Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Queen Simone still reigns!! :cheer:

Love this entire podium so much. So happy for Rebeca and Shilese! Sounds like there were some issues off and on throughout this event but that the top three were pretty awesome. I haven't been able to watch the last two events from Worlds yet due to work and previously made plans in the evenings but I'm gonna have a ton of fun catching up later this weekend. Bring on the event finals now! :cheer2:

Hedwig

Antique member
that there are still these silly hairbows in gymnastics like with Wong is so astonshing to me. It looks so incredibly childish :shuffle:

skatingguy

decently
that I read as well - but I wonder why or what precaution - she is not in any event finals either so it probably is some sort of injury.
"Jess felt some pain after her final training on vault in the warm-up hall before yesterday's all-around competition," a statement read. "Immediately the precautionary decision was made for her not to compete and she was attended to by the British Gymnastics medical team.

floskate

Vacant
Am I right in thinking that if Laurent had not been on the podium, and therefore the .5 neutral deduction would not have been taken, that Simone would have won? I know it's the code etc but to win a vault title with a fall wouldn't feel right at all.

skatingguy

decently
Am I right in thinking that if Laurent had not been on the podium, and therefore the .5 neutral deduction would not have been taken, that Simone would have won? I know it's the code etc but to win a vault title with a fall wouldn't feel right at all.
That looks right - would have won by .049.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Yes she would have by a slight margin. It's an ongoing debate about how much difficulty should allow you to outrank someone even with a fall. In 2013 they tried to change the way vault final scores were calculated but it didn't last.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I couldn’t watch gymnastics Wednesday, so I’ve been a day behind since then. Finally caught up last night. It’s been exciting everywhere!

Reading whole thread knowing the men’s result was interesting. It seems like Japan made the right choice for who to put in for AA. Did people’s thoughts change on that after the result?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Great job by Rhys to win. After all the shenanigans around his eligibility for the Commonwealth Games, it’s nice to see that he’s stuck with it.

Some may not be aware, but Rhys represents Northern Ireland in competitions where the individual UK countries compete. He was born and resides there. He and two teammates were denied entry to the last Comm Games because they had represented Ireland, not the UK, in other comps.

just tuned in

The homer-ism from the US commentators for Shilese on bars is killing me. Shi's handstands were loose and some of them almost went over, and her body was floppy during the catches. So please put a lid on it, Sam and John, about how she was underscored.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The homer-ism from the US commentators for Shilese on bars is killing me. Shi's handstands were loose and some of them almost went over. Her body was floppy during the catches, So please put a lid on it, Sam and John, about how she was underscored.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. She had a big fight on one of the handstands and Sam tried to say she was ‘almost showing off’

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I got up after 5 hours of sleep to watch finals. Rings is my least favorite, and I might go back to bed before it. lol.
Same. But there’s a crazy dash for the Oly spot, so I’ll stick with it to see how it pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information