ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I somehow feel that the NBC networks will replace the Worlds time slots with sports other than skating, LOL. More big-league $PORT$...$$$$$$.

starrynight

You do realise that just because people are upset about Worlds being cancelled it doesn't make them ignorant of the global situation, right? It's possible to be upset about more than one thing at a time.

I think the old saying is that things like sports and the arts aren’t necessary for life, but they give people something to live for.

Fiero425

I think the old saying is that things like sports and the arts aren’t necessary for life, but they give people something to live for.

I'm surprised something like this hadn't happened already! We have a lot of frivolous travel & few are truly considerate thinking about others and society when it comes to illness! IMO airplanes are mobile petri dishes and I gave up travel over 10 years ago! It stopped being worth it when I felt like cattle being herded even if paying for 1st class! Screening was humiliating enough; literally being undressed by some a-hole IDK who may be just having a bad day! :duh:

Finnice

It is obvious that the Synchro Worlds in April 3-4 in Lake Placid will be cancelled, too. At least the Shengen Area teams will not be able to participate.

Johnny_Fever

If I were participating, I would welcome the opportunity to compete in an empty arena. It makes you feel like the stakes are not as high. It takes some of the pressure off.

clairecloutier

Ka3sha

Some reactions from Russia:

Valentin Piseev:
It is an emergency situation that is connected not only to figure skating, but is a global problem that cannot be avoided. One must take it calmly. There have already been cases of cancellation of world championships. What to do now? I definitely do not understand the sense of postponement the Worlds to the fall, because it is not practical to hold two World Championships in the pre-Olympic season. It will be a too difficult a season.
We need to cancel Worlds and not postpone it, we need also to find an opportunity to host it in Montreal once in next four years. Breaking the calendar of the season is not the best way out of the situation.

Aleksandr Zhulin:
This is the second time in history when Worlds is canceled, the first cancellation occurred when the US team crashed on an airplane. It was a catastrophe, now its the same. We were preparing for the championship, just today we trained our free dance, but you can not risk the health of athletes and coaches. Therefore, I think it’s the right decision, the virus has not been studied properly yet, terrible consequences are possible.
We all, of course, grieve over the situation, but this is a world problem. It will be good if everyone unites and starts behaving correctly. I urge everyone, if possible, not to visit crowded places, to wear masks. We need to protect ourselves and prevent the infection from spreading further.

Tamara Moskvina:
Yes, everyone had chances, but circumstances are stronger than our desires. The decision was made by the Quebec government, it was confirmed by ISU, and we must obey it. How can we compare the danger to human health to the ambitious of a young couple? They still have many world championships ahead.

What's next? We’ll sleep now, the morning is wiser than the evening, as says the Russian proverb. We will continue to live and do everything that we planned earlier.

I also loved a stanza from Aleksandr Blok’s poem that Aleksandra Boikova used to describe her feelings :)
«In soul's cash as if the mould
Has penetrated up to height,
But I should sing, and mourn, and go
Along smooth paths to paradise».

This stanza from Blok's poem that conveys true emotions and feelings about the cancellation of the key start of the season and the general situation in the world. Indeed, it remains only to "cry, sing, go" to do our work, no matter what.
Thanks to everyone who supported us this season and continues to cheer us up now. I am very glad that we managed to arouse people's interest in figure skating and, in particular, in our pair.

hanca

Values her privacy
Then which programs would be used at 2021 Worlds five months later? The same programs?
Whichever programs they want to. Old ones or new ones, that’s their choice. No one prevents skaters to change their programs even half way through the season, so why should anyone prescribe which program they have to skate at delayed worlds?
The only time it makes difference is in short dance, and they could allow both old and new and leave it up to skaters whichever they prefer.

barbarafan

I'm stunned that they're not even trying to postpone, but simply outright canceling the event.
There was some talk of changing to end April but experts (doctors,scientists)seem to feel it will be worse before better and that the reschedule could only be in October. Based on that........ complete cancel only choice.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m feeling particularly badly for skaters who had really good programs this year and/or who were on the upswing and now lose momentum. Particularly comebackers like Madi and Evan, Jason, SinKats, Mariah, Wakaba, even Aliev who won Euros. Some are old enough that this is their last quad and who knows how things will be in the fall.

