German Skating News 2017/2018

Marta24

I think Quadjump meant German not English.
The article also says that this was his last chance to get the requirement in time for the Olympics :drama:

lizafan

Mayer-Virtanen entered too. Wasn't she supposed to skate pairs this season?

She returned to singles already before the season really started. Her partner (Ivan Aldinger) decided to quit competitive skating. (though I don't know which of these is cause and which is effect)

lizafan

I think Quadjump meant German not English.
The article also says that this was his last chance to get the requirement in time for the Olympics :drama:

Yes. Another test would be possible from legal point of view, but too late to get the citizenship in time.

Poor Aliona. Don't want to think that she never makes it to the throne because always her men fail.

Xela M

I don't understand why the German Government can't step in and grant him citizenship due to exceptional circumstances?

And before people jump down my throat... it does happen and as a naturalised German citizen myself whose parents live in Germany, I can assure you that many people less deserving than Bruno have been granted citizenship without passing a language test (certainly not a written one!). My grandparents can barely speak a word of German just by way of a personal example

Last edited:

text_skate

http://www.eurosport.de/eiskunstlau...uno-masot-weiter-offen_sto6410969/story.shtml

Here's the link to the article. My German is lousy. Must force bf to translate later. But I do understand König saying that he and Aljona has invested a lot of work in this project, but they can't help Bruno learn the language, he must do that himself. "I already speak German".

Oh dear...
Could be done a long time ago
- He did mandatory language test for citizenship on 10th November, results by the end of November
- Due to scheduling (don't know if personal, or administrative) it it won't be possible to repeat the test, and therefore the participation in the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in February 2018 wouldn't be possible because of the missing German passport.

Quote Alexander König:
"That could have been done long ago. It's really annoying that now only a limited amount of time is left. I've made it clear to Bruno when we spoke about it . We put a lot of work in our project - Aljona and I. He has to learn the language himself, I already speak German."

The remaining paragraphs are about Aliona, Nelli and Stefano when they gained their citizenships. Stefano Caruso is the best example. He was Italian, Eu citizenship and therefore a different process than Aliona and in particular Nelli.

Last edited:

text_skate

I don't understand why the German Government can't step in and grant him citizenship due to exceptional circumstances?

And before people jump down by throat... it does happen and as a naturalised German citizen myself whose parents live in Germany, I can assure you that many people less deserving than Bruno have been granted citizenship without passing a language test (certainly not a written one!). My grandparents can barely speak a word of German just by way of a personal example

And do you're grandparents have German citizenship?

S

SmallFairy

Could be done a long time ago
- He did mandatory language test for citizenship on 10th November, results by the end of November
- Due to scheduling (don't know if personal, or administrative) it it won't be possible to repeat the test, and therefore the participation in the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in February 2018 wouldn't be possible because of the missing German passport.

Quote Alexander König:
"That could have been done long ago. It's really annoying that now only a limited amount of time is left. I've made it clear to Bruno when we spoke about it . We put a lot of work in our project - Aljona and I. He has to learn the language himself, I already speak German."

The remaining paragraphs are about Aliona, Nelli and Stefano when they gained their citizenships. Stefano Caruso is the best example. He was Italian, Eu citizenship and therefore a different process than Aliona and in particular Nelli.

Thank you!

Xela M

And do you're grandparents have German citizenship?

Yes, they do. As do many many other Jews from the former USSR who are not required to take language tests. My mother actually works at a Jewish Community Centre. Most of her clients are pensioners (with acquired German citizenship) who speak no German and none of them are OGM hopes for Germany

text_skate

Yes, they do. As do many many other Jews from the former USSR who are not required to take language tests. My mother actually works at a Jewish Community Centre. Most of her clients are pensioners (with acquired German citizenship) who speak no German and none of them are OGM hopes for Germany
This and "persons of German ethnic origin" who (once) were living outside of Germany are the ones who need no language test. The possibility of winning an OGM does not qualify for this, no matter how much we regret this.

Heartwarming idea, this pensioners from the Center competing as OGM hopes :cool:.

Xela M

This and "persons of German ethnic origin" who (once) were living outside of Germany are the ones who need no language test. The possibility of winning an OGM does not qualify for this, no matter how much we regret this.

Yes, but what's the sense in that?!? :wall:

J

Jeschke

Thanks.
Junior dance and pairs included here?

It's good to see, that we have more entries than in the last years, though the level seems pretty pretty low.

So Peterka back for Germany, same with Dimitrescu (who never comepted for ROM, or?) Would he be age eligible for junior worlds still?

Kötting in entries; sounds almost worth a trip to record it. I bet @alchemy void would pay horrendous sums for footage :D

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

Bock is off the roster at Warsaw Cup.
So her 135pts of Minsk do count towards the #olympicrace.
So in theory it's still possible, but I guess, the first girl is out.

text_skate

What a pity that the German fed hadn't entered Weinzierl as a sub

ice crystal

Heartwarming idea, this pensioners from the Center competing as OGM hopes :cool:.
Oh man.... I can't believe Germany (my country of birth) doesn't have a provision to grant him citizenship on the ground of exceptional circumstances. :wall: Australia (my country of choice) has just made Harley Windsor's partner one of us and I'm yet to hear her say something more than, "I'm happy", but who cares... :cheer2: Ok Bruno, don't let us down, will you...

