ISU World Standings Have Been Updated

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I know some of you are just trying to be witty, but there are no surprises ever with these. The criteria has been the same for a long while. The skaters know they need to maximize their events or they may not be 1st or 2nd or 3rd even as World Champions/medalists. They aren't bothered by it.

This year is unique without Worlds there yes, but the world itself is in a unique situation.

BTW- Italy and Spain are saying no travel till the end of the year. Italy may even push it to March 31, 2021. If Switzerland does this and/or other nations start to close everything until the beginning of 2021 minimum, we aren't going to have to worry about these rankings any time soon.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
BTW- Italy and Spain are saying no travel till the end of the year. Italy may even push it to March 31, 2021. If Switzerland does this and/or other nations start to close everything until the beginning of 2021 minimum, we aren't going to have to worry about these rankings any time soon.
A number of opera singers had already decamped from Italy and Spain, the former not only for health reasons, but also to have more mobility, and not just for work, before there was none.

TallyT

It's what it has always been, a functioning practical tool, for ISU allocation purposes in the next season, and for better or worse, a part of the historical record.

No more, no less.

Marco

I know some of you are just trying to be witty, but there are no surprises ever with these. The criteria has been the same for a long while. The skaters know they need to maximize their events or they may not be 1st or 2nd or 3rd even as World Champions/medalists. They aren't bothered by it.

Exactly. I don't find this silly. Criteria and points allocation have been the same for years. The system is supposed to reward skaters who consistently compete well. So those who compete at fall internationals and don't skip 4CCs are going to have an edge since there are no Worlds this season. It's not silly, but it's also not very meaningful, esp this season. Then again, if WS means anything (i.e. if seeding means anything like in tennis, or if it seriously affects skating order or PCS, or if it guarantees a spot at Worlds), I am sure the skaters would be more enthusiastic in taking parts in these competitions instead of purely pacing for Worlds.

Bellanca

It still feels like the World standings were based on using the 52-card pickup method. 😲

Eta: I get where they’re coming from and what other posters are saying, but (with all due respect) kinda chuckling here. :lol: :slinkaway

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^^ Speaking of people who never stop competing... I feel like all of Team Italy goes from one comp to the next comp to the next comp to the next comp without even sleeping... Tornaghi and Lucrezia seemed to just go nonstop from comp to comp.

Sometimes they were even registered (or placeholders) for 2 comps the same weekend in different countries! lol

PairSkater12345

Did the Estonian judge who got into trouble for showing up drunk at a JGP create those lists?
That's the only explanation I have.
Hey tigger......You put the rules together......apply them each year and calculate what you get.....simple....wether you like it or not...

Tahuu

The 2019-2020 season-end world standings should be invalidated. It’s illegitimate due to the special case of no world championships this season. Season-end world standings have always been determined after the world championships since its implementation in 2001. It is the one competition that offers the most world standing points in a season.

starrynight

It’s a bit like when there was the terror attack in Paris and they cancelled the free skates at TEB. They just counted the short program placements - which was rough for the skaters who had a bad SP.

tony

The results are meaningless when there's significant changes in the conditions and the assumptions that the calculation is based on. Like, say, Worlds being cancelled.

They aren't meaningless. There are 1.9 seasons worth of data factored into the placements, and nobody received points for an event that didn't happen. Anyone can say it put some skaters at a disadvantage- but how exactly do we know which skaters would've benefited at Worlds? We can predict all we want, but you never know what is going to happen on any given day. It didn't hurt anyone, and it didn't help anyone.

As I said earlier, these standings don't do much in the overall picture of the season so I don't know why anyone is that upset about this. It aides in invites to Grand Prix events, yes. But they have a seasons best list to work from, where many skaters had several opportunities to improve their scores, and they have plenty of data factored into the World Standings to use next season, as well, if there is a next season. It's not as if some random skater in senior B events in somehow in the top 10. :rolleyes:

tony

Just out of interest and to see how oh so much the results potentially could've changed, I took the seasons best scores and gave the ladies' skaters those points in order for Worlds:

1. 1200 Kostornaia
  2. 1080 Trusova
  3. 972 Shcherbakova
  4. 875 Kihira
  5. 787 You
  6. 709 Tennell
  7. 638 Bell
  8. 574 Miyahara
  9. 517 Higuchi
  10. 465 Yelim Kim
  11. 418 Kurakova
  12. 377 Paganini
  13. 339 Ryabova
  14. 305 Schott
  15. 275 Peltonen
  16. 247 Kiibus
  17. 222 Urushadze
  18. 200 Tornaghi
  19. 180 Feigin
  20. 162 Pineault
  21. 146 Busback
  22. 131 Meite
  23. 118 Craine
  24. 106 Leung
Overall Standings would then be:
1. Kihira 4433
2. Kosornaia 3960
3. Trusova 3504
4. Shcherbakova 3498
5. Tennell 3395
6. Miyahara 3267
7. You 2948
[8. Sakamoto 2769]
[9. Zagitova 2666]
10. Bell 2658
[11. Lim 2537]
[12. Samodurova 2414]
[13. Tuktamysheva 2372]
[14. Medvedeva 2192]
15. Higuchi 2191
16. Yelim Kim 2149
17. Ryabova 2073
18. Paganini 1860

