Interview with coach Brian Orser: relationship with Medvedeva, admiration for Tuktamysheva,etc

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

I thought this part was pretty interesting concerning Elizaveta Tuktamyesha: "Write that I love her the most, that she is the best! Her work with Alexei Mishin is amazing, I sincerely wish her to go to the Beijing Olympics. She must be part of the Beijing Olympic team. I really hope to see her there, it would be great for world figure skating."

Hmm, is he throwing level 1 shade at another coach here......? I still think Eteri really got under his skin when in an interview around fall 2018 she was asked who was her skating idol growing up or her favorite skater of all time? Her answer dumbfounded everyone at the time, made no sense, but she said "Brian Boitano". LOL!!! It was Level4 shade done so well we have no idea if she intentionally meant it to be such a stinger to Orser, "Mr. Second Place" as he called himself!!! lol. It looks like Orser might be trying to be shady back, but still Bri, it looks desperate...

barbk

I'm kind of confused how he's training Hanyu if they aren't on the same continent.
Nathan and his coach were separated by continent for a good chunk of two years, right? I don't know if Orser is really working with Hanyu now, but there does seem to be a model for that.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
amazing shade, everyone knows people just support Tuk coz she is in a non Tutberidze camp,
11 years ago she was being labelled another jumping bean to now the hope of maturity,

Also Sorry but I do not agree with giving extra points for being old. This will bring complacency, reminds me of some companies where they raise salaries based on an employee tenure despite having the same and redundant work.

Yes the ISU, Olympics and some jusdges are propping her up, maybe even with approval from the Fed
NBC Headlines: veteran Tuktamsyehva: ISU and Olympics: mature Tuktamsyheva. :rolleyes:

On My Own

I am confused about what he means by Tuktamysheva's improvement. If he just means that she's retained her jumps, is attempting more difficult content than before, and has become more consistent, then yes. On the other hand, if he means she's become a better artist, then no, don't see it at all.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Everyone in the figure skating world seems to love Liza and admire what she's accomplished, I don't think it has to be about Eteri in this case.
But I do think people love her BECAUSE she is not an Eteri student. A skating purist can't exactly say that they love her actual skating. I can't. But I love her commitment to herself and her sport to still achieve at her level. But it's not the skating I love, hardly.

VGThuy

People like her because they know the journey she’s been on, she managed to stay competitive and be more competitive now than when she won her 2015 world title, and she actually has personality on the ice. Name longevity breeds familiarity which will garner some fans. Every other sport knows this, but skating is the one where fans want skaters to be disposable after two years.

ETA: That said…coming from Orser…yeah…he has his own self-interest here.

I do think the Eteri Brian Boitano answer is the best shade ever.

screech

I think one of the reasons people love Tuk is because of the longevity. People liked her when she burst onto the scene and they've stuck with her. It's rare to see a female skater have longevity and to cheer for the same female skater for a decade, especially when they're still able to be competitive.

Also, I saw her live at the 2015 Euros, and while I haven't seen her live since, at that point she was incredibly captivating to watch in person. She just drew you in in a way that her competitors did not.

antmanb

I thought this part was pretty interesting concerning Elizaveta Tuktamyesha: "Write that I love her the most, that she is the best! Her work with Alexei Mishin is amazing, I sincerely wish her to go to the Beijing Olympics. She must be part of the Beijing Olympic team. I really hope to see her there, it would be great for world figure skating."

Hmm, is he throwing level 1 shade at another coach here......?
No I don't think so, he also says all of Eteri's skaters impress him.

skateboy

I think people just like her because she's "old" (obviously she isn't really old in real terms) for a Russian woman skater, and also just a cool and fun person, not because she's not an Eteri student.
Liza does come off as a cool person at times and I admire her longevity, but... I vividly remember, during a women's event which she was watching from home, Liza was tweeting some really shady and nasty comments about the competitors. So I'm less enthusiastic about her than I used to be.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Liza does come off as a cool person at times and I admire her longevity, but... I vividly remember, during a women's event which she was watching from home, Liza was tweeting some really shady and nasty comments about the competitors. So I'm less enthusiastic about her than I used to be.
That was 99.9% likely her agent that she ended up firing, and in any event, I don't think it was shady as much as an attempt at humor-- especially by FSU PBP standards. I interviewed her as she was in a press room during the 2018 Rostelecom (as a spectator for the competition) and everything was heavily managed by her agent at that point-- the same time she was much more 'active' on Twitter.

skateboy

That was 99.9% likely her agent that she ended up firing, and in any event, I don't think it was shady as much as an attempt at humor-- especially by FSU PBP standards. I interviewed her as she was in a press room during the 2018 Rostelecom (as a spectator for the competition) and everything was heavily managed by her agent at that point-- the same time she was much more 'active' on Twitter.
Good to know. Some of the comments were really shady, it was disappointing to read.

bardtoob

Liza was tweeting some really shady and nasty comments about the competitors.

