Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

skategal

Bunny mama
Do you have any favourite SC product(s)? Or anything that was a dud for you?
I haven’t tried much but I did have a liquid lipstick from them that I loved which is rare because I normally hate liquid lipstick.

I hear their blushes are great and so are their makeup tools (brushes, sponges etc).

I got my Sephora order in the mail today. Yippee.

Desperado

My Sephora Collection order came in yesterday. The eyeliners (chocolate brown and teal green) are nice. The lipgloss (Berry go round) and lipliner work well together, but I find them a bit pale for me. The satin lipstick (Never Enough) feels a bit drying and I’m also not sold on the colour.

I’m having a heck of a time finding a proper lip colour now that my hair is mostly silver. It’s bad because it’s a depressing time of the year and when I get depressed, I buy lipsticks. And I should really avoid buying them on sale, but cheap mistakes are always better than expensive ones… Right?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I dont have any advice @Desperado - I used to do the lipstick thing too when fall/winter/SAD set in.

Now it's eye stuff, liners, shadows, mascara, brushes, creams. I'm not sure that's any better

But both were way better than collecting OPI nail polish/lacquer.

skategal

Bunny mama
My Sephora Collection order came in yesterday. The eyeliners (chocolate brown and teal green) are nice. The lipgloss (Berry go round) and lipliner work well together, but I find them a bit pale for me. The satin lipstick (Never Enough) feels a bit drying and I’m also not sold on the colour.

I’m having a heck of a time finding a proper lip colour now that my hair is mostly silver. It’s bad because it’s a depressing time of the year and when I get depressed, I buy lipsticks. And I should really avoid buying them on sale, but cheap mistakes are always better than expensive ones… Right?
If you haven’t done so, I’d encourage you to go into a Sephora and ask an associate about the best lip colour options.

They are very knowledgeable and will let you try on items (using clean testers and disposable applicators) and often give samples to take home and use for a few days while deciding to purchase.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
If you haven’t done so, I’d encourage you to go into a Sephora and ask an associate about the best lip colour options.

They are very knowledgeable and will let you try on items (using clean testers and disposable applicators) and often give samples to take home and use for a few days while deciding to purchase.
The best advice I ever got was to pull down my lower lip and see if the color I’m looking at goes well or clashes. IMO, it’s the easiest way to rule things in or out so I can focus on the intensity of the color.

Desperado

I always found it hit or miss because the nearest Sephora to me always got a lot of traffic and the associates were more shall we say… youth friendly? I’ll keep it in mind though now that I can show up at a less busy time.

If only MAC had their mini size lipsticks in other finish than matte…

Desperado

So I followed your advice @skategal and went into the store. The salesperson was very efficient and I found a purple red that works in the Lipstories line. I’m not fond of the paper tube though.

Once home, I bought two more in the Rouge Lacquer line.

They were all 50% off, so good time to experiment.

skategal

Bunny mama
So I followed your advice @skategal and went into the store. The salesperson was very efficient and I found a purple red that works in the Lipstories line. I’m not fond of the paper tube though.

Once home, I bought two more in the Rouge Lacquer line.

They were all 50% off, so good time to experiment.
Yay! Glad it worked out for you.

I love the LipStories lipsticks.

They are so good. But I know what you mean about the packaging.

skategal

Bunny mama
It’s 20% off at Sephora with the code YAYGIFTING.

Only for USA.

If you are in Canada, like me, we can PFO. :rolleyes:

First time they didn’t have the code for Canada.

Canadian peeps online are vowing to stop/reduce shopping at Sephora and increase purchasing at The Bay and Shoppers Drug Mart.:argue:

Desperado

I tried and really like the Rouge Lacquer Sephora lipsticks. I love the texture compared to the Silk ones and the container looks great.

I bought another Lipstories because I was desperate to find a fuchsia to replace the non-Sephora one I'm allergic to, but it's too pale for me (no matter what the apparently new sales person told me). It will work well mixed with the darker one I bought last week though. I was also able to create a fabulous colour by mixing the two lip glosses I bought previously so that's a win too.

I'm not allowed to buy any more stuff until at least the Spring.

skategal

Bunny mama
I got my order from the Black Friday sale.

Anastasia Beverly Hills brow pomade (repurchase - I love this stuff.)

Natasha Denona - I Need a Rose Lipstick (50% off) in the shade Peony which is not really pink nor rosy.

It’s Much more of a peach/pink nude shade. It’s nice but not as deep as I usually like.

Ok for summer though.

They forgot to put the samples in my order though. :angryfire

Aceon6

No samples either, but I’m struggling to remember if I picked any as I was more focused on the items available with points. I ordered the last of the KVD liquid lipsticks as they seem to be going the way of the buffalo. Queen of Poisons is a bit too dark for my skin tone, but it’s a great base for both of my favorite shades of Urban Decay Vice lipstick, Rampage and Violate.

skategal

Bunny mama
Anyone have any best or worst of the year products you used that you would like to share?

Best new products I’ve tried this year:

- Essence concealer (late entry as I purchased this two days ago. Lol.)

- Nudie Sticks blush stick (the one with the hydrating core) So good I bought another one in a different colour. One I wear as blush and one as bronzer.

- Revolution Cream Bronzer - as good as high end. A little too dark for me in winter though.

- Quo eyeshadow sticks - set down and doesn’t budge at all.

- Stila Stay all Day Waterproof liquid eyeliner - I’m not much of an eyeliner girl but these stayed on my watery eyes all day. This was an FSU recommendation. Thanks @Aceon6 :cheer2:

- Nars Light Reflecting Foundation. I only had samples of this but I loved it. Will buy when my current foundations get used up.

Lots of Asian makeup I bought in Japan was excellent too but I won’t bother listing as it’s too hard to source in North America.

Worst products will be listed in a separate post.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Worst new product I tried included many liquid products. It was a bad year for liquids.

I tried multiple liquid eyeshadows and they all sucked. Kokie, Mary Kay, and Ilia were tried.

They all looked nice initially but lasted on my eyes for only about an hour (even with NYX glitter glue underneath.) I threw them all in the garbage.

GOSH cosmetics liquid highlighter (a dupe for Charlotte Tilbury squeeze tube highlighters.)

Love the colour but these are so fussy to use. Hard to get out of the package, separates and finicky to use.

Looking forward to 2024 new makeup releases but will probably do a low buy from Jan - March.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I will have to say that NARS tinted moisturizer surprised me in the best of ways. I also loved and hit the pan on NARS bronzer in Vallarta. I was surprised how flattering it was on me.
I plan to try more NARS products in 2024.

Last purchase was charlotte tilbury airbrush flawless foundation. I had the opportunity to try it froma friend, she was N2 and I liked it a lot in May, but in November I purcahsed N1 and wow its amazon on me.

Very high coverege, but very thin. Impressive formula.

I also caved in for concealer circle by Kryolan that allows me to do anything coverege wise.

Best powder was KIKO Radiant Fusion Baked Powder.

I did not have a good year with mascara. Hopefully this Changes in 2024.

Aceon6

I did not have a good year with mascara.
Despite trying everything in the mascara sampler, I still can’t find one better than Lancome Definicils. Easy on with a manageable brush, quick drying, stays on, no flake, and reasonably easy removal.

Desperado

I decided to try the Drunk Elephant retinol oil in the smaller size, of course.

I stopped myself from buying the on sale Tarte stick shadows/eyeliners combo. I’m regretting it…

skategal

Bunny mama
I got a gift card for Christmas from a friend.

I got a mini Givenchy Prisme Libre face powder in pink, mini gift set of lip oils from Clarins and a Drunk Elephant lip balm.

I’ve had the Drunk Elephant lip balm before but not for awhile.

I love it and needed it again as my lips have been suffering lately and Laniege Lip Mask is no longer cutting it.

Aceon6

Santa brought Kiehl’s minis, another of the nearly extinct KVD liquid lipsticks, a Fresh lip balm mini set, a Clinique powder blush, and some Dr. Gross.

I really have to set aside some time after the New Year to go through everything and decide what‘s old enough to toss. I’m sure some of it is good enough to accompany me to Montreal and be left behind, but I have a lot of eye stuff that I use so rarely that it belongs in the bin.

Desperado

The Sephora hydrating lip balm is a fail. Way to sticky and the clear version leaves a slight white cast. Maybe it’s expired, but yuck.

Aceon6

The Sephora hydrating lip balm is a fail. Way to sticky and the clear version leaves a slight white cast. Maybe it’s expired, but yuck.
FWIW, I find the Lawless Forget the Filler overnight balm is da bomb. Pleasant fragrance and not the least bit sticky. Maybe try one of their daytime ones?

Desperado

FWIW, I find the Lawless Forget the Filler overnight balm is da bomb. Pleasant fragrance and not the least bit sticky. Maybe try one of their daytime ones?
Good to know - thanks! I went back to John Black for now.

skategal

Bunny mama
This is a timely discussion.

I think I’ve purchased 5 or 6 different lip balms recently trying to revive my lips.

I think they took a beating on my vacation to the Christmas markets in Europe where we spent hours outside every day.

Summer Friday looks and smells nice but doesn’t hydrate.

Good old Blistex (used many times in the past) nearly ripped my lips off.

Laneige Lip Mask usually works but not this time. Same with the glowy lip balm.

Drunk Elephant I usually love and it’s okay this time.

Tried good old Vaseline. Worked the best so far. :lol:

Just bought Nuxe Reve de Miel. Had this is the past and like it again. Too early to tell if it will work but I have high hopes.

I ordered Aqauphor on Amazon. I’ve heard good things about it.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I ordered Aqauphor on Amazon. I’ve heard good things about it.
Can you get Aquaphor in a local store? You can get the tub and use it on any dry areas, including your lips. When skin is wrecked (hands, lips), I have found Aquaphor to work very well for healing. For me, Blistex is good for maintenance or mild chapping.

skategal

Bunny mama
Can you get Aquaphor in a local store? You can get the tub and use it on any dry areas, including your lips. When skin is wrecked (hands, lips), I have found Aquaphor to work very well for healing. For me, Blistex is good for maintenance or mild chapping.
I’m not sure. I’ll have to look for it next time I’m out.

I ordered the lip balm in stick form from Amazon.

Aceon6

My go to lip treatments are Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy and Nivea Moisture Lip Care. But I will be trying the Lawless Forget the Filler given how great the overnight one is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information