Gracie Gold withdraws from U.S. Nationals

Amantide

I am really sorry for her, although it was not unexpected. She is by far the most gifted USA female skater in the recent years. I am glad she has decided to take care of herself though. I wish her all the best.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm glad she's putting herself first. It was long overdue.

Not to be pendatic, but does this mean she was entered by virtue of a bye from her Olympic Team Medal?
To answer your pedantic question, yes.
Anyone know how to send a letter to Gracie? Does she have an address?
@Meoima, I recommend you write to her c/o U.S. Figure Skating: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84141
Or her agent: http://figureskatersonline.com/graciegold/contact/

Sylvia

TBD
Kaetlyn Osmond and Meagan Duhamel were asked at Skate Canada International about Gracie in this article by The Canadian Press' Lori Ewing: Canadian skaters Osmond, Duhamel praise American star Gracie Gold for putting health first

ETA:

I did a quick search online to see which media outlets covered Gracie's story on Nov. 17-18 and the list includes:

Today.com
Los Angeles Times
USA TODAY
PEOPLE.com
Chicago Tribune (via Associated Press article)
The Mercury News
TeamUSA.org
OlympicTalk (blog)
Daily Mail
Cosmopolitan.com
WDIV ClickOnDetroit (linked in post #1 of this thread)
Brit + Co
The News International
Just Jared Jr.
The Inquisitr
Insidethegames.biz

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Re-posting here from the U.S. Ladies thread:

I do like seeing all the support she is receiving on Twitter in general, as well as to that insensitive tweet.
IMO, her response lacked dignity.
P.S. only I have the power to "f*ck me up", no one else. Especially not some "boy"
She stooped right down to this jerk's level....Just like Mr. Trump does....and is rightfully criticized for. I am so surprised that she is not "banned" (for lack of a better work) from Social Media as part of her recovery.

antmanb

Same standard.

So when you were whining about everyone attacking Trump for his tweets and you defended him, that was the same standard?

Also did you even read the tweet that you quoted. Do you see the quotation marks? That's these things " " (since you often are unable to comprehend the most basic of things) she was quoting what he said back to him.

AYS

🌻
IMO, her response lacked dignity. She stooped right down to this jerk's level....Just like Mr. Trump does....and is rightfully criticized for. I am so surprised that she is not "banned" (for lack of a better work) from Social Media as part of her recovery.
I believe you completely missed the sense of her post. I don't think that original post deserved to be dignified with a response, but she responded with complete dignity. The bit in quotes was what the OP said, in case you misunderstood that, and her answer was right on. She is taking control of her own health.

Good for her.

Barbara Manatee

A random man offers a woman an unsolicited opinion on her body. He proclaims that a woman's self-worth must depend on what men think of her. She uses his own words to stand up against that dangerous, damaging, unwanted intrusion. Then others chime in to say hush, be quiet, be polite, be dignified. Be ladylike.

I'm with Gracie - **** that shit.

Teamgracie

Wow, what is wrong with some folks? They posted things like glad she is getting help, etc as if they supported her and now the second she utters a word they are right back to pouncing on her. Really, even now? The word for that is .....

What she is going through is tough and very painful, she is incredibly courageous. All my love to Gracie, you are a champion in so very many ways!!

Tinami Amori

A random man offers a woman an unsolicited opinion on her body. He proclaims that a woman's self-worth must depend on what men think of her. She uses his own words to stand up against that dangerous, damaging, unwanted intrusion. Then others chime in to say hush, be quiet, be polite, be dignified. Be ladylike.

I am too with Gracie (and Trump! his tweets are spot on!)

Women should not be more restricted than men to use harsh language and fight physically. **** that double standard shit!

AxelAnnie

I believe you completely missed the sense of her post. I don't think that original post deserved to be dignified with a response, but she responded with complete dignity. The bit in quotes was what the OP said, in case you misunderstood that, and her answer was right on. She is taking control of her own health.

Good for her.
I understand that she was using what someone else said. By quoting that obnoxious post (from the guy) she gave him both credence and power.

VGThuy

I find that playing nice and being respectful can sometimes be incredibly ineffective. Gracie had a bigger point to make and I applaud her for making it. It is nothing like Trump's tweets at all. Really, if the use of profanity is your biggest issue, then I think it might simply be a difference about ideas about whether we need to be "nice" and "polite" and "appropriate".

AxelAnnie

I am saying.....ignore, ignore, ignore.
Would anyone out there recommend that ANY skater (especially one who is fragile) join in the conversations here? I wouldn't think so. That guy did not deserve IMO the dignity of a response.

VGThuy

I think once a while, trolls should be put in their place. Not for the benefit of the troll, but the benefit of the skater and those who may be reading and could learn something. If Gracie starts responding to every little Tweet to the point where it becomes a compulsion and is unhealthy for her, then I would worry, but she only responded to one asshole tweet and reading her response was amazing.

Tinami Amori

That guy did not deserve IMO the dignity of a response.
I do support such approach, in general, but not in all situations. In some situations a "punch" requires a "contra-punch". If one is surrounded by people of his/her own class and level, and yet someone says something auslanderish, then it's best to remain "elegant".

But in today's world, on social media especially, when one is exposed to people from "all walks of life" who feel empowered to make comments without consequences, it's best "to use a baseball bat against a baseball bat". Elegant behavior can't stand up to a "baseball bat" (figuratively speaking).

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
IMO, her response lacked dignity. She stooped right down to this jerk's level....Just like Mr. Trump does....and is rightfully criticized for. I am so surprised that she is not "banned" (for lack of a better work) from Social Media as part of her recovery.

Sexist, disgusting pig makes vile remark about a woman on social media. Woman replies with a perfectly-worded smackdown.

AxelAnnie attacks the woman.

Of course. The sky is blue, grass is green, etc, etc, etc...

Tinami Amori

I've re-read the "rude poster's" tweet.. it sounds nasty, so are the rest of his tweets on other issues. But..... i think in a clumsy way "he" was trying to tell her that "her body is fine. many girls would die to have the same"... :lol:

He also describes himself as "Professinal, Lawyer, LGBTQ advocate, Future US Senator, Future SecState, and leader. "... :D

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I've re-read the "rude poster's" tweet.. it sounds nasty, so are the rest of his tweets on other issues. But..... i think in a clumsy way "he" was trying to tell her that "her body is fine. many girls would die to have the same"... :lol:

No. Don't defend what he said. It wasn't a compliment. It was disgusting.

floskate

Vacant
Reading some of these posts I just shake my head in dismay. :( When did Gracie Gold ever, EVER shut down a social media post about her? Never! And as soon as she does she's criticized for it. I'm hoping that this is part of her recovery and that she's realising that she is allowed to speak up for herself when she feels the need to do so! More power to her. She's a skater not the Queen FFS! :rolleyes:

And Trump's tweets are spot on? That's the fakest news I ever did hear on this board. :blah: x infinity......

Amantide

He also describes himself as "Professinal, Lawyer, LGBTQ advocate, Future US Senator, Future SecState, and leader. "... :D

That's what I thought too. Although I didn't check his profile. But I really thought he was trying to give her a compliment, in a very fecked up way. lol But he might have been a real jerk instead. Trying to disguise an insult with a "compliment", idk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information