ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

aftershocks

Banned Member
Whichever programs they want to. Old ones or new ones, that’s their choice. No one prevents skaters to change their programs even half way through the season,

Sure, but this would be under completely different, rare circumstances. I'm not an athlete so I have no idea regarding the process of preparation for major events, but I know it's not a piece-of-cake. Skaters have to come down and then build back up for major events.

I don't think there's any way for the sport to prepare for a proper World championships in October with everyone being in peak condition, while also prepping for a new GP season. Lots of scheduling adjustments would have to be made. Skaters will likely begin preparing programs for next season shortly, so they would either have to use their new ones for a Worlds in October or go back to their old ones for a postponed Worlds, and then revert back to the new ones for the GP. And the GP scheduling would also have to be adjusted, in addition to modifying the selection process. If skaters use new programs for a Worlds in October, it will be kind of strange to have bookend same programs at an October 2020 Worlds, and then at 2021 Worlds five months later.

But who knows... We are all obviously just speculating at a time when none of us know what's going to happen going forward. So, I'm staying in prayer for everyone's good health, and wishing the best for all the athletes. At times like these, it's important to count blessings, try to be upbeat and find ways to stay positive and make the best of the situation. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. 👍

aftershocks

Banned Member
The state university I work for canceled face-to-face classes as of this coming Monday until who knows when. Smart move.

The same for local universities and colleges where I live. This week is Spring break anyway. An announcement was made yesterday that no on-campus classes will take place for at least another month or longer depending on what happens going forward surrounding the further spread or containment of the virus. Online classes remain unaffected. Happenstances and decision-making are all fluid at the moment.

VGThuy

Not that this was ideal, but if they do end up having a Worlds in October, which I don't believe for a second will happen and if it were, many of the skaters don't seem enthusiastic about the idea, I guess it could be like the 2001 Goodwill Games where most skaters debuted their programs for the Olympic season with some skaters using their last season programs. I think the ice dancers then used the previous season's ODs. Of course, 2001 GWG took place in the first week of September and not October and only the ladies replicated the 2002 Worlds podium exactly (and Sarah Hughes didn't compete at either).

Japanfan

When there is a coordinated mishandling of something so universal like say, a global pandemic, across so many levels within society meant to guide/lead/protect us, why are we throwing our trust behind them? Warning signs were evident and now suddenly, I need to forfeit my right to assemble? To self-isolate while the few things I loved like art and sport, are stripped away? No, this is not normal. This is not aimed at anyone on this forum; I am just sad seeing where this is heading, for those who will be impacted by the virus, and for the rest by measures enacted to 'protect' us as we move forward in a 'new normal' of self-isolation, military-aided quarantines, restricted movement, and worse.

Regarding its impact on FS and these World Championships; Merkel stated 70% of Germany will get the virus, the rate of contagion, the mortality rate, etc. are insane. if everything is so inevitable and catastrophic, what is the harm in allowing a sporting event to continue for those who wish to participate? Or, are we saying that it CAN be contained?

I agree with you about questioning authorities.

ASFAIK, you have not been stripped of your right to assemble with others in public. Not yet in Canada - though some schools have closed and those which haven't will likely do so soon.

A sporting event - any event where people gather in large numbers - would just increase risk exponentially. Why would anyone want to attend such an event at this time?

If you are sad seeing where this is going, what alternative would you offer?

If there is a contagious and serious disease going around, self-isolation and restricted movement make sense IMO.

ChiquitaBanana

All people returning from abroad asked to be put into self quarantine.
State employees will get fully paid . Money given to private sectors workers via their company .
No gathering over 250 attendees.
Most schools are closed tomorrow.
They want to keep the infection rate as low as possible not to overwhelm the hospitals and clinics as it is right now in Italy. They want to go the Singapore or Hong Kong way.
Not much food or toilet paper at Costco...

World championships? We’re passed that...
The Canadian government gives sickness benefits up to 573$/week without waiting period to people who self quarantine.

ChiquitaBanana who has self quarantine since today...

ChiquitaBanana

Regarding its impact on FS and these World Championships; Merkel stated 70% of Germany will get the virus, the rate of contagion, the mortality rate, etc. are insane. if everything is so inevitable and catastrophic, what is the harm in allowing a sporting event to continue for those who wish to participate? Or, are we saying that it CAN be contained? If so, shouldn't have these bodies been more focused on restricting the flights that enabled athletes and others to enter and leave the country with or without this airborne virus than on the 4 minutes they spend on the ice?

