Israeli Skating News

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Well, after Zaretskis, Katz and Krasnapolski we only need an Israeli lady to skate to a Schindler list (and someone to break into Galit's PC and delete that track forever!)

hanca

Values her privacy
Isn't he quickly approaching his 30ies by now (from either side)? I find it hard to believe that he will continue skating for much longer, especially with Hops/Tsoglin being decent. Well, ok, Tsoglin being decent. Decent and shorter by 3cm than Evgeny, if anyone wondered.

And no, Israel doesn't have any tall single guys, unless we count Samokhin, which I suggest we don't. In fact, unless papa Borya buys some more imports, all Israeli guys should be around the age of 10 now.
Well, if Israel could import Chernivskaya for Krasnopolski a year ago, I am sure they will be able to import a tall enough guy for Connor for next season, when Krasnopolski decides to have a new partner. And it will be fun to watch how Connor/new partner will do better that new partner/Krasnopolski.

Reactions: fan

MsZem

I see the sea
Oi... a guy:) sorry. But I really don't want Samokhin to skate to that.
Bychenko? :EVILLE:

Using Schindler's List is so lazy and unimaginative. You'd think there are no other pieces of music relevant to Jewish history or Israeli culture (not that Chait would know anything about the latter).

Although now I'm imagining Chait having someone skate to Static and Ben-El Tavori :rofl:

Reactions: fan

fan

Chait certainly won't. I'd be surprised if she could name any Israeli musicians.

At least Shmerkin was original enough to skate to Rona.
Shmerkin was actually Israeli, non? Ie lived in Israel for a bit?

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm not sure, I wasn't really following skating back then. I doubt he did for an extended period of time, the training conditions just aren't good enough in Israel.

But he did skate to actual Israeli music.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
AFAIK Shmerkin moved to Israel while there still wasn't even a skating federation and lived here several years before moving abroad.

Debbie S

I think he split his time between Israel and somewhere else (not sure if it was N.A. or Europe). IIRC, he had a wife and a kid in Israel, and I remember at the 98 Olys, the commentators said he almost didn't make it to Nagano, b/c he was in the process of divorcing and the divorce laws in Israel didn't allow him to leave the country while it was happening. Or something like that.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
They could skate to Amir Guttman's boy-band stuff from the 90s. RIP. :(

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Mean while Schreiber un-retired and skated in Canada landing a couple of double jumps, Kugleiko - in the USA, and am still waiting for Buchanan to skate her masterpieces. If Krasnapolski/whoever make it to the Olympics will be interesting to see which of the ladies will get the free ticket for the team event

hanca

Values her privacy
Mean while Schreiber un-retired and skated in Canada landing a couple of double jumps, Kugleiko - in the USA, and am still waiting for Buchanan to skate her masterpieces. If Krasnapolski/whoever make it to the Olympics will be interesting to see which of the ladies will get the free ticket for the team event
Is it too nasty of me to wish that any of Krasnopolski's ex-partners will find a male partner, compete for Israel and 'steal' the Olympic spot from Krasnopolski? (Come on, Chernivskaya, what are you doing? Where is your new partner?)

hanca

Values her privacy
i think connors is going to be a great pairs skater, and if krasnopolski is her ticket to the olympics, then let her ride.
I agree that Connors looks promising. Me hoping for them to miss the Olympics has nothing to do with her. I feel a bit uncomfortable that Krasnopolski apears to treat his female partners as some easily replaceable goods. I know it is a working relationship and if a working relationship does not work, people part their ways, but it seems that no relationship seems to work out with Krasnopolski.

Sylvia

TBD
Conners/Krasnopolski just won their first medal (bronze) at the ISU Challenger Series event in Minsk, so probably not. ;)

Daniel Samohin also won bronze in Minsk; Bychenko was 6th.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If the deadline for minimums is 21 days before the start of the Olympics, he and his new partner could earn the minimum scores at EDU Sport (1/4-1/7) or Euros (1/15-1/21). Pairs will be over at Euros by 1/19, which is 21 days before 2/9, the listed start of the OWG. Those two comps have Pairs.

fan

Who is nelli ioffe? She skated pretty well in Minsk. Another import?

reut

Probably was already posted in other threads, but I'll leave it here too:
http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Sp...-set-to-don-gloves-for-Winter-Olympics-514898

Israel has never previously sent more than five representatives to the Winter Games. It will have at least six athletes in the figure skating competitions in February, possibly even seven if it manages to qualify for the team event.

Alexei Bychenko and Daniel Samohin will take part in the men’s competition, Evgeni Krasnopolski and Paige Conners will participate in the pairs and Adel Tanakova and Ronald Zilberberg will compete in the ice dancing event. Isabella Tobias and Ilia Tkachenko earned Israel’s berth in the ice dancing by finishing in 12th place at the World Championships earlier this year.

However, they will not be able to compete in Pyeongchang as Tkachenko’s requests for Israeli citizenship have been turned down.

Both skaters must have citizenship in their country to take part in the Olympics. In the World Championships, it is enough for one of them to be a citizen. As a result, Tanakova and Zilberberg will take their place.

“We will be sending a record number of athletes and if we also participate in a team event that will be above and beyond our expectations,” Olympic Committee of Israel Secretary General Gili Lustig told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday, 80 days to the start of the Olympics on February 9, 2018.

“Israel Ice Skating Federation president Boris Chait, who is the driving force behind Israeli figure skating, including making large investments from his own pockets, said that he thinks we can qualify for the team event and people looked at him with disrespect and disbelief.

But the fact that we are still in the picture to qualify proves he was right. For us, it is unbelievable that Israel might take part in a team event at the Winter Olympics.”

“There are plans to build an Olympic rink in Holon and once that happens we will be able to make Israel the center of activity,” added Lustig. “We are aware of the fact that some of our representatives are not exactly involved in Israeli life, but once we have the facilities, one of our goals is to change that.”

Figure skating was chosen as a preferred sport by the OCI and the Sports Ministry ahead of the 2018 Games, resulting in an additional funding of NIS 900,000 just this past year.

fan

An additional Olympic rink in Holon? They just built Ice Peaks

MsZem

I see the sea
An additional Olympic rink in Holon? They just built Ice Peaks
Ice Peaks opened several years ago, and it's only half-sized.

Eilat and Metula have Olympic-sized rinks, but both are very out of the way. Eilat has a decent-sized program for kids, with some promising levels. They had an international competition this past summer, the Ice Mall Cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information