The exact same 18 skaters still make up the top 18 in this scenario. My point: I don't think any skater is stressing nearly as much as some of you about not moving from 6th to 2nd on a World Standings list that has absolutely no end of season reward.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It’s a bit like when there was the terror attack in Paris and they cancelled the free skates at TEB. They just counted the short program placements - which was rough for the skaters who had a bad SP.

I wonder what the crossover is between people who thought that was fair and people who think this is right? slightly bitter muttering

I think this should indicate maybe the ISU should re-think the way it's calculated. Because I mean, there's no doubt Chen's been the most consistently successful skater over the last two seasons, and somehow he's not at the top of either list. Missing two 4CCs shouldn't have that much of an impact.

Or maybe we should call Interpol. ;)

tony

I wonder what the crossover is between people who thought that was fair and people who think this is right? slightly bitter muttering

Yes, because voiding the results altogether and telling all of those skaters that they can't make the Final sounded much fairer... not. The ISU even extended a hand with the wildcard spot that year. They did the best they could under unprecedented circumstances.

I think this should indicate maybe the ISU should re-think the way it's calculated. Because I mean, there's no doubt Chen's been the most consistently successful skater over the last two seasons, and somehow he's not at the top of either list. Missing two 4CCs shouldn't have that much of an impact.

Not being at 4CC in 2019 has nothing to do with it. You've had many years to figure this out with any shocks or surprises. He lost points this year by not going to 4CC and not having Worlds fill that spot, yes. But look at Aliev just above him. He didn't go to Europeans or Worlds in 2019 so he was in the same position- but he competed in the minor Senior B's and that gave him enough points alone to overtake Nathan. I am 100% sure Nathan couldn't care less about this and he knew he wasn't even close to maxing out his score regardless of whether Worlds happened.

PairSkater12345

The results are meaningless when there's significant changes in the conditions and the assumptions that the calculation is based on. Like, say, Worlds being cancelled.

The assumptions are bast on the fairest measurement the ISU has. Worlds get canceled.....you can't change the process.
You can't add your fav to the formula. Your preference doesn't matter. What matters is the consistency in measuring the standings. As Al Davis said "Just Win BABY".

Dobre

As a whole group, the dance top 24 aren't surprising. (Turkkila & Versluis are sunk because they missed the whole season + Worlds, but their WS were going to sink regardless. Their hope would have been to bring in a high SB score). The top dancers all went to 4CCs/Europeans so they are all high enough to be ranked among their peers on WS. The teams that took time during the post-Olympic season (P&C and C&B) are lower than they would be if they had competed that year's GP, of course, but plenty high enough that if this coming season were a normal one they would have plenty of time to raise their WS before any events deep enough that they might miss out on a final qualifying group. F-B&S missed 4CCs, but they would have missed Worlds too.

Last edited:

Bellanca

I am 100% sure Nathan couldn't care less about this and he knew he wasn't even close to maxing out his score regardless of whether Worlds happened.
I think that about sums it up for the entire process and the general attitude of most skaters. Tbh.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
@Tony Wheeler : did you calculate only incremental between your projected Worlds points and what they earned at Euros/4C's?

Given that Worlds cancellation was unprecedented, anyone who didn't go to 4C's or Euros -- or wasn't assigned by their Fed, who were spreading the wealth -- but was assigned to Worlds could anticipate earning WS points at Worlds. (Everyone who makes the FS/FD earns WS points.)

tony

@Tony Wheeler : did you calculate only incremental between your projected Worlds points and what they earned at Euros/4C's?

Sure did.

Given that Worlds cancellation was unprecedented, anyone who didn't go to 4C's or Euros -- or wasn't assigned by their Fed, who were spreading the wealth -- but was assigned to Worlds could anticipate earning WS points at Worlds. (Everyone who makes the FS/FD earns WS points.)

And as I’ve tried to demonstrate, it wasn’t likely to shift the standings all that much. I think it’s silly to think any skater had this on their mind at all. Once you get down past the top 10, skaters aren’t really adding much to their totals, if at all, because of the other points they’ve already accumulated likely from 4CC/Euros in the 2020 and 2019 seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information