Is Michelle Kwan overrated

slipchuk

Banned Member
While Michelle Kwan is without doubt a great skater, probably a top 10 or top 15 skater of all time, is she overrated? I do enjoy watching her but looking over her career:

-In a super long career, basically a 14 year long senior career, and 11 season career as a top contender (fall 1994-2005) she managed to defend a World title only once. 2000 and 2001. And even then had to come from behind after the short program both times (one time from 3rd place despite a clean short) and rely on Slutskaya and Butyrskaya to both make mistakes in order to win those events, otherwise would have won neither. Contrast that to say Kristi Yamaguchi who is a legend and all time as well, but isnt really thought of as a super dominant skater, yet in a very short career defended a World title (91 and 92) and would have likely done numerous more times if she had even stayed to 94 or 95, and won the biggest event 3 straight times (91 Worlds- 92 Olympics- 92 Worlds). And that was against far tougher competition than Kwan ever faced (Ito, Harding, Kerrigan all at their peaks at once vs Kwan whose toughest competition was for a bit only Lipinski and then only Slutskaya).

-She skated in a very weak era. In her era a skater like Suguri won 3 world medals which would occur at no other time in history. We saw that when Sugur continued post 2006, wasnt that old yet, and still couldnt even make Japanese teams, making only 1 worlds from 2007-2010. A skater like Hughes won an Olympic Gold, probably still the weakest skater to win the Olympics topping Baiul and Poetzsch. A skater like Butyrskaya won worlds. And her only legitimate competition from 96-2003 was Lipinski in 97-98 and Slutskaya in 2000-2002, and maybe Hughes in 2002. That is it. Chen at just one event- 96 worlds.

-Obviously in her super long career failed to win Olympic Gold. She could not even manage it with a clean 7 triple program in 98, while someone like Shizuka Arakawa could win 8 years later with only 5 triples.

-Had losing records prime to prime against her 2 biggest career rivals. In 97-98 when both were in their primes lost 4 of 5 meetings to Tara Lipinski, and lost the only time both skated cleanly at the 98 Olympics. From 2000-2005, again prime to prime, had a lopsided losing record to Irina Slutskaya, and her only wins over Irina ever during this period were when she skated perfectly and Irina made big mistakes. That means prime to prime she was clearly a weaker skater to both Tara and Irina, despite that for overall career she is often rated above both due to her longevity.

-Was not as dominant ever as someone like Yu Na Kim. In her prime from 96-2004 she generally averaged 2 losses per year. Yu Na Kim generally averaged 1 loss per year, so on average a whole loss per year less, and Kim faced far tougher competition. Medvedeva is even more dominant than both, and while Medvedeva's competition is not as tough as Yu Na Kim's, it is generally superior to what Kwan's was.

-There is not a single aspect of skating she is even close to the best ever in- not jumps, not spins, not spirals (hers are great but in her own time alone Bobek and Cohen both had better ones), not seperate skating or artistic aspects.

-While she is generally a pretty complete package, there are a few aspects of her skating that are weak- spins are fairly weak, jump height is average to slightly weak, speed except days she was really on attack is average to slightly weak for a top skater. This contrasts to skaters like Yu Na Kim, Medvedeva, Yamaguchi, who have no weak aspect to their skating minus just one thing for Yamaguchi- jump height.

-In her prime she faced Yamaguchi way past her prime at the 97 Four Continents and lost the short program when both were clean with the same jumps. This suggests prime to prime she would really have a difficult time facing people like Yamaguchi, Ito, Medvedeva, Kim, Asada, skaters whose caliber she never faced in her prime (as noted her biggest career rival is Slutskaya who is at a clearly lower level than all of those).

