Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

mtnskater

Back from Montreal and several days later I am still in shock and on such a high from Ilia’s world record, ground breaking performance. What a great moment in sports and figure skating history. I feel so lucky to have been in that audience. The electricity, the energy and the total screaming standing ovation. So fun. So memorable. People even stood again when the score came up. Just wow, wow, wow. I’ve probably watched his free skate back somewhere between 10 and 20 times already. I love the fan cam (I think from someone on FSU) that really captured the moment when Ilia came off the ice and draped over his father’s shoulder and his dad picked him up off the ground in the biggest bear hug. Gets me teary eyed every time. The Succession music and program with the soaring music, piano riffs and haunting choir voices…love it so much. Shae Lynn did a great program and Ilia rises to it by hitting the musical highlight notes on the beat while doing the most difficult jumping content ever.

I also wanted to say that Ilia’s exhibition also shocked me. It was so powerful and emotional and just knocked our socks off too. Amazing performance. And he does a quad axel in the finale :eek:

Major congratulations to Ilia!!! 👏👏👏🎉🎉🎉♥️♥️♥️

mtnskater

I had to meet my mother at a doctors appointment today and out of the blue the driver who brought her over from her assisted living place asked me on the way out if I had seen Ilia’s performance from Saturday night and that it was “one of the most beautiful and amazing things she has ever seen.” She’s a casual fan left with a huge impression. Nice to hear!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I love the fan cam (I think from someone on FSU) that really captured the moment when Ilia came off the ice and draped over his father’s shoulder and his dad picked him up off the ground in the biggest bear hug.
That was just the sweetest moment. I loved it. Also, I remember thinking that Roman must be as strong as an ox. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Bryan Armen Graham on the impact of Ilia's Worlds performance on him for The Guardian (March 29):
Excerpts:
While Saturday’s network broadcast on NBC drew a modest 1.56m US television viewers up against March Madness, it has gone viral in the days since, hoovering up millions of views across social media platforms with glowing write-ups everywhere from the New York Times and Good Morning America to the music blog Stereogum and the celebrity news site Just Jared. “I am so honoured that Ilia skated to selections from my music,” Britell told the Guardian. “It is really exciting to see the score transcend beyond the TV screen.”
All six of Malinin’s quads earned positive grades of execution. Anyone watching at home would have been forgiven for thinking it was a pre-taped special cobbled from the best bits of multiple performances. The jolt of seeing it in person compared to the winning programmes of even a few years ago was roughly the equivalent of watching an Imax screening of Mad Max: Fury Road after streaming Bullitt in your bedroom. This was figure skating’s inherent marriage of athleticism and artistry catapulted to stupefying new heights.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
30-second interview clip in this post:
By Nick McCarvel (March 28): https://olympics.com/en/news/figure...linin-worlds-montreal-2026-olympics-exclusive
Embedded video - Exclusive: Ilia Malinin’s world title a ‘stepping stone to the Olympics’
After the 3-minute mark he says:
“For the next chapter of my skating... I want to try to find my style of skating.” I think that I still am kind of struggling to find that perfect [style], I guess for me, because when I look back at how I skate, sometimes I don't really enjoy watching myself in that artistry aspect.
“I think that's what I'll spend the next season [and the season following], before the Olympics, working on that, trying to find that sweet spot.”

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Back from Montreal and several days later I am still in shock and on such a high from Ilia’s world record, ground breaking performance. What a great moment in sports and figure skating history. I feel so lucky to have been in that audience. The electricity, the energy and the total screaming standing ovation. So fun. So memorable. People even stood again when the score came up. Just wow, wow, wow. I’ve probably watched his free skate back somewhere between 10 and 20 times already. I love the fan cam (I think from someone on FSU) that really captured the moment when Ilia came off the ice and draped over his father’s shoulder and his dad picked him up off the ground in the biggest bear hug. Gets me teary eyed every time. The Succession music and program with the soaring music, piano riffs and haunting choir voices…love it so much. Shae Lynn did a great program and Ilia rises to it by hitting the musical highlight notes on the beat while doing the most difficult jumping content ever.

I also wanted to say that Ilia’s exhibition also shocked me. It was so powerful and emotional and just knocked our socks off too. Amazing performance. And he does a quad axel in the finale :eek:

Major congratulations to Ilia!!! 👏👏👏🎉🎉🎉♥️♥️♥️

You perfectly captured how I felt on Saturday night in the Bell Centre!! As soon as I got back to my hotel room I was searching YouTube for videos of his performance so I could watch it again. Do you have a link to the fan cam with the moment between Ilia and his dad?

I think back to when I saw Ilia skating around to the Succession theme at the SOI rehearsal in Baltimore last June. I had no idea it was going to be his music, but I loved how he looked with it. I'm so glad he's the first person to use it for skating since he's such a trailblazer in the sport!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Ilia’s maternal grandpa, Valery Malinin, training young skaters in Novosibirsk, Russia! (Go to 2min. 40secs)

This was filmed one year ago by a local blogger but Valery still teaches here in Novosibirsk. Great family story.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

ice coverage

His rise has honestly been meteoric.

2022 - Junior World Champion, arguably should have made the Olympic team even though we had never heard of him
2023 - First quad axel
2024 - Senior World Champion, world record free skate

2025?! 2026?! Pace yourself, Ilia!

First quad axel was in 2022! (Not 2023.)
First quad axel was on September 14, 2022, in free skate at U.S. International Classic (Challenger Series) in Lake Placid.
Soon followed by quad axel in October 2022 in free skate at Skate America.

First quad axel in short program was at GPF in 2023.

FunnyBut

Can someone please explain why his last name is Malinina, not Skorniakov? I know this has probably been answered before, but I didn’t catch it.

