Great skaters who never made a world team

aussieSKATES

I was fortunate enough to attend the 1994 US Championships in Detroit, and a week later, the 1994 Canadian Championships in Edmonton.

One skater who really caught my attention was Tanya Bingert. She had huge jumps which carried a great deal of distance, and her short program from the event is a personal favourite.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/SGPkJBPLmd8

Winnipeg

Actually, I recall reading an article that referenced an American ladies skater who was identified as being great with lots of potential but then was in a car wreck and the injuries precluded her advancement

gk_891

I was fortunate enough to attend the 1994 US Championships in Detroit, and a week later, the 1994 Canadian Championships in Edmonton.

One skater who really caught my attention was Tanya Bingert. She had huge jumps which carried a great deal of distance, and her short program from the event is a personal favourite.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/SGPkJBPLmd8

I once read that Bingert finished 3rd at the 1992 Canadian nationals, just missing out on an Olympic and World spot. But apparently she, Chouinard, and Preston all split the first place ordinals. Tough way to lose out that way.

falling_dance

Coaching Patrick
^ Best? I dunno. Favorite? Maria Stavitskaia.

Actually, I recall reading an article that referenced an American ladies skater who was identified as being great with lots of potential but then was in a car wreck and the injuries precluded her advancement

Jill Sawyer, the 1978 World Junior Champion.

Sandy Lenz was a wonderful stylist who placed in the top ten at Lake Placid but never received a World team assignment.

Cleo1782

Rohene Ward didn't even make the team ever IIRC.
Rohene never even made the top 10 at nationals in Senior......

ETA-Agnes Zawadski was 3rd at Nationals for a few years when we had two spots and once we got 3 she never made a team. Not my favorite, but kind of a bummer. Also it's a shame Caroline Zhang never made a world team with her young promise. There is honestly so many.......

Cleo1782

I know the article you are talking about. Carlo said she would have won Worlds and the Olympics. She was the most talented skater that never was. Very interesting story.
Cindy Bortz was another talented US Junior World Champion who went nowhere after growing. I also like Jeri Campbell and more recently Katy Taylor and Christina Gao.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Rohene Ward didn't even make the team ever IIRC.

Rohene's highest finish was 14th and only competed internationally one time. I think a lot of people will remember that there was a lot of press around him at 2006 Nationals (or at least ABC/ESPN) and I believe the story was that his family couldn't afford to attend the event, someone pitched in and they were able to see the LP, and he had a huge meltdown that dropped him from the top 10 to last place. The details may not be exact, but I remember the skate.

Glad to see he's so successful these days.

ETA: Actually - here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eck09NPwYjk

Cleo1782

Rohene's highest finish was 14th and only competed internationally one time. I think a lot of people will remember that there was a lot of press around him at 2006 Nationals (or at least ABC/ESPN) and I believe the story was that his family couldn't afford to attend the event, someone pitched in and they were able to see the LP, and he had a huge meltdown that dropped him from the top 10 to last place. The details may not be exact, but I remember the skate.

Glad to see he's so successful these days.

ETA: Actually - here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eck09NPwYjk

I was there. I remember that clearly. He looked so good in practice. There was always so much buzz around him. I remember thinking he could legitimately contend for at least a top 6 spot, but his meltdowns were pretty epic.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Alexander Shubin is another World Junior Champion who has never made the Senior team.
I don't think Adian Pitkeev has been to Worlds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information