Great skaters who never made a world team

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I was going to say Jill Frost. Being from the Northeast, she never got the benefit of USFS politics.

RockTheTassel

I'll second the person who said Agnes Zawadzki. She had consistency issues, but her triple Lutz was one of the best in the business at the time, and in general her jumps were giant and gorgeous when landed. It's unfortunate that the two times she placed third at nationals were years when there wasn't a third spot.

Areski

I'll second the person who said Agnes Zawadzki. She had consistency issues, but her triple Lutz was one of the best in the business at the time, and in general her jumps were giant and gorgeous when landed. It's unfortunate that the two times she placed third at nationals were years when there wasn't a third spot.
It was a shame, she was a great skater and her family had to make lots of sacrifices to facilitate the best training possible for her. She was not exactly well-off unlike some other US skaters in much more favourable position.

Cleo1782

It was a shame, she was a great skater and her family had to make lots of sacrifices to facilitate the best training possible for her. She was not exactly well-off unlike some other US skaters in much more favourable position.

Yeah, I think I was the first one to mention her (not sure). She was never my favorite skater, but when she hit she was very good. I always felt bad that she was an 'almost' girl like Gao. Both of those two girls probably would have a solid chance to make the Olympics now with their content if they were skating. It most be so difficult to have your family make all these sacrifices knowing you are pretty much a lock for that 3rd world spot, only to bomb. I think she went on to cruise ships, so I hope she is happy.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Justin Pekarek ( Jr. world champ ice dance with Jamie Silverstein). I don't think they went to Senior worlds. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ryan Omeara skated with Jamie in the Olympics but didn't go to worlds.

By the same token Jamie didn't go to senior worlds if the above statements are correct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19433

Justin Pekarek ( Jr. world champ ice dance with Jamie Silverstein). I do t think they went to Senior worlds. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ryan Omeara skated with Jamie in the Olympics but didn't go to worlds.

By the same token Jamie didn't go to senior worlds if the above statements are correct.

Silverstein & Pekarek did compete at worlds in 2000 (finishing 12th).

screech

Tanja Bingert for sure and Ben Ferreira. I really liked them both
Ben went to 3 worlds (00, 02, 04) and placed 19, 15, 13 (respectively).

IIRC 2004 was the year Jeff Buttle missed the spot for Worlds, because he was still recovering from the food poisoning that made him withdraw from the GPF. I believe some people had wanted Jeff to get the spot over Ben, but Ben rightfully earned it (coming 2nd at Canadians).

coppertop1

Forgive me for bumping a dormant thread but here are some that come to mind.

Liam Firus: An odd case. He did earn his spot at Nationals(3rd in 2014, 2nd in 2016) still never got to go. He didn't have the TES in 2014, and in 2016 he gave his spot to Nam (still confused about that, was that him or Skate Canada? It was an odd decision)

Putnam/Wirtz: They seemed to be locked in third in the post-SLC/pre-Torino quadrennial when Canada was sending two pairs.

Lesley Hawker: She was a stronger skater overall than Mira Leung, but lacked Leung's consistency and finished third most of time behind Leung.

Jayson Denomee, Fedor Andreev.
Ben was one of those unfortunate men cursed with Rod Black's 'The Next One' syndrome.

Yep. That's why I'm not calling Gogolev "The Next One". Don't curse him! I worry about Alysa Liu falling victim to this.

clairecloutier

I know the article you are talking about. Carlo said she would have won Worlds and the Olympics. She was the most talented skater that never was. Very interesting story.
Cindy Bortz was another talented US Junior World Champion who went nowhere after growing. I also like Jeri Campbell and more recently Katy Taylor and Christina Gao.

Christina Gao is probably my favorite U.S. ladies skater in recent years who never made the World team. It's such a shame because she definitely had the talent, but it never quite came together. I had such high hopes for her at 2014 Natls and am still disappointed it didn't happen.

Other names that come to mind would be Samantha Cesario, Alex Johnson, and Tim Dolensky. I'm sure there are more.

Rock2

Can't think of many in Canada outside of Tanya Bingert. There are other names that have been mentioned (e.g. Denommee) but Bingert's short in 1994 nationals would have made world top 10 for sure. Hard to ignore one of the biggest 3Z in the world at the time. So to me she would have unlike others been successful at world's and not just making it.

Nothing much coming to me from outside of Canada except US ladies where there have been a ton. Too bad we lost Cindy Bortz after winning junior world's in 1987. Liang, Anne-Patrice, there are tons already mentioned. My shoutout goes to Jessica Mills. Would have loved to see what this program would have scored had she gone clean. I remember loving it at the time....and still do!

SkateGuard

Can't think of many in Canada outside of Tanya Bingert.

Agree with you about Tanya Bingert, but two other skaters that come to mind are Cheri and Dennis Pinner - Canadian pairs champions in 1977. The CFSA decided to send Sherri Baier and Dennis Cowan, who had won the previous season's World Junior Championships, to that year's Worlds. The frustrated Pinner's retired.

coppertop1

Mai Asad (Mao's sister).

is it too soon to add Yuna Shiraiwa? I would normally not count out young skaters but for the incredible depth of the Japanese Ladies. Same with so many young Russians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information