Hurricane Harvey coming at Texas

skatesindreams

Thinking of everyone in the potential path.
The sheer size of the storm indicates that its' effects may be felt over a large area, for a considerable amount of time.

Stay safe, please.

Catherine M

This could be a catastrophic event since sooooo many people have not experienced a serious hurricane in the Corpus Cristi area--last one was 1970! Hopefully people are heading to higher ground and won't be stupid to ride it out as the storm surge is the main killer in land falling hurricanes.

And very nervous for family and friends in the greater Houston area as if Harvey meanders around south Texas like he is suppose to, flooding is going to be horrendous.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I too am thinking of those in Texas. It sounds like it will hit Corpus Christi. I read that people were loading up on water and food and putting up boards on their windows. Will it affect Houston, other than a lot of rain? I hope there are no floods and I hope everyone in the path of Harvey is safe.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just saw a headline about New Orleans being in danger. Oh no! Not again!

They are mentioning Houston and even San Antonio. That's very inland (San Antonio)- and Austin is not far from SA.

Last edited:

Amy L

Am in the way. I live only about 20 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico. Really not prepared for this, it was going closer to Corpus so no one here (south Houston area) was bothering to get prepared until today. I work in retail so I had 8 hours worth of viewing a Hunger Games-worthy fight over D batteries. All the local stores are out food and water and gas is in short supply. My store may be getting in an emergency truck of generators and fuel but accidents/traffic in Houston may delay it until Friday morning. People are literally planning on camping out in front of the store to get in line for the generators when/if the truck arrives. The D-battery fight is gonna be nothing in comparison.

We're all pretty much stuck down here and not ready at all. I was at work and my boyfriend has the flu so he wasn't able to go out and buy any food before the grocery stores ran out. Krogers and HEB are supposed to be sending trucks out of Dallas to make up for the short supply down here. The streets flood really fast even in thunderstorms so even if there are supplies available we may not be able to get to them anyways.

I'll update more later if I still have electricity!

wickedwitch

I have canned food for both me and my cat and plenty of water. I went yesterday after lunch and there was nothing but seltzer water and expensive peanut butter of those items. I bought them, along with some tuna fish. I have some canned vegetables too, but I don't know how they'll taste if I can't cook them.

The very gray silver lining is I have an excuse to eat all the yummy but somewhat unhealthy food in my freezer today.

Where I am, there's supposed to be lots and lots of rain, but nothing life threatening is being predicted. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Today they are saying it's a category 2 storm. Yesterday they said it was a category 3 Hurricane. Which one is it?

Good luck to Amy L. and all the others in the path of Harvey.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@Vash01, whether or not it's Category 2 or 3 is just part of the problem. The worst problem is that this hurricane is going to stall for several days, and places like Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi, Beaumont, Lake Charles, New Orleans and other areas will be flooded by 2 to 3 feet of water. The longer it stalls, the worse it will be.

So far, everything is okay where I live which is in DeSoto Parish. It's about 45 miles north of Natchitoches and 40 miles south of Shreveport. I'm hoping it doesn't come this far inland, and if it does, it will be sometime next week. The local weather man said we may get 3 to 5 inches which is nothing compared to what's happening in the those gulf coast areas. I'm praying that this hurricane doesn't end up like Hurricane Rita in 2005. My area received 85 mile per hour winds and there was a lot of power outages, floods and damage. I was an EMD for E-911 when that hurricane made it up that far to my hometown. I had never been so scared in my life and our emergency weather system went out on us. I had to call the meteorologist with our channel 12 news to get reports for our area. The meteorologist called us most of the day.

My prayers are for everyone in these areas. <3

Simone411

Here's a link to Storm Tracker 12 Weather in my area (the ArkLaTex).

http://www.ksla.com/weather

This is what it's stating right now:
Some outer bands of rain associated with Harvey will likely begin to affect the ArkLaTex over the weekend, but it will not be a washout. Mostly cloudy skies will help hold temperatures down into the low to mid 80s. Rain chances are around 30-40% this weekend.

We still won't be picking up significant rain Monday, but that will likely change Tuesday and Wednesday as possibly Tropical Storm Harvey tracks into Louisiana. The heaviest rain will likely fall across northwest Louisiana and portions of east Texas south of I-20. Some flooding will be possible in these areas. Much lower rain totals are expected across northeast Texas, southeast Oklahoma and portions of southwest Arkansas.

Keep checking back with us for updates on Harvey and expected impacts for the ArkLaTex.

StormTracker 12 Chief Meteorologist Jeff Castle

If you watch the video, Jeff Castle said that the worst case scenario for my area and the ArkLaTex could be around 5.8 inches of rain.

It looks like I may see my backyard turn into a pond again, but I've seen that happen many times! :lol:

Just editing. It's the meteorologist Ron Young that's commentating on the video. He's the meteorologist that I stayed in touch with during Hurricane Rita in 2005, and he's usually spot on.

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
I believe the category of the storm is determined by the level of wind, but for this storm, its the volume of rain that is highly concerning. Whether it's a 2 or a 3 or even a 1, a lot of rain is going to fall and that's the primary threat.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I hope everyone is able to weather the storm with minimal damage/disruption. Although it doesn't look like it.

I got an email from United Methodist Church making plans with flood kits and such.

Amy L

Work let us out as 5. Since we've been out of water and generators the only 'work' we were doing was answering the phones and telling people that we didn't have any of those things. Although I did get a call from a screaming customer about why her custom order carpet hadn't arrived, and no, lady -- deadlines are not deadlines when hurricanes are involved. Sheesh, even if trucks were running I wasn't gonna help with her f#@$! carpet anyways because why the frick would anyone need a 100 yard roll of carpet in a hurricane. Bitch.

So I'm at home now and I've still got power but no Internet connection. So I'm just gonna play games on my phone til the electricity goes out. I've got plenty of bottled water but almost no food so I might have to fight the cat for her meow mix.

Simone411

I just got a notice from my Weather Channel App that it's intensified to a Category 4 hurricane. I'm going to the store tomorrow to get a few necessities just in case it does end up pretty crazy here. Prayers for everyone here, and please stay safe. <3

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
According to CNN, they are asking people to write their names and social security numbers on their arms if they are not evacuating! We are fortunate in the UK not to have this kind of extreme weather, but a message like that really brings it home as to how serious this is

Last edited:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
I just got a notice from my Weather Channel App that it's intensified to a Category 4 hurricane. I'm going to the store tomorrow to get a few necessities just in case it does end up pretty crazy here. Prayers for everyone here, and please stay safe. <3

Work let us out as 5. Since we've been out of water and generators the only 'work' we were doing was answering the phones and telling people that we didn't have any of those things. Although I did get a call from a screaming customer about why her custom order carpet hadn't arrived, and no, lady -- deadlines are not deadlines when hurricanes are involved. Sheesh, even if trucks were running I wasn't gonna help with her f#@$! carpet anyways because why the frick would anyone need a 100 yard roll of carpet in a hurricane. Bitch.

So I'm at home now and I've still got power but no Internet connection. So I'm just gonna play games on my phone til the electricity goes out. I've got plenty of bottled water but almost no food so I might have to fight the cat for her meow mix.

Keep safe

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
That's standard procedure and unfortunately some of those that decided to "ride it out" are in very serious danger of not surviving.

Life or death decisions! Terrifying.

They are now predicting winds of up 145mph and "catastrophic" flooding

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information