Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

However, as far as I know, Shannon has never complained of abuse.
Agreed. I'm not specifically talking about abuse re Nunno, just that he was a piece of work. He appeared submissive, ineffective and powerless, basically hamstrung, whenever he was in the presence of B&M, but still showboating when the cameras were rolling, etc. Of course, many coaches did that. Some were just more obvious and obnoxious than others.

asdf334

Where are we with one-touch warm-ups these days? When did they get rid of them and did they reinstate them? If so, when?

They first disappeared completely with the 2001-2004 cycle. They've been back with the exception of event finals since at least 2012, but can't remember exactly when.

Bellanca

More often than not, I have appreciated Svetlana's willingness to be a blunt and matter-of-fact voice for the sport over the years. However, for those bravely speaking out against the abuse of the USA gymnasts, their intentions have never been about seeking fame or attention. Come on now, Svetlana, you should know better. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous and incredibly shortsighted. Khorkina's interview is effed up. 🙄

ETA: facts are crucial to possess; it saves from certain embarrassment, later on. ;)

ETA: it is not surprising that Svetlana would conclude that widespread claims of abuse are simply fame-seeking, attention-getting maneuvering, but it is disappointing, nonetheless.

Last edited:

canbelto

That interview is awful. But unfortunately, I think it might be indicative of a "whatever happens to you, suck it up" mentality prevalent in elite gymnastics coaching. And I used to think maybe it was an Eastern bloc mentality but now looking at the accusations from gymnasts around the world it seems more like a universal elite gymnastics training problem.

mattiecat13

My friend and I are considering attending the Olympic Trials next year in St. Louis. How long are the sessions per day and does one need to buy an all event ticket? Does that cover both men's and women's competition? What if we just want to go to the women's competition? We've never attended a gymnastics competition so any other information you all can share would be helpful and much appreciated. Thank you!

xxibjt

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread as it involves Rhythmic gymnastics but Natalia Godunko who was a Ukrainian Rhythmic gymnast (who competed alongside Anna Bessonva) just made a youtube video with English subs talking about her experience (and others) being on the Ukrainian national team and the abusive environment they had to endure. It's heartbreaking and eyeopening to say the least.

Rob

Beach Bum
I feel like those of us in fields like ballet or gymnastics who were indoctrinated into the culture of abuse from a very young age simply became de-sensitized to it. We were fed and ate the lines that it was all tough love and we had to be knocked down to build ourselves up and not everybody was cut out for this so you had to be the toughest while also being the thinnest, etc. A lot of us bought into it; if we survived it, we were the best of the best. It was a badge of honor, not shame. Was it right? NO! Does it mean it should continue? NO! If you don't wake up to the fact that it was abusive, you can perpetuate it if you are now a coach, teacher, parent. This is time to wake up, easier said than done though -- look at all the successful gymnasts who needed time to realize that Nassar's physical abuse was not medical treatment; many have spoken on how hard it was. No one wants to realize they were a victim. Whether physical or verbal abuse, it messes with perceptions.

VGThuy

Hurd training a Moors:

Is it me or is the form absolutely gorgeous on it? If we have a Tokyo Olympics, I think the extra year is helping Hurd a lot.

FiveRinger

Hurd training a Moors:

Is it me or is the form absolutely gorgeous on it? If we have a Tokyo Olympics, I think the extra year is helping Hurd a lot.
Absolutely. Missing out on Worlds might have been a blessing. It relieved some pressure and made her hungry. She looks like she really enjoys it now. I'm happy for her.

Bellanca

When (sports) life gives you lemons, make lemonade. The best-case scenario is to be that gymnast.

I agree that Hurd appears to be benefiting from the postponement.

ETA: I am not too surprised by this. When thinking about the Olympics and should they happen, I have reasoned that Hurd would be the least affected by it. 🤔 Or the least relatively unscathed. This might be a blessing in disguise for her in a convoluted sort of way.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
For gymnasts who have the means, the “lay-off” is better than sliced bread. Comforts of home. Set your own schedule. Train responsibly, including taking days off when needed. Slowly add new skills. Who needs a federation or central “management”?

Bellanca

For gymnasts who have the means, the “lay-off” is better than sliced bread. Comforts of home. Set your schedule. Train responsibly, including taking days off when needed. Slowly add new skills. Who needs a federation or central “management”?
Exactly. This is an epiphany moment for USAG that gymnasts are completely capable of responsible, productive training and managing their schedules without overlords dictating how, when, and where -- thank you very much.

ETA: put these iron-fisted wannabes out of work. I hope the gymnasts are enjoying their newfound freedoms and independence—a nice change from all the BS.

Last edited:

VGThuy

If you aren’t following Memmel’s comeback you should. In this week’s video she did an Amanar into the pit

Olympians and World champions really are a different breed. Everything was so impressive. I almost forgot how much power Chellsie had as a gymnast. I love her final comments about being sad about the fact so many gymnasts on the elite level did not have positive experiences and how she wants to show a way you can succeed at that level and have a positive trajectory and actually enjoy it. She really loves gymnastics.

Bellanca

Chellsie is amazing! I have been rooting for her since day one -- one of my all-time favorite gymnasts. Chellsie's positive attitude, love, and dedication to the sport are what make it easy to be a fan. Chellsie's comeback and her voice are precisely what the sport needs right now. She is always genuine, always the real deal. I have enormous admiration for Chellsie and applaud her goal and desire to bring back a positive experience to elite gymnastics.

ETA: thanks for the updates and links.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I wonder if all her years as a judge will also help her when she's constructing and working on skills/routines since she knows what judges are going to ding and what they "should" ding.

floskate

Vacant
If you aren’t following Memmel’s comeback you should. In this week’s video she did an Amanar into the pit

This literally makes my Sunday every single week. She is THE best thing to happen to gymnastics in 2020!

FiveRinger

Andreea Raducan Documentary

There is a new documentary following Andreea Raducan and her quest to have the AA gold medal she won at the 2000 Sydney Olympics returned to her. Personally, they should just delete the entire competition from the books. The entire women's event was a travesty. I'm being facetious, but it was horrible from the word go. The documentary will be available through multiple outlets starting on September 1. It looks like Nadia has some involvement. Apparently, she discouraged Raducan initially. I can't wait to see.

snoopyskater

Memmel bringing the piked Arabian to the high beam

Did you notice what appears to be a film crew in the back? I wonder if the network that will air the Olympic trials considers her having a legitimate shot at making the team or at least considers her a great human interest fluff piece so they are putting together footage already.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I think it’s just whoever they have filming the clips they use for her YouTube channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information