ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Also, just pointing out that Rule 400, Paragraph 4 says:

The remaining open entries available will be filled by ISU Members in order of their placements at a Senior International Competition designated by the ISU and conducted in the autumn of the calendar year immediately preceding the Olympic Winter Games. The open entries are available only to:

To me, it sounds just like standard procedure of naming the event where the rest of the entries will be filled out. NOT the entire field.

Colonel Green

Yes, but then you have 2 skaters potentially earning spots for 3, which is something they did away with going into this Olympics.
Yes, but these obviously aren’t ordinary times. They’re going to have to make changes, and I think this format is the better option.

Sylvia

TBD
No draw will be held for FS/FD at Stockholm Worlds, just the reverse order of SP/RD results
Procedure of obtaining Worlds MTS will be changed to be more flexible
Numbers of coaches and team officials at Worlds are reduced
Re. the 2nd point above, the full paragraph reads:

4. Procedure to obtain the Minimum Total Elements Scores for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021
Considering the limited number of International Figure Skating Competitions during the ongoing season 2020/21 and consequently limited opportunities to achieve the Minimum Total Element Scores, the ISU Council exceptionally agreed to adjust the procedure for obtaining the Minimum Total Elements Scores for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 by making it more flexible.
An ISU Communication including the relevant details will be published in due course.

(Good news for the newly formed teams this season.)

Last edited:

tony

Yes, but these obviously aren’t ordinary times. They’re going to have to make changes, and I think this format is the better option.
You'd rather all skaters have a do-or-die moment at Nebelhorn for every single country? If the world is back to semi-normal by September 2021, I'd imagine most skaters would want to get out and compete as many times as possible. The ISU should be able to come up with a system of qualifying that is better than packing skaters into one event, but JMO.

Colonel Green

You'd rather all skaters have a do-or-die moment at Nebelhorn for every single country? If the world is back to semi-normal by September 2021, I'd imagine most skaters would want to get out and compete as many times as possible. The ISU should be able to come up with a system of qualifying that is better than packing skaters into one event, but JMO.
I’m working from the premise of Nebelhorn as the qualifier.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I see these potential gray areas:
a) What will be the primary method of qualification if Worlds is cancelled?

b) What will happen to countries whose entries are affected by crud? If it's just a matter of one skater and they can't travel to Worlds due to quarantine or illness, they just go to Nebelhorn. But what happens if one of the larger countries have issues, like out of 3 skaters, 2 skaters are asymptomatic and test positive. They aren't allowed to compete, and the remaining skater places 3rd and only qualifies 2 spots (or 11th, qualifying just 1). Will there be a chance to increase that to 3 skaters at Nebelhorn? In theory, this could happen with regular injuries (see Russian ladies at 2016 Junior Worlds where Sotskova managed to finish 2nd and qualify 3 spots) but it may happen in multiple cases at Worlds. Will they really let China or Russia end up with 1 pairs spot or Japan with 1 men's spot?

c) If countries don't send any skaters to Worlds due to crud (as Canada has implied they may do), will they be limited to only 1 possible qualifier at Nebelhorn? What if it's for a reason out of the control of the skating federation, like their government has banned travel to Sweden specifically?

IMO, it's beyond time to move towards a season's best or world ranking system anyway. The current system never really made sense.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
a) What will be the primary method of qualification if Worlds is cancelled?
I guess that will be decided once we know for definite if Worlds is going ahead or not.
b) What will happen to countries whose entries are affected by crud?
Them’s the breaks. It would be unfair to treat it any differently to a skater who suffered any other illness.
c) If countries don't send any skaters to Worlds due to crud (as Canada has implied they may do), will they be limited to only 1 possible qualifier at Nebelhorn?
Yes.

starrynight

Them’s the breaks. It would be unfair to treat it any differently to a skater who suffered any other illness.
It is a little different as with other illnesses and injuries, skaters can try to fight through and the choice to withdraw is theirs.

Whereas with rona it’s a mandatory forced expulsion from the event . So it’s not the independent choice of the athlete.

tony

But the situation RE: Canada seems to be that they don't want to get stuck somewhere else. I'm sure if there was a way to guarantee 'elite' athletes entry/exit from one country to another, Skate Canada would be gung-ho about Worlds, too. Look at the sectionals happening now and the Challenge coming up. And I know the inevitable is going to happen: a Canadian poster will come try to explain how they take CV more seriously than other countries and that's why they think the athletes shouldn't travel, etc. but the number of cases has been climbing since September, so that's not the case.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
But the situation RE: Canada seems to be that they don't want to get stuck somewhere else. I'm sure if there was a way to guarantee 'elite' athletes entry/exit from one country to another, Skate Canada would be gung-ho about Worlds, too. Look at the sectionals happening now and the Challenge coming up. And I know the inevitable is going to happen: a Canadian poster will come try to explain how they take CV more seriously than other countries and that's why they think the athletes shouldn't travel, etc. but the number of cases has been climbing since September, so that's not the case.

As a Canadian, we’re just more polite and do try a little harder. But we’re far from perfect. I would like to see Skate Canada let more skaters go, but ultimately it’s up to the skaters

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
It is a little different as with other illnesses and injuries, skaters can try to fight through and the choice to withdraw is theirs.

