Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

Someone who is more tecniq than me needs to explain how Jordan didn't win that Floor gold. :confused: It seemed like Jessica had a lot of step outs on her landings and little bobbles that I didn't see with Jordan.
Jordan's difficulty wasn't as high as Jessica's. I think both Jordan and Jade were both undermarked on execution compared to Jessica.

D

Deleted member 221

:blah: Ridiculous applause-o-meter judging for Gadirova, who should have been third at best. The British women have been massively overmarked throughout the whole championship. BS for all of these very subjective "artistry" deductions to allow for mistake-filled tumbling to win.

Sarah

Looking at the women’s floor exercise podium, how often is it that every athlete on the podium leaves with a gold on some event? Team, floor, AA, vault.

D

Deleted member 221

I thought it was the US' first gold on high bar in 43 years, not it's first ever.

You may be right; I'm repeating what the Eurosport commentators said. (ETA: yes, per Wikipedia, Kurt Thomas won in 1979.)

beckab81

Jessica is also less likely than Chiles and Carey to incur artistry deductions. She performs the whole time. Chiles is more on-focused-on-focused and Carey is still working on her expression.

But also, it is Britain.
Jessica also has fantastic leaps & turns, not really anyplace to take deductions there. I think she gets deducted primarily for her tumbling, but pretty much nothing else. I probably would have had Jordan one or two tenths higher, but this was a great podium!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Jessica Gadirova is an outstanding floor worker. Her tumbling is huge and in general her dance VP are very well executed. She had a D and E score advantage over Chiles. This result should not at all be controversial.

skatfan

Surprised we didn't see a single Amanar in the vault finals. I guess the Cheng is more valuable as a first vault, and Carey didn't need any more base value / risk on the second vault?
I think her base value was at least 0.4 higher, so no, she didn't need it.

Sarah

Jessica Gadirova is an outstanding floor worker. Her tumbling is huge and in general her dance VP are very well executed. She had a D and E score advantage over Chiles. This result should not at all be controversial.
I don’t actually have a problem with Jessica winning. I just found that some of the others were more harshly scored than she was. She’s clean, but not that clean. She lands forwards on some of her passes and isn’t deducted the way others are. Again, I’d have her first, I’d just have it closer if that makes sense? She does have a D score advantage.

Rob

Beach Bum
Gadirova‘s routine is chock full of choreography, albeit somewhat frenetic, but she’s got twice as many steps packed in as the others have. Jordan and Rebeca have choreography, less complex than Gadirovas but well executed. Jade has mostly arm-ography. Gadirova had the start value, but Jordan had the best tumbling execution I thought. Jade did have at least one pass with a shuffle landing, which is a big deduction. Not sure how start value wins FX but can’t win BB. Skye had a 1 pt fall and the same amount of other deductions (1.9) as Watanabe who had many more bobbles and balance checks than Skye had (other than the element leading to the fall). not that Skye should have won, but I thought Ellie Black was more solid than Watanabe and had the same start value. Odd result.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Finally caught up with all the events and wow what an emotional rollercoaster! I think that is the best world gymnastics I have ever watched! Good job Liverpool (my hubby’s former home). What great audiences and facility!
I was so happy for different athletes, our own Ellie Black and the Irish guy. So many tears and must admit I teared up as well.
I’ve only seen one live gymnastic event (Pan American games), I must go to more!

Loves_Shizuka

I didn't like Gadirova's routine AT ALL but I don't have the gym knowledge I used to, so what do I know.

Overall the "artistry" (and posture) in WAG is seriously lacking judging from the FX EF.

Very happy Andrade won the AA though.

bardtoob

Chiles' and Gadirova's should have been closer. I think Chiles had cleaner '"performance" but Gadirova used the floor better for what the judges are rewarding for execution. Jordan needs to use more than the corners when dancing, but I hope she continues doing dancing similar to what she already does because I like it.

Carey should have been on the podium because Rebecca gave it away.

mattiecat13

I can hardly watch Jade on the floor. She looks like she's sleepwalking. College gymnastics hasn't helped her artistic expression at all.

Debbie S

I can hardly watch Jade on the floor. She looks like she's sleepwalking. College gymnastics hasn't helped her artistic expression at all.
I see improvement compared to her FX at the Olys. She still has a ways to go but I see her moving better between elements and she is also making an effort to finish off moves and transitions. I think her music choice prob didn't help in the comparison to Jordan and Jessica....they had more 'get the crowd going' routines and Jade's was....quieter.

Rob

Beach Bum
I see improvement compared to her FX at the Olys. She still has a ways to go but I see her moving better between elements and she is also making an effort to finish off moves and transitions. I think her music choice prob didn't help in the comparison to Jordan and Jessica....they had more 'get the crowd going' routines and Jade's was....quieter.
I do see her trying to stretch out and use her arms and neck, but IMO, it rarely works when you take an athlete who is not artistic and give them a routine to dramatic or lyrical music. Popular songs and bouncy music seem to work better.

bardtoob

She does look like she is sleepwalking but I do think her movement is much more graceful than before, although you can tell she painfully worked at it.

I think college gymnastics has made her a less nervous competitor and made her appear more approachable (social) . . . but, yeah, it didn't bring out a fun and sassy floor routine or something like that.

mattiecat13

There is no "snap" in her movements at all and no expression on her face. I'm sure she's a nice young woman and works very hard but she's never improved in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information