Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveRinger

Who is responsible for placing values on elements? I wonder what Jessica and Co on Gymcastic have to say about this. Spencer is probably going to tie it to some long-held, decades old grudge against the U S for something Bela did a lifetime ago. I can’t wait to hear about it...lol

FiveRinger

And here are the medals!

Thoughts? Personally, I’d prefer the ribbons be the same color & design. Also, it’d be kinda weird to win a medal at World Championships and when you show it off, people go “You were the blue/pink medalist?” :lol:
They’re pretty, but they don’t look appropriate for a world championships. They look like participant prizes at a kiddie meet.

semillon27

I think that’s reasonable. She’s unlikely to significantly outscore Jade on vault or floor. Her bars routine wouldn’t contribute that much unless she’s recently gotten her form together.

She hasn’t gotten her form together on bars. Her podium training routine was a mess. Lots of difficulty but terrible form. Kudos to her for how far she’s come in just a few months of being back in elite, but this is the right decision. It never made sense to have Carey and Skinner on the same team.

FiveRinger

I think that’s reasonable. She’s unlikely to significantly outscore Jade on vault or floor. Her bars routine wouldn’t contribute that much unless she’s recently gotten her form together.
I see Jade and MyKayla as being pretty interchangeable, so I'm not surprised by this. But Skinner has had a very successful season, so still a lot for her to be proud of.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I just hope that Sam Mikulak doesn’t end up leaving it at podium training.......

I just gave up on him since last year's worlds. So I wont have any expectations about him performing great preliminaries but just coming short again and again and again when it counts.

Though I would love if he proves me wrong. But for now I don't expect anything :D

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
J

Jeschke

Cheers from Stuttgart :40beers:
It's my hometown and the city/organizing team does a great job advertising the event.

There is a big screen in the city center where all events are broadcasted.
Lots of parcours and stuff to do there. Not totally gymnast-specific, but it works perfectly getting people's attention!

Last edited by a moderator:

annie720

I just gave up on him since last year's worlds. So I wont have any expectations about him performing great preliminaries but just coming short again and again and again when it counts.

Though I would love if he proves me wrong. But for now I don't expect anything :D

Oh, Sammmm! I saw him live at the Rocky Mtn Open last winter and couldn't take my eyes off him. He hit every routine that night and looked mighty fine doing it. Even when he doesn't live up to expectations, he still looks fine. :D

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
In Canada does anyone know if DAZN is showing all the live gymnastics? I get that service for the footie and someone said they are showing it? FYI it’s also free for 30 days if interested

the DAZN website doesn't show any gymnastics coverage in their tv schedule

CBC has been showing gymnastics worlds for severall years so I guess they will do it again

4rkidz

the DAZN website doesn't show any gymnastics coverage in their tv schedule

CBC has been showing gymnastics worlds for severall years so I guess they will do it again
Yes not Dazn in Canada but in other countries and CBC just showing finals and I wanted to watch the qualifying . So any links would be great

J

Jeschke

In Germany it's broadcasted via livestream here:

The streams are always top-notch, so if someone has a decent VPN, go for it.

4rkidz

In Germany it's broadcasted via livestream here:

The streams are always top-notch, so if someone has a decent VPN, go for it.
Oh you are so lucky!! Can’t get that here in Canada but I shall continue my search thanks

D

Deleted member 40371

After 5 rotations (7 more rotations to go) and 10 full teams competing, Romanian WAG is 8th, there is no way they are qualifying a full team for 2020 games. I am not sure this is a surprise, but finishing behind both North and South Korea is somewhat shocking. I am not sure they are in any position to qualify any athletes through this world championships, they may need continental spots next year to qualify individual athletes.

rhapsody

After 5 rotations (7 more rotations to go) and 10 full teams competing, Romanian WAG is 8th, there is no way they are qualifying a full team for 2020 games. I am not sure this is a surprise, but finishing behind both North and South Korea is somewhat shocking. I am not sure they are in any position to qualify any athletes through this world championships, they may need continental spots next year to qualify individual athletes.

If they don't qualify an individual through the AA here, they will not qualify any athletes at all.

After these Worlds the only way to get spots at the Olympics is to be 1st/2nd at Event World Cups or All-Around World Cups or be 1st/2nd at Europeans. They don't have athletes now or coming up who are good enough to finish that high up.

FiveRinger

Is there a way to watch BBC World Championship coverage in the states? I'm determined to avoid Tim and Nastia.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Holbura will very likely qualify for Romania.

It's going to be difficult for Chusovitina to qualify. She is on the bubble for the vault final and her AA score is not that good.

Erin

Banned Member

It's going to be difficult for Chusovitina to qualify. She is on the bubble for the vault final and her AA score is not that good.

I am putting her chances at about 50-50 now or maybe better. I expect most of the event final spots to be reallocated to AA spots plus Japan’s host spot, so there could be around 30 AA spots in total. She is 18th now in the Olympic qualification standings. I have a list of about 17 people/countries left to compete in contention for the spot, but a couple of them are real wild cards and I think there are a few more she should be able to beat.

Maybe I’m in denial because I can’t imagine a summer Olympics without Chuso. Her first Olympics was the first one I ever watched!

D

Deleted member 40371

Rules state that countries that have qualified a full team will not be able to qualify athletes through the top 12 20 AA spots. This rules out the USA, Russia and China as they have qualified full team from the last world championships.

From today's qualifier, it looks that France, Canada, Germany and Belgium are likely to qualify a full team, Australia is in the bubble and will likely miss out. Japan, Italy, GBR, Netherlands, Switzerland, Brazil, Spain, ARG, MEX and Hungary are all trying to qualify a full team tomorrow. The above-bolded teams are all in with a strong case for one of nine spots left to fill. I am not even sure Belgium has done enough to qualify if all teams do well.

So, if we exclude 12 teams (assuming SUI and AUS are the unlucky teams). The top 20 AAs from today's are likely to be Godwin (AUS), Varinska(UKR), Lee Yunseo(KOR), Dausa Francis (JAM), Kim Suo Jeong(PRK), Aneta Holosova (CZE), Marcia Videaux( CUB) 8) Holdura(ROM). If 13 individual athletes go ahead of Holdura then she will be out. For sure, one Switzerland athlete will qualify and likely Popa (ESP) will go ahead. If scores start to be liberal then Holdura could have a problem. I initially thought both men and women only had 12 AA spots, but it seems men have 12 and women have 20 AA spots.

ETA: Japan's host spot and bazillion event spots should increase AA spot as Erin mention. I believe they should have stuck to event spot to event athletes.

ETA: likely will need Triparte spot ;). I am sure IOC and FIG have some ageist rule that will prevent her from getting the spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information