Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Anyone watching this HOF recognition on Peacock? Did they blindside these folks or does no one dress respectfully for anything any more? (I’m getting old)

They had the official HOF ceremony the other day (I saw pictures on social media) so they were all much more dressed up for that event. I don't think this thing today was anything more than just introducing the HOF inductees to the rest of the crowd that may not have heard about them yet. Would have been hard for the Landis to change into something fancy that fast after coaching the senior women in their competition all afternoon, LOL :lol:

I didn't mind the competition coverage on night one when it was on Peacock (they seemed to show a lot of the routines) but man, the difference between Peacock for the first half hour and when NBC picked it up later on was DRASTIC. Suddenly we're seeing a thousand commercials and random shots of the gymnasts just standing around instead of seeing any of the other routines going on around them. Give the entire broadcast to Peacock if NBC just isn't going to show that much gymnastics. So annoying! :eek:

I am SO happy for Simone! She looks like she's having fun and truly enjoying being out on the competition floor again and she is SO articulate in her interviews. Such maturity and poise! Love her so much. :cheer:

I am super excited about the US men's world team (I was nervous about Paul Juda after those mistakes but he does fill some holes for the team overall and I'm SUPER excited to see him on an international stage...I am such a big fan of his!) and honestly, aside from Simone, Shilese, Leanne, and Skye (who should be locks at this point), that fifth person could be just about anyone at this point since no one has really stood out as an athlete who would fill the right holes on the women's team IMO. It will be interesting to see what happens with that team selection. :watch:

Sarah

I know Kaliya was hurt by her 9.9 on bars, but she still scored a 9.9 on bars… granted we don’t want a situation where we want Kaliya OR Josc on bars, but… it’ll be interesting to see how the teams form.

Jordan is another interesting one. She scores better nationally than internationally. I love her though. But it’ll be interesting to see how much she improves the next few weeks.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I know Kaliya was hurt by her 9.9 on bars, but she still scored a 9.9 on bars… granted we don’t want a situation where we want Kaliya OR Josc on bars, but… it’ll be interesting to see how the teams form.

Well, I guess the question is do you require 5 all arounders? USA Gymnastics has not in the past, but certainly it’s what you would do if you want the most insurance.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Insurance isn't just insurance, though, if it also has the benefit of taking pressure off of the top athletes.

Sarah

Well, I guess the question is do you require 5 all arounders? USA Gymnastics has not in the past, but certainly it’s what you would do if you want the most insurance.
I don’t think you do, but a lot of the posts have just been going through “what if something happens to gymnast a, b, or c…” just tossing out Kaliya’s bars (issue with Josc too). Honestly, don’t want to use either on bars.

Carolla5501

Did Samantha mix up Terry's alma mater? He went to NC State, not Florida. :lol:

Great job by Leanne on bars! Jade looked great on vault, not so much on floor, sigh.

Yes, but seemed par for the course on her commentary... Kind of clueless cute... But that's what NBC likes And compared to Figure skating Samantha is a superstar commentator LOL!

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I don’t think you do, but a lot of the posts have just been going through “what if something happens to gymnast a, b, or c…” just tossing out Kaliya’s bars (issue with Josc too). Honestly, don’t want to use either on bars.

I hadn’t mentioned bars because the top 4 are the top 4 on bars, so there are already 4 solid scores on bars.

Insurance isn't just insurance, though, if it also has the benefit of taking pressure off of the top athletes.

I’m not sure what you mean by that?

Aaron MB Fan

I’m not sure what you mean by that?
I interpreted the comment to be that insurance is important to have, but this has an even bigger benefit than insurance because the top athletes can breathe more easily/be less stressed knowing if anything were to happen (god forbid), the team will be safe and covered with alternates who can cover all event apparatuses. With peace of mind, this could help to lead them to perform better.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I just wanted to congratulate Simone on her victory. I watched last night on Peacock, and I'm so happy for her. She's come a long way, and to come back with the determination she had speaks volumes about her, her character and her true sportsmanship. Kudos, Simone. Job well done! :40beers::cheer2:

VGThuy

Just looking at the scores, I think the top 4 AAers have coverage on VT, UB, and BB (kind of), but there's a real gap on floor. And not to be all Marta about it, but beam has potential to be a hole for us too, but it always is for every team.

skatfan

Just looking at the scores, I think the top 4 AAers have coverage on VT, UB, and BB (kind of), but there's a real gap on floor. And not to be all Marta about it, but beam has potential to be a hole for us too, but it always is for every team.
I wonder if they’d take Suni just for beam.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Kaliya Lincoln really makes the most sense given her 2nd place on floor. However, Joscelyn Roberson really did well at US Classic. Sunisa for beam could happen. Should be between these 3 IMO... no Jordan, no Jade this time around.

pollyanna

From USAgym.org:

The World Championships/Pan American Games Selection Camp will take place in Katy, Texas, Sept. 18-21, where the rosters for the 2023 FIG Artistic World Championships and 2023 Pan American Games will be determined.

VGThuy

Does the U.S. Team still take one extra gymnast to Worlds and have all of the traveling gymnasts practice and do podium training (if allowed) and then choose which one will be the alternate like the day (or night) before qualifications?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Does the U.S. Team still take one extra gymnast to Worlds and have all of the traveling gymnasts practice and do podium training (if allowed) and then choose which one will be the alternate like the day (or night) before qualifications?
Yes lineups are due 24 hours before. 6 athletes may participate in podium training, the alternate can be on the floor with the team during the competition and last year they also got medals. They may also have in 2018 and 2019, I don’t remember

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I recall them airing the 2019 selection camp. You know, when they didn't take Morgan Hurd. A$$hats.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
They definitely streamed 2018 selection camp too. I remember seeing Biles debut her new vault there. It's probably still on USAG's youtube channel.

FiveRinger

Thank you guys for the updates. I probably didn't know because I wasn't about to pay to see it. I pay for more TV subscriptions than I can watch already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information