-She was generally regarded as a somewhat overscored skater. She had some controversial wins or medals- 95 Lalique over Butyrskaya, 96 worlds over Chen, 99 world silver where most had her 8th or 9th in the short, 2000 Nationals over Cohen, 2000 and 2001 Skate America over Hughes, 2002 Olympic bronze over Cohen (to some). While atleast not to my memory ever having had a controversial loss. This is in contrast to say Yu Na Kim who had many controversial losses- 2008 Worlds, 2011 Worlds, the biggest in skating history probably at the 2014 Olympics. Of course there is also a big difference in being American, as opposed to being Korean or Japanese (Ito, who many regard as held back by judges by not only figures but corrupt judging prior to 89) or Chinese (Chen who many believe was perennialy held down from 93-96 and should have won numerous worlds, and done better than bronze at the 94 Games and placed better at the 92 Games as well). I am sure even the biggest Kwan diehard would concede the chances of her winning even close to 5 worlds, or probably more than about 2 if she were Japanese, Chinese, or Korean are virtually nil.

-She probably benefitted more than any other skater from others mistakes to win her titles/medals. She won the 96 worlds due to Ito's mistakes. She won the 98 Worlds where she didnt skate her best, only due to Slutskaya and Butyrskaya having one fall/major error in both the short and long each. She won the 2000 worlds only due to the mistakes of Slutskaya and Butyrskaya. Had Butyrskaya done her 2 triple salchows in the long she wins only a silver medal. Had Slutskaya done a 7th triple, even without doing a triple-triple, she would win only a bronze medal as Slutskaya winning the long automatically pushes Kwan to 3rd behind Butyrskaya too regardless of Butyrskaya. She won the 2001 worlds due to Slutskaya's mistakes. She won 2003 worlds due to Cohen's mistakes. So basically all 5 of her worlds were won through others mistakes only, and only in 1998 did she make any mistakes of her own. Her U.S titles in 2000, 2003, 2004, and 2005 were won only through Cohen's mistakes too given her own performances.

tylersf

I'm a HUGE Kwan fan, but I could agree with SOME of what you say.
She wasn't the most athletically talented skater either.
I was disappointed she never got an OGM.
She was fabulous at 1996 Worlds.
I also think she hid an injury for YEARS. I think you could sense something really wrong around 2003-2005. Her double axel looked wonky during that time period. In 2003-2004, she skipped all International competition, won Nationals, then finished 3rd at Worlds. After 2004, I felt that the injuries were getting worse and she couldn't perform as well. The new IJS also didn't help her either.
When you look back at skating during the Kwan era, some skaters did outperform her in big events (Lu Chen 1995 Worlds, Tara Lipinski - 1997 Worlds, 1998-OGM, Sarah Hughes - 2002 OGM). However, when you think about Women's Figure Skating during that time, you think of Michelle Kwan before the others.
For me, Michelle's overall ability, grace, packaging and marketing are what allowed her to survive and succeed nearly 4 Olympic cycles. You CAN say that she was in a "weak" era, but many skaters had the talent, potential, skills and opportunity to dethrone her dominance during her very LONG career. Kwan won 9 US Championships in 13 attempts, 5 World Titles in 12 attempts, and many other international titles. Results, not potential are what put you in the history books.

Areski

Beware the Kwan worshippers curse! :D

I agree on some of your points but overall I think that you understate Kwan too much with your mantra that she won so much because of "others' mistakes". "Not making mistakes" or making very little of them is praiseworthy itself and maybe suggests that the rest was simply not that good. Her longevity and smooth, sometimes understated yet expressive snd devoided of meaningless moves skating made her a legend. She had crowd at her feet & received standing ovations so many times - it speaks fof itself as well.

So all in all - not overrated.

