IOC's decision: (clean) Russian athletes can compete under neutral flag at PyeongChang Olympics

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I’m not being smug, I’m being pragmatic.

But if you want to believe that Canada’s one massive doping debacle = Russia’s (Putin’s) systemic doping culture, cheating and ultimate failure to cover it all up, you just go on believing that, little one.

I never said they equalled each other. Just that a Canadian athlete has brought disgrace to the entire Olympic movement in the past and things like this are nothing to take delight in.

But I guess you didn’t like that being brought up. Hence the name calling. ;)

Who were the other athletes?

I thought Ben Johnson trained in the USA. Or maybe that was Donovan Bailey.

Anyway, I’m not taking glee but OTOH I have no sympathy for the Russians, (outside of Bukin because he really does seem blindsided by it). You reap what you sow.

This shows your ignorance of historic doping in Canadian sport. I suggest you do a bit of reading about the Dubin Inquiry. Stating that “Ben Johnson trained in the USA” really says a lot though. :shuffle:

Systemic doping culture is a problem in all countries. It’s just that the systems are different. To deny that is pretty naive.

Also interesting that you feel sorry for Bukin, but not Stolbova. Goodness knows that she has a terrible attitude problem, but it doesn’t make it right that an athlete who has never tested positive is treated like this.

MsZem

I see the sea
Also interesting that you feel sorry for Bukin, but not Stolbova. Goodness knows that she has a terrible attitude problem, but it doesn’t make it right that an athlete who has never tested positive is treated like this.
I love Stolbova and still hope to see her in Pyeongchang. But I have to say I also feel worse for Bukin, because at least Stolbova has already been an Olympian, an OGM and an OSM.

As for the rest, I too find the treatment of the athletes shameful. This is the anti-doping mechanism that has been enabled by years of giving the system and not the athletes the benefit of the doubt. If the goal is fair sport, I don't see how that's being accomplished at the moment.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Putins communist opponent
It's not even a momentary reaction to the malicious anti-Russian position of the IOC. The thing is in the failure of the RF officials responsible for the sport. This problem arose two years ago. Even then it was necessary to take an offensive, and not defensive, position, including the filing of mass lawsuits of the injured athletes with the full support of the state. And our officials hoped for a chance.Now you can see where this led to!

https://translate.googleusercontent...henie/&usg=ALkJrhhOjApDeCJAnDzWtQSE6Z6fns_kxw

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
With whom else should the I.O.C. have made a deal, if not the R.O.C.?

You missed my point, which is about what the athletes are struggling under not to *sniff* dispassionately pretend to analyze how everything could have been done. It is done as it is done. But the situation for the athletes is appalling.

barbk

Very unreasonable. If the IOC was going to take steps like this it should have been last fall, not weeks before the Olympics.

I think that the athletes not invited deserve specific feedback on the specific factor(s) that triggered the non-invitation. Up to them whether they want to share it publicly. I hope they get it.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm just catching up on everyone's posts this week.

And very rarely I don't know what to think, but now is one of those times. Other than that state-sponsored doping on Russia's part is highly verified, and people I think are innocent are paying for it. It's a tragedy.

Anyasnake

Tiffany posted on her instagram stories that she and Jonathan were picking their Olympic tracksuit. (Early release or alternates obligations ?)

Ka3sha

Tiffany posted on her instagram stories that she and Jonathan were picking their Olympic tracksuit. (Early release or alternates obligations ?)
Well, they (and Astakhova/Rogonov) have already been named for the team, they are listed among all Olympic athletes from Russia on the team Russia website.. of course they need their Olympic tracksuits!

VGThuy

I don’t think alternates usually get any Olympic gear so it seems they’re getting it because they are on the team.

mojo

On the lack of transparency note, here's Viktor Ahn's open letter to Thomas Bach (to which there was a "cannot respond to specific cases" response).... http://www.sport-express.ru/olympic...al-pismo-bahu-i-zhdet-obyasneniy-mok-1363864/

"My first Olympics were back in 2002, and the upcoming ones in PyeongChang, were to be special in my career for several reasons. But 2 weeks before the Olympics start, I learned that the Olympic movement does not consider me to be an athlete who deserves to participate in them and will not explain why.

Over my whole career in short track, I have never once given a reason to doubt in the purity of the titles I earned. I always was respectful of sport in general, my competitors, the Olympic moment, and always complied with anti-doping laws and sincerely believed that having met the criteria for Olympic Games selection, a "clean" athlete deserved the right to participate in them. But the IOC commission decided otherwise and has not explained to me the reasons for this decision.

I studied the criteria by which this decision was made. I declare responsibly that I see nothing for which I am guilty that could make me wind up in a list of those not allowed to go to the Games.

I am upset with the situation as the concrete reason for denying me participation in the Olympics still has not been named and therefore, there are now conversations about me, considering me to be a doping athlete. After so many years in sport, this verdict has become a symbol of distrust toward me by the IOC and the reason for distrust toward me from the sports community.

I sincerely hope that IOC will name the reason for not letting me go, so that I could defend my honor and dignity, which I have the full right to do as - and I sincerely believe this, I have the right to hope for trust from fans, competitors and journalists after so many years in short track and the complete absence of evidence of my guilt in this situation, when I was stripped of the opportunity to compete in the Olympics 2018.

Sincerely, Victor Ahn

Ka3sha

More speculations, as if it hasn’t been enough:
Artem Patsaev, a lawyer, who works with Russian athletes (and if I remember correctly, he was the one who helped Yulia Efimova before Rio Olympics) wrote on his Facebook page that we may expect some “good news” on January, 30-31.

barbk

Phil Hersh tweeted an “integrity declaration” the IOC will ask all Russian athletes to sign:
https://mobile.twitter.com/olyphil/status/956931754534809600

He also got comments from Nina Mozer:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/25/265366402

That smacks of the loyalty oath public employees formerly had to sign. Blech.

I thought Russia deserved severe sanctions after the doping scandal, but I can't wrap my head around how the IOC is treating a mere handful of athletes, and especially the timing of it all.

caseyedwards

That smacks of the loyalty oath public employees formerly had to sign. Blech.

I thought Russia deserved severe sanctions after the doping scandal, but I can't wrap my head around how the IOC is treating a mere handful of athletes, and especially the timing of it all.
They said all presumptions would be that they are all Guilty! And Russia agreed. They agreed all Russians would be treated as guilty first and have to do anything to prove innocence

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
She was cleared. Doesn't that remove her suspension?

It seems like it depends on how you interpret the question. Does being cleared mean you can answer the question, Have you ever been suspended? with a no?

ETA: My guess is that there's no intention of banning anyone else, certainly not Bobrova as the info on her is all public, but it certainly makes one go :eek: to see the questions.

Vagabond

You missed my point, which is about what the athletes are struggling under not to *sniff* dispassionately pretend to analyze how everything could have been done. It is done as it is done. But the situation for the athletes is appalling.
I didn't miss your point. You blamed the I.O.C. for reaching an agreement with a corrupt organization. That was unnecessary. It is possible to criticize a corrupt organization without criticizing third parties who had to deal with it.

caseyedwards

Bobrova could say
She was only “provisionally suspended” for an Aaf! She never had a adrv. Never was suspended!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information