...await a virus that despite all of this, 70% of you will get! Have a safe flight and remember, this virus jumps over 4m, so while we pack you all in like sardines, we are going to need to ask that you refrain form kissing loved ones as it may kill them. And if it doesn't, the virus will eventually. But, really, don't hug them ever again.
[/I]

http://lepharmachien.com/covid-19-aplatir-la-courbe/ (Google translate)

It’s all about flattening the infection rate curve... https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/rr/rr6601a1.htm#F1_down

covid19-aplatir-courbe-02.png

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
At least it’s not like the Formula 1 in Australia that was cancelled 2 hours before it was about to start. Now that’s a mess.
Looking back, I'm actually happy that Worlds was cancelled, even if it was already late as it was my only fear : landing in Montreal to learn I had travelled for nothing, being stuck 1 week there and maybe not being able to fly back if Switzerland or/and France close their borders (I live in France but it's a 40 mn drive to Geneva and its airport). The worse would have been to be able to fly back but being stuck 40 mn away from home :lol:

barbarafan

I agree with you about questioning authorities.

ASFAIK, you have not been stripped of your right to assemble with others in public. Not yet in Canada - though some schools have closed and those which haven't will likely do so soon.

A sporting event - any event where people gather in large numbers - would just increase risk exponentially. Why would anyone want to attend such an event at this time?

If you are sad seeing where this is going, what alternative would you offer?

If there is a contagious and serious disease going around, self-isolation and restricted movement make sense IMO.
Some provinces in Canada do not have any cases yet. 2 wks ago Alberta had none and Quebec had 1. 2 days b4 decision made Quebec had increased to 3 in the morning and then had 1 more case added in the evening.The day of decison 3 more added in Quebec. Schools are open...cases seem to be from incoming people so far. The decision more a case of not wanting a deluge of people coming from all over and the danger to the skaters coaches and officials passing through airports, train stations etc to get to the event just did not make sense. They do not forsee the danger safely lifting before October so that is that.

MsZem

I see the sea
Are there any other skater showcases planned beyond those in Canada? It would be nice for the skaters to be able to show their programs one last time :)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Not that this was ideal, but if they do end up having a Worlds in October, which I don't believe for a second will happen and if it were, many of the skaters don't seem enthusiastic about the idea, I guess it could be like the 2001 Goodwill Games where most skaters debuted their programs for the Olympic season with some skaters using their last season programs. I think the ice dancers then used the previous season's ODs. Of course, 2001 GWG took place in the first week of September and not October and only the ladies replicated the 2002 Worlds podium exactly (and Sarah Hughes didn't compete at either).

The irony is that mere days after the Goodwill Games, 9/11 happened.

A lot of the athletes and journalists attending the event were stuck in transit for almost a week before getting back home.

Life is so random.

ChiquitaBanana

Schools are closed for two weeks in Quebec. All sporting and arts buildings are closed. People are asked to work from hoe if possible. Drastic measures but everybody seems fine with it.

insideedgeua

I’m surprized that the ISU didn’t cancel Synchronized Junior Worlds. That’s a lot of young skaters, from all over the world in close quarters.

Some will say but the ISU didn’t cancel the World Championships, Canada cancelled them. I think the ISU was just waiting for it to be out of their hands, perhaps for the insurance purposes.

On the other hand the ISU has cancelled all meetings and seminars up until the end of May, for Figure and Speed Skating. This includes judging seminars, Pair and dance seminars, all with far fewer participants than Sys Junior Worlds.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Some will say but the ISU didn’t cancel the World Championships, Canada cancelled them. I think the ISU was just waiting for it to be out of their hands...
Just to be correct, it was the Province of Quebec that cancelled the Worlds. Health is a provincial responsibility so decisions are being made by each province. There is certainly federal input, but the announcements come from the provinces.
Except for today's announcement forbidding cruise ships with over 500 passengers from docking in Canada. That's a federal call.

Tinami Amori

This is what we missed from Sui/Han. They arrived Canada early, and were already skating at the practice rink.
Video is below the text which is in Chinese.

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

This is what we missed from Sui/Han. They arrived Canada early, and were already skating at the practice rink.
Video below the text which is in Chinese.
PML

who was behind them at the 3:40 mark copying their footwork. I was watching on my phone and couldn't see it very well.

starrynight

I think I read that Sui/Han and some others went straight to Canada after 4CC to avoid travel issues. They've been away from home for a long time.

Spun Silver

Video below the text which is in Chinese.
I think they just won Virtual Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information