I, Tonya

HSCluv

It looks like June of '92. Kind of wish Tonya had taken advantage of that rule since 93 was such an off year. Although she still should have made it to Worlds in my opinion.

cmk

There were 2 reinstatement opportunies for pro skaters- 1994 and 1996. It was sometime late in 92/early 93. I do recall seeing Surya skate at one of the elgible international events (I don't remember which one) where the commentators were surprised that she didn't go pro to take advantage of that loophole. Boitano, Witt, and Zayak took advantage in 94. Josee and Midori reinstated for the 1996 season.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
If you genuinely think she didn't know, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Hmmmm I don't have an opinion either way about whether she knew about it or not and frankly I really don't care. And I think your comment is quite patronising. It was such a long time ago. She pleaded guilty to whatever she was charged with and did her punishment. But I find the amount of venom still surrounding this quite incredible.

That is not saying Tonya is a victim. My comments are directed about the way people carry on and how the media behaved back then which was really excessive and over the top. Even the way they hounded Nancy before the Olympics and then turned on her about some of her behaviour afterwards was really quite appalling.

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
What "ton of money" do you thing Tonya would have made in 1992? There was no highly lucrative pro scene at the time in 1992. What pro comps were there in 1992? Maybe 3? 4? and you get may be $10-20K appearance fees? Ice Capades? She's not making multi-million dollar money on that. Not even million dollar money. COI? That ain't million dollar money either, not in 1992. Could she have made a decent amount of money? Sure. "Ton of money"? In 1992 as a pro? Nope. Not even close.

I'm assuming she was hoping to make money from endorsements. Nancy had a bunch after the 1992 Olympics.

BaileyCatts

I do agree with that statement, but it also makes me laugh. What endorsements does Tonya really think she was going to get? Beer, cigarettes, and motor oil maybe? Her attitude, personality and behavior, even prior to 1994, were always going to keep her from getting high $$ endorsements, even after 1992 Olympics. The fact that she didn't get any, save for ... was it Texaco? ... kinda confirms that to me anyway.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I'm assuming she was hoping to make money from endorsements. Nancy had a bunch after the 1992 Olympics.
I think Tonya probably thought she was entitled to some of the money in the sport considering how much skating gained in popularity. Regardless of whether she was involved or not, you cannot deny that the incident was a catalyst.

Qualifier: Now just so there is no confusion and I am misinterpreted, I am only making a suggestion about an assumption. I do not support any particular side.

bardtoob

Maybe Tonya thought she was entitled to something because she was being hounded all day, everyday for awhile, including preventing her from leaving her house.

berthesghost

Maybe Tonya thought she was entitled to something because she was being hounded all day, everyday for awhile, including preventing her from leaving her house.
Or maybe Tonya thought she was entitled. Period. But she’s not Richard Jewell. She admitted to being involved and just because it was neither proven nor disproven to what extent she was involved, she did admit some culpability. Indeed, continues to admit to varying degrees of involvement as she continues to give many, many interviews on the subject over the years.

Inessence

After 4-5 years in exile, Tonya eventually started coaching and was even invited to an ESPN Pro Competition with skaters willing to share the ice with her. She also had a book deal in the works and was in talks with Ice Capades. The next year she hubcapped her boyfriend and was sentenced to jail and those opportunities dried up quickly. The skating boom was over a few years later.

VGThuy

Oh you know, the usual: Mirai had the support of a loving home and didn’t have to deal with a homewrecker rival whose mother wasn’t enlightened and had all the endorsements and love of the USFS even though Mirai was left off the team in 2014 and waited six seasons in-between her first and second to make her second and most recent Worlds appearance. Had Mirai helped cover a whack, I wonder if people would come out with all sorts of justification for it.

Tinami Amori

Had Mirai helped cover a whack, I wonder if people would come out with all sorts of justification for it.
we can try.... :D... Mirai was placed on a starvation diet by her coach and was eating Twinkies in secret... Mirai found a foto in the attic of her grand-parents during the raid on Hiroshima.... Mirai realized she will never be cast as "Queen Elizabeth on Ice".... :drama:

Inessence

Good for Mirai. Only took someone 26 years. Maybe Tonya should have held out for the 1992 Olympics to land a triple so Gillooly wouldn't have gotten his jealous panties in a twist and sucked the life out of her in 1991.

:D

cmk

I like Mirai and am glad she landed the 3axel at the Olympics. I wasn't happy when she got left off the Olympic team in 2014 so they could send Wagner even though Mirai finished 3rd to Ashley's 4th. I have even see Mirai live a few times at our local club show. Matt Blackmer started out there before he competed nationally and internationally in pairs and ice dance. I do believe he has retired though. Gracie Gold skated at it last year and was wonderful. It is too bad about her personal issues because I liked her too. I hope she is happy coaching.
Ashley isn't one of my favorites, and the la la program put me to sleep (so did the movie which was a disappointment because I thought it was going to be good and it sucked). I do think someone should skate to "This is Me" from the Greatest Showman ( a good musical about the life of pt barnum and his circus). I think that song would work better for Ashley than the la la land song .

berthesghost

“The bird lady”? Thank god the acting lady didn’t have to smoke! Now if “lady bird” wins best supporting actress, will it be the bird lady’s fault? :p

The real lavona would have told that bird lady where to go! :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I forgot to mention that one day at work someone was saying that they saw the movie and before the movie they were all "figure skating. pretty but meh" but after seeing the movie they realize how freaking hard it is and they have much more respect for figure skaters.

I thought that was an interesting and unexpected response to the movie.

cmk

“The bird lady”? Thank god the acting lady didn’t have to smoke! Now if “lady bird” wins best supporting actress, will it be the bird lady’s fault? :p

The real lavona would have told that bird lady where to go! :lol:
The real LaVona would of already had her own bird.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I haven't read this whole thread in full so apologies if anyone has said this already.
I really enjoyed the movie but I think Yamaguchi should have had more than the briefest of mentions and Ito should have had a mention too! Also it just seemed to skip 1993 Nationals when she didn’t make the world team.
Other than that I have no complaints! My friend who knows nothing about skating really enjoyed it and wants to watch it again :D

berthesghost

I haven't read this whole thread in full so apologies if anyone has said this already.
I really enjoyed the movie but I think Yamaguchi should have had more than the briefest of mentions and Ito should have had a mention too! Also it just seemed to skip 1993 Nationals when she didn’t make the world team.
Other than that I have no complaints! My friend who knows nothing about skating really enjoyed it and wants to watch it again :D
The movie could have been named "I, Tonya, Tonya, Tonya!" As other than the briefest of mention of Nancy almost in passing, the movie really only focuses on Tonya, I assume to heighten the "lone wolf goes up against the system" narrative the story was pushing.

Contextual characters never mentioned in the movie include:
Dorthy Hamil
Roz Sumners
Tiffany Chin
Debi Thomas
Jill Trenary
Midori Ito
Krist Yamaguchi
Surya Bonaly
Oksana Baiul
Yuka Sato

Users who are viewing this thread