ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

Yuri

Exactly, perhaps adopt a variation of the World Standings to allocate slots for the countries based upon the international results of all of the skaters.

And I do agree that a tennis ranking style wouldn't work too well, there just aren't enough head to head matchups. Now in golf the strength of the field is considered, so a US Open or a Masters counts more than the John Deere Championship where most top golfers will take a week off. But golf still manages to balance the US, European, and Asian tours over a 24 month period. Top skaters could have up to a dozen competitions in a rolling 24 month period (two GP events plus finals, Europeans or 4 CCs, Worlds, and maybe even their own Nationals) to provide some stability. Even the Olympics can count every 4 years.

And non-Grand Prix skaters sometimes have 3-5 Internationals per year, with a few of them qualifying for Euros/4 CCs and Worlds. Now skaters may need an adjustment period to adapt their schedules for a ranking system, whether for individuals or countries, but such a system may be a fairer measure of the depth in each discipline per country.

Last edited:

Bellanca

You have no idea what anyone on this website is doing to help end homelessness. But the fact that you are sure it isn't anything but talk says a lot about you. As does the fact that you seem to think only California has a homeless problem.
And frankly, neither do you. You've also incorrectly assumed that you know anything about me - you don't. I'll chalk it up to projection. I guess I got your G.O.A.T. :giggle:

When I see some real, meaningful action at the state's local level in San Francisco, I'll let you know, but as of last week, when we were there, in that area - nothing.

Sorry for the thread-drift.

Judy

And frankly, neither do you. You've also incorrectly assumed that you know anything about me - you don't. I'll chalk it up to projection. I guess I got your G.O.A.T. :giggle:

When I see some real, meaningful action at the state's local level in San Francisco, I'll let you know, but as of last week, when we were there, in that area - nothing.

Sorry for the thread-drift.

Homelessness is everywhere .. every country and every city. Sorry I am quoting your post but my intent is just making a statement in general.

zebraswan

The homeless are not the ones taking cruises, flying internationally, going to packed concerts, bars and clubs and mobbing supermarkets. They have virtually nothing to do with the way the virus has spread so far and they will be the least likely to receive any kind of medical attention if they do catch it. Gosh, I wonder why this particular "whataboutism" would have been brought up by the usual suspects...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
The homeless are not the ones taking cruises, flying internationally, going to packed concerts, bars and clubs and mobbing supermarkets. They have virtually nothing to do with the way the virus has spread so far and they will be the least likely to receive any kind of medical attention if they do catch it. Gosh, I wonder why this particular "whataboutism" would have been brought up by the usual suspects...
You are joking. Please tell me you are joking.

Japanfan

You are joking. Please tell me you are joking.

@AxelAnnie :confused:

Could you please explain what you think @zebraswan is joking about?

What she said is factually correct. And homeless communities should be receiving the help they need right now as they are a vulnerable population.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
What she said is factually correct. And homeless communities should be receiving the help they need right now as they are a vulnerable population.
And even if someone doesn't have the compassion to care about them as people, you'd think they'd at least be afraid of how not helping groups of people living in their towns is only going to make more people sick.

Japanfan

Plus even if skaters are doing shows and not competing, they still need access to rinks to stay in shape and practice their programs for the shows.

Well extreme situations call for extreme measures. If rinks or other athletic training facilities are closed, athletes will need to find ways to stay in shape at home.

Let's just hope that things don't reach a catastrophic level such that all rinks close, but I fear it is going to happen.

VGThuy

That's ridiculous and you know it, but nice try. ;)

Exactly, which would also include eliminating the pile of hypocrisy crap thrown at them.

So instead of just verbally taking up their cause - be proactive and do something about it. Help them to regain and rediscover their dignity and self-worth as human beings by being part of the solution not the problem. Human kindness doesn't just sit back an allow their citizens to wallow in despair. They do something about it. If they are serious, they shelve the hypocrisy and the flowery soundbites about love and compassion. Instead, they do something about it! They do not continue to make excuses in an attempt to placate their critics or the homeless. Action first. Seeing is believing.

