Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolla5501

So I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed that green dress disaster? 😨
I think she studied at the Johnny Weir school of fashion. . Several of her dress choices lately have been questionable but this and the combination of that hair she was channeling her inner Johnny Weir.
NBC needs to go back to some uniform and quit letting the talent dress like circus acts

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
British gymnastics fed is shameful.

For all the kvetching about the qualification process to the Olympics this year, one bright side is that everyone gets to do all around. For the US there will be no more drama about who gets to what event in prelims. All six, or five if Jade is on the team, will do all around.

Emma had a great night, I'm surprised they didn't show her (ETA: BEAM). Maybe they did and I missed it. Kind of ominous that the panel was so harsh on Kara's beam.

Has it been announced who's being invited to trials? Only the top eight all arounders automatically qualify to trials, but there are several outside of the top eight who are top five on a specific event. I think they should go to Trials as well. With it still possible for a positive crud test to knock somebody out at the wrong time they really need to be over inclusive right now.

Last edited:

just tuned in

I think she studied at the Johnny Weir school of fashion. . Several of her dress choices lately have been questionable but this and the combination of that hair she was channeling her inner Johnny Weir.
NBC needs to go back to some uniform and quit letting the talent dress like circus acts
Andrea looks MUCH better now that she is allowed to wear her own clothes. Ditto, Tim and Terry. They all look fine.

The problem is only Nastia and her collection of ill-fitting, shiny floor-length gowns slit to there, look-at-my-legs exhibitionism. And not to judge, but her knees are bony. Maybe she is trying to get an endorsement for the shoes?

canbelto

Nastia's gown seems to have been a sponsored thing:

Also: Nastia has a very lame IG.

millyskate

This team makes sense if Becky isn't going to be on it.
There are some serious politics at BG - I remember being in total shock when Jane Allen was on the Queen Honour's list but then this is the woman against whom athletes tried to complain and the sports minister of the time immediately jumped into defend.
There hasn't been a single "fair" Olympic women's team selection that I can remember and this just fits the trend.
All the best of of luck - Kinsella and Morgan really bring similar qualities to the team so it would have been almost impossible to choose between the two. This way, they are both on the team. It's just such a shame that it's at the expense of Becky.

mattiecat13

While Johnny's taste isn't my own, his outfits at least look thoughtfully put together and there is a "style" to them (though I'm not a fan of the pouffed up hair). Nastia looks like she's either going to a club (blue dress) or dressed for the wrong event (green dress). And her hair! :yikes::scream: I agree all three in the polo would be a better look.

just tuned in

Eighteen individuals were selected to the U.S. Senior Women’s National Team at the event’s conclusion and will advance to the U.S. Olympic Team Trials later in the month, and USA Gymnastics may name additional gymnasts:

• Simone Biles, Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre
  • Skye Blakely, Frisco, Texas/WOGA Gymnastics
  • Jade Carey, Phoenix, Ariz./Arizona Sunrays
  • Jordan Chiles, Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre
  • Kayla DiCello, Boyds, Md./Hill’s Gymnastics
  • Amari Drayton, Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre
  • Kara Eaker, Grain Valley, Mo./Great American Gymnastics Express
  • Addison Fatta, Wrightsville, Pa./Prestige Gymnastics
  • Shilese Jones, Westerville, Ohio/Future Gymnastics Academy
  • Emily Lee, Los Gatos, Calif./West Valley Gymnastics School
  • Sunisa Lee, St. Paul, Minn./Midwest Gymnastics Center
  • Emma Malabuyo, Flower Mound, Texas/Texas Dreams
  • Grace McCallum, Isanti, Minn./Twin City Twisters
  • Riley McCusker, Brielle, N.J./Arizona Sunrays
  • Zoe Miller, Spring, Texas, World Champions Centre
  • Ava Siegfeldt, Williamsburg, Va./World Class Gymnastics
  • MyKayla Skinner, Gilbert, Ariz./Desert Lights Gymnastics
  • Leanne Wong, Overland Park, Kan./Great American Gymnastics Express

ilovepaydays

Nastia's gown seems to have been a sponsored thing:

Also: Nastia has a very lame IG.

Her YouTube channel is lamer, believe it or now.

Ladies Qualified to Trials
Unless there are petitions, neither Laurie nor Morgan are going. Expected, but I'm still sad. Paris is only 3 years away. Both are fairly young, based on current standards. Maybe one or both will try again.

Is the Worlds later this year an option? Or does this mean that Tom is saying no to that too?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Glad FSU isn't losing its collective mind about Becky Downie not making the team the way twitter is. Becky is good, silver on bars in 2019 World and European Games is awesome, but her results have been very rough this year, of course we all feel terrible about her brother. Its worth noting that the ones selected also have some nice accomplishments. Jessica G. is 2021 European AA bronze medalist, vault silver, and floor gold. Amelie Morgan was 4th in AA and bronze on UB, and 4th in beam at 2021 Europeans, also silver in AA and floor and bronze on beam at 2018 Youth Olympics. Jennifer G. won silver on vault at 2019 Junior Worlds, and 4th AA at 2020 American Cup, winning Floor and Vault and 2nd on BB. Alice Kinsella won balance beam at 2019 Europeans, and won beam at 2018 Commonwealth games and 3rd AA there also.