Whereas with rona it’s a mandatory forced expulsion from the event . So it’s not the independent choice of the athlete.
Individual choice should not override the right of other people not to be infected with a contagious virus.

Again them’s the breaks.

Vagabond

I think that you-know-what may prompt the ISU to re-evaluate allowing skaters with other contagious diseases to compete.

jmtfti

To what extent would this be enforced, though? How will competition officials test whether or not a skater has a cold, isn't running a fever but maybe is sneezing a bit more than usual, and determine if they should or shouldn't compete? Certainly illnesses spread in hotels and shared dining facilities more than on the actual field of competition -- including the stomach ailments that tend to result in skaters withdrawing anyway -- and if someone comes down with something once there, it would again be a question of how much do organizers want to quarantine adults with non-lethal ailments?

tony

To what extent would this be enforced, though? How will competition officials test whether or not a skater has a cold, isn't running a fever but maybe is sneezing a bit more than usual, and determine if they should or shouldn't compete? Certainly illnesses spread in hotels and shared dining facilities more than on the actual field of competition -- including the stomach ailments that tend to result in skaters withdrawing anyway -- and if someone comes down with something once there, it would again be a question of how much do organizers want to quarantine adults with non-lethal ailments?
Yeah, my thoughts too. Who is to say that a skater isn't very sick prior to a competition and decides to go, comes down with 'food poisoning', and skates through it? Or they get sick and just don't say anything?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well this plague is not just sick....it is killing people all over. And every day there is a different theory about how it spreads.
You can have it and not know it....but you can spread it.

Nasal swabs can tell you if you have it today but doesn't say a thing about tomorrow.

And all those people had to get there on trains, boats or planes unless you drive. Very little control on exposure.

IMO.....there is too much risk and not enough value to have the event.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I know this is because of health concerns but given the number of abuse cases that have shown up in skating I have a lot of issues with this. They should at least allow 1 parent for underage skaters.

Under SafeSport, underage skaters who must travel overnight must have a parent there. That doesn't mean the parent needs to be at the rink. I believe there can be a chaperone there instead.

Orm Irian

Under SafeSport, underage skaters who must travel overnight must have a parent there. That doesn't mean the parent needs to be at the rink. I believe there can be a chaperone there instead.
SafeSport only applies to US skaters though. What about skaters from other countries?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
A reality check for those who think Worlds in Sweden will go ahead:

World Rally Championship announces cancellation of Rally Sweden

Rally Sweden was originally scheduled for Feburary 11-14 2021. It has been cancelled due to health concerns (aka the rona).

For those unfamiliar with rallying, it is about the most socially distant form of motorsport you can get. Rallies don't take place on enclosed tracks (though sometimes they run super special stages on them). They take place out in the forest. Road closures can be spread kilometres apart. Officials are kilometres apart. Officials, crews, competitors generally do not fall into that vulnerable age group.

To sum up: this is an outdoor event, spread out, with its normal way of running being incredibly rona-friendly.

And it has been cancelled from its February date.

Worlds is an indoor event, with a large number of vulnerable-age-group judges/officials/coaches in attendance, scheduled to be held just over a month later.

MsZem

I see the sea
A reality check for those who think Worlds in Sweden will go ahead:

World Rally Championship announces cancellation of Rally Sweden

Rally Sweden was originally scheduled for Feburary 11-14 2021. It has been cancelled due to health concerns (aka the rona).

To sum up: this is an outdoor event, spread out, with its normal way of running being incredibly rona-friendly.

And it has been cancelled from its February date.

Worlds is an indoor event, with a large number of vulnerable-age-group judges/officials/coaches in attendance, scheduled to be held just over a month later.
I should have "there are literally sporting events going on right now" as auto-text.

That said, not everyone is choosing to compete at the moment, and the same could be true in the spring. I hope things in Sweden will improve sooner than that, because they are in really bad shape.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

They're planning to hold the Australian Open. https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/55199746
All that hard work Victorians did to get through lockdown and eliminate community spread, being put at risk for a bit of racquet-swinging. It was bad enough that they kept on with the AFL season despite multiple failures of their supposedly great containment methods, but at least that was only Australian athletes. Bringing international athletes in (who will be jumping the hotel quarantine queue when stranded Australians could use those places, by the way) is just asking for trouble.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

All that hard work Victorians did to get through lockdown and eliminate community spread, being put at risk for a bit of racquet-swinging. It was bad enough that they kept on with the AFL season despite multiple failures of their supposedly great containment methods, but at least that was only Australian athletes. Bringing international athletes in (who will be jumping the hotel quarantine queue when stranded Australians could use those places, by the way) is just asking for trouble.

NSW is experiencing a cluster f*** at the moment. One of the sources was a driver shuttling around flight crew.

Whomever is monitoring and organising international transfers, is making a mighty mess of everyone's hard work to contain the Big V.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
They're planning to hold the Australian Open. https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/55199746
Yes. An outdoor sport. In Australia. In summer. In a country where the 'rona is relatively well-controlled and has a strict quarantine system and other sporting events are taking place.

That's a mighty different prospect from an indoor sport, in winter, in a country where the plague is not well-controlled and other sporting events are being cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information