barbarafan

I'm quite stunned that the idea of holding it behind closed doors doesn't even seem to have been considered.
Part of the reasoning all the necessary participants (skaters, coaches, officials)travelling through these airports where many people could have been exposed but not symtamatic etc. so could arrive sick. If some opt out on participating they would lose if others competed. This sucks but is the most fair. Everybody loses out fairly equally. I hope anyone already in Mtl who comes from a place harder hit can stay here for a while. Everyone needs to work and train..head down until the danger passes.

coppertop1

If I were participating, I would welcome the opportunity to compete in an empty arena. It makes you feel like the stakes are not as high. It takes some of the pressure off.

Not in figure skating. The energy of the crowd is a critical part of it. Skaters get their energy from it.

I don't see rescheduling for the fall being viable. The new season is already underway. It would really mess up their schedule.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I think the skaters made it pretty clear in 2011 the idea that moving worlds to October doesn’t work because they’re already in deep prepping for the next season.

The thing is, this is likely our new normal. If they do move Worlds to October then perhaps the best thing for the athletes is to just keep this seasons programs. And for the Ice Dancers, the powers that be should just decide to keep the RD from this year too. Otherwise, what are the skaters going to do? They can't train two programs. Imo, it's best to just keep this year's programs. Hopefully this pandemic will die out - and may we never see anything like it again in our lifetimes. That is my hope and prayer.

jaro

On a different topic I’m hoping someone knows this. I have to cancel flights from the US to Montreal on Air Canada. They are waiving change fees but it looks like they don’t fly within the US. One end of the journey has to be Canada. Since I have no future plans to travel to Canada this would mean a total loss. No one answers at Air Canada. Does anyone know if you can fly Air Canada within the US?

Thanks.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
On a different topic I’m hoping someone knows this. I have to cancel flights from the US to Montreal on Air Canada. They are waiving change fees but it looks like they don’t fly within the US. One end of the journey has to be Canada. Since I have no future plans to travel to Canada this would mean a total loss. No one answers at Air Canada. Does anyone know if you can fly Air Canada within the US?

Thanks.

Yes. They have codeshares with United so those flights should be eligible for transferring your credits.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
It’s not the ISU’s decision to cancel it is Quebec’s decision.
I know that. My point was @misskarne was assuming no one considered holding Worlds without an audience and I was merely pointing out that it may actually have been a consideration. No one here knows which conversations were held.

JJS5056

I don't understand comments such as "this is our new normal." There is nothing normal about this virus, the way it was handled by governmental bodies, other so-called expert agencies, the media, or the way societal norms and freedoms are being dismantled at rapidly.

When there is a coordinated mishandling of something so universal like say, a global pandemic, across so many levels within society meant to guide/lead/protect us, why are we throwing our trust behind them? Warning signs were evident and now suddenly, I need to forfeit my right to assemble? To self-isolate while the few things I loved like art and sport, are stripped away? No, this is not normal. This is not aimed at anyone on this forum; I am just sad seeing where this is heading, for those who will be impacted by the virus, and for the rest by measures enacted to 'protect' us as we move forward in a 'new normal' of self-isolation, military-aided quarantines, restricted movement, and worse.

Regarding its impact on FS and these World Championships; Merkel stated 70% of Germany will get the virus, the rate of contagion, the mortality rate, etc. are insane. if everything is so inevitable and catastrophic, what is the harm in allowing a sporting event to continue for those who wish to participate? Or, are we saying that it CAN be contained? If so, shouldn't have these bodies been more focused on restricting the flights that enabled athletes and others to enter and leave the country with or without this airborne virus than on the 4 minutes they spend on the ice?

Sorry, I know I sound like a loose cannon, but nothing adds up.

"Athletes and coaches from all over the world, welcome to Montreal! But, wait. Oops. It's too dangerous to enter that building so please, enjoy our city's restaurants, get into our mass transit system en route to the airport, and disperse back amongst your populations.