millyskate

Glad FSU isn't losing its collective mind about Becky Downie not making the team the way twitter is. Becky is good, silver on bars in 2019 World and European Games is awesome, but her results have been very rough this year, of course we all feel terrible about her brother. Its worth noting that the ones selected also have some nice accomplishments. Jessica G. is 2021 European AA bronze medalist, vault silver, and floor gold. Amelie Morgan was 4th in AA and bronze on UB, and 4th in beam at 2021 Europeans, also silver in AA and floor and bronze on beam at 2018 Youth Olympics. Jennifer G. won silver on vault at 2019 Junior Worlds, and 4th AA at 2020 American Cup, winning Floor and Vault and 2nd on BB. Alice Kinsella won balance beam at 2019 Europeans, and won beam at 2018 Commonwealth games and 3rd AA there also.
All this is true, but it doesn't line up with BG's own selection criteria - and contrasts with their attitude towards the men's team.
Whilst all the other gymnasts are great, especially the Gadirovas, it's quite clear that neither Kinsella nor Morgan have a big chance of an Olympic EF, and even with multiple catastrophes from multiple opponents, it's hard to imagine how they could win an Olympic medal. The British Olympic criteria in general is very clear in terms of prioritising medal chances.
Jennifer Gadirova has also had a really poor season but we all know, including the selectors, she's capable of more so it makes sense to bring her as unlike Amelie and Alice, she does have an outside medal chance.

They needed to exclude Becky of the reserve list (!) as it was their only way of proving consistency with their "AA only" criteria. It creates a fairly absurd situation where Kelly Simm is a reserve, although the only competitive apparatus she has is UB... but not Becky.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
All this is true, but it doesn't line up with BG's own selection criteria - and contrasts with their attitude towards the men's team.
Whilst all the other gymnasts are great, especially the Gadirovas, it's quite clear that neither Kinsella nor Morgan have a big chance of an Olympic EF, and even with multiple catastrophes from multiple opponents, it's hard to imagine how they could win an Olympic medal. The British Olympic criteria in general is very clear in terms of prioritising medal chances.
Jennifer Gadirova has also had a really poor season but we all know, including the selectors, she's capable of more so it makes sense to bring her as unlike Amelie and Alice, she does have an outside medal chance.

They needed to exclude Becky of the reserve list (!) as it was their only way of proving consistency with their "AA only" criteria. It creates a fairly absurd situation where Kelly Simm is a reserve, although the only competitive apparatus she has is UB... but not Becky.
I agree kelly simm over Becky as an alternate seems insane. Feds often do a decent job naming the team and then show their true colors naming alternates. I feel this way about usfs sometimes

ilovepaydays

I hope the Olympics isn't just nonstop Simone cam. I want to see other gymnasts compete, not just Simone taping her ankles or adjusting her ponytail.

It probably will be. NBC wasn’t this obnoxious with Michael Phelps - granted U.S. has always had other stars/champions even though they may not have won as many gold medals as Phelps did.

millyskate

An extra issue emerging with the Becky Downie fiasco is that Becky apparently was not allowed to even pursue the individual qualification route as her scores were needed to qualify the team. I had been under the impression it was her choice but they essentially used her to qualify the team and then ditched her for the actual team - whilst preventing her from attempting to win an EF medal alone. It is quite possible that without Becky, GB would have failed to qualify a full team at all.
It seems particularly callous.

asdf334

An extra issue emerging with the Becky Downie fiasco is that Becky apparently was not allowed to even pursue the individual qualification route as her scores were needed to qualify the team. I had been under the impression it was her choice but they essentially used her to qualify the team and then ditched her for the actual team - whilst preventing her from attempting to win an EF medal alone. It is quite possible that without Becky, GB would have failed to qualify a full team at all.
It seems particularly callous.

I think that's more a consequence of the qualification rules than an outright attempt to screw Becky over. If you're trying to qualify a team for the Olympics via Worlds, there's no reason why you would want one of your strongest gymnasts to not be on each of your world teams, if you don't have the depth of the US or China. Also, if Becky didn't compete at 2018 or 2019 worlds that would have been throwing away two potential world medals (one actual).

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
A look at the top scorers this season on UB (not sure how much the National scores from the US, JPN, and CHN competitors will go down or not internationally)

USA
Sunisa Lee 15.3
Riley McCusker 15.1
Simone Biles 14.7

JPN
Hitomi Hatakeda 14.3
Mai Murakami 14.2

CHN
Fan Yilin 15.0
Li Shijia 14.7
Lu Yufei 14.6
(among others less likely to make the team scoring in same range)

RUS (at Europeans 2021)
Angelina Melnikova 14.6
Vladislava Urazova 14.5
Viktoria Listunova 14.3

(Nina Derwael at Worlds 2019 -15.2)

Others at Europeans 2021
Filipa Martins 14.2
Amelie Morgan 14.1
Jonna Adlertag 14.0
Giorgia Villa 14.0
(Becky Downie's highest UB score at the early season trials was 14.3- I forget what she scored at her own personal trial)

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

I hope the Olympics isn't just nonstop Simone cam. I want to see other gymnasts compete, not just Simone taping her ankles or adjusting her ponytail.

I don't understand the way they broadcast gymnastics at all. So example, I know NBC will show all the Americans at a Worlds, but once they are done with their set, why must we follow them around as they go to their chair, starting prepping for their next event, wrap their ankles, or even just sit there resting. There's 4 other events going on at the same time ... .show someone. ANYone.

FiveRinger

I don't understand the way they broadcast gymnastics at all. So example, I know NBC will show all the Americans at a Worlds, but once they are done with their set, why must we follow them around as they go to their chair, starting prepping for their next event, wrap their ankles, or even just sit there resting. There's 4 other events going on at the same time ... .show someone. ANYone.
I'll be making use of my vpn....hopefully getting come British coverage or something.....and I'll DVR the US coverage because it will take 3 years before we're able to see any of it on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information