ISU Skating Awards To Debut At 2020 Worlds

starrynight

Yes, and the thing about costumes is that some skaters change or upgrade costumes in the second half of the season. Particularly after there has been feedback from the first couple of big competitions. The current showings on the grand prix circuit may well change or improve.

Some of the nominees (Russian ladies) won’t be at Worlds :( what if they win?

Maybe they will engineer the results behind the scenes so that doesn't happen? Or maybe they will accept by a video link presentation?

love skating

Clueless American
Oh my, there are some real questionable nominees for costumes - lol! Thankfully they have my favorite on there (Chock's FD dress). But they also have many of my least favorites! Oh well, I'm sure Hanyu will sweep the categories (minus newcomer)! Speaking of newcomer - they have so many nominees in the other categories and then newcomer is so short. I'm sure there were more newcomers they could have at least thrown a nomination to.

Tahuu

The Russians are dominated in the nominations:

Russia 44
Japan 18
USA 18
Canada 14
China 8
France 5
Italy 5
Korea 3
Spain 3
GB 2
Latvia 2
Australia 1
Germany 1
Malaysia 1
Israel 1
N Korea 1
Switzerland 1

C

casken

Most Valuable Skater
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
Ice Dance
Russian Federation

Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
Ice Dance
France

Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
Ice Dance
United States of America

Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
Ice Dance
Canada

Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV
Ice Dance
Russian Federation

No Hubbell/Donahue. :watch:

Tinami Amori

Thank you @floridaice for reminding me to not take this clusterfcuk seriously.
The whole thing is so absurd, and so badly thought out, and the nominees in all categories are seriously :confused:

except I must admit to wanting to vote for Chock's snake dress.
I second to that! This is WRONG on so many levels! Competitive Figure Skating is NOT a show-business.

This brings wrong "elements" into a competitive sport. I hope it ends with the first event. Bad move, bad strategy, one more area for fan-wars, arguments, negativing and much more, in a sport that is already subjective. Shame on Ari for inventing this for his own financial and strategic reasons.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Remember ye ole Lifetime Press Conferences (and the post mortem threads) from the 90s? This has that kind of potential. I am whole-heartedly in favor of this over dreary pop song exhibitions with two 3 toes and a double salchow (fall on the axel) that most skaters do.
This will restore the snark to its former glory during the off-season.

Definitely! Here's hoping the awards ceremony is a soapy hot mess. :love: And if some of these WTF nominations are any indication, we won't be disappointed.

My votes, as if anyone cares:

Newcomer: Kostornaia
Most valuable skater: Nathan Chen
Best costume: Popova/Mozgov RD
Most entertaining program: Sakamoto LP

mjb52

Entertaining is sort of a weird word for a program like Kostornaia's short. It's beautiful and mesmerizing but entertaining is an adjective I associate more with jazz hands broadway it's SHOWTIME type stuff or like the Vogue/Abba crowd-pleasers (I obviously hate entertaining programs lol). I also don't really understand the concept of MVP in a non-team sport. I do feel tempted to vote for Popova/Mozgov in anything I can though b/c yolo.

eta: I see, MVP is most valuable to the sport in terms of getting people into it.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I went with:
MVP: Hanyu
Entertaining: Fear/Gibson
Costume: Fear/Gibson (because P/C’s Fame outfits weren’t nominated) :blah:
Same first two for me. Then:
Entertaining: Keegan Messing
Costume: Scherbakova

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Australia 1

What category's that in?

Looks like the costume section is broken. And the "entertaining program" category is a bit weird. I mean, yes, nominate Jason for all the awards because his skating is so stunningly gorgeous but, uh, I'm not sure it's great to have a Schindler's List program nominated as "entertaining".

aftershocks

Banned Member
Definitely! Here's hoping the awards ceremony is a soapy hot mess. :love: And if some of these WTF nominations are any indication, we won't be disappointed.

My votes, as if anyone cares:

Most valuable skater: Nathan Chen
Best costume: Popova/Mozgov RD
Most entertaining program: Sakamoto LP

I pretty much go along with your choices, except I would choose Calalang/Johnson for best costumes, although there's a lot to be said for P/M's get-ups. :D

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
The nominees in the 4 categories are already posted on this thread but who are the nominees in the rest 3 categories which only media can vote? I mean best choreographer, best coach and lifetime achievement award. :watch:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't see any links to voting, if there are any.

This awards extravaganza will most certainly be a hot mess. And it definitely doesn't appear to be organized very well, but then we are talking about the ISU. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
I don't see any links to voting, if there are any.
Registration is required before anyone can vote: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...but-at-2020-worlds.106260/page-5#post-5697284

ETA:
The nominees in the 4 categories are already posted on this thread but who are the nominees in the rest 3 categories which only media can vote? I mean best choreographer, best coach and lifetime achievement award. :watch:
Can you help us out, @reut? :D

Last edited:

reut

A zillion nominees so the whole thing is watered out. Imagine at the awards ceremony: “And the nominees are....” .......... 15 minutes later, host is still rambling on. Everyone:zzzzzz

AND Shulepov’s offensive outfit nominated? What are the ISU thinking? I’m outta this thing!:mad:

They said that judges will choose I think three in every nomination in the end. It was mentioned during the presser, I'm too lazy to check.

reut

Lifetime achievement is defined by judges only as far as I remember.

Two others:

Choreographer:
Daniil GLEIKHENGAUZ
Lori NICHOL
Marie-France DUBREUIL
Shae-Lynn BOURNE
Tom DICKSON

Coach:
Brian ORSER
Eteri TUTBERIDZE
Marie-France DUBREUIL & Patrice LAUZON
Rafael ARUTYUNYAN
Tamara MOSKVINA

Japanfan

WRT lifetime achievement, Shae-lynn and D/L are relatively young and have not yet accrued a lifetime of experience.

How about Mishin and Tarasova, in addition to Moskvina. I'd like Doug Leigh to get a nod as well. He hasn't been around for awhile in terms of sitting with skaters in the KnC - not that I've seen, in any case - but he did contribute a lot to the sport and create a school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information