In Memoriam

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
I am really sad to hear the passing of Akira Toriyama and Tarako (voice actor for Chibi-maruko-chan, a popular Japanese manga and anime)
Today I learned that Eric Carmen has passed. RIP.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Hopefully his sacrifices will lead to changes at Boeing. R.I.P.

I'm not generally given to conspiracy theories, but I can't help but wonder about whether there was something else that contributed to his death. There is just too much money at stake with Boeing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm not generally given to conspiracy theories, but I can't help but wonder about whether there was something else that contributed to his death. There is just too much money at stake with Boeing.
I'm not either but after years of screaming that Boeing was doing bad things, people are finally listening to him. This is not the time to give up on life.

Then again, he retired for health reasons so maybe those were interfering with his quality of life.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Karl Wallinger, formerly of the Waterboys and then of the marvelous World Party, passed away yesterday :(

He had a brain aneurysm in 2001, and when Robbie Williams covered his song She's The One, most of the royalties from that paid for his medical treatment. As a result of that, though, he had a blind spot in his right eye that meant for quite a while he couldn't see the neck of his guitar or his hand playing it. So he had to relearn to play the guitar using only touch and sound.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

I just caught up on the new season of The Cleaning Lady and learned that Adan Canto, who plays a main lead character Arman Morales, died in January. He was only 42 years old. :cry: I must have flipped to the next episode to quickly to see the memorial card at the end of episode 1, and at the end of episode 2 I was mad Arman is still missing so went searching to see why he wasn't on the show. :cry::cry::cry:

Cachoo

RIP Paul Alexander. I’m sorry I only heard about him on his death but have read a lot about him today and what an amazing and inspiring guy he was.

I honestly didn’t know people were living in iron lungs. He was remarkable and had so much dignity. Also NYT obit:

Cachoo

Hungry Eyes is one of my favourite songs from the 80s. R.I.P.

The Raspberries were able to blend pop, rock and some beautiful harmonies. I think they deserved more appreciation. Eric Carmen was good with them and in his solo career. RIP

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I honestly didn’t know people were living in iron lungs. He was remarkable and had so much dignity. Also NYT obit:
Of course working in a hospital once known as the "polio hospital" and saw pictures of wards filled with patients in Iron lungs - I knew about Paul.

I read an article several years back about parts of Iron lungs needing to be salvaged from old Iron lungs stored in basements of hospitals or museums to repair his Iron lung. They had quit making Iron lungs decades ago. Replacement parts were difficult to find.

Cachoo

Of course working in a hospital once known as the "polio hospital" and saw pictures of wards filled with patients in Iron lungs - I knew about Paul.

I read an article several years back about parts of Iron lungs needing to be salvaged from old Iron lungs stored in basements of hospitals or museums to repair his Iron lung. They had quit making Iron lungs decades ago. Replacement parts were difficult to find.
I can only think of what he thought of the anti-vax crowds of recent years.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yet another civil rights hero died:

Dorie Ladner, dauntless civil rights activist, dies at 81​

She joined the civil rights movement as a teenager in Mississippi, braving gunfire, tear gas, police dogs and Ku Klux Klansmen in the campaign for racial equality
https://wapo.st/48WkBM9 (gifted)

I realize that most of my heroes from the 60s are now in their 70s and 80s and so they are all going to be dying off just like all the holocaust survivors. I worry about how certain parties (white nationalists mostly) will twist history once all these witnesses to it are dead.

MsZem

I see the sea
If you've studied psychology/judgment and decision making/business/econ, you've probably come across the work of 2002 Nobel Prize Laureate Daniel Kahneman:

In an anecdote told in his Nobel Prize bio, he wrote about realizing that his mother was right and that "people were endlessly complicated and interesting." His work with his late colleague Amos Tversky has been foundational in understanding some of what drives our complexities and interesting behaviors.

May his memory be a blessing.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
If you've studied psychology/judgment and decision making/business/econ, you've probably come across the work of 2002 Nobel Prize Laureate Daniel Kahneman:

In an anecdote told in his Nobel Prize bio, he wrote about realizing that his mother was right and that "people were endlessly complicated and interesting." His work with his late colleague Amos Tversky has been foundational in understanding some of what drives our complexities and interesting behaviors.

May his memory be a blessing.
He was a brilliant mind. A fascinating book about their work by the always-readable Michael Lewis is called The Undoing Project.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Herr Wepper played the secretly Jewish suitor of Natalia Landauer (played by Marisa Berenson) in Bob Fosse's film of Cabaret, among many other roles in a long career:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Very sad about his loss. He was so good in everything he was in. "Officer and a Gentleman" can still make me cry to watch it. Rest in peace sir.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We didn't watch Gen V but did watch the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and he was good in that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information