I need to ask, what are your solutions to the problem regarding the homeless you specifically mentioned - that they are using the city as a “public toilet”. Are you advocating for all businesses and residences in the area to open their doors to let people use the restroom?

kwanatic

Why is the homelessness discussion in this thread? It is a good topic, but perhaps for a different thread.

This is what happens when worlds is cancelled. The off-season tangents start waaaaay too early. ;)

Yuri

Why is the homelessness discussion in this thread? It is a good topic, but perhaps for a different thread.

Excellent question, probably the biggest thread drift I've ever had on one that I started on FSU!

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how ice dancing and pairs skating work with social distancing! Perhaps the ISU will need to loosen up the permitted separations rule? Perhaps the free dance can permit a single separation, a minimum of two arm lengths apart, no less than 240 seconds?

Whether or not rinks remain open or not, I don't understand how any serious training can occur in these two disciplines unless the partners are married...maybe we can go back to the old days and everyone can get married like the Russians.

Even if the two partners are considered as semi-family for social distancing concerns, how about coaches and choreographers? There's usually lots of hands-on training whether in couples or singles, especially when designing footwork sequences (everyone) or lifts (couples).

Many coaches and choreographers are employed at more than one rink, and there's a lot of traveling, including flying, going on in the elite training world when skaters may fly to temporarily train with certain coaches and/or they would fly in a choreographer to design a program. It seems like that process could be shut down for a couple months, maybe more, precisely at the time of year when everyone is in program design (including for shows) phase.

Perhaps these travel/social distancing restrictions, combined with the cancellation of Worlds, means that more of the elite skaters (especially in dance and pairs) will repeat their 2019-20 programs in 2020-21? Getting new choreography could really become problematic, especially if the current situation drags on longer than anyone anticipates.

Yuri

I see that the Great Park Ice and Fivepoint Arena in Irvine CA closed for the virus on March 14, to be reevaluated on March 31, and this four-rink facility absolutely is one of the top elite training facilities in the US. Frankly, in the world. It will be interesting to see the impact on the 2020-21 season of the closing of these elite training centers.

Bellanca

I need to ask, what are your solutions to the problem regarding the homeless you specifically mentioned - that they are using the city as a “public toilet”. Are you advocating for all businesses and residences in the area to open their doors to let people use the restroom?
@VGThuy, I have moved your question from this thread to a more subject appropriate thread, https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/dont-panic-coronavirus-news-experiences-continued.107012/
Post #422

However, I was not initially or directly addressing the coronavirus or its origins (then or now) with my post re San Francisco's homeless dilemma, nor was I intentionally taking unfair shots at them.

tylersf

If they revive 2020 Worlds, will they have it in Montreal, or will they have it somewhere that has an arena open later in the year? Maybe they could have Worlds in a city where it is warm in October (i.e. Las Vegas or Phoenix)?

FSWer

I sure hope that the Skaters who did qualify for this years Worlds can automatically qualify next year for the 2021 Worlds. As it's a circumstance beyond their control. Also,I don't really know were to post this actual question. But if anyone here should happen to hear anything about this virus starting to end, please post it so we can all know. Thanks. I must say too that I agree. 2020 needs to end.

skatingguy

decently
I sure hope that the Skaters who did qualify for this years Worlds can automatically qualify next year for the 2021 Worlds. As it's a circumstance beyond their control. Also,I don't really know were to post this actual question. But if anyone here should happen to hear anything about this virus starting to end, please post it so we can all know. Thanks. I must say too that I agree. 2020 needs to end.
There's no sign that the virus is going to end anytime soon. The discussion of the virus itself is happening here:

Japanfan

If they revive 2020 Worlds, will they have it in Montreal, or will they have it somewhere that has an arena open later in the year? Maybe they could have Worlds in a city where it is warm in October (i.e. Las Vegas or Phoenix)?

Worlds 2020 are not going to be revived. Let's hope there is a still a world in which FS skating exists (to give just one example) by next Year. And there will be another Worlds.

It will be interesting to see how the ISU handles all this in terms of rankings. There will probably be spill-over from this season into the next. A whole lot of skaters may not be able to follow their training regimes in the summer, and what with travel disrupted or stopped completely, getting new programs choreographed could be challenging. We'll probably see some training going to Skype, even if skaters are just doing off-ice training because rinks are closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information