Gracie Gold set to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

@Coco was on to something. Did you have good instincts or did you know something more going into this competition?

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
It appears she w/d since her name is no longer on the FS roster. Too bad. I feel so badly for her, after seeing her reaction to her scores. Maybe this step was too premature for her. I hope it doesn't send her into a bad depression.

Teamgracie

Oh no, I love her fs music and wanted to see it even if she did single jumps. But if it was best for her then that is what matters. I hope she is okay. More worried than ever and just feel sad. Miss you gracie!

mtnskater

Hooked up NBC Sports Gold just in time to watch Gracie only to see that she was not warming up. :confused: I have mixed feelings as a big Gracie fan. She clearly was not elite ladies competition ready in the short program. I did think the judges were harsh in giving her negative grades of execution on most elements though. I hope she will continue to train hard and try another competition soon. Will her withdrawal jeopardize her bye at Nationals?

D

Deleted member 221

I think it's a bit unfair that showing up at a Grand Prix, admittedly untrained, and skating a short program is enough to earn a bye to Nationals. I guess she's not taking a spot away from anyone, but I'm not sure she'd make it through Regionals much less Sectionals.

I'd be fine with the USFS requiring skaters to skate both programs at their international event, and needing to score higher than the lowest qualifier from Sectionals, in order to get a bye to Nationals.

carriecmu0503

I think it's a bit unfair that showing up at a Grand Prix, admittedly untrained, and skating a short program is enough to earn a bye to Nationals. I guess she's not taking a spot away from anyone, but I'm not sure she'd make it through Regionals much less Sectionals.

I'd be fine with the USFS requiring skaters to skate both programs at their international event, and needing to score higher than the lowest qualifier from Sectionals, in order to get a bye to Nationals.

Except there is no way to compare scores at sectionals to an A list international event.

LarrySK8

I'm surprised some of her Program Component scores were so low. Three of the judges, including the US judge, gave her a 5.75 for SS.

She deserved those scores. Slow. Lacking powerful stroking. Labored spins. Footwork looked like she was skating through peanut butter. Low levels. A shadow of her former self, if that.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@Coco was on to something. Did you have good instincts or did you know something more going into this competition?

I didn't have a clue, I just assumed that it was a possibility based on not having triples in August.

When I asked that, I just wanted to see her at Nationals. Now, I'm not so sure. She didn't look like someone who was just happy to be there. She looked like she wants to recapture her past abilities and she's disheartened by her current lack of competitiveness. I have mad respect for her for trying to compete again but toughness and bravery need to be paired with some sensible steps. Especially in someone with a recent history of self harming behaviors.

VGThuy

I didn't have a clue, I just assumed that it was a possibility based on not having triples in August.

When I asked that, I just wanted to see her at Nationals. Now, I'm not so sure. She didn't look like someone who was just happy to be there. She looked like she wants to recapture her past abilities and she's disheartened by her current lack of competitiveness. I have mad respect for her for trying to compete again but toughness and bravery need to be paired with some sensible steps. Especially in someone with a recent history of self harming behaviors.

I think you articulated exactly how I have been feeling.

D

Deleted member 221

I don't think it's cruel; it's factual. Someone questioned why Gold had such low PCS; someone else replied with a factual analysis of why she did. (I agree, and if anything, I thought her scores were generous. Someone without an international reputation would've likely scored lower.)

Maximillian

RIP TA
To be honest, the fact that she withdrew makes me think she won't be at Nationals, because she must know that she's not going to be able to be where she wants to be in two months or so. If she's doing this all as one last hurrah (which I don't think she is), than I could see her trying to get/keep the Bye, but if she's serious about being top-level again, than I think we won't see her until Spring or Summer comps.

clairecloutier

Great comeback story: Perform a disastrous SP at a GP event in Russia, looking severely overweight and withdrawing before the FS.

Make 'Murica great again.

WTF.

To publicly call out someone who's recently been treated for an eating disorder by calling her "severely overweight" is just cruel and totally insensitive.

And why would you bring Trump's stupid slogan into this post? What does that have to do with Gracie Gold's situation?

Last edited:

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
If Gracie was an Olympic level skier or speed skater we'd be impressed with her body and marvel at the size of her legs. With her good looks she'd probably even be a sponsor's dream. Gracie just doesn't have the body for elite figure skating anymore. In person I'm sure she looks gorgeous in regular clothes. Reality bites, sometimes, and I can not see her continuing to subject herself to (valid) scrutiny over her body, nor do I want to.

PDilemma

WTF.

To publicly call out someone who's recently been treated for an eating disorder by calling her "severely overweight" is just cruel and totally insensitive.

And why would you bring Trump's stupid slogans into this post? What does that have to do with Gracie Gold's situation?

The post is absolutely inappropriate. But words don't cause eating disorders. If it were that simple, then words could cure them, too.

Gracie in her tweet from 20 minutes ago does acknowledge that she is not in top physical condition yet. That doesn't necessarily mean weight; my sense is that she needs more muscle and endurance than she has right now.

IloveFS

I don't think it's cruel; it's factual. Someone questioned why Gold had such low PCS; someone else replied with a factual analysis of why she did. (I agree, and if anything, I thought her scores were generous. Someone without an international reputation would've likely scored lower.)
No Louis it is cruel in my opinion. Show some compassion and empathy!

Sylvia

TBD
Gracie in her tweet from 20 minutes ago does acknowledge that she is not in top physical condition yet.
https://twitter.com/GraceEGold/status/1063856260154617862
I’m heartbroken to withdraw from tonight’s free skate. It was a difficult decision to make, but ultimately I need to put my mental health first and focus on the big picture. Looking forward, I need to keep improving both my physical and mental condition...(part 1)
I thought checking into treatment last fall was the most difficult thing I’ve ever done, but skating my short program last night might have topped it. I do not want to undo the tremendous progress I’ve made in these last few months (part 2)
Thanks for sticking with me ❤️

Jaana

Just wondering what Gold and her team were thinking as she definitely does not seem to be ready for any competitions at this moment or in near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information