"Oh, and folks, once you get back, don't even think about gathering 1,001 of you together to discuss creative ways of helping out because events of 1,000 are banned now in your city. No, silly, you aren't going to be properly tested or incubated; but, your 2nd job has been lost, your child's school has been closed, and you need to head into immediate self-isolation to await a virus that despite all of this, 70% of you will get! Have a safe flight and remember, this virus jumps over 4m, so while we pack you all in like sardines, we are going to need to ask that you refrain form kissing loved ones as it may kill them. And if it doesn't, the virus will eventually. But, really, don't hug them ever again.

For more guidelines from the people you should trust because... toilet paper... just provide a DNA swab because there is absolutely nothing confusing or alarming about our behavior."

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Who travels from the US to Canada via Europe? :huh:

That’s not what I meant gurlllll come on. It needs to be explained that basic to you?

If half of North America has a travel ban to Europe, skate Canada and the province of Quebec is not going to go through with holding the world championships? That’s just another symptom of the world dynamic right now to ensure the cancellation of worlds.

My post was not a statement in logistics of traveling. Now come on now! Think!!!!

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
You do realize that Montreal is in a Canada not USA. Trump can’t suspend travel from Europe to Canada.

I know it’s a mute point but really! Planes do travel from Europe directly to Canada.

Are you efffing kidding me???

My post was not a post for the logistics of travel or the location of Montreal. I can’t believe it had to be brought down to kindergarten levels for you

If I have to dumb down my post even further than that coronavirus is the least of your problems

Judy

Thanks.

There would be connections within the U.S. Give it a couple of days they will be overwhelmed right now.

skategal

Bunny mama
Well it means the flight capacity to Canada to attend worlds would be reduced a lot because I’m sure lots of people would be booked to travel from Europe to NYC to Montreal. Plus there would be a rush on trying to get any available seats direct from Europe to Canada.

jmtfti

I know that. My point was @misskarne was assuming no one considered holding Worlds without an audience and I was merely pointing out that it may actually have been a consideration. No one here knows which conversations were held.

I called in to Skate Canada's conference call yesterday on the cancellation and Debra Armstrong, who was asked exactly this by a reporter, indicated that this was not considered -- they provided the government of Quebec with information about the event and Quebec's subsequent response was the cancellation.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Well it means the flight capacity to Canada to attend worlds would be reduced a lot because I’m sure lots of people would be booked to travel from Europe to NYC to Montreal. Plus there would be a rush on trying to get any available seats direct from Europe to Canada.
If a US permanent resident can get a flight in to Pearson, they can just drive to Detroit to continue their trip. It might be out of the way for some, but it’s doable.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
if everything is so inevitable and catastrophic, what is the harm in allowing a sporting event to continue for those who wish to participate?
This has been said before but perhaps you missed it. The idea is to slow down transmission so that the healthcare system doesn't get completely overwhelmed so that there aren't enough people and supplies to treat everyone. If we don't do this, then people who get the virus and would have lived will die instead.

ETA there are already reports that this is happening in Italy. Because they were stupid and didn't take it seriously.

My post was not a statement in logistics of traveling. Now come on now! Think!!!!
You are the one who said something unclear (to be charitable) but it's the rest of us who have a problem. Sure.

Why not just say "oh that's not what I meant" rather than be such a bitch about it?

Vagabond

That’s not what I meant gurlllll come on. It needs to be explained that basic to you?

If half of North America has a travel ban to Europe, skate Canada and the province of Quebec is not going to go through with holding the world championships? That’s just another symptom of the world dynamic right now to ensure the cancellation of worlds.

Worlds were canceled before Trump announced the travel ban. Perhaps you should be less hasty before calling people "gurlll" and telling them to think. :shuffle:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Yes, it's sad. But the situation is going to impact a whole lot more people than athletes/skaters. For example, it could impact a whole lot of refugees who were supposed to fly out of war zones or refugee camps.

I'm fully aware that there's a whole world of people out there who have nothing to do with figure skating or sports who are being impacted by this deadly virus and I don't need you to point the obvious out to me. My previous remarks are specific to this thread about Worlds being cancelled and the athletes, etc. who are affected by the cancellation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information