Sylvia

TBD
Can someone please explain why his last name is Malinina, not Skorniakov?
"The two have been coaching Malinin—who took the masculine version of his mother’s surname due to its easier pronunciation—since he was around six years old." From: https://www.washingtonian.com/2023/01/30/7-things-to-know-about-skater-ilia-malinin/
And for old time's sake, here's Ilia at 2016 nationals. It's cute seeing his mom wanting a hug at the end.
Awww. :) BTW, Samuel Mindra was the Juvenile national silver medalist behind Ilia that year.

Post #5 in this thread:
Ilia won the U.S. Juvenile & Intermediate national titles back to back in 2016 & 2017 - here's his 1st place South Atlantic Regional Intermediate SP in October 2016 (a few months before he turned 12) :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7rYBcFaw8

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member

alexikeguchi

Ilia won the U.S. Juvenile & Intermediate national titles back to back in 2016 & 2017 - here's his 1st place South Atlantic Regional Intermediate SP in October 2016 (a few months before he turned 12) :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7rYBcFaw8
I guess I missed this post the first time around, so thanks for re-posting the link. Similar to Nathan Chen, Ilia just oozes quality at this young age. His jumps weren't really anything special, but he looks so at ease on the ice, has great basics, and clearly loves to perform.

Also, if he was almost 12 at this time, it just goes to show that acquiring quads as a young child has nothing to do with technical prowess as an adult athlete. His parents did a great job nurturing his talent and keeping their eyes on the big picture, not pushing too hard for short term results.

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia's South Atlantics Intermediate FS was, IMO, less interesting (to Zorro ;) which is why I linked to his SP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIprXZO-gik
Someone must have searched him on YT and came across this video, posting "Our world champion" in the comments.

ETA:

He was assigned to his first second international, Golden Bear in Zagreb, as a Novice skater. This is what I posted in November 2018 (quoting my post in a locked thread):
Ilia Malinin skated a good SP (3Lz+2T, 3F, 2A) for 1st place but had a rough FS (with his only clean/+ jumping passes being 3Lz+2T & 3Lz) for 3rd in that segment and 2nd overall in Adv. Novice.
He won his international debut in Adv. Boys at the Asian Open Trophy in Bangkok in early August 2018. ETA a fan cam video of his FS (first 2:20): https://twitter.com/yvynextlevel/status/1025055676647657473
He nipped Shunsuke Nakamura for the gold 116.71 to 115.86 overall.

Last edited:

cailuj365

First quad axel was in 2022! (Not 2023.)
You're totally right! My bad. I guess I was thinking in terms of seasons.

Just amazing the amount of media coverage that Ilia has gotten, front pages, wow.

Even Elon Musk has seen Ilia skate:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1772162849244094914

Also, idk if you all saw John Nicks' son post a comment on instagram:

"nickschris ilia that was the greatest skate ive ever seen in my life ive been watching skating for over 50 years my dad john nicks a former coach said the same thing he couldnt believe what he was witnessing all i know is one thing you are the goat congrats buddy🥇"

Lastly, I have to say that even though Succession isn't the most dynamic piece of music ever, it ended up elevating his media coverage even more because it's a major pop culture reference and highly awarded show. I don't think he would have gotten articles from The Hollywood Reporter or Deadline without it.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @cailuj365 for bringing our attention to the comments made by John Nicks’ son, Chris!
Lastly, I have to say that even though Succession isn't the most dynamic piece of music ever, it ended up elevating his media coverage even more because it's a major pop culture reference and highly awarded show. I don't think he would have gotten articles from The Hollywood Reporter or Deadline without it.
Definitely… and New York Magazine too (3M views!): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C48x8NDSXfe/

ETA - LOL that the most liked comment of the 1100+ was by streamonmax: "Number 👏 One👏 Boy 👏" (from Succession, of course - here's the scene from season 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiDE0BBpU_Q).

ETA #2 - random tweet I saw on Easter morning: "If you want to feel utterly inadequate while lying around eating chocolate watch that American skater lad absolutely batter all previous skating performances to the Succession theme tune #IliaMalinin”

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia’s 3 photos+clip from SOI in Osaka: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5PVmrxrE7G/

He enjoyed his day off during the current Japan SOI tour at Tokyo DisneySea (with Loena, Isabeau, Maxime D. & Junhwan) per Loena’s latest Insta stories. There are 4 JSOI shows left in Yokohama this weekend, April 5-7.

He and Loena are scheduled to perform in the “Kings on Ice” show in Tallinn, Estonia on April 9 - info is posted in this GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/ice-shows-in-europe-2024.111697/

Ilia was added (announced on Feb. 28) to the Canadian Stars on Ice tour - April 25-May 16, 2024 (12 shows): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2024-canadian-stars-on-ice.111317/

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Shun Sato (Silver for 2024 GPF and the winner of 2019 JGPF) mentioned about Ilia's perfprmance at the Montreal Worlds in an article by Asahi-Shinbun, daily newspaper with one of the large readerships in Japan (the article is behind the paywall and in Japanese)

The MVP should be given to Malinin. His performance got stuck in my head so much so that I want to watch the footage over and over again. Even after finishing his free program, in which he jumped six quads, including a quad axel, I felt that he was strong enough to go through another free program. He didn't look the least bit tired after his performance. I would like to increase my run-through practices on the ice and improve my stamina.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

This is an interesting article from Bunshun and posted by Ilia Malinin Daily, commenting on observations while in performance as well as how he has been using weights on his wrists and ankles to improve his skating skills. He also comments on his relationship with his parents and his friendships with the Japanese skaters despite the language barrier, quints and next year's rule changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information