Gracie Gold set to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatfan

I don't know if you're replying to me, but i don't recall addressing mental illness or the rest of the conditions you list.
Eating disorder is usually a choice, the other conditions you are listing are much less in control or often out of control of a person.

Eating disorders are mental disorders in the DSM-V - which is the bible in the United States on mental health. Y An eating disorder is all about control. It is inappropriate control of what one eats, and is related to a whole panoply of situations and psychological issues. They can lead to death. One does not choose to have an eating disorder any more than other addictions.

Here's a link for more information.

Z

ZilphaK

yes...... unless someone cuts off their food supply, makes them vomit, holds a gun to their heads, or takes their puppies hostage, yes.... it is THEIR CHOICE. The NORMAL response to recognizing that one does not or thinks that he does not have what it takes, is to say to yourself any of the following: i don't have what it takes, will try something else. i am going to lower my expectations and do it for fun. i am going to continue to see if i can adjust something else by healthy means to compensate what i maybe lacking. i don't give a shite what others predict for me and keep on trying as i am.

Making a choice to mutilate oneself is NOT NORMAL and not society's fault. People have brains, they should use them..Like my grand father said "if 10 people decide to jump of a 10-story roof, will you also be an idiot to join them?".

Take "Cinderella" story, the original mythological one, not the "Disney happy one".
- There is only 1 glass slipper. It is a certain size, VERY SMALL.
- Every maiden in the country wants to become Princess, but only one can become one IF HER FOOT FITS THE SLIPPER.
- Many maidens try on the slipper, it does not fit, and they take it off, and live on.
- But the Evil Sisters want it so bad, that they CUT OFF THEIR TOES to fit it, and still don't fit it.
Are you sorry for them for their idiotic solution? now they don't have toes... Bad Prince?

What do you propose for a prince to do? to make it equal for all, to satisfy each maidens dream? Surely not make 100 slippers of different size and have a harem?... or do you think he should, make every girl's dream come true?.. :lol:

I am going to type this out. And I will count to 100. And then I am going to block you.

Mental illness can happen to anyone, at any time.

From National Eating Disorders website, "while no one knows for sure what causes eating disorders, a growing consensus suggests that it is a range of biological, psychological, and sociocultural factors."

This means that eating disorders are triggered by both internal and external factors, often a combination. The triggers are not the same for everyone. Eating disorders do not manifest the same in any two people.

That is the consensus of scientific research and studies, and stands in direct opposition to contrary opinions based on anecdote, a simplified view of human psychology and physiology, and pure lack of compassion.

Eating disorders are not a choice that can be turned on or off at will. They are not a weakness. They are not the result of poor parenting or bad advice or lack of discipline or inability to face the realities of life.

Even with intensive therapies and hospital care, people suffering with eating disorders -- and who very much do not want to have an eating disorder and who work very hard to "beat" it -- still do die.

That the large numbers of people with eating disorders are women has much to do with the absolute crap women are fed every single day, from every corner, their entire lives, telling them who they should be, what they should look like, and how they can measure themselves as worthwhile and desirable based upon an infinite and impossible set of unattainable metrics.

And especially in this highly-competitive, highly-rigorous sport, a sport that give us all so much joy even in our grousing and griping, the very bare minimum we can give back is in not voicing despicable attitudes that directly harm the very young men and women who give us so much joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinami Amori

I am going to type this out. And I will count to 100. And then I am going to block you.

Mental illness can happen to anyone, at any time.

:D that's fine..... but what does it have to do with my post about "eating disorder".
No logic.. glad you can count to 100... :D

just tuned in

Eating disorders are classified as mental illnesses. There is no logical "choice" involved. The factors that would cause a young woman or man to starve themselves, throw up their food, or practice other forms of disordered eating are psychological and cumulative. To say anyone would "choose" to destroy their health and well-being is ludicrous.

I think we need to separate depression from eating disorders. While depression is not a choice, I do think that some forms of disordered eating are a choice.

I was bulimic in college and into my young adulthood. It was very common for those of us in gymnastics, and I was not an elite performer. One of my coaches in college used to say that ice cream tastes as good coming up as it does going down. I do not think I had any depression or mental illness associated with my desire not to be "fat." I forced myself to throw up after a big meal or late meal, and I was fine with it. Eventually I got tired of doing that and stopped.

I don't like people saying that Gracie was "brave" to return to competition, or that folks are proud of her. She does show grit, a good trait.

Tinami Amori

I think we need to separate depression from eating disorders. While depression is not a choice, I do think that some forms of disordered eating are a choice.
Exactly. When a healthy functioning athlete starts to vomit or to drink powders, it is a choice, at least at the start.

VGThuy

I do think we probably should continue the ED discussion elsewhere as I don't think it's proper to take over the Gracie thread with this sort of discussion. I also think maybe some of the disagreement is coming from some posts that are sort of guessing what "causes" or "triggers" EDs in context with fearing for Gracie's reaction to her SP in Rostelecom. I think @PDilemma had a fantastic post some pages ago about the complexity of EDs as well as other posters who contributed their stories. I think it's a brave thing for people to talk about their personal experiences with EDs and I commend them for it.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Are you being purposefully obtuse or are you just an idiot? Eating disorders are a mental illness in all relevant classifications, none of which include your uninformed, toxic garbage.
It may become one, but it does not start as one. It starts with misplaced insecurity and lack of confidence and wanting to look like someone you can't look like, instead of accepting yourself and find what's good about you.

It's the same as having multiple and badly done surgeries.. So let's shut down Hollywood.... they all do it, and girls want to look like movie stars... :D
http://www.bad-plastic-surgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Awful-Plastic-Surgery.jpg

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Not quite. If I am buying a ticket for an event, I fully expect the people advertised to be there will be there. I also expect a certain level of proficiency by the participants. That is what I paid for, and that is what I deserve to see.

You don't go to too many Broadway shows, do you?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Oh My Bad - USFSA monitors them.
Under certain circumstances: during Champs Camp and when they assign a skater to a team, like they did Michelle Kwan, who had to be monitored. IIRC, Flatt violated a USFS rule by competing at Worlds knowing she was injured and not disclosing it beforehand; a disclosure would have triggered a monitoring situation. But USFS has a vested interest in Worlds, because the number of spots depends on placement, whereas for GP, that is not the case.

However, for GP, unless they have a policy that hasn't been made public, they haven't monitored comeback skaters or split couples before submitting them for the initial selection or before GP season/their GP to monitor readiness. Nor have I seen that they use Champs Camp to determine whether to monitor any skaters for GP, although they may have and not made it public.

The Feds can refuse to submit names for selection, even if the skaters/teams earn them, and they can withdraw them by contacting the hosts, with or without the skaters' input. The Russian Fed does this pretty regularly, especially when a skater is not performing at test skates, or when the effectively "retired" Sokolova, and the last time Sandhu earned a spot, Skate Canada did not submit his name. If I were USFS, I would have a monitoring standard for split couples and comeback skaters, but my cynical side thinks that, because GP spots are earned by and for individuals, they might not to avoid potential legal action.

Willin

@AngieNikodinovLove I doubt it. When Gracie and Taylor Swift hung out it was the era in which Taylor Swift's marketing machine was building up her "squad" by having her hang out with just about every single even mildly relevant late teen/early 20-something girl. The latest I've seen was a 2017 interview with Teen Vogue where she said they only hung out a few times, all of which happened during that squad-building time period. While they got along, it seems like it wasn't one of those things that turned into a close friendship.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I recall USFSA pulled Kimmie Meissner from a GP event. The rumor was that she didn't have 3z or 3f but had lower triples.She and Callaghan spoke out about it, but the decision was final.

I'm not sure what mechanism allowed them to monitor her in that situation.

Tinami Amori

Gracie Gold also befriended Nicole Kidman....
https://previews.agefotostock.com/p...64839bcf907b2e1b3be91642/plx-32565-013hnw.jpg

Everybody wants to be a star.... so few are inspired to become Einstein or Kopernik... and then they pay for it. Because with knowledge of Einstein and Kopernik one can work till they are 90 and nobody cares how fat they are..

If for every foto of Kidman there was a foto of Kopernik in the magazines, maybe fewer girls would want to look like Kidman.

puglover

Eating disorders are very serious business and they can, and do, kill. They often begin very innocently with a plan to eliminate certain high calorie foods and exercise more. These steps reap positive results and are often complimented by others. Many of those most susceptible to eating disorders tend to be perfectionistic, demanding of themselves, like to feel in control. One of my closest friends has come very close to losing her only daughter to this, my daughter-in-law has a niece that became gravely ill at 12, one of my daughter's closest equestrian friends lost years of her young adult life to an eating disorder. In 2018, let's show understanding and compassion. These illnesses are extremely tricky and very terrifying.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Thank you to those who posted ACCURATE information on the class of mental illnesses known as eating disorders.

Eating disorders are THE most deadly mental illness. (It's possible that, with the opioid crisis in the US, addictions have now surpassed them.) Anorexia alone kills 3 times more people than clinical depression. Electrolyte imbalances from EDs can cause seizures and cardiac arrest. Similar to addictions, eating disorders can rewire brain pathways and the way that neurotransmitters work, meaning that NO, it is not a choice to continue an ED, and that recovery is often difficult. And EDs don't just happen to rich white girls; they affect people of all races, sizes, socioeconomic status, religion, sexual or gender orientation, you name it. Resource: Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness. @Tinami Amori PLEASE read up on eating disorders so that you know the facts.

blue_idealist

Even if a person did choose to have an eating disorder (and I don't believe it's fully a choice... not eating is a choice, but the psychological factors that get you to that point often are not), no one should be helping fuel it by making negative comments about their weight.

UGG

But, but, but.. can't i claim mental illness due to constant attacks by Americans on my Russian people? what if all that is said is demoralizing? and damaging? and i just can't help myself? what? no compassion? :rofl: Is there a criteria what causes "mental illness" and what is justified when one becomes irresponsible with words, actions, etc?

If you feel you are mentally ill, the best thing to do is get help. If posts o ln this website are affecting your day to day life then I think you should.

To answer your question: yes. There is a criteria for mental illness. It has to be diagnosed by a Psychiatrist, however it is based on symptoms. There is no blood test or genetic test. A person can’t just say they have mental illness. Why would anyone even do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information