Last edited:

barbk

I had the privilege of watching Kwan skate live most years from 1995 - 2004. There were some aspects that were very consistent:
1. She was in it to win it. She didn't always win, but her string of podium finishes is not likely to be matched until Med has been skating a few more years. She didn't get flustered often. I was at Worlds in Vancouver when her skating boot blade mounting disintegrated during an early morning warmup before qualifying rounds. After a quick fix-it job, she came out, skated around once, tried a trial jump and then proceeded to nail her program.
2. She was always, always well prepared. Even when she showed up at Skate America on very short notice to substitute for the sudden withdrawal of Sarah Hughes, Kwan showed up with new programs that were ready to play. Unlike a lot of the Russian skaters, who showed up back then under-trained and out-of-condition early in the fall, I just never saw that from her.
3. She could make it down the length of the ice with just a few strokes. Great efficiency. Her speed varied a lot - relatively slower earlier along, and markedly faster circa 2000. Slow or fast, she was never scratchy on the ice.
4. I haven't seen a rink-length change edge spiral as nice as hers, ever. Bobek's forward spiral was stunning. Cohen had a pretty spiral position that lacked deep edging and that most definitely lacked speed. A lot of the other skaters had frankly terrible spirals. (In many of these years, a spiral was a required element in the short program. We saw a lot of bad ones.)
5. Luinda Ruh is (and may always be) the queen of spins. Kwan did have spins that had remarkably good centering, and that was another not common feature in that era. Her spins in both directions were very unusual, and her camel and combination spin showed great stretch. Never had the feeling she was yanking up on her leg.
6. Kwan's jumps were remarkably reliable. She fell, but much less frequently than her major competitors, and she didn't have a habit of double footing (penalized quite heavily under 6.0) or doubling her jumps. She was especially reliable in the SP.
7. Her step sequences had speed, complexity and life. Kwan's step sequences under 6.0 were a total pleasure to watch.
8. She understood the power of performance. Even at COI, I remember other skaters in the show gathering in the Zamboni area to watch her perform. Same with practices at competitions.

So, she was certainly not the best at everything, but overall -- I'd put her into the top 3-5 ladies skaters in the modern era. Even though Tara and Sarah won Olympic gold medals, I wouldn't put either of them in that category.

falling_dance

Coaching Patrick
-In her prime she faced Yamaguchi way past her prime at the 97 Four Continents and lost the short program when both were clean with the same jumps.

Ah, but you have to remember how competitive the 1997 Four Continents Championships was (and it was the Nagano test event to boot). Contenders included Kwan, Lipinski, Yamaguchi, Chen, Ito, Bobek, Chouinard, Humphreys, Gimazetdinova, Malinina, and Yokoya. Even the journeywomen Fumie Suguri skated well, which she certainly can't be said to have done when she won her first World medal five years later. Really, the only 4CC ladies' event that compares to it is the one from 1991, in which the top eight finishers all landed quads, backflips, and WagenWheels. Subsequent eras have indeed been weak by comparison.

What I'm saying is that Kwan did well to finish in second given the pressure of competing in such a field, even against such a lesser luminary as Kristi Yamaguchi.

:saint: :2faced:

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Michelle Kwan ended her career being underscored in IJS!! This was judges telling her that her time was up! They didn’t say she was overrated but they wanted to move on!

Eeyora1

I just love the fact people continue to define Michelle by the last seasons of her career. I agree the judges did want to send her a message but in the end without her Torino was oh well...

Willin

TBH I think it's how you rate her as to whether she's overrated.
If you think she's the undeniable GOAT, yeah, you're definitely overrating her.
If you think she's the GOAT US Lady, you might be overrating her.
If you think she's certainly a very good skater that is among the best US Ladies to compete, you're probably not overrating her.
If you think she was overrated, you're probably underrating her (unless you're only listening to the ratings of Kwan stans)

Generally, what I and many others in the US Figure Skating community think is that she was one of the best US Ladies, and certainly someone to look up to, but that she wasn't that much better than other US Ladies greats that it would be appropriate to call her the US Ladies GOAT.

bardtoob

If Kwan is overrated, then I think it would be bad for skating, in general, to bring down her rating. An aging or aged star can still be useful.

Of course, I don't know that Kwan is overrated. I mean Tara has more followers than Evan, Michelle, Oksana, Nancy, and Kristi combined on Instagram, and Johnny has more followers on Instagram than Tara.

... I loved Johnny's skating, particularly when he was trained by Priscilla and choreographed by TAT, but maybe Johnny is overrated :shuffle: ... Even if Evan was boring as hell.

Last edited:

chapis

Well, it says a lot that after so many years of her retirment, when we are in the olympic season having so many skaters and competitions to discuss, you are still thinking about Michelle, you decide open a thread exclusively about her and you make a big and long analysis of her career.

DreamSkates

Let's discuss how many skaters win a medal because of someone else's mistake. That point is not even worth mentioning.

She won 5 world titles. Hmmm...I'd say that alone plus 10 US titles, no I don't think she is overrated at all. She didn't do a triple-triple like Lapinksi in Nagano, but that doesn't mean she is less of a skater.

No comparing the current era with hers, or calling that former era "weak." It was what it was at the time, and as with other sports, the generations following will take things up a notch or 2. Compare the beginnings of skating with current possibilities. You wouldn't call Dick Button a weak skater although he never landed a quad.

Kwan's skating quality was top-notch. Some of her jumps/landings were textbook perfect.

Could Hamill or Flemming land triples and combos as in Kwan's era? But we wouldn't say they are overrated.

bardtoob

Well, it says a lot that after so many years of her retirment, when we are in the olympic season having so many skaters and competitions to discuss, you are still thinking about Michelle, you decide open a thread exclusively about her and you make a big and long analysis of her career.

Yeah, I suppose people would just stop talking about Michelle Kwan by now if she was overrated.

It is funny that detractors are the one's that bring Michelle up outside of her thread.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What in sam hill is going on here?

Dante's Prayer.... hmm, ever heard of that? lol

Song of the black swan..... hmm, ever heard of that? lol

Hands (Christmas version) ....um-kay? ever heard of that? lol

Winter.... lets not forget about this masterpiece, um-kay?

Lyra Angelique... dont get me started. um-kay?

Backwards Charlotte... ever seen this perfection?

Falling Leaves... lets keep it real......

Spiral sequence... I dont want to have to open up a can of whup-ass

slipchuk

Banned Member
MAXSwaag, I said Yu Na had many controversial losses, not wins. Needlessly the 2014 Olympics which probably goes down as the biggest one in history for the ladies event. However the 2011 worlds where lost to Ando was a result most disagreed with, and there were many who felt she should have won the 2008 worlds too. I dont recall a controversial win at any point. I agree saying Yu Na had many controversial wins would have sounded ridiculous, but this is not what I said, you misread my comment.

I agree with the individual who said saying Michelle Kwan is the best skater ever or even hands down the best U.S skater ever is overrating her. Hence that is the equivalent of saying she is overrated as there are many, atleast in the U.S, who still say that.

VGThuy

Michelle Kwan’s skating is beyond this stupid ass thread with its stupid ass analysis. Michelle Kwan is always brought up when people want more participation in threads they created after a series of threads failed to garner the amount of responses you’d want.

lala

No. Plus she did the most important thing. She rised the figure skating's popularity to the sky in US.

bardtoob

I have concluded that Michelle Kwan is not overrated because I would love to see every 12 year old female skater do triple jumps:

https://youtu.be/htevMS0Vnyc?t=235

with technique that will still be effective at 37 years old:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdTeSE6DPwT/?taken-by=michellewkwan

It breaks my heart to see champions that earned their medals before age 17 retire bulimic or anorexic as a result of desperately trying to shrink their body back to the size they were when their technique worked.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
:lol: Must we discuss Michelle Kwan all the time in every thread, especially when the Olympics rolls around? :rofl: :p ;)

:duh: Oh, I forgot: Kween Rules! And some peeps never gonna forget their angst from when MK just kept winning at a time when their faves couldn't. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information