That sounds fun. Can you share? :2faced:

Also Sorry but I do not agree with giving extra points for being old. This will bring complacency, reminds me of some companies where they raise salaries based on an employee tenure despite having the same and redundant work.

Spoken like a self promoter who doesn't know what they are talking about but thinks they should be in charge because they have a big mouth.

By the way, four minute program after four minute program all with similar requirements and structure is redundant work. Every competitor does redundant work in order to be ranked.

Lizziebeth

I am confused about what he means by Tuktamysheva's improvement. If he just means that she's retained her jumps, is attempting more difficult content than before, and has become more consistent, then yes. On the other hand, if he means she's become a better artist, then no, don't see it at all.
IMHO, Liza has really worked to improve her spins. In the past they were pretty bad and looked very basic and like they were just being done at the minimum. She is still not the best spinner, but she's much better now.

On My Own

And now Lorenzo Magri has apparently jumped on the train... One of the coaches of Alysa Liu. Er...

I mean it's very funny.

antmanb

IMHO, Liza has really worked to improve her spins. In the past they were pretty bad and looked very basic and like they were just being done at the minimum. She is still not the best spinner, but she's much better now.
Not just that I think her basic skating looks better this season too. It's hard to tell on TV but i think her stroking has improved and she looks faster, but i'd be interested in hearing what people who have seen her live think.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I like Liza's commitment to the sport and to her career. I first watched her as an 11 year old with great jumping ability. It was enough to win those days. She has continuously worked hard to improve herself, so she could be competitive with the younger girls. Even now, in her 'old' age she is working on a quad. She has clearly worked on improving her spins, basic skating, and the ability to on etc with the audience. The never say die spirit is what makes me admire and love her.

soogar

Not just that I think her basic skating looks better this season too. It's hard to tell on TV but i think her stroking has improved and she looks faster, but i'd be interested in hearing what people who have seen her live think.
Everything looks better this season. She finally got programs that really show her off and are engaging. She has improved her spins immensely. The commentators made of point of saying that while she is slower than others, she had really clean edges and quiet skating (for Skate Canada).

soogar

I like Liza's commitment to the sport and to her career. I first watched her as an 11 year old with great jumping ability. It was enough to win those days. She has continuously worked hard to improve herself, so she could be competitive with the younger girls. Even now, in her 'old' age she is working on a quad. She has clearly worked on improving her spins, basic skating, and the ability to on etc with the audience. The never say die spirit is what makes me admire and love her.
I also appreciate that she looks so happy out there and she is clearly skating for herself. I feel the same way about Sofia Samodurova. The Eteri girls are very intense and what a Westerner would expect from the "Soviet/now Russian" sports machine. It's nice to see Russian competitors who are competing for themselves and their own personal goals. It's easy to forget that there are competitive skaters who actually love to skate and aren't doing it out of some duty.

DreamSkates

Hmm, is he throwing level 1 shade at another coach here......? I still think Eteri really got under his skin when in an interview around fall 2018 she was asked who was her skating idol growing up or her favorite skater of all time? Her answer dumbfounded everyone at the time, made no sense, but she said "Brian Boitano". LOL!!! It was Level4 shade done so well we have no idea if she intentionally meant it to be such a stinger to Orser, "Mr. Second Place" as he called himself!!! lol. It looks like Orser might be trying to be shady back, but still Bri, it looks desperate...
Not. He's a professional and may truly appreciate Tuk's abilities and artistry development. At her age, also, and continuing to skate at the highest level.

DreamSkates

She has taken herself seriously as a competitor, noted judges' feedback from competitions, and is determined to improve and be on a competitive level with the rest of the Russian girls and the world. Gotta admire that kind of gumption!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information