Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Sylvia

Anticipating the JGP!
JGP assignments to date:

Men (6 spots in 7 events)
Yuma KAGIYAMA (Courchevel)
Shun SATO (Lake Placid will be his JGP debut)
Kao MIURA (Riga, JGP debut)
(No man in Chelyabinsk)

Ladies (14 spots total)
Nana ARAKI (#1 Courchevel & #4 Chelyabinsk)
Tomoe KAWABATA (Courchevel)
Mana KAWABE (Lake Placid, JGP debut)
Azusa TANAKA (Lake Placid, JGP debut)
Rino MATSUIKE (Riga, JGP debut)
Rion SUMIYOSHI (Riga)
Yuna AOKI (Chelyabinsk)

Ice Dance
Utana YOSHIDA / Shingo NISHIYAMA (Lake Placid, JGP debut)

Listed subs so far:
Ladies: Moa IWANO, Chisato URAMATSU
Men: Sena MIYAKE, Tatsuya TSUBOI
Dance: Ayumi TAKANAMI / Yoshimitsu IKEDA

Marco

Side story: Yuzuru Hanyu's Chinese name 羽生結弦 is subject to a few trademark registrations in the PRC, one of which is a leather goods company. Fans have raised this to Yuzuru's representation / sponsor All Nippon Airways which responded that they were aware and had been successfully striking down those applications.

rosewood

unwell-known member
Last edited:

rosewood

unwell-known member
Jack Gallaghar's interview with Rafa.

His assistant (translator) posted a time table. Thanks.
coach philosophy 5:09
Hanyu is Unbeatable? 11:05
Mischel Kwan 12:43
Marin Honda 19:10
Eun soo Lim leave 31:10
Nathan and Pooh 44:45
Nathan and School 48:50
Gogolev 51:05
Rafael's future 58:48
Memory of Mao and Japan 1:01:0

Last edited:

Jeschke

#teamtrainwreck
So the summary of Honda's situation according to Raf:
  • hard for JPN skaters living abroad
  • he had a 2yrs plan for her
  • he says something, she does something else; not sure if on purpose or because she does not understand
  • seems he thinks she is lacking the hunger (as far as I understood)
  • it's problematic now, as he has no clue in which shape she is coming back and how long he will need to get her in shape.
  • communication is not that great (seems not much contact right now as she is away)
  • Taichi (brother) is scheduled to come back in september (but focuses on college)

Firedancer

His assistant (translator) posted a time table. Thanks.
Thank you! Raf is a little hard to understand for a lot of it. But this was a really great interview.

Colonel Green

Raf mentions that his program is basically full right now, but that he has a list of people in his head that he'd love to work with and he'd make room for those people regardless -- I guess we'll learn if Shoma is on that list.

rosewood

unwell-known member
Raf mentions that his program is basically full right now, but that he has a list of people in his head that he'd love to work with and he'd make room for those people regardless -- I guess we'll learn if Shoma is on that list.
That's my thought, too. But on another hand, I got an impression Rafa loves Gogo so much that he can't afford to add Shoma on his student list. What do you think?

Rafa said in the end of his interview that he always wish Mao to come to his rink and show her skating to his students. Mao's very much busy these days but I wish she'll do so in the future. Visiting his rink and seeing how Rafa is working as a coach must be useful for her if she wants to be a coach after she quit skating in shows.

feraina

Rafael said he’d love to have a young girl who has the potential to learn 3A and quads. I’d love to see Alysa Liu go to him and learn them properly. Sometimes undoing bad technique is harder than starting from scratch. Unfortunately Alysa has a single dad and four younger siblings. I just can’t see how they could all move to Irvine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)