ISU Communication No. 2388: Entries/Participation 2022 Olympics in Singles, Pairs & Ice Dance

Sylvia

TBD
The official document is published! And it's no April Fool's Day joke! :D

The entries for the Beijing 2022 were assigned according to the result of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 and the designated Qualifying Event Nebelhorn Trophy which will take place on September 22-25, 2021 in Oberstdorf (GER). The full list of entries is available in ISU Communication 2388. Link (7 page PDF):
Qualified directly from 2021 Worlds:
* = Chance for additional entry/quota place at OWG Qualification (Nebelhorn Trophy)

MEN (23)
USA 2 + 1*
JPN 3
RUS 2 + 1*
CAN 1 + 1*
FRA 1 + 1*
KOR 1 + 1*
ITA 2
CHN 1
GEO 1
SUI 1
EST 1
BLR 1
LAT 1
CZE 1
MEX 1
UKR 1
SWE 1
ISR 1

LADIES (24)
RUS 3
USA 2 + 1*
BEL 1 + 1*
JPN 3
AUT 1 + 1*
KOR 2
AZE 1
CAN 1
EST 1
SWE 1
NED 1
BUL 1
GER 1
GEO 1
CHN 1
CZE 1
GBR 1
FIN 1

PAIRS (16)
RUS 3
CHN 2 + 1*
CAN 2
USA 2
ITA 2
JPN 1 + 1*
AUT 1
GER 1
HUN 1
CZE 1

ICE DANCE (19)
RUS 3
USA 3
CAN 3
ITA 1 + 1*
GBR 1 + 1*
ESP 1
POL 1
CHN 1
LTU 1
FRA 1
GER 1
JPN 1
UKR 1

Remaining spots available to be filled by countries at 2021 Nebelhorn Trophy (including those going for a 2nd or 3rd spot):
Men: 7
Ladies: 6
Pairs: 3
Ice Dance: 4

Athletes quota (figure skating) at OWG 2022:
Men Single Skating 30
Women Single Skating 30
Pair Skating 19 (38 athletes)
Ice Dance 23 (46 athletes)

ETA:

From the OWG Qualification Timeline on page 7 of the document (dated 4 December 2019): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...tion-systems-3/22994-figure-skating-v1-0/file

Confirm 1 September 2021 NOCs qualified through the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 to confirm use of allocated quota places to ISU (for example, if JPN decides not to use their 2nd pairs spot because they have no 2nd pair to send to Nebelhorn).

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
This is finally over (the waiting)

I am a fan of figure skating and trust me, I thought I was not going to see a mexican skater in my life going to the Olympics given the non existent funding and conditions so hard for any skater who tries to go and try a way at the highest level of skating.

What Donovan and Gregorio have made possible is just incredible, now I know mexican government it's starting to give some funding and money and will most likely give him even more but is NOW that he has the spot, but what about the process??? I know this is all left behind and better late than never.

Donovan did his job and got an historic achievement for my country's sport in a not popular discipline. I hope this helps and boost figure skating's presence and popularity in Mexico and I will keep doing my job to help with that even if it's sharing videos, news and anything related.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I really hope Sweden will actually use the spots it qualified.

It’s great that Brezinova will finally get to join her brother on the Czech team.

The Netherlands makes the cut in the ladies’ event for the first time since 1976!

There’s a strong chance that in ice dance we end up with no countries having two spots.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
It’s great that Brezinova will finally get to join her brother on the Czech team.
That’s not a given. She qualified a spot for the Czech Republic and not herself. The Czech Figure Skating federation could nominate someone else for the spot.

skatfan

This is finally over (the waiting)

I am a fan of figure skating and trust me, I thought I was not going to see a mexican skater in my life going to the Olympics given the non existent funding and conditions so hard for any skater who tries to go and try a way at the highest level of skating.

What Donovan and Gregorio have made possible is just incredible, now I know mexican government it's starting to give some funding and money and will most likely give him even more but it's NOW that he has the spot, but what about the process??? I know this is all left behind and better late than never.

Donovan did his job and got an historic achievement for my country's sport in a not popular discipline. I hope this helps and boost figure skating's presence and popularity in Mexico and I will keep doing my job to help with that even if it's sharing videos, news and anything related.
His improvements in the last couple of years is truly fun to watch! I know he’s the first but the not the last to qualify for the Olympics in figure skating!

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
His improvements in the last couple of years is truly fun to watch! I know he’s the first but the not the last to qualify for the Olympics in figure skating!

He is not the first, Ricardo Olavarrieta went to the 1988 and 1992 Olympics but Donova is the first to do under the qualification process. Albertville 92 was the last time two mexican skaters took part, Mayda Navarro did it in the ladies competition.

But I don't know how they managed to qualify to those editions, my guess is that the IOC gave them invitations

fan

Can someone help me understand the rationale not to fill pairs/dance warmup groups? Was anything communicated?
ie pairs - gps of 4 warm up. Why not make it 20 qualifiers, so 5 * 4, instead of 19?
dance - gps of 5 warm up, so 25 instead of 23?
Surely 6 additional athletes is not cost prohibitive...

Colonel Green

Can someone help me understand the rationale not to fill pairs/dance warmup groups? Was anything communicated?
ie pairs - gps of 4 warm up. Why not make it 20 qualifiers, so 5 * 4, instead of 19?
dance - gps of 5 warm up, so 25 instead of 23?
Surely 6 additional athletes is not cost prohibitive...
It was 20 previously in pairs (for some reason it’s been 24 in ice dance for a long time), but the IOC only gives each discipline a certain number of entries, and those got reduced slightly as part of the move to control the size of the Games. The ISU needed to save a few places for people brought in to fill out the team event — for instance, the Czech Republic may need to bring an ice dance team for the team event since they only qualified in three disciplines.

fan

So it’s cost. What a shame. For a multi-billion $ event, saving at the cost of athletes’ participation goes against the whole purpose of the games. Reduce officials or something. I think the o’s are corrupt (esp. after working as a sponsor), but won’t beat a dead horse.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
So glad these teams and skaters got confirmation that they qualified Olympic spots! I can't begin to imagine the excitement they must feel!

So, do we think USA, RUS, and CAN men have a lock on 3/7 of the Nebelhorn spots? What are the chances for KOR and FRA?

USA most likely has a lock on one of the Nebelhorn spots for ladies, same for CHN for pairs. The competition at Nebelhorn is going to be so high level next season!

Edit: 7 Men’s spots up for grabs at Nebelhorn.

Last edited:

skatfan

He is not the first, Ricardo Olavarrieta went to the 1988 and 1992 Olympics but Donova is the first to do under the qualification process. Albertville 92 was the last time two mexican skaters took part, Mayda Navarro did it in the ladies competition.

But I don't know how they managed to qualify to those editions, my guess is that the IOC gave them invitations
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the system was so different then.

Erin

Banned Member
Here is a Team Canada article about the spots that Canada earned:

Kudos to former synchronized skater Tara MacBournie for a clearly written article about the spots that have been earned already, how they were earned, and what needs to be done to earn another men’s spot and why.

Last edited:

mjb52

So glad these teams and skaters got confirmation that they qualified Olympic spots! I can't begin to imagine the excitement they must feel!

So, do we think USA, RUS, and CAN men have a lock on 3/6 of the Nebelhorn spots? What are the chances for KOR and FRA?

I try not to take anything for granted with the Russian men... :). They should have a pretty good shot though.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Conventional wisdom says that the US, Canadian, and Russian men should finish in the top 7, as should Fa if that is who France sends, but the men being the men... who knows? They might all be distracted if some of the smaller nations' guys set up a gaming tournament during the event. ;)

TygerLily

Or the Americans. :gallopin1
Your post made me laugh out loud and my kid said, "What's funny Mommy? Can I see?"

And I said, "It's just writing, so it's not going to look funny."

But she looked anyway and asked, "Why it is funny?"

Oh no. "So there's this thing called the Olympics where sports people go and, um, play sports every four years, so once for as many years old you are and..." I obviously could never be a preschool teacher.

And then she broke out into what I can only describe as "Jack Nicholson Joker Laugh" so maybe she'll be an actor?

Thanks for humouring me, kid.

3T3T

I’m delighted for Donovan Carrillo. I really enjoy his skating and on-ice personality. It’s a great reward for all his hard work and commitment. Well done Mexico.

For the men I’m glad to see spots qualified for Switzerland, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine, Sweden. I enjoyed all those skaters at worlds, hopefully those guys will make it to Beijing.

I’m disappointed for the Pairs, there will be a lot going for those 3 spots. China should get their spot but I don’t expect Japan to have a second team so 2 spots going spare. After Wolrds I really hope the Georgians and Belarusian’s make it. I wouldn’t object to Zoe Jones getting a ticket but it seems unlikely.

Hopefully Galustyan and Safonova make it in the Ladies.

I found the whole process very confusing, glad there is finally clarity. Roll on Beijing with an arena full of cheering fans.

Erin

Banned Member
Since there is so much talk about the men and Nebelhorn...

With about 500 caveats about consistency and the potential uselessness of this stat, if you look at the PB list of the men, take out all the countries who have qualified and take out the men who can't go to Nebelhorn for their country (e.g. Chen, Brown, Kolyada, Messing, etc.), the top PBs are all US, Canadian, and Russian men. I count three Americans, three Canadians, and nine Russians before I even get to the first man who is from another country (Litvintsev from Azerbaijan). And there are more from each of US, Canada and especially Russia before you get down to the 7th place country.

Now since Zhou has the third best PB in the world and still didn't make the free skate at Worlds, that does show that this can be a meaningless stat. But my one takeaway is that those three countries have enough depth that they should be really disappointed if whoever they send to Nebelhorn doesn't deliver a spot.

If anyone is curious where the countries land generally with their top skater by PB for the men:
1. USA (Zhou)
2. Russia (Aliev)
3. Canada (Nguyen)
4. Azerbaijan (Litvintsev)
5. Germany (Fentz)
6. France (Ponsart - is he still skating? If not, France and Australia swap spots as Siao Him Fa is behind Kerry but ahead of Lee)
7. Australia (Kerry)
8. Korea (Lee)
9. Austria (Zandron)
10. Turkey (Demirboga)
11. Malaysia (Yee)
12. Armenia (Hayrapetyan)

I stopped after that, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
It was 20 previously in pairs (for some reason it’s been 24 in ice dance for a long time), but the IOC only gives each discipline a certain number of entries, and those got reduced slightly as part of the move to control the size of the Games. The ISU needed to save a few places for people brought in to fill out the team event — for instance, the Czech Republic may need to bring an ice dance team for the team event since they only qualified in three disciplines.
You mean the Czech team would participate the actual ice dance event? They will not - last Olympics Israel brought a lady for the team event who did not get a spot in the personal event, hence she only came to skate the SP in the team event and that was it for her Olympics. Assume it will be the same this time
I would assume they leave the spot for... dunno, North Korea who will wake up like 2 days before the Olympics?

So are people going to apologize to Tony and admit he was correct now? :D
I'm going to thank Tony for the very clear explanations during the worlds. I was among the confused and he helped me a lot understanding the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information