ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2018/19 season

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Don’t think me pointing out that you’ve been spelling someone’s name incorrectly is me having my way. It’s more like you being wrong and not taking it very well. :saint:

It must feel great to be perfect, and I'm happy for you.

But since you are a staff member, is it really that cool to belittle your customers?

Last edited:

DobrinFan

Carolla5501

I can be very hard to travel on such short notice for competitors - not just travel arrangements, readiness, but potential visas for skaters and coaches and possibly federation officials.

I think the 14 days make sense.

And honestly Russia is one of the hardest visas. Even with 14 days you will need official help. So unless the skater already has a Visa I can't see a short notice invite working!

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Well, we have Mariah Carey in the competition so why not Shakira...
We had MariaNNNNNNN Bell...

And honestly Russia is one of the hardest visas. Even with 14 days you will need official help. So unless the skater already has a Visa I can't see a short notice invite working!
Not only that, but last time I needed a visa to Russia it was not a multiple entry one. Am not sure how does it work for the athletes, but there is a chance they have to apply for each entry separately.

Carolla5501

That took a Presidential directive in response to a crisis. And that's just one host, one time.

And they still had a month, not 7 days! (yes I checked.. ISU awarded to Russia on 3/21, event started on 4/24) So unless Putin himself cares if skater X tries to defeat his skaters (highly unlikely LOL!) then you average skater probably isn't getting a visa in a few days without a LOT of luck.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

And they still had a month, not 7 days! (yes I checked.. ISU awarded to Russia on 3/21, event started on 4/24) So unless Putin himself cares if skater X tries to defeat his skaters (highly unlikely LOL!) then you average skater probably isn't getting a visa in a few days without a LOT of luck.

What it shows me is that it is doable.

Anyway, since Schott has withdrawn, we're down to ten in the ladies' event now.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.

APMcD had some problem IIRC. She was on the path to making GPF and then poof, she couldn't enter the country. There were some conspiracy theories over that. And didn't JWeir have some issue, but I'm hazy and I think he just spent the entire week there in a hotel, hiding from the KGB or whatever nonsensical drama he likely created himself, lol.

toddlj

I was under the impression that she'd have to compete the SP at least in order to get the bye. So she could just bomb the SP and w/d, and we'll see her at USN.
Seems like it might make more sense in that scenario to just go to Sectionals. Based on current scores, she'd just need to get something close to 150 to qualify, and I think she'd probably do that with only a few triples. That way she'd get full practice run-throughs and wouldn't have to do all the time-consuming travel.

ETA: (But I suppose she would have had to compete already at Regionals in that scenario. Anyway, all of this speculation is a bit silly. We'll know soon enough.)

Last edited:

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member
I think it's a bit shitty that audiences go to the expense of often buying tickets, hotel accommodation, and airfares, only to be handed this lack of consideration. Not to mention the skaters who are potentially losing out when athletes withdraw.

It's a good thing Kailani Crane got invited to NHK when someone dropped out. Otherwise, who would finnish last?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You seriously think the president should get involved every time a figure skater needs a visa for an event on short notice?

If you have attended an international competition in Russia, you'll understand that sport is political propaganda. It's a very big deal.

Anyway, Putin seems to have a soft spot for infants. How else would you explain his relationship with Trump.

gkelly

Seems like it might make more sense in that scenario to just go to Regionals. ...

ETA: (But I suppose she would have had to compete at Sectionals in that scenario. Anyway, all of this speculation is a bit silly. We'll know soon enough.)

Other way around. Regionals are the first round of qualifications and have already happened. Sectionals are the second round and are taking place this week.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It must feel great to be perfect, and I'm happy for you.

But since you are a staff member, is it really that cool to belittle your customers?

Why are you being such a dick about this? It's common bloody courtesy to spell someone's name correctly. To continue to spell it incorrectly after being corrected, or to make a big song and dance about being corrected, is just being asshole.

And didn't JWeir have some issue, but I'm hazy and I think he just spent the entire week there in a hotel, hiding from the KGB or whatever nonsensical drama he likely created himself, lol.

No, the USFS weren't happy with Weir's costume and told him so. Weir, instead of behaving like an adult and trying to negotiate with the USFS, decided the best way to handle it was to fake being sick and withdraw last minute.

What is with all the people in this thread who are so desperate to see Gracie fail that they're acting like she's definitely going to withdraw or that it's all a scheme to get her to Nationals? What is wrong with you?

mag

What is with all the people in this thread who are so desperate to see Gracie fail that they're acting like she's definitely going to withdraw or that it's all a scheme to get her to Nationals? What is wrong with you?

This. Gracie has been through a lot and has decided she is not finished with Skating. Good for her. She got her spot fair and square. I hope she goes out and skates the best can for the day.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Was it his "Icicle on Cocaine" costume or the "Care Bear on Acid" one?
I think he WD from Cup of Russia in the 02-03 season. IIRC his costumes were fairly tame at 03 Nats. Not sure what the controversy was?

Cirque de Soleil. According to page 50-54 of his book (I suppose keeping that trash heap around has some uses occasionally), he described it as a "sexy circus freak", "black velvet pants...into a turquoise lycra top layered with black fishnet...a turquoise string snaked up my sides and around my waist, ending in a rip at one of the shoulders". Sounds like a ****ing disaster. Oh, and he had white blond and fire engine red dyed patches in his hair, which even he admits looked awful. Supposedly, the USFS judges had a freakout when they saw it in practice because he "looks like a Russian!" and his "hair is disrespectful" and ordered him to change the costume. And his solution?:

I was in a jam: if I wore my costume, it would be a big fcuk you to my country. But I didn't wear it, I wasn't being true to myself. So I did what any self-respecting artist would do - I lied. I pretended I was sick and withdrew from the competition...Each time a doctor tried to get into my hotel room to check me out, I feigned sleep.

His justification was that he wasn't sixteen and wouldn't let them push him around. You know what else you can do when you're not sixteen anymore, Weir? You can communicate like a fcuking adult.

D

Deleted member 53443

Honestly, I didn't know Weir was such a badass (I am too new to the sport). Love it, I'm going to order the book now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information