show coming end of July in Japan called “HYOEN”.
This is an ice show based on The Tale of Genji, produced by Amon Miyamoto, with amazing casts!
My plan this season unfortunately is still undecided, but my focus right now will be for this show.
I am truly thankful for this special opportunity and very excited to be back on the ice!
Thankyou everyone for your endless support✨
Link to the Hyoen 2019 thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ng-daisuke-takahashi-stéphane-lambiel.105364/

ETA: Scroll down to rosewood's post #19 below.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Japanese girls' hospitality for foreign skaters and their competitors is amazing!
Kaori Sakomoto makes earrings for the Russian girls with her own hands.
for Sasha
2 fotos on IG - https://vk.com/eteritutberidze?z=photo-97272391_456286472/wall-97272391_168119
for Alina

and so much grace in general, putting guests in the centre and giving them so much attention, even if they surpassed their own skaters in the last competition. .. Japan is amazing!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
When I checked Kinoshita Group's official site to confirm that Zhou was added to their team, skaters I confirmed on their site were only Zhou, Miyahara and Shimada. I was so sad since they used to be a rare company who had supported pairs skaters and ice dancers (unpopular fields in Japan). Today I can confirm Ryuichi Kihara is back on their site :cheer: and yes Kana Muramoto is also back on their site. :)

Kana's comment on her profile page:
(my rough translation)
Thank you very much for supporting me. I'm doing my best with my rehab and training so that I can get back on the ice as a pairs skater as soon as possible. I'll work hard to show good performances on the international stage. Thanks for your supports in advance.
:eek:

I cannot see any sign of Kana & Ryuichi as a team on their profiles. Probably their situations are still up in the air at this point.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
:rofl:

Yes, I noticed the similarity between Kihara's message and Muramoto's. Probably the person inside of the team copied and pasted some parts from Kihara's message.

At first, Kihara's message included a line which said he'll do his best with Suzaki (his former partner). Now the line is deleted as well as Muramoto's line which she said she'll try her best as a pairs skater is deleted too.

Hey, the person who runs the web site! Now you should add 'pairs skater' to follow 'figure skater' on Kihara's profile, as well as 'ice dancer' on Muramoto's, since all of the singles skaters' profiles have 'singles' following 'figure skating'.
ヴィンセント・ジョウ選手 Vincent Zhou
フィギュアスケート シングル

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma and Mirai were invited to Japan Open. Lambiel was invited to JO as a guest skater as well.

So happy to see Mirai was invited! 🎉 :cheer:

ETA:
Skaters announced so far
Japan: Uno, Miyahara, Kihira
North America: Nagasu
Europe: Fernandez
Guest: Lambiel

All of them were invited to Carnival on Ice (gala) too.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Kana Muramoto's profile message was updated on Kinishita's website.
(my rough translation)
Thank you always for supporting me. I had to sit out of competitions last season but there were lots of things I learned during the period. I believe I can get back on the ice as soon as possible and I want to move forward every day from now on. Thank you for supporting me in advance.
_

(I wonder if the person inside of Kinoshita's web-site made a mistake and copied/pasted Miu Suzaki's profile message in stead of Kana's at first.)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Nathan and Vincent were invited to Japan Open as a member of North America as well as to Carnival on Ice (gala show).

How many events does Nathan participate in events in Japan this spring-early fall?

kittyjake5

Nathan and Vincent were invited to Japan Open as a member of North America as well as to Carnival on Ice (gala show).

How many events does Nathan participate in events in Japan this spring-early fall?

Quite a few. Nathan being World Champion and a popular skater will get
lots of invitations as well as Vincent. It seems that Japan has adopted
them both. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information