Dolore

I work in the medical field and the majority of nurses and caretakers here in Germany are Eastern Europeans who work extremely hard, long hours for very little money. None of them would get German citizenship without passing a language test. And these people are saving lives on a daily basis without getting any recognition. Isn't that more exeptional than winning an Olympic medal? Why should Bruno get better treatment than people who actually contribute to German society? Because in the end Germany wouldn't care if Aljona and Bruno would win a medal. Most people don't even know who Aljona is after all these years and another Olympic medal wouldn't change it.
Bruno already gets so many advantages, more than Aljona and Robin ever did because the German fed actually supports them financially. He only had two jobs : skate and pass the damn language test. He had 2 or 3 years to do so.
There are more deserving and hard working people who should be getting German citizenship than Bruno and, as much as I would like to see Aljona at the Olympics, I hope the German government does the right thing and won't just hand him citizenship.

text_skate

Oh man.... I can't believe Germany (my country of birth) doesn't have a provision to grant him citizenship on the ground of exceptional circumstances. :wall: Australia (my country of choice) has just made Harley Windsor's partner one of us and I'm yet to hear her say something more than, "I'm happy", but who cares... :cheer2: Ok Bruno, don't let us down, will you...

That's a result of "no emigration law", and probably there will be no change for next 4 years ... politics :rolleyes:.
I just hope that Bruno was learning every night and will pass the test :).

care bear

I think the Bavarian Ministry of Interior will act, like in Aliona´s case 2006, if Bruno did not pass the exam on Nov. 10, so I am pretty sure Bruno will get German passport.

Sedge

I agree with Care Bear.
All it took was a GPF 3rd place finish by Savchenko Szolkowy and the passport happened almost immediately despite real fears prior to GPF that she would not get citizenship in time

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Kötting in entries; sounds almost worth a trip to record it. I bet @alchemy void would pay horrendous sums for footage :D

You have no idea what I’d do for that footage! :grope:

I hope the green pants, midriff, and bedazzled backpack are all back again this year! :40beers: #runboyrun

:fragile:

I hope she recovers, but good lord, get her a different coach. She deserves better.

Slay Weinzierl! I saw that post and was going to share it, too. Although I’ve been converted to #TeamSchott this season, I still want to see Weinzierl as strong as possible. I really do like her LP quite a bit, even with the weather voiceovers. :kickass:

ice crystal

I work in the medical field and the majority of nurses and caretakers here in Germany are Eastern Europeans who work extremely hard, long hours for very little money. None of them would get German citizenship without passing a language test. And these people are saving lives on a daily basis without getting any recognition. Isn't that more exeptional than winning an Olympic medal? Why should Bruno get better treatment than people who actually contribute to German society? Because in the end Germany wouldn't care if Aljona and Bruno would win a medal. Most people don't even know who Aljona is after all these years and another Olympic medal wouldn't change it.
Bruno already gets so many advantages, more than Aljona and Robin ever did because the German fed actually supports them financially. He only had two jobs : skate and pass the damn language test. He had 2 or 3 years to do so.
There are more deserving and hard working people who should be getting German citizenship than Bruno and, as much as I would like to see Aljona at the Olympics, I hope the German government does the right thing and won't just hand him citizenship.
Exceptional in this context is Bruno's unique skill set. He has something with value to offer that no other citizen has - the ability to partner Aliona at this point in time. That's the difference to your health care workers, as commendable as their service is. That Germany doesn't care is probably not quite on the mark, considering consensus about public funding for sport. The partnership has cost taxpayers' money and Germany should forgo the return on its investment? Not the best option imo. :)

Dolore

Exceptional in this context is Bruno's unique skill set. He has something with value to offer that no other citizen has - the ability to partner Aliona at this point in time. That's the difference to your health care workers, as commendable as their service is. That Germany doesn't care is probably not quite on the mark, considering consensus about public funding for sport. The partnership has cost taxpayers' money and Germany should forgo the return on its investment? Not the best option imo. :)

Germany will never make the money back they invested in Aljona and Bruno even if they became Olympic champions because there simply aren't enough sponsors and investors that are willing to support figure skaters. The public opinion about funding of athletes seems to be to end it completely. Everytime there is an article about it the comment sections are full of people complaining that they have to finance somebody else's hobby. It would be very difficult to explain to the public why an athlete in a sport that nobody takes seriously gets all these benefits, especially with the current political climate. There wouldn't be much support for it.
An OGM would be prestigious for the German fed but it wouldn't help them much financially.Just the ransom they had to pay to Didier to release Bruno is higher than anything sponsors would be willing to pay for Aljona.

J

Jeschke

Goot outing by M/D in Warsaw: 59,65pts, 6th place in the SD (3rd hightes TES :respec:)
New ISU PB.
They really progressed; they get solid scores at challengers now too, not only at dubious senior-b's. It's still L/P spot to lose, but the fight is on, M/D won't go down without a fight.
I like their dedication to the program, they are totally into it.
Bring the same in the FD :respec:
#olympicrace

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information