Gracie Gold set to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Just because she doesn't look like what you think an elite figure skater should look like doesn't mean she can't be an elite figure skater. Maybe she will get thinner as she gets fitter. Maybe she won't. It doesn't mean she can't be competitive.

Rock2

To be honest, the fact that she withdrew makes me think she won't be at Nationals, because she must know that she's not going to be able to be where she wants to be in two months or so.

Agree. Nationals is a ton of pressure and a media circus. Given where she is now, I can't see her being much more ready in two months (physically, never mind the mental challenge of that environment) unless she does some dysfunctional things, which of course would not be recommended. Based on her tweets, I would have to assume that realization won't hit her until the event becomes imminent.

So, it's likely time to look ahead to next year. By the summer, we will know if this will continue to be baby steps to work her way back or if this comeback mirrors the one of Weir, as she dips her toe in the waters of a comeback and then re-assesses how long the road may be and her desire to travel on it.

I wish her well.

S

SmallFairy

I heart diving, as it's a sport where you can be competitive on the highest level (olympic finals) in a whole lot of different shapes and sizes. (And it's a judged sport, with less textiles than most others). It's so refreshing.

UGG

People are being so judgy. Like seriously who’s life did Gracie ruin by trying to compete here? Who “should have” been here in her place? Who cares if a 2x US Champion and Olympian attempted to skate in a GP event in order to get a bye to nationals? Who wouldn’t do that? It’s seriously not a big deal.

puglover

Eating disorders and elite competitive figure skating are both extremely exacting taskmasters. Together they are dynamite, along with the scrutiny of international competition as a third culprit. There are no quick fixes for an eating disorder and most often the tendencies are life-long. They can also have life-long consequences for a young woman including fragile bones and problems conceiving children. They are also illnesses of perception, the mind sees something that is not actually true. I watched an interview with Kiira Korpi, widely viewed as the most beautiful of female skaters, and she alludes to much unhappiness about her weight. I sincerely hope Gracie has good professionals working with her and that whatever she decides, it is for her long term good. It takes great courage to put on a tiny skating dress and go out there, facing down puberty and body changes, lining up with girls posing as women, handling your own and others expectations. May we, as fans, be kind to Gracie and all these young people who make themselves so very vulnerable!!

kalle

Oh Gracie, I so wish she would have taken more time before stepping back on the competetive circuit again.
I really admire her strength and motivation but I cannot help feeling her coaches should have put things in perspective and drawn a comeback plan targeting next season.
I am sure this was a bittersweet moment for her but ultimately, I hope she will remember that feeling stepping on the ice again after all this time away and all the supportive fans that cheered for her.
I am positive Gracie will work hard to continue improving but after all what is important in the end of the day is her health and personal happiness.

Tinami Amori

Just wondering what Gold and her team were thinking as she definitely does not seem to be ready for any competitions at this moment or in near future.
At this time, i am thinking the same. Why did she do it when she knew what condition she is in realistically? It is an expense to her, to USFS, RFSF, and to the organizing committee (paying for transportation, hotels, administrative, visas, and many less obvious costs). I did not expect her to medal, but expected a decent content in the programme and a performance with at least "basic minimums".

When she came out to practice this past Wed., she was clearly out of shape, but again i thought that she managed to regain her own, at least basic, technical content (basic meaning several triples, 2A, and 3x2 jump combos and spins).

What took place in SP is really not acceptable, even if she created good sentiments for many fans and people who sympathetic to her in general. I then though maybe it was her only chance to get to Nationals, she legally has the GP spot and using it, which is ok.. Or that it is a publicity stunt, to write a book or do some kind of "educational video on fighting her issues", or a "comeback story".

Now that she stated her reason for withdraw, i don't think she acted very responsibly... She consumed resources given to her in expectation of at least 2 minimum content performances (unless injury), and did not produce and knew in advance that she can't... Seems like she decided "lets see if this event helps me somehow with my mental state" and when it did not she left... That's not what GP events are for...

Rock2

I heart diving, as it's a sport where you can be competitive on the highest level (olympic finals) in a whole lot of different shapes and sizes. (And it's a judged sport, with less textiles than most others). It's so refreshing.

ehhhh, somewhat.
You have to be either extremely narrow to rotate quickly or if you have a less petite or sinewy body type you have to be athletic as all get out, with tons of core and other strength to crank.

Skating is the same, as is gymnastics, I believe. You can be successful with varying body types and weights, but the weight you do carry with you has to be contributing to the outcome, not hindering it.

That's a more general comment rather than any kind of analysis about Gracie.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
People are being so judgy. Like seriously who’s life did Gracie ruin by trying to compete here? Who “should have” been here in her place? Who cares if a 2x US Champion and Olympian attempted to skate in a GP event in order to get a bye to nationals? Who wouldn’t do that? It’s seriously not a big deal.

Some here expected to see the "old Gracie," and nothing else is acceptable. After all, we can't expect them to waste their precious time watching someone not skate to their expectations, now can we???? How rude of us!!!

As someone who has lost a lot of time and skills with some health issues and the wrong skates for me over the last two years, my heart goes out to Gracie. Very glad some of the critics and experts here don't see me skating now, they'd likely happily provide me with a complete list of reasons why I'm wasting my time and money on the ice. Also very glad that I have patient coaches and found a really good pro who want me to succeed at whatever level I can achieve (or re-achieve) at almost 61. And I plan to keep Gracie in my mind as inspiration. Especially for those days when nothing goes right. And to remind me that one outing does not define what one can ultimately achieve on the long road back. I'll be rooting for Gracie to do the best she can and to be happy. Period. Not to mention for a few people here to get the skate blade or whatever they have up their ass out once in a while and maybe look at things with a compassionate instead of ultra-critical eye.

And for the record, I don't exactly think her getting a bye to Nationals is exactly keeping the next Michelle Kwan from competing there in 2019.

D

Deleted member 53443

It is against my principles to kick on someone lying down and clearly she needs support. It's not unreasonable to say though that this Moscow trip was ill-advised. To just pretend all is fine and bathe in sympathy is not the best way forward. Competitions are brutal beasts and honestly Nationals will have a lot more media attention than this competition. Something has to change in approach, and since I don't know her or what she is going through I can't say. I just hope she and people around her learn from this and think rational, not emotional. She needs smart people around her right now.

wickedwitch

:fragile:

Recovering from mental illness is incredibly tough. It's not like breaking a leg where there's a fairly set recovery period and then you do physical therapy for weeks/months if needed. I was so worried that this GP was too much too soon. Not from a skating perspective because plenty of good skaters have had lousy competitions, but from a mental perspective. Gracie has little experience doing this poorly at an event. It would be hard for someone even with great mental health to handle.

centerpt1

Wow at the negativity here. Getting to the GP was planned months ago-neither Gracie or her coaches could know where she'd be in her training. She's got her triples back in practice-but not in competition. She's getting there. It's a long haul. She is a very talented skater with great athletic ability, and a newfound interest in the artistic side of skating. At 23, she shouldn't look like a starved 14 year old waif. I hope she is working with a dietician so that her diet supports her training needs and building back muscle strength.

I wish ladies skating was limited to ladies of 17 and up.

Gracie has so much talent and potential. I hope she is able to keep going and make a successful comeback. I think we need to be patient and not hope for overnight success-it's unrealistic.

skatfan

Wow at the negativity here. Getting to the GP was planned months ago-neither Gracie or her coaches could know where she'd be in her training. She's got her triples back in practice-but not in competition. She's getting there. It's a long haul. ...

Gracie has so much talent and potential. I hope she is able to keep going and make a successful comeback. I think we need to be patient and not hope for overnight success-it's unrealistic.

I think most of the posters know how long it takes, that’s why folks were concerned about her first competition being at a Grand Prix event. None of us are privy to why this choice was made, rather than having her wait to start competing next year.

For a competitor who struggled with the mental side of the sport, and is in recovery for physical/mental issues, this seemed rushed to me. How many times when she was in top shape did she blow jumps that were easy in practice?

Now I hope that lasting damage hasn’t been done.

BittyBug

Disgusted
It is against my principles to kick on someone lying down and clearly she needs support. It's not unreasonable to say though that this Moscow trip was ill-advised. To just pretend all is fine and bathe in sympathy is not the best way forward. Competitions are brutal beasts and honestly Nationals will have a lot more media attention than this competition. Something has to change in approach, and since I don't know her or what she is going through I can't say. I just hope she and people around her learn from this and think rational, not emotional. She needs smart people around her right now.
The smartest person around Gracie right now is Gracie herself. Anyone who watched that interview that got pulled saw an amazingly emotionally insightful and mature young woman.

Eating disorders thrive in secrecy; there is a tremendous amount of shame involved. That Gracie was able to haul herself out of the ice in her current condition to me was a big middle finger to her issues. I saw that as a young woman who was going to tackle her demons head on, and not be afraid to fail at first.

EDs are all about control and perfection. For Gracie to put herself in a situation in which she was so clearly not in control and so visibly exposed at the same time suggests to me that she has the capacity to fully recover. And whether this trip was ill-advised cannot be known yet. If it becomes defeating, then yes, it may have been ill-advised. But if it becomes the catalyst for Gracie to continue with her training, free of the mental anguish that she endured previously in her quest for nothing less than perfection, then this trip may very well prove to be the most successful competition in which she has yet participated.

ETA: Also from Gracie's pulled interview: "Leap and the net will appear." She talked about needing to move forward without certainty yet without fear of failure. Yeah, she clearly wasn't ready for this comp. But she didn't withdraw beforehand out of fear of failure. She put herself out there anyway. How many of us would have done the same?

mjb52

I think we've all had times when we envisioned what we hoped would happen rather than what was likely to happen. In particular, not to "blame society," but there are so many narratives in American pop culture of overcoming adversity and triumphing and dramatic and inspirational comebacks that I wonder if that also feeds into a slightly idealized view of what was possible here. I am sure this will be a learning experience for Gracie and her team.

wickedwitch

I think we've all had times when we envisioned what we hoped would happen rather than what was likely to happen. In particular, not to "blame society," but there are so many narratives in American pop culture of overcoming adversity and triumphing and dramatic and inspirational comebacks that I wonder if that also feeds into a slightly idealized view of what was possible here. I am sure this will be a learning experience for Gracie and her team.
This is especially true in sports, where athletes are almost always praised for competing with an injury. Obviously it's great to persevere and overcome difficulties, but the attitude in sports where athletes are not only supported but celebrated for competing when they aren't in the proper shape is toxic. Frankly, it's braver to acknowledge that you aren't ready for competition when you desperately want to be than ignoring your body/mind and competing anyhow.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
To be honest, the fact that she withdrew makes me think she won't be at Nationals, because she must know that she's not going to be able to be where she wants to be in two months or so. I

USFSA doesn't like a withdrawal. Look at what happened to Ashley when she withdrew with a foot infection at last year skate America. They were not kind (or transparent) at nationals.

Carolla5501

Personally I I still Think the Federation partially responsible for the mess Gracie is in. So they still need to sit in the corner with their mouth shut.

It’s not like she’s going to make the world team anyway. And Ashley’s problem was she didn’t state that well all season. Ashley didn’t put out a body of work that USFA felt made her deserving of a spot on the team and neither is Gracie. So both of them will be staying home.

But honestly if the only qualification to be able to skate was that you were capable of going to worlds, I’m watching a lot of other US skaters who probably should not ever get to go anywhere. And I certainly wouldn’t tell any of those young ladies that should they get invited to some event they should turn it down because people on this board think they’re not good enough.

wickedwitch

It’s not like she’s going to make the world team anyway. And Ashley’s problem was she didn’t state that well all season. Ashley didn’t put out a body of work that USFA felt made her deserving of a spot on the team and neither is Gracie. So both of them will be staying home.
Ashley had a bronze medal on the GP, which was better than anyone not named Bradie had done going into Nats. So let's not make up crap about Ashley in some misguided attempt to "support" Gracie.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Very glad some of the critics and experts here don't see me skating now, they'd likely happily provide me with a complete list of reasons why I'm wasting my time and money on the ice.
The key words are "your time and money"...;) But if one accepts a responsibility of appearing and performing at a commercial event, which has a certain minimum of expectations for the performer, and that person knows in advance that realistically he/she can not meet these expectations, then he/she is spending others' time and money without delivering the minimum expected.

ISU has criteria, tech minimums which each skater should qualify in before he/she can skate in any major events, GP is one of them. The last deadline to withdraw from a GP event (outside of emergency or injury) is 2 weeks ahead of the event.

Gracie maybe dealing with issues, but she is not insane not to have known 2 weeks before this GP that she does NOT have the minimum content expected in this level of competition. I don't know what was in her head, but she certainly was thinking of "what's good for her", and not the obligations she accepted when agreed to attend.

In plane terms: she accepted a contract knowing in advance that she can't comply with it. She wasted "others money and time" and took up a spot which could be used for a more ready skater.

ETA: Also from Gracie's pulled interview: "Leap and the net will appear."
That's an awful and an irresponsible phrase, unless it ends with "and if the net does not appear, i have the means to deal with the consequences of my fall".. :D

She leaped alright into this GP... Organizers bought her tickets, paid for her hotel, spent administrative and operational resources on her.... and yet she knew it would take a miracle for her to have a minimum decent skate.. But she did it anyway, because it's good for her issues, without thinking what it costs others.

Last edited:

vesperholly

Except there is no way to compare scores at sectionals to an A list international event.
Scores at Sectionals are probably lower than at a GP, where the overall standard of skating is much higher. So if anything, it's an easier ask to beat the lowest qualifying score.

Gracie wouldn't have qualified out of any Sectional skating like she did, so she's very lucky to have this opportunity to get a bye to Nationals. Her Rostelecom SP would have put her in 12th place at Pacific Coasts, 15th at Easterns and 14th at Midwesterns.

I do agree that skaters should skate both programs to earn the bye, at the very least.

Carolla5501

Scores at Sectionals are probably lower than at a GP, where the overall standard of skating is much higher. So if anything, it's an easier ask to beat the lowest qualifying score.

Gracie wouldn't have qualified out of any Sectional skating like she did, so she's very lucky to have this opportunity to get a bye to Nationals. Her Rostelecom SP would have put her in 12th place at Pacific Coasts, 15th at Easterns and 14th at Midwesterns.

I do agree that skaters should skate both programs to earn the bye, at the very least.

We’re back to the skater falls and bangs her head into the boards and has a concussion. But under your scenario she would have to skate, Even if it can result in long-term injury because otherwise she wouldn’t get a bye. Be careful what you wish for

It’s hardly the end of the world out of a couple of people show up in Detroit that maybe shouldn’t be there.

Last edited:

giselle23

USFSA doesn't like a withdrawal. Look at what happened to Ashley when she withdrew with a foot infection at last year skate America. They were not kind (or transparent) at nationals.

Ashley withdrew in the middle of her long program. I think Gracie's situation is different. I would think USFSA would prefer that she not skate